• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
Scanning the pages I missed while sleeping and saw Wu call Frankenstein's Bride stacked and closed the page. Finally had the courage to reopen this shit.

edit: and Kyle and Hydra agreeing? WHAT'S HAPPENING.

willow ve

Most of the people who "whine" about the game play it.

Too true. It's generally the people who play the most that have the most invested in the game. Those are the core fanbase. When they see something wrong they complain because they know they'll be playing the game for a year or more and want the game to be as "fixed" as possible.

That's why I'm still playing, and still bitching occasionally.

untitled-5.png
What a bunch of tripe.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Eh, I can see both sides of the coin. To Moonman's point the OT for the general Halo community should be about ALL of Halo. Not just one person's hate for Halo 4. I could have seen Kyle doing an OT and putting more emphasis on his favorite Halo, being that this thread is for all of Halo and not just 4. What he did was basically make it look like (to any non-HaloGaf folk that venture here) that we hate all of Halo. Not just that some folks dislike 4. This isn't the Halo 4 OT, but the OP Kyle made is about his hate of 4. The OT is supposed to be a non-biased post that outlines the subject at hand, in this case it's all of Halo. Yet there is little information there, and it's only one person's opinion about Halo 4.

On the other side, it's just the opening post for a huge thread. Discussion will continue. Though the initial post is meant to be the face of the community.

I can see why someone would be upset.

Months ago the complaint was too many new people wanting to talk to 343... now it's become 6 people wanting to rub elbows with Kyle. Nothing is going to change it. They are the loudest voices in the room, and you could have predicted their stance months ago.

You can't please those who don't want to be pleased.

I could make a laundry list of things I think could be improved in H4, but it's still an excellent game. I also don't have an appreciation for how long it takes for updates- but I don't feel it's been an unreasonable amount of time.

(to save anyone the time - MS... $100 million dollars... Mt. Dew... corporate puppet... Waypoint)

Looking at my shelf of games, only Borderlands 2 and the new DLC has me even considering taking Halo out of the tray.

LD2k

Neo Member
My biggest disappointment with the game is map control is gone.

It takes away one of the special, unique and addicting things about the competitiveness that was Halo. I enjoy playing it, but I'm not as hooked as I was in the past. Design choices are baffling at times (no 'X' above dead players, why?), but it is still a fun game.

They excel at things while making decisions that alienate the core Halo fans.

I miss the days of team work being meaningful and power weapons actually being strategic to which guy picks up what - where and when. I miss that Halo.

That said, I do enjoy the game, but the way it pushes players to succeed in this game usually leads to frustrating moments for me.

Havok

I'm having a really hard time seeing how Multiflag is going to work on this. Its hard to tell what the base structures even are, but it's obvious that the map is as asymmetric as can be. CTF doesn't work on Complex, doesn't work on Abandon, why would it work here? The sightlines are pretty interesting, though, and Extraction continues to seem like a neat twist on Territories.

Kynan: "There are so many [flag] routes to take that you can...really keep your opponent guessing."

But...there's a fat waypoint over my head, they don't have to guess anything.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
My biggest disappointment with the game is map control is gone.

I miss it too. On the flip side, the camping I've encountered is practically nil compared to H3 or Reach.

so tell me about why CE's basic design worked, and why it is unique within the context of arena shooters, if you don't mind

Never said it didn't. I'll use BigShow as an example since he's pretty much what I think of a CE-or-die guy. I'd completely like his vision of H4. But I'm still satisfied with what I'm playing. Difference is, despite him often being sacrastic, Show hasn't been a complete twat bot on repeat if I ask him a question or if he disagrees with me, regardless of how strongly he feels about it.

I love "pure" stripped down Halo, but I'm not going to get so fired up over the addition of AAs, perks, whatever- when they didn't effect my game that much in Reach, and they definitely don't now.

rakka

if anything, I've had to "camp" more in halo 4 to do well in a match because i have no idea what the fuck kind of power weapons the other team has or who the hell has them :) so I hold a position, venturing out into the open only every now and then. instant respawn doesnt help either.

u4iX

Huh. You lost me when you described Halo 3 as 'botched plastic surgery', Reach as 'Frankenstein's Bride', and Halo 4 as 'a pile of primordial ooze' (all referring to tits, no less).

Too much hyperbole makes me close the window.

I liked Halo 3. I liked Reach. I like Halo 4. I see problems in ALL those titles - but I also see the good.

