• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

Welfare

I wonder how ONI are gonna convince everyone that John is a legit traitor. Surely he's done enough for humanity to earn the benefit of the doubt?

Maybe they have video/images of him shaking hands with Jul 'Mdama. lol

They'll say Chief will stick with Halsey. Everyone turns on Chief.

Madness

Almost certain now the game will be Arbiter and Locke playable characters as both try to find Chief (Arbiter wants to help his friend, Locke is part of ONI wants to put him down). Won't be until the final 1/3rd when they find Chief and he explains why he went AWOL that we get to play as him.

At the end, Chief and Arby will agree to help Halsey and end Storm Covenant while Locke promises to fight back against ONI etc.

Doffen

UnselfishFluffyIndiancow.gif

This clip will definitely not be used if Halo 5 disappoints the fans.

..they were walking on that very. fine. line.

pliss 343, dun do this to mee.. The Master Chief is a mystical creature that needs to be left UNKNOWN.

Unknown?

Or Funknown?

Seriously though, the chief's face obsession has always been amusing to me; we've known what he looked like since Fall of Reach :p

ryan299

Almost certain now the game will be Arbiter and Locke playable characters as both try to find Chief (Arbiter wants to help his friend, Locke is part of ONI wants to put him down). Won't be until the final 1/3rd when they find Chief and he explains why he went AWOL that we get to play as him.

At the end, Chief and Arby will agree to help Halsey and end Storm Covenant while Locke promises to fight back against ONI etc.

Agreed. i just think we'll play as chief more than you say. It's going to be like halo 2 where you play as both sets and the story becomes clear.

I don't think they'll kill him off. I really don't think Halo survives without Chief.

..they were walking on that very. fine. line.

pliss 343, dun do this to mee.. The Master Chief is a mystical creature that needs to be left UNKNOWN.
I honestly wouldn't mind at this point. His appearance has already been described in the books and he's never really been a silent protagonist.

Whether they show his face or not at this point, I would be fine with either. Wouldn't really change anything.

Ominym

Banned
Agreed. i just think we'll play as chief more than you say. It's going to be like halo 2 where you play as both sets and the story becomes clear.

I don't think they'll kill him off. I really don't think Halo survives without Chief.

I agree that they wont kill him. It's just an easy way to rile up people on the internet that'll go on to discuss it.

Unknown?

Or Funknown?

Seriously though, the chief's face obsession has always been amusing to me; we've known what he looked like since Fall of Reach :p
Big difference in animation and story-telling between what MC has always been and if he were to suddenly have a face with emotions to convey.

He would be a completely different character.

Madness

Aside from the leaks and Insiders who have said Chief doesn't get much of the playtime, here is a recent quote from an interview Frankie did with GamesRadar:

Locke lets us humanise the boots on the ground without messing with the Chief – the irony is that Locke is going to do some of the heavy lifting for people’s need for better storytelling and characterisation without altering the Chief. The Chief is the core hero in the story, without a doubt. Forget how long you play as each character or whatever – it’s really about contextualising the Chief.

The bolded is very interesting. Frank chose his words carefully. I have no doubt Locke is being used to tell and contextualise Chief, but saying he does the heavy lifting in the storytelling and that we should 'forget how long you play as each character', coupled with what has been said, leads to me believe Locke is indeed the primary lead in the game in terms of playtime. And because they used playable characters, I'm assuming we'll also play as Arbiter for a bit too. The H2A cinematic showed us that they both agreed to help search for Chief. Maybe it starts off as Locke and Arbiter ala Halo 2 and when they find him, we switch to Chief to finish off the game and what he was doing. I think while we play as Locke and Arbiter, we'll be seeing cinematics of what Chief is doing or getting info etc.

Compsiox

Banned
Master Chef is going to get blessed by the precursors and hes going to get super powers. Soon after Halo is revealed to be a spin off of Infamous.

singhr1

If you are playing as Locke, you are likely going to be fighting with Locke's squad AND the demigod-looking Arbiter. How can anyone be against at least trying that?

Gestault

I've gotta say, the imagery seems...I dunno, crass? Like, it's figurative, I get that much. The idea that ONI has to character-assassinate one of the last Spartan IIs (especially after they used him as a PR martyr for the post-war negotiations) is just...not the stuff of teasers when it's so central to the known story.

I mean, I guess putting a bullet through the face of the Master Chief Collection (its art at least) is a pretty strong statement on their quality goals for Halo 5.

I've gotta say, the imagery seems...I dunno, crass? Like, it's figurative, I get that much. The idea that ONI has to character-assassinate one of the last Spartan IIs (especially after they used him as a PR martyr for the post-war negotiations) is just...not the stuff of teasers when it's so central to the known story.

I mean, I guess putting a bullet through the face of the Master Chief Collection (its art at least) is a pretty strong statement on their quality goals for Halo 5.

I actually brought this up earlier in the thread, but ONI/UNSC brass has come to view the remaining IIs as something of a potential liability; they were useful during the war, but now they're a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Child soldiers trained to fight the Insurrectionists are an uncomfortable group to have hanging around, reminding people of your moral failings. I'm not at all surprised they'd leap on a chance to bury the Chief.

You get the glimpse of his face at the end of Halo 4 (if you beat it on Legendary)

Oh, I know, I meant in Fall of Reach.

Gestault

I actually brought this up earlier in the thread, but ONI/UNSC brass has come to view the remaining IIs as something of a potential liability; they were useful during the war, but now they're a PR nightmare waiting to happen. Child soldiers trained to fight the Insurrectionists are an uncomfortable group to have hanging around, reminding people of your moral failings. I'm not at all surprised they'd leap on a chance to bury the Chief.

I've gotta say, with
the new head of ONI being a Spartan II herself,
I hope this is exactly how things play out. I love me some conflict-of-interest.

Top Bottom