• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Mass Effect 3 style Firefight would be awesome. Difficult but relatively short, combined with addictive reward system. With classes, like Spartan II, III, IV, Elite, Brute, Grunt, etc, all customizable.

Solid idea. On top of that, bring back Firefight Versus and have classes for both UNSC and Covenant with controllable boss characters being the Flood.

EDIT:
Frank is only talking about the visual ID content. Period.

Who's Frank? Question mark?

Mistel

Banned
tumblr_inline_n3cvwsFuzF1srs6qh.gif

Now begins the wait to see if there's ADS.

Caladrius

Mass Effect 3 style Firefight would be awesome. Difficult but relatively short, combined with addictive reward system. With classes, like Spartan II, III, IV, Elite, Brute, Grunt, etc, all customizable.

I would throw all my money at the screen for playable Hunters.

Woorloog

Banned
Solid idea. On top of that, bring back Firefight Versus and have classes for both UNSC and Covenant with controllable boss characters being the Flood.

ME3 MP is so good, yet it has a lot of potential for expanding it and making it better.

Of course ME3 is a third person cover shooter with powers, so it wouldn't translate to Halo perfectly, but i think the concept is solid enough, and more importantly, strikes a good balance between Reach and ODST firefights, difficult but not endless.

What I want from Halo 5:

- 1-50 ranking system

I'm certain this won't return, no matter how many wish it were so. We'll probably get another stab at some kind of ranking system ( they employed the SC guy) but it won't be a straight visible in game 1-50. They've disparaged it too much in previous comments to 180 on it. UNLESS... Dedicated servers can somehow circumvent the cheating issues.

Juan

NO. We've tried it. Didn't work. Scrappy Doo it and bring back the winning formula.

Don't care what could be. It won't be.

Firefight.

The second half of the Spartan Ops was pretty excellent imo, and the SpOps was an excellent idea to get something like a playable Halo TV serie.

Yeah, it was not the best way it could have been done in Halo 4, but it was a good try and I truly think 343 Industries could achieve something great in Halo 5 with the Spartan Ops model, and the learning curve they had with Halo 4.

While i am happy to read this, it isnt the way that Traviss wrote the k5 trilogy.
soon
ish
™

Already hit you up on fb.
The first mission of halo 5 should be unloading a full clip into a copy of halo 4, Inglorious Bastards style.
Hype increasing

ads confirmed :(
I think that since 343 heard so much backlash that they wouldn't blatantly change one of the core things about halo. but im being cautiously optimistic.

Homeboyd

The second half of the Spartan Ops was pretty excellent imo, and the SpOps was an excellent idea to get something like a playable Halo TV serie.

Yeah, it was not the best way it could have been done in Halo 4, but it was a good try and I truly think 343 Industries could achieve something great in Halo 5 with the Spartan Ops model, and the learning curve they had with Halo 4.
They could do something great with FF. They haven't tried yet.

Why do you do this?

Will it get addressed at E3?

It'll get addressed the same way Destiny did it - by revealing some first-person gaming footage only to have the classic BR use aim down sights in the middle of a fight.

Shortly after, Frank will damage control with "It's a weapon attachment. The Battle Rifle comes with a scope variation too." with minimal clarification.

Come launch, it'll boil down to personal loadout preference just like Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades and you'll seldom find flinchless, descope-enabled scope-only Battle Rifle start matches.

Takashi

Maybe you get to play simultaneous campaigns like Halo 2, except Not-Chief has all the modern twitch shooter mechanics like ADS, sprint, and a bunch of AAs ONI's advanced tech provides, while as Chief you get your standard classic Halo mechanics. When they inevitably fight and Chief stabs Not-Chief in the jugular, it'll be some meta-commentary on how arena gameplay>modern shooters. Or something.

TheXbox

It'll get addressed the same way Destiny did it - by revealing some first-person gaming footage only to have the classic BR use aim down sights in the middle of a fight.