There's no good in primordial ooze - you've left no place for the conversation to go.

(Your analogy doesn't even work. Frankenstein's bride was scary looking - but her tits were great.)

<3

Yeah, I used the hyperbole for basically saying "making changes that weren't needed."

Frankenstein's bride representing the tacked on abilities, loadouts, and changes just to "make the game" instead of perfecting a formula. Bungie knowing it's their last game and instead of focusing on the community, focused on all the fun little tidbits of brainstorming that MIGHT be fun in a Halo game.

Botched plastic surgery representing this natural beauty, Halo 2 and Halo 1, who maybe just needed a little gym time and a facial scrub, instead got some changes that changed the games appearance, but didn't improve on the feel.

I could have just said that, but I like writing weird. The blog isn't really a critical analysis either, just a stream of conscious blurb stemming from my current emotional mindset on the game.

TheOddOne

He's part of the sustain team, so I can only imagine that he'll be trying to push his and the community's ideas on what needs to change in the game. He'll be hated by the community at large in no time.
Good luck, Bravo.

Listening to the end of the latest Halo podcast, where ye discussed the ending of Halo 4.

Trying not to burst out laughing at my desk.

If they bring back Cortana... I will not be happy. Or rather, I will be even less happy.
Only one thing is certain for now: you will complain, regardless.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
could you tell us about the difference between "camping" and "controlling" over the course of the Halo series

Obviously a mistake to ever talk in any sort of absolutes with you. Other than Ring 3 Lift on Abandon, I really can't think of camping spots on the same magnitude as say Countdown, Powerhouse 2, Sword Base, etc.

Are we seriously doing this?

<3

Yeah, I used the hyperbole for basically saying "making changes that weren't needed."

Frankenstein's bride representing the tacked on abilities, loadouts, and changes just to "make the game" instead of perfecting a formula. Bungie knowing it's their last game and instead of focusing on the community, focused on all the fun little tidbits of brainstorming that MIGHT be fun in a Halo game.

Botched plastic surgery representing this natural beauty, Halo 2 and Halo 1, who maybe just needed a little gym time and a facial scrub, instead got some changes that changed the games appearance, but didn't improve on the feel.

I could have just said that, but I like writing weird. The blog isn't really a critical analysis either, just a stream of conscious blurb stemming from my current emotional mindset on the game.

I think Wu meant that Frankenstein's bride was actually pretty hot, according to the book. Now the monster's wife, she was hideous.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You know that Regicide isn't a competitive gametype? The guy with the more deaths was smarter than you and went after the king the whole time.

"You know that CTF isn't a competitive gametype? The guy with more deaths was smarter than you and went after the flag the whole time."

That about right?

u4iX

Obviously a mistake to ever talk in any sort of absolutes with you. Other than Ring 3 Lift on Abandon, I really can't think of camping spots on the same magnitude as say Countdown, Powerhouse 2, Sword Base, etc.

Are we seriously doing this?

How about the boxes on Adrift, under ramps on Haven, every base on Exile, bottom lift on Abandon, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

These wouldn't be as bad either if it weren't for Camo and Boltshot of course.

I'm having a really hard time seeing how Multiflag is going to work on this. Its hard to tell what the base structures even are, but it's obvious that the map is as asymmetric as can be. CTF doesn't work on Complex, doesn't work on Abandon, why would it work here? The sightlines are pretty interesting, though, and Extraction continues to seem like a neat twist on Territories.

Kynan: "There are so many [flag] routes to take that you can...really keep your opponent guessing."

But...there's a fat waypoint over my head, they don't have to guess anything.

lol

Kynan talking about how the map was intentionally designed to be a random mess and what seemed to be not having a concern for easily distinguishable landmarks proves again that gameplay wasn't the main concern. That being said, the map looks pretty cool even with all that brown.

-EDIT-

OT but I know there are a few people here who like Darksiders so check out this slick statue:

I just wanted to explain my metaphors a bit more, since I recognize that's an easy spot for confusion.

BTW, I'm not trying to talk down your blog or anything like that because of that little mistake. Just pointing out the mistake (which was funny to me).

u4iX

BTW, I'm not trying to talk down your blog or anything like that because of that little mistake. Just pointing out the mistake (which was funny to me).

I was thinking along the lines of the bride was created for the monster (community) to love, but they don't or whatever, and it's a mess, and yeah... it was a pretty muddled metaphor.

<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom