• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 dropped stasis gun to make the game less sci-fi

Good, one of the bigger problems with the newer Halos is how they take control away from the player. I think keeping it in forge/custom games would have been cool though. Or changing it in to an AoE slowdown effectc instead of a straight up freeze.

I can't believe I'm reading this. TOO SCI-FI?!!

One of my biggest gripes about my boring Halo 4 experience was that the new "alien" weapons were unoriginal. Simple "alien" versions of the same token Earth weapons in every FPS ever.
Did these people ever play a Halo game before? Maybe the Needle Gun should be dropped from the series since it's sci-fi.
It was more sci-fi than previous Halos. The story in halo 4 was awful. It was just stupid. They are making chief so child of prophesy character instead of a badass space marine who against all odds prevails.

Brannon

Why does no one copy the 60fps from cod?

Seriously. When you question a person as to why they like CoD, many times they'll say that 'it's so fast and responsive', or something to that effect. And 60fps is key to that feeling. So when all these CoD clones like Halo 4 come out and leave out the one thing that Activision will kill your family over if you don't achieve it, they're basically just failed right out the gate.

Well, they failed before leaving the gate since they're still just going to go back to CoD anyway since CoD does CoD best, not the others.

Omega

Banned
i wish developers would learn that people that suck will always suck unless they WANT to get better. all this accessibility talk is bullshit. dumbing down games helps no one and no matter how hard they try its never going to work. the player needs the desire to get better and have an understanding of the mechanics.

there's stories about when 3rd Strike released and Japanese players came to play a 5v5 vs US, and because America had no idea how to play or even understood it's mechanics, there was these were top level players that still looked like noobs because they had no desire to learn the game

if even "pros" look like noobs, what the fuck makes you think that you can make a noob instantly good?

i wish developers would learn that people that suck will always suck unless they WANT to get better. all this accessibility talk is bullshit. dumbing down games helps no one and no matter how hard they try its never going to work. the player needs the desire to get better and have an understanding of the mechanics.

there's stories about when 3rd Strike released and Japanese players came to play a 5v5 vs US, and because America had no idea how to play or even understood it's mechanics, there was these were top level players that still looked like noobs because they had no desire to learn the game

if even "pros" look like noobs, what the fuck makes you think that you can make a noob instantly good?

Big reason a lot of player keep logging back into the same game for multiple years.
Either improve skill or keep their skill level.

Now with the shorter dev cycle you hardly have time to even enjoy getting to the top.
Im far from a top player.

But getting 35~40 in halo felt good compared to 5th prestige in cod.

v1oz

I once asked my little nephews why they preferred COD over Halo/Gears etc. And they said because COD is more realistic, you get to play as real soldiers and you're shooting real people not robots or aliens. Basically they said Halo is too far removed from reality and too outlandish to be as enjoyable.

I guess that's why Modern Warfare has been so successful. You get to use real weapons that do exist in the real world. And probably also the reason why racing games with real cars tend to do better than sci-fi racers (Wipeout & F Zero etc) nowadays.

Deku Tree

I played every single Bungie made Halo game on my old xbox and xbox 360.
But I sold my 360 (I was having temporary RRODs) just before Halo 4 came out.
I had no faith in 343, and this news gives me faith in my decision.

oVerde

Banned
Didn't industrywide learned something about play testing as Borderlands' team did? If someone is annoyed with some aspect of your game it isn't rough enough to be a full feature and you should step it higher to mark an identity.
This would be so awesomely awesome!

Love futuristic set games where the weapons make less sense than what we currently use today. Basically majority of the Halo weapons

This is what happens when you use nutless retard ass monkeys in your focus groups.

Edit: beaten.

I wonder what this means for Destiny. Will they remove all higher quality scifi from that too since stupid fatface americans cannot comprehend it?

Uhhh...what?

I read through the entire thread but this post still confuses the crap out of me.

The story was just godawful. They could've really done some good with the whole Sangheli/Human alliance in Halo 3 and having something come off it, but NOPE, 343 had to reset that shit back to square one throwing out a plethora of gaming and story ideas.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I don't think any news out of Microsoft has sounded good in at least a year at this point for me, but this just takes the cake. I knew Halo wasn't going to hit any more highs after Bungie moved on, but I didn't expect a Sonic 06 level drop off with their first full release. I hope that everyone at 343 goes on to somewhat creative products at some point in their lives or burns in the corporate sponsored hell that they have designed for themselves.

