• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Omni

fWMtAFE.png

so there's that
Ooooh. Let's just hope that they don't pull a Palmer on us again.

Whoever he is, his armour looks badass. Very futuristic. Makes Master Chief's look outdated in comparison. I like it.

Woorloog

Banned
Gonna be some hot spartan on spartan action.
Ship it!

The game has only just been revealed, and you're already shipping the Chief with the new Spartan. That was fast.

What you say is way too good not to misinterpret creatively on purpose

Fracas

#fuckonami
I like that title card art, but chief shouldn't be inverted on the bottom imo. I'd personally have them facing different directions but on the same axis. Keeps that separation while also having the iconic character up front and distinct.

Ooooh. Let's just hope that they don't pull a Palmer on us again.

Whoever he is, his armour looks badass. Very futuristic. Makes Master Chief's look outdated in comparison. I like it.

I don't get why brown, though. I don't think brown has ever looked great on the Spartan armors. If it is Marlowe's suit, and he's a black guy, well... seems a little broadcast-y. 343 pls.

It'll probably get lost to the Guardians madness today, but I submitted my track Schiavona Sarabande for The GAF Tape today and it's heavily inspired by Halo 4's Intruders and a classic Combat Evolved track. See if you can figure out which, there's a homage hidden somewhere in the track.

Mix

Ah, gotcha.

Also, any reason why you guys went with a subtitle for this one? I understand if you don't want to reveal right now, just thought I'd ask just in case.

edit:
Case is placeholder, just like halo 4 had double fisting chief
EDIT: Holy shit, it says it REQUIRES kinect, not better with it

People saying they would want ADS in the gaming section, that would be really gross. Excited for this though, I'm glad it's coming out next year rather than this fall. That seemed really rushed. I really didn't like the scale of Halo 4, too many corridors, glad this game is claiming to have more scale. I hope they deliver.

That's some nice armor she has.

Very stylish armor but still Halo 4 robot designs

Wait. Is Palmer ONI specifically?

ttc5.png

I haven't really paid too much attention to post Halo 3 timeline stuff aside from Halo 4 (nor have I read the latest book yet) but the ONI logo makes me think it's Naomi or something. /wild speculation

It comfirms ONI is officially chasing chief, maybe they want to cut loose ends like they want to do with Halsey, maybe its one of Kilo Five team.

So confirmed to be a Spartan IV?

It is, just look at his chest and the armor is still relying on showing less armor and more black suit layer armor

EDIT: Oh, they decided to fuse the armor pieces with the black layer armor, perhaps humanity finally integrated the armor to the human body like the prometheans knights, the librarian profecy is finally reaching they right to take the mantle.

Also the ONI icon its pretty creepy in a spartan, reminds me of halsey scolding Carter in Reach of just being puppets of ONI.

Woorloog

Banned
Could it be Chief in SIV Mjolnir Armor?

I don't find that impossible.
Consider this, apparently the Chief has vanished, but what if that is a cover and he is working for ONI, to find Halsey? For that, he might get a new armor. EDIT of course, the fact the new Spartan is called a new character kind of makes this impossible idea.

I don't find that impossible.
Consider this, apparently the Chief has vanished, but what if that is a cover and he is working for ONI, to find Halsey? For that, he might get a new armor. EDIT of course, the fact the new Spartan is called a new character kind of makes this impossible idea.

ONI wants to kills Halsey

Woorloog

Banned
ONI wants to kills Halsey

And? First, the goal might change, secondly, there can be multiple factions within ONI, third, what if they would just use the Chief to find Halsey?

EDIT existing information is rarely a limit for any medium, even if it doesn't make sense.
EDIT nor are odd ideas that are not really good rare in fiction. There are a lot of stupid plots, and Halo has its share of those already (Sending the Chief to find Halsey and tail him would be a really stupid idea from ONI actually. Because the Chief would almost certainly defend Halsey, and almost certainly also win. If ONI doesn't take the Chief's track record into account, they're utter morons).

And? First, the goal might change, secondly, there can be multiple factions within ONI, third, what if they would just use the Chief to find Halsey?

EDIT existing information is rarely a limit for any medium, even if it doesn't make sense.
EDIT nor are odd ideas that are not really good rare in fiction. There are a lot of stupid plots, and Halo has its share of those already (Sending the Chief to find Halsey and tail him would be a really stupid idea from ONI actually. Because the Chief would almost certainly defend Halsey, and almost certainly also win. If ONI doesn't take the Chief's track record into account, they're utter morons).

I'm still not sure if 343 wants us as the audience to hate Halsey now. I find it hard to dislike her still despite the war crimes shes been doing. I don't necessarily agree with ONI's slanted view of what she's done.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm still not sure if 343 wants us as the audience to hate Halsey now. I find it hard to dislike her still despite the war crimes shes been doing. I don't necessarily agree with ONI's slanted view of what she's done.

I have no idea either. Very confusing.

Based on Nylund's books: She is someone who believes she is right, believes end justifies means, and thinks herself more or less infallible. She is also a huge coward (she runs and lures Spartans to "safety" because she didn't think the UNSC could win the war. Very stupidly executed and shortsighted escape attempt). She does have some guilt about the Spartans but doesn't exactly hate herself. She is definitively divisive character.