Shortly after, Frank will damage control with "It's a weapon attachment. The Battle Rifle comes with a scope variation too." with minimal clarification.

Come launch, it'll boil down to personal loadout preference just like Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades and you'll seldom find flinchless, descope-enabled scope-only Battle Rifle start matches.
Way too real, man.

Maybe you get to play simultaneous campaigns like Halo 2, except Not-Chief has all the modern twitch shooter mechanics like ADS, sprint, and a bunch of AAs ONI's advanced tech provides, while as Chief you get your standard classic Halo mechanics. When they inevitably fight and Chief stabs Not-Chief in the jugular, it'll be some meta-commentary on how arena gameplay>modern shooters. Or something.

I'm actually hoping for something like this, but I don't think 343's ballsy enough to make that kind of commentary.

No, Keep ADS away from Halo. Halo 4 was already a major departure from the formula. 343 already faced that backlash, i dont think they want more.

I would have believed you if you had put "Trust Us" or "Feels like Halo" somewhere in there

Juan

They could do something great with FF. They haven't tried yet.

I agree.

Well, Firefight, in itself, is a bit limited, in a story telling side I mean. It's just an arcade mode, it was great in ODST btw, I liked it, but I don't think Spartan Ops should be out and replaced by Firefight only because it was not something gorgeous (it was great once again imo) in Halo 4.

343 has just scratched the surface of Spatan Ops and his potential.

But you could have both, like Destiny seems to have Strike and Raid.

I agree.

Well, Firefight, in itself, is a bit limited, in a story telling side I mean. It's just an arcade mode, it was great in ODST btw, I liked it, but I don't think Spartan Ops should be out and replaced by Firefight only because it was not something gorgeous (it was great once again imo) in Halo 4.

I could play FF without having to have XBL gold. Spartan Ops is sitting on my hard drive but lo and behold i cant play it without gold...

Hell i can even play Horde and Beast modes without Gold.

Homeboyd

I agree.

I guess that's my (main) problem with SpOps vs FF, I just don't care about the story. Would much rather a fun game mode than a bunch of cinematic stuff. I know less about halo lore than anyone... probably won't change. ODST FF was done the right way. Expand on it with some of Reach's customization options, maps, more interactive maps like you see with Horde mode (we know they like buttons). They could throw some story/cinematic stuff in there if they wanted to but I'm skipping it. I know I'm in the minority on that point.

Better game mode > story time

Halo has become unique by being one of the few games without ADS, other shooters boil down to the same gameplay of LT+RT and it's just boring, it stagnates the entire genre. Halo better not go down the same path.

Takashi

I'm actually hoping for something like this, but I don't think 343's ballsy enough to make that kind of commentary.

Tbh they probably will end up joining forces against the man similar to the arbiter. Doubt they'll spend half a game developing a character just to kill him off.

No, Keep ADS away from Halo. Halo 4 was already a major departure from the formula. 343 already faced that backlash, i dont think they want more.

Oh no I agree, I was simply joining in the speculation.

Woorloog

Banned
You know, funny thing about about ADS, Halo gameplay and arena shooters.
Those arena shooters i've played (Quake, Unreal Tournament, perhaps old Jedi Knights count too, probably some others in some form?), they don't have scoped weapons aside from snipers, Halos on the other hand have always had more scoped weapons, and using those scopes has been integral to gameplay.
And scoped weapons are really only a step away from ADS.
Strictly speaking, it is probably possible to implement ADS that doesn't affect negatively to movement or other stuff, of course at that point one might ask, why bother?
I'm not saying Halo should have ADS, just making observations.

I think it's a tricky conversation to have, and I'd state it differently to different audiences, but for gaf, which is techy, more or less, it's a completely new engine. There are TONS of mechanics and numbers brought in from prior games, and even some code, but basically every system and tool has been rewritten or rebuilt for the new hardware and its ecosystem.

oh thank jeebus

But hopefully not too much salvaged code...

