• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halfway through the year...what's your GOTY so far?

Metro Last Light..

I gave in to Gamespot hype over this game, and was pushed over the edge after learning about the developer and wanted to support them. Couldn't be assed to play after 3-4 hours into the game. The graphics seriously remind me of Medal of Honor games from PS1 for some goddamn reason. Did not like it at all, but happy to support the developer.

Metal Gear Solid Rising. Turned out way better than I hoped it would.

TLoU is great, but makes me feel too depressed and frustrated. In no way am I saying it's a lesser game...just not my cup of tea.

rapid32.5

Tomb Raider.

I expect a lot of people will completely disagree with me, and that's fine, I understand why, but for some reason I can't put the game down.

The game is fun to play and the island is a joy to explore. I enjoyed it more than TLOU, gunplay is leap and bounds better, using the bow was more satisfying in Tomb Raider.

chadskin

FC3: Blood Dragon, loved it. Tomb Raider I suppose.

Can't play The Last of Us...PS3 just died :(

Man, Tomb Raider, that was one soulless and only mildly fun game. TLoU blows Crofty away in pretty much every single aspect. I do agree, the bow was more fun in TR.

antitrop

Metal Gear Solid Rising. Turned out way better than I hoped it would.

TLoU is great, but makes me feel too depressed and frustrated. In no way am I saying it's a lesser game...just not my cup of tea.
I haven't played MGR, yet. I am anxiously awaiting the PC port. Vanquish and Bayonetta are unquestionably two of my favorite games of the gen.

ewt3NU6.jpg

I don't care if it's just a mini game.

Drago

Of this year: BioShock Infinite

From another year: Phoenix Wright Trials & Tribulations

2013 games I remember playing so far: Fire Emblem, BioShock, Guacamelee, Luigi Mansion, Donkey Kong 3D, New Leaf, maybe others that I'm forgetting since my memory is shit

Bittercup

Deadly Premonition
The Director's Cut was released this year so it counts. For me one of the best games I have ever played.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
My GOTY came out in 2007. Too bad I can't vote for it.

Aquaria, seriously. One of the best games I've ever played.

Amir0x

Banned
My GOTY came out in 2007. Too bad I can't vote for it.

Aquaria, seriously. One of the best games I've ever played.

Haha, it didn't even come out in any territory on Earth for the first time this year, did it? But that is a fine game. Never did finish it, though. Maybe I should

Wish more people played Antichamber. What a remarkable game.

redcrayon

I can't believe there are people not picking The Last of Us.

This is not up for debate, people.
It looks like the kind of game I'll only play through once, so I'll be picking it up cheap later on this year, along with Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc. Prices drop so fast for AAA action games in the UK that it just doesn't seem worth buying at launch to me.

If it helps, I'm definitely looking forward to playing it and may well revise my vote at the end of the year, I'm just a price-conscientious gamer :D

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
The Last of Us right now.

Honorable mention to Rogue Legacy though. A majority of the modern roguelikes that come out tend to be pretty awesome, but this one is up there with Binding of Isaac and FTL.

LProtag

I have to go with The Last of Us.

I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite, but this game had the greatest blend of gameplay and narrative I've seen in a long time. Nothing worked at dual purposes, everything worked for a unified whole. There wasn't much "this had to be included because it's a videogame" like I found myself saying with Bioshock. Everything for the most part was "this was included because it supported the narrative". I don't think I could give a game better praise than that.

Amir0x

Banned
It looks like the kind of game I'll only play through once, so I'll be picking it up cheap later on this year, along with Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc. Prices drop so fast for AAA action games in the UK that it just doesn't seem worth buying at launch to me.

If it helps, I'm definitely looking forward to playing it and may well revise my vote at the end of the year, I'm just a price-conscientious gamer :D

Heh, don't let people bully you into considering Last of Us. Despite the hyperbole, it's not some supergod game that is beyond reproach. It has plenty of issues and there are plenty of games this year that offer a similar level of quality. :p

Pick what stayed with you.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Out of the ones I've played I have to say BioShock Infinite. But then again, I've been catching up with 2012's games. Will be more in synch at the end of the year.

Think I'm gonna say Fire Emblem: Awakening, but Animal Crossing is really sucking away all my time.

Still haven't played Last of Us, but I can't imagine it beating either one of those. I'm not in any rush to play it at the moment, but I definitely will later in the year.

KLonso

Does Dota 2 count? If not, I can't say definitively if only because Dota 2 has slowed down my progress through my backlog.

I still have plenty of games I want to play through, like Ni no Kuni, Fire Emblem, BioShock Infinite, Sly 4 and more.

Of the games I have played, the one I've enjoyed the most is probably Guacamelee, so that is currently at the top of my list

Sky Chief

This year has been absolutely amazing so far. I feel like I've already played 3-4 games that easily would have been GOTY last year. That said, the Last of Us is definitely my GOTY.

Kabouter

2013 games I've played (except for betas, since NDA):
- SimCity
- Cities in Motion 2

I'm gonna go with neither. Cities in Motion 2 is the better design, but lacks something to make it appealing enough to warrant major praise. SimCity is a mess, still.

TrounceX

I'm thinking hard, and I don't think I've played a single game this year other than 600 hours of Guild Wars 2.

Someone help me.

I can't believe there are people not picking The Last of Us.

This is not up for debate, people.

It's generally not the kind of game that I would pick for GOTY. I'm not a fan of any of the Uncharted games, and while I did like Resident Evil 4 a lot, it didn't get my GOTY back in 2005 either. Though maybe comparing it to those games is doing it a disservice, I don't know. Based on everything I know about it, I can't imagine it would be super high up.

If it places for me for the year, I'm expecting it to be on the low end of the top 10.

redcrayon

Heh, don't let people bully you into considering Last of Us. Despite the hyperbole, it's not some supergod game that is beyond reproach. It has plenty of issues and there are plenty of games this year that offer a similar level of quality. :p

Pick what stayed with you.
Oh, I agree entirely. It's going to be tough competition as I loved FE, and Etrian Odyssey IV looks good too- I put 50 hours each into the previous games and its the only thing I've pre-ordered in ages.

Whenever we vote on these things there is always a slant onwards whatever came out in the last month or so anyway, it's like when Dead Space 2 came out in January a couple of years back, everyone adored it and then forgot about it by December :)

Top Bottom