Classy. You can leave now.

I can see why Ryan Payton walk away from 343. Good job, David Ellis.

You too.

Man, are people just being dicks on Gaf today or what? Seriously guys, have qualms with the game, sure, but attacking people at 343? Not necessary.

ciridesu

Count me in the group that doesn't really get it. There's a reason everyone loves them some COD and that is in due to the controls and fluidity.

Again, with Halo and other games. Why do so many games attempt to imitate COD, when you can't beat it in its own game. COD is the best at what it does, and other publishers should accept that. Carving your own identity is crucial, and is the reason why series such as Elder Scrolls are so popular. In the shooter-genre too, Battlefield and Halo are merely the exception to the rule. They thrive on their own merits and should try their best not to lose what is unique about them, not risk being yet another random inferior shooter that you skip in favor of a game like COD.

VariantX

Good, one of the bigger problems with the newer Halos is how they take control away from the player. I think keeping it in forge/custom games would have been cool though. Or changing it in to an AoE slowdown effectc instead of a straight up freeze.

Why not work them in as a grenade type rather than the silly forerunner grenades that we have now? From all the time ive spent playing it up until I just got bored with it, I've never been killed by nor seen anyone in game kill with those useless things.

IHaveIce

Banned
I also love the comment about how they are sad their new weapons aren't that much used... are you kidding me?

The Boltshot was abused to hell and back the first months by almost everyone in MM, As soon as someone can get the Binary Rifle or Incinneration Cannon they are going for it because they are damn OP weapons suited for easy killing.

The Scattershot is too useless compared to the preTU Boltshot or Shotgun, it is only really frightening with a damage boost stacked.

Lightrifle is a good weapon but compared to the DMR just a bad choice, if you want to be 100% sure you have a good chance of killing you go for another rifle.

and lastly the surpressor, seriously now in the FFA playlist it seems like it is the first time this thing is usefull, I mean it was quite handy in Campaign, but I like the other Automatic weapons more.

And lastly th pulse grenade, it is good when you use it right, but most of the time a frag grenade does the job better.

OTher new weapons like the Sticky Detonator just seem inferior to their previous counterparts ( Grenade Launcher from Reach)

It isn't that we don't use the weapons because we hate them, it is because they aren't that usefull.

Man no halo game had a good sandbox like Halo CE, every weapon had its role nowadays everything feels like a slightly altered copy of another weapon

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is seriously an image they used in their presentation:

haloaccess_25223.nphd78ub2.jpg

Sounds like three things every major game is trying to do right now and has been for years. Why do you think CoD4 happened? Because they wanted to reinvent their series and bring in new users while making the game more accessible.

Sounds like three things every major game is trying to do right now and has been for years. Why do you think CoD4 happened? Because they wanted to reinvent their series and bring in new users while making the game more accessible.

There's a universe to contextualize in COD?

News to me.

Rlan

I don't know how the hell people got Halo Handicapped thought from that image. It's clearly a sign of accessibility. Have you never seen this?

451px-Handicapped_Accessible_sign.svg.png

eot

Banned
Maybe the problem was their weapon design and not the fact that it was too sci-fi. It's not like the needler is a traditional weapon.

Havok

I don't think it's been mentioned - that stasis gun is still hidden in the game's code.

It looks unbelievably annoying to deal with in multiplayer when your mobility is the one defense you have in open areas.

(of course, if the reason for cutting it was that it was annoying to deal with, then by that same token the Boltshot, Binary Rifle, and Incineration Cannon shouldn't have made it into the game either)

RIP video games.

I was really disappointed when I seen that the Promethean weapons were pretty much the same as human weapons but with alterations.

Seriously. When you question a person as to why they like CoD, many times they'll say that 'it's so fast and responsive', or something to that effect. And 60fps is key to that feeling. So when all these CoD clones like Halo 4 come out and leave out the one thing that Activision will kill your family over if you don't achieve it, they're basically just failed right out the gate.

Well, they failed before leaving the gate since they're still just going to go back to CoD anyway since CoD does CoD best, not the others.

This is something i've mentioned a lot before and i find endlessly frustrating. You're absolutely right as well, i've heard from so many different people that like COD that they like it for the exact reasons you mention. They don't know what 30FPS or 60FPS is but they know the game feels different.