Based on Traviss writing... i understand ONI would paint her as a demon, and that is actually rather interesting, and others seeing her as someone bad and evil is okay. But her starting to hate herself too, something she did't do before (the change was very sudden really). Consistency with previous books has vanished, or at least weakened severely, when it comes to her internal characterization. EDIT Stinkles comment is illuminating: By painting Halsey as demon in public, they limit her options to working with ONI or not working at all.

Then there's Spartan Ops with its rather confusing writing. Of course she is willing to work with the Elites as it is about the Forerunners, something the UNSC doesn't seem to understand, and the UNSC treatment of her is pretty bad. I can almost sympathize her (if i forget i don't agree with her, i dislike "end justifies means" concept very much), she surely seems much more sympathetic character than others in SpOps.

EDIT

Hmm. That makes sense. So it is mostly Osman who has a "i want to kill you" grudge?

Fair point, knowing they use her to built the Infinity and still rely on her knowledge about mostly everything. Its the Halo version of Doctor House.

Wait, what if the new spartan guy is the new Noble 6 and you can customized him/her like Reach!!!!??? OH YESSS please do it 343i!!!

That's more the sentiment I was feeling.

Though Osman's view of her is less forgiving - in Mortal Dictata she goes on how Halsey is no better than a huragok. Also how even though her scientific breakthroughs turned the technology tide on humanity, she said something to the effect that it's no different than seeing destroyed cities as an opportunity for brand new, better architecture to rise. Kind of sickening.

I wish that had been Palmer. I thought she was a really well-written character.

I felt like Palmer was a weak character who was pushed on us. Not a fan.

Woorloog

Banned
I felt like Palmer was a weak character who was pushed on us. Not a fan.

That's exactly what she is. She is portrayed as snarky as if people would like that from a professional soldier. She is portrayed as "cool", by having relatively unique armor, coloring and dual wielding (not to mention lacking helmet most of the time). She gets pointless screentime. She has well known voice actor probably to boost her. She is supposedly badass but never really does anything. And she fixes issues by kicking them, what.
Ugh. Get rid of her.

Perhaps some additional writing might help, but i think it would be better just to get rid of her, preferably in some meh way, she doesn't deserve a heroic exit.

I want to fight the Flood. I want to see Chief getting Cortana's chip back from the Gravemind:

Gravemind_-_Origins.png

I want to ally with Chakas and go back to war with the former might of the Forerunners.

Well, I for one, am not surprised in the least.

Hyped to high hell and back, but not surprise. Prophet NTKRNL foretold of this in 1 Leaks 2:15

Bring on E3 and Halo 2 Anniversary, the greatest Halo of them all.

(Come at me)

Posting again:

I bet it's 'Marlowe'.

TV veteran Mike Colter is set to star in Sergio Mimica-Gezzan's new chaptered “Halo” digital feature project(...)
Expected to follow the same format as Machinima's “Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn,” the story is set in the 26th century and follows a surgically-enhanced super soldier who is not Master Chief, TheWrap has learned.

Instead, Colter is expected to play Marlowe, a rising star in a futuristic army who is troubled by aspects of the military industrial complex he inhabits. Approaching combat situations with caution and logic, he inspires loyalty in his fellow Spartans.

It just makes sense.

Takashi

WAIT KINECT REQUIRED?]

Frankie, seriously, what does this mean? It's seriously required to play the game?

I'd put as much weight on that as thinking the rating pending might mean its rated teen.

I really hope they give some sort of acknowledgement to events that happened pre Halo 4. Obviously they will acknowledge stuff from 4, the comics, and various media, but make the whole timeline tie together. It sometimes feels like the original trilogy is something we should forget about, at least from the new games' standpoint. Also, make the stories self contained enough so that we don't have another Didact situation again.

Tzeentch

Though Osman's view of her is less forgiving - in Mortal Dictata she goes on how Halsey is no better than a huragok. Also how even though her scientific breakthroughs turned the technology tide on humanity, she said something to the effect that it's no different than seeing destroyed cities as an opportunity for brand new, better architecture to rise. Kind of sickening.
-- Osman was ONI indoctrinated, and was molded by Parangoski to continue all of her work and have the same worldview. I wouldn't take anything they say about Halsey at face value, as they were just as complicit -- if not more so -- in ethically reprehensible behavior before, during, and after the war against the Covenant.
-- And just because Osman is CINCONI doesn't mean she controls every aspect of the organization, or is even aware of what agents are doing. And lets not forget the UEG is going to be flexing its authority over the military at some point, and could use parts of ONI for its own purposes counter to what Osman personally wants to do (which is flat-out kill Halsey).

Fuchsdh

Posting again:

I bet it's 'Marlowe'.

It just makes sense.

I dunno, sounds like the guy ONI wouldn't send to do its dirty work.

As for Halsey--a la Stinkles I think people are getting way too caught up on the "demonizing" Halsey train. It's made pretty clear that the hatred for Halsey has a lot to do with damage control, spin, and personal payback as it does with actual disdain with her actions.

I'm concerned about how you bring this into the video games though. If ONI becomes an actively antagonistic force in the games you're going to have to handle it with the deftness of a political thriller. Convoluted MGS stories are bad.

That's more the sentiment I was feeling.

I do hope we get more of Osman. She's really a kind of tragic figure to me--warped by her horrible experiences with Halsey, and then sort of distorted again by an opposing force of Parangosky. I think it's entirely possibly that like Parangosky Osman truly believes she's acting rationally and merely more pragmatically than most, but it's all tainted by active hate.

Top Bottom