• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 launch trailer (David Fincher, Tim Miller) premiering Oct. 18th

Looked great in every way, except for the face shot of John on the beach, and his mother/Cortana flashes. That felt disconnected, and like others have said before, the early bits lack emotional impact.

Better editing and music that conveyed something beyond dread would have taken this to the next level. But as it is, its enough to garner interest, and I don't think you have to know the fiction to know whats going on: Kid on beach, kid gets taken by soldiers, prepped with others, surgically enhanced (another doesn't make it), suited in armor, engages in battle, captured and scanned by the big bad. It puts a boy and a man behind that suit of armor. We learn as the ancient evil learns.

It works for what it is.

The thing though, it showed the Spartan 2 program. Which was brutal and many did not pass it.

Kids are kidnapped, copies ("cones") of them are left for the parents:

They were augmented, but some can't take the intense nature of it:

Very few survived it:

Ad was very much looking back at the canon that had been talked about briefly. They went over a bit too much too fast in the trailer though.

Cool, thanks.

I agree with others. It's great with the exception of that one face shot on the beach, and the music isn't memorable at all. Everything else gets better each time I view it.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Neil seems to be missing the point of Halo totally and sees it as some Hollywood movie. I've heard the entire ost as well.

Pretty much this, the only good thing is that at least he brought an old song back.

The music just doesn't feel HALO'ish.

Why do companies keep making these uncanny valley CGI humans for slow shots? Fast special effects shots only. Human actors are still employable are they not? Use them. Otherwise you get terrible shit like that kid on the beach.
Are you blind? This was a live action trailer. The kid was human, not CGI.

Most of what you guys just posted... i never actually knew about halo so thanks for the information..i don't understand how anyone but the super hardcore would know whats going on.. in my opinion it's my least favorite halo trailer of all time.

Very, very surprising they went so deep into the back story of John considering generic Halo fan knows nothing beyond multiplayer and teabagging.

XAL

So master chief is chi-negro? Do not get.

Negro? really?

Chief is the little white boy from the beginning of the video and the grown ass white man at the end of the video getting his armor put on.

The other guy was a spartan candidate that didn't make it (as seen through John's eyes).

You did not get it.

Umm we don't have a Halo movie because...?

I'm liking the correlation between Cortana and Chief's mom too.

Great trailer. hype X ∞

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios

Great trailer. hype X ∞

there was going to be one but MS wanted most of the royalty fees and control over the movie but that's not how movie industry works, the movie later became district 9.

hahahahha. No.

You think generic Halo fan knew about how the SPARTAN-II program was started by ONI where they would steal genetically-gifted children, replace them with flash clones who would die a few years later, put the children through extreme augmentation and throw armor on them?

TheOddOne

Cortana is Halo's mum.
tumblr_lseiola6Ph1ql141xo1_500.gif

This universe is really dark and dreary, isn't it.
Bad enough to steal children from their homes, conduct wildy dangerous surgical experiments on them, and subject them to military training all of their lives.

And thats before the Aliens started their whole genocide thing. The Chief was trained to take out other people, colony farmers and workers engaged in rebellion: The insurrectionists, or "innies".

You think generic Halo fan knew about how the SPARTAN-II program was started by ONI where they would steal genetically-gifted children, replace them with flash clones who would die a few years later, put the children through extreme augmentation and throw armor on them?
You don't need to know the name of the program or anything about flash cloning to know the Chief was a super soldier. And for those new to the series this ad reinforces his humanity. At least that he's flesh and blood, and not a robot or robocop.

Oh and 343 lied. In an early interview they said we won't see master chiefs face.
Holy shit I just saw Chief's face.
Aw I'm not master chief I saw his face dawg. Kinda wish there would have been a bit more ambiguity toward his identity.
You guys are talking about his face as a kid, right? I mean, that doesn't really count. That's who Chief was, not who he is now. The Chief that we know; they're not showing his face.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Was that really the launch trailer? where are the review quotes like "the best halo yet" or "goty 2012" or "chief is back" and shit like that?

HALO 2 announcement trailer >>> HALO 3 announcement trailer > HALO 3 'Starry Night' trailer > HALO REACH 'Deliver Hope' trailer >>>>>>>>>> this ginger-haired disappointment.

Sojgat

smh. You can say what you want about the impact of the trailer, but you really think it was not well made?

Some of the composite shots, like the one on the beach, are atrocious, the narrative is unclear (I understood it, but it's obvious some people are confused), and the little action shown was unimpressive. The music sucks.

This has me worried and I'm listening to the OST. Are there any propulsive tracks at all? Everything sounds suited to establishing shots in big budget sci fi movies.

Cortana is Halo's mum.

lol this is how many will interpret the scene though.

Was that really the launch trailer? where are the review quotes like "the best halo yet" or "goty 2012" or "chief is back" and shit like that?

If they do those pull quotes, they will save them for the tv commercials. Or the gameplay trailer we will get soon.

Have Microsoft typically done those quote trailers? I don't remember ever seeing one.

TheOddOne

As is said multiple times in this thread, there will be a gameplay trailer. There has always a live action and gameplay trailer before the game releases.

there was going to be one but MS wanted most of the royalty fees and control over the movie but that's not how movie industry works, the movie later became district 9.

Only connection between the Halo movie and District 9 is Neil Blomkamp.

The Halo movie never "became" District 9, the axe on the Halo movie simply gave Peter Jackson the ability to give Blomkamp the opportunity he wanted to make District 9

Bad enough to steal children from their homes, conduct wildy dangerous surgical experiments on them, and subject them to military training all of their lives.

And thats before the Aliens started their whole genocide thing. The Chief was trained to take out other people, colony farmers and workers engaged in rebellion: The insurrectionists, or "innies".

\You don't need to now the name of the program or anything about flash cloning to know the Chief was a super soldier. And for those new to the series this ad reinforces his humanity. At least that he's flesh and blood, and not a robot or robocop.

I agree, but I was responding to that other poster. He dismissed my original post in the thread.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, meant to multi-quote.

Negro? really?

Chief is the little white boy from the beginning of the video and the grown ass white man at the end of the video getting his armor put on.

The other guy was a spartan candidate that didn't make it (as seen through John's eyes).

You did not get it.

no no Chief is samoan and his name is dwayne johnson

attachment.php

Squire

Banned

Great trailer. hype X ∞

I liked that, too.

I'll also say, as a relatively new fan, I like how they're teasing the villain in this. I guess people who know the lore know very well who it is, but I'm still wet behind the ears, still discovering and delving into the universe so I look forward to be introduced to who or what it is in the final game.

Nibel

Halo has one of the most epic themes in video game history

Why don't you fucking use it in your launch trailer

So when are they going to come full circle on the Ender's Game appropriations and reveal that these Forerunner dudes were just trying to communicate with us, not kill us?

Top Bottom