Then we constantly hear that 60FPS isn't worth it and you have to make to many sacrifices to achieve it. I'm not saying halo has to go in that direction i just find it funny how long people have been chasing the COD money and still can't figure that out.

wwm0nkey

Halo didn't need to be more accessible, I said this before but ranks in Halo 2 made you learn about the game on your own time where as games now match you with people well above your skill level.

Aaron

It's because focus groups tell them that 60FPS doesn't matter, but then complain that other games lack the fluid feeling of COD. They don't understand what 60FPS brings them, but they know it when they don't have it.

soldat7

I once asked my little nephews why they preferred COD over Halo/Gears etc. And they said because COD is more realistic, you get to play as real soldiers and you're shooting real people not robots or aliens. Basically they said Halo is too far removed from reality and too outlandish to be as enjoyable.

I guess that's why Modern Warfare has been so successful. You get to use real weapons that do exist in the real world. And probably also the reason why racing games with real cars tend to do better than sci-fi racers (Wipeout & F Zero etc) nowadays.

When you say it like that...it sounds...disturbing?

Unfortunate, but good for 343 to be able to even publicly say that it's dropped due to focus testing. This is what happens when games cost millions of dollars, making the higher-ups request repeated focus testing so that they don't potentially waste their investments.

This is probably the tip of the iceberg of all the other games who've been defanged by focus testing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
There's a universe to contextualize in COD?

News to me.

You better believe there is. Not so far as multiplayer being "within" the same storyline, but the CoD universe is self-contained.

Halo didn't need to be more accessible, I said this before but ranks in Halo 2 made you learn about the game on your own time where as games now match you with people well above your skill level.

That wasn't my point. I just see people posting that image and getting angry at the "accessible" part when every game for the past decade (or more) has been trying to be more accessible. No one's goal is to make a less accessible game.

scarybore

I don't think it's been mentioned - that stasis gun is still hidden in the game's code.

It looks unbelievably annoying to deal with in multiplayer when your mobility is the one defense you have in open areas.

Cheers for the video, never seen it before. Didn't expect the bubble shield like effect but the movement speed penalty is exactly what I imagined from the name and you are no doubt right, it would get bloody annoying in multiplayer after the first 5 minutes. Would have been cool as a rare campaign weapon though.

Shame there aren't a few more unique weapons in Halo. The original game had weapons made for specific purpose and since Halo 2, that's kind of gone out the window and each faction has to have a corresponding gun which is very limiting and boring (even if in real life, it would totally make sense).

wwm0nkey

You better believe there is. Not so far as multiplayer being "within" the same storyline, but the CoD universe is self-contained.

That wasn't my point. I just see people posting that image and getting angry at the "accessible" part when every game for the past decade (or more) has been trying to be more accessible. No one's goal is to make a less accessible game.

I just wish developers and publishers (since they sadly do have a say) would realize there are different ways at making a game more accessible rather than going the Call of Duty route though. The 1-50 system was a perfect way of having a skill gap but making it easy to get into.

I could go over my "why 1-50" made Halo 2 very accessible argument again but I don't feel like typing all of that right now.

More accessible, less scifi. WTF 343? Remember which game you signed on to make? Halo. A scifi game where you're a giant in a metallic suit battling religious aliens Nd long gone forerunner machines. Less scifi fucking A.....

mrgreen

Banned
While I'm not a fan of the Stasis gun (if that's the one that freezes the enemies, like in System Shock 2) they should have left it in for those who want to use it, at least. Halo should be a sci-fi shooter, much more than most other games should. It's the biggest appeal of the series to me.

I can't believe that they thought that they had to make Halo more accessible when the Easy and Normal difficulty settings are set way easier than any other game I've ever played.

Anyway, I think this is what happens when too many people to ignore, who are probably casual fans, decide that a game needs freshening up.(I am not a fan of COD4.)

I still have hope that the next Halo games will be fantastic.

TheOddOne

More accessible, less scifi. WTF 343? Remember which game you signed on to make? Halo. A scifi game where you're a giant in a metallic suit battling religious aliens Nd long gone forerunner machines. Less scifi fucking A.....
Did you even read the article? The title is just click bait if you read the actual thing.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

(of course, if the reason for cutting it was that it was annoying to deal with, then by that same token the Boltshot, Binary Rifle, and Incineration Cannon shouldn't have made it into the game either)

updated OP

Top Bottom