• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'd lose my shit if 343 shocked the world with a Halo 2 Anni for the 720 launch, with full MP included. And then explained that's why they had to outsource a large portion of Halo 4's development.

People in this thread wouldn't know what the fuck to do.

I meant multiplayer. But wouldn't it be 2014 anyway?

Oh, you mean it will or won't have MP?

As I've stated here before, I think Halo 5 will surely drop in 2014, so they need an HD remake or something as a side Halo game this year to get turning the profit machine.

MS probably also sees it as a nice game to have as a first party AAA shooter on the launch of the new console.

JHall

I'd lose my shit if 343 shocked the world with a Halo 2 Anni for the 720 launch, with full MP included. And then explained that's why they had to outsource a large portion of Halo 4's development.

I do. I'd play the fuck out of that game.

IHaveIce

Banned

I will eat 3 pages of The Thursday War if this happens.

CyReN

2013 - Halo 4: Spartan Ops "Missing F.U.N"

Crimson Squad isn't just grabbing each other asses in their spare time, it's time to man up with our leader Palmer as she and the other Spartan IV search for the missing F.U.N files of the UNSC Infinity.

When you first crash land of Requiem amid all the wreckage, take a look around. I think there are three different terminal like things you can find there in that first area, and you get some different Chief and Cortana dialogue out of it too. And some weaponry.

Well, yeah, thanks, but I knew that already. Thought I had implied that. So far I found the dying Grunt and Elite, the FRG's, the message to the Didact thingy, and Halsey's terminal on Cortana's condition. Could you, or anyone, specify the location of the "Storm Covenant" terminal?

Havok

2013 - Halo 4: Spartan Ops "Missing F.U.N"

Crimson Squad isn't just grabbing each other asses in their spare time, it's time to man up with our leader Palmer as she and the other Spartan IV search for the missing F.U.N files of the UNSC Infinity.
Ah, searching for the black box of the back half of the Forward Unto Dong, I see, informally referred to as the Forward Unto Nuts.

I'd say if it's a next xbox launch title they won't do that. If it's on the 360 though, there's not a snow balls chance in hell they're going to take away from the dwindling Halo 4 population.

You really think so?

Yeah I do. It just makes sense to me, all of Halo 4's map packs will be released by the first half of the year. Halo 4's numbers will dwindle again, so what would you rather have:

• 2 Years of a dying Halo 4 like Reach
  • Don't let the fans starve between major Halo releases because HCEA couldn't fill that void for long

Microsoft and 343 made it clear that we're getting significant Halo releases annually, so there's no room for dying populations. They need releases that will keep the fans playing Halo for a while until the next release comes out because map packs probably can't hold a H4 population after the first year (just look at the Crimson DLC already) and unless Spartan Ops makes significant changes that won't hold fans over either.

I do. I'd play the fuck out of that game.

I'd probably buy 2 and play on the second TV with my feet.

No, there is no logical reason. That's why I'm not betting on it and not getting my hopes up.

tumblr_lwok36gmIv1qbex4ko1_500.gif

Computer

I often loiter around the watercooler waiting for SpOps discussion but all I hear is people whispering about this crazy guy who's always hanging out around the watercooler.
I often find myself lurking around the watercooler I'n hopes of someone striking up a convo on Palmers crazy antics in the latest episode of spartan ops. Only to have the cool crowd roll up and shove my face into the wall then proceed to brag about the weapon atchments they unlocked in blops.

Yeah I do. It just makes sense to me, all of Halo 4's map packs will be released by the first half of the year. Halo 4's numbers will dwindle again, so what would you rather have:

• Don't let the fans starve between major Halo releases because HCEA couldn't fill that void for long
Hah, what I want has nothing to do with it ;P

But the idea of a HD re-release with its own multiplayer would only mean two distinct communities with far less players in each. Considering how "well" playlist hoppers work with low populations I don't see how that can be a positive.

If the NextBox launches this year though, is the expectation that this year's Halo would be next gen? 360? or both? The transition period makes this more complicated.

the natron

Neo Member

Microsoft and 343 made it clear that we're getting significant Halo releases annually, so there's no room for dying populations. They need releases that will keep the fans playing Halo for a while until the next release comes out because map packs probably can't hold a H4 population after the first year (just look at the Crimson DLC already) and unless Spartan Ops makes significant changes that won't hold fans over either.

I'd probably buy 2 and play on the second TV with my feet.

That whole thing just irks me. Not you, but the idea that Microsoft/343i would think they need to keep pumping out annual Halo games to keep interest and population numbers up instead of one solid, great game. Halo 3 still had people playing it regularly by 2010 because people enjoyed playing it. They didn't need another entry in the series to stay interested, the game itself with a few map packs was fine as it was. They should focus on building a solid game with longevity instead of throwing out a rushed, incomplete game every year. That would just muddle the series

Dirtbag

Replayed the first mission of reach yesterday....holyshit the world scale is on a different level then 4.