Juan

I guess that's my (main) problem with SpOps vs FF, I just don't care about the story. Would much rather a fun game mode than a bunch of cinematic stuff. I know less about halo lore than anyone... probably won't change. ODST FF was done the right way. Expand on it with some of Reach's customization options, maps, more interactive maps like you see with Horde mode (we know they like buttons). They could throw some story/cinematic stuff in there if they wanted to but I'm skipping it. I know I'm in the minority on that point.

Better game mode > story time

Oh okay, I understand now. Can't say you're wrong, I enjoyed FF so much in ODST (and a bit less in Reach because it was way too easy, didn't have the feeling I HAD to survive wave after wave), but I was happy to get something new in Halo.

But yeah, we could have both, like a playable FF on Spartan Ops maps I guess.

And +1 for Ragnarok Flames, should have been available for no-Gold member too.

Woorloog

Banned
Still speaking of ADS, i want some Marine or ODST based Halo spinoff first person tactical squad shooter, with ADS. Something akin the first Ghost Recon (it was tactical FPS, wasn't it?) perhaps, or perhaps Star Wars Republic Commando.

RoKKeR

And then there's this...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/16/halo-the-master-chief-collection/

Master Chief is getting a facelift with an HD collection of his exploits. We've learned that Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo 4 are being collected in a Master Chief-focused HD remaster coming from Microsoft. Our sources say that the set will zero in on Halo's most famous soldier to refresh audience's memories ahead of Halo 5's release, so curiosities like Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach likely won't be a part of the package. The game's developer is unknown at this point, but considering that Saber Interactive handled Combat Evolved Anniversary and is also working on an unannounced Xbox One project, the team is a likely suspect. Also unclear are plans for digital distribution, resolution and frame-rate (Microsoft bragged that will run at the next Halo will run at a "blistering" 60fps), piecemeal releases, or if the games will surface on other platforms as well (PC, anyone?).

Any thoughts? Bullshit? Endgaget isn't exactly a shady site but I'm still skeptical.

Tzeentch

Still speaking of ADS, i want some Marine or ODST based Halo spinoff first person tactical squad shooter, with ADS. Something akin the first Ghost Recon (it was tactical FPS, wasn't it?) perhaps, or perhaps Star Wars Republic Commando.
They need to hire more former Marines at 343.

Homeboyd

Oh okay, I understand now. Can't say you're wrong, I enjoyed FF so much in ODST (and a bit less in Reach because it was way too easy, didn't have the feeling I HAD to survive wave after wave), but I was happy to get something new in Halo.

But yeah, we could have both, like a playable FF on Spartan Ops maps I guess.

And +1 for Ragnarok Flames, should have been available for no-Gold member too.
SpOps didn't feel like a new game mode to me. Just short campaign missions. Like I was replaying what I had already played... And then the fact each space was repeated so many times didn't help.

Season 2 was better but still a lot of the same.

A horde-ish ODST type of survival mode is what I'm looking for. You can put all the perks, killstreaks; whatever else they've been wanting to throw in MP in this mode if you've got to have it. Defense turrets like in dominion would go well here with the addition of light forging options (placing walls, weapon drops, vehicles, spawn locations etc...). SpOps seems like it would be much more difficult to do these kinds of things considering how linear most of the missions were and how scripted everything was.

TheXbox

And then there's this...

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/16/halo-the-master-chief-collection/

Any thoughts? Bullshit? Endgaget isn't exactly a shady site but I'm still skeptical.
Not surprising, especially since ntkrnl. MS wants Halo shit every year and Halo 5 has been delayed (or perhaps it was always slated for 2015), so this is a very practical way of filling the void and refreshing returning or new players.

All I hope is that this doesn't mean we won't get a real Halo 2 Anniversary. With any luck, it will be included in the collection along with the entire classic multiplayer suite.

Top Bottom