Most of us have been saying this since launch. Go play CE and prepare yourself for how much better fighting elites in CE are then elites in 4. In 4 they stand there and just get shot for a while before they even move

Most of us have been saying this since launch. Go play CE and prepare yourself for how much better fighting elites in CE are then elites in 4. In 4 they stand there and just get shot for a while before they even move
Yep yep.

Also, even the battle at the door to the Comms Relay in Reach was better than most encounters in Halo 4, where the enemies are mostly defending their zone.

I also miss those chambers and bridges in CE where all the grunts are asleep, but with watchful elite patrols. You even get a little of that in Reach.

If they do H2 with the original MP (updated to remove superbouncing and button combos is ok) and all of the maps then my faith in this franchise will be restored.

This will never happen.

Why do Halo fans constantly give their franchise so much lead way? Just look at other AAA developers and the shit they're doing with their games the past few years... I'm guilty of this too, but realization has to step in at some point.

When you first crash land of Requiem amid all the wreckage, take a look around. I think there are three different terminal like things you can find there in that first area, and you get some different Chief and Cortana dialogue out of it too. And some weaponry.
Nope. Can't be true. Everyone knows they don't give you any ammo in the campaign...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

As I've stated here before, I think Halo 5 will surely drop in 2014, so they need an HD remake or something as a side Halo game this year to get turning the profit machine.

MS probably also sees it as a nice game to have as a first party AAA shooter on the launch of the new console.

I'm saying it won't. I'm also not convinced it's even coming out at all.

Who knows what's coming next year for Halo but MS didn't ship 360 with a Halo game. In fact it took 2 years until H3 came out. MS is better off launching before PS4 and making sure the next CoD is there and not a shitty port.

Dirtbag

Why do Halo fans constantly give their franchise so much lead way? Just look at other AAA developers and the shit they're doing with their games the past few years... I'm guilty of this too, but realization has to step in at some point.

I think that goodwill is finally expiring and when you dont have a name like Bungie attached to it, you don't really get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Nope. Can't be true. Everyone knows they don't give you any ammo in the campaign...
Swear to GAF, my first playthrough had me consistently scavenging for weaponry on the battlefield because there was so little. Second playthrough was completely different though, as I guess I finally noticed all the weapon caches scattered about.

I disagree with the release date assumption of Halo 5. At least I do not believe it. I think we can clearly say GoW:J will be Microsoft's last big exclusive title for the Xbox 360. If a new Halo game comes out, then it will be for the next Xbox. Especially since Microsoft wants a bigger user base for it. I am expecting Halo 2: Anniversary to drop 2014. I can even expect 343i releases it with the original multiplayer because it is a different scenario as it was with Anniversary and Reach.

343i has a much bigger pressure with Halo 5. It is not their first shipped title. Some fans dislike their first real title. How do you get them back? What is needed? etc. Especially people want to get amazed from its beauty. So I am expecting Microsoft and 343i gives their engine team more time to work on a complete new engine.
Well, yeah, thanks, but I knew that already. Thought I had implied that. So far I found the dying Grunt and Elite, the FRG's, the message to the Didact thingy, and Halsey's terminal on Cortana's condition. Could you, or anyone, specify the location of the "Storm Covenant" terminal?
There is no terminal about "Storm Covenant". I think he referred to the Didact terminal.

Dirtbag

Swear to GAF, my first playthrough had me consistently scavenging for weaponry on the battlefield because there was so little. Second playthrough was completely different though, as I guess I finally noticed all the weapon caches scattered about.

Also the first halo campaign where once was enough. Alot of the campaign just felt like a grind.

I would love a Halo 2 Anniversary, but if they make one, it won't include the H2 multiplayer. It'll be treated like CEA with some H2 map pack (which I would look forward too).

But wishing otherwise (H2 multiplayer in H2A) is silly. If Bungie was the developer, then yeah, maybe. No way 343 will do that though. That's like admitting defeat and it will actually tarnish their reputation more than help it, especially when it's compared to Halo 5. More credit will go to Bungie if the multiplayer netcode is just copy/pasted with new graphics.

Halo 2 multiplayer is gone forever on consoles. It sucks, but it has to do more with being in a new time than development. Sorry, but someone has to say it...

XBC begs to differ

you know what I mean

I know about that one but I could've sworn there was one where Cortana talked about how the Covenant had been waiting for 3 years and some other stuff. I don't know maybe I'm getting it confused with something else
Yeah, there is the transmission that they've been spamming for three years, and you can hear it and Cortana's musings on it in that first Reqiuem area. I don't remember anything in particular that mentions "Storm", although maybe I forgot.

I know about that one but I could've sworn there was one where Cortana talked about how the Covenant had been waiting for 3 years and some other stuff. I don't know maybe I'm getting it confused with something else

Yeah, you hear "Didact...Didact" over and over. Cortana says something like the Covenant have been replaying that message for 3 years, looping it over and over. No mention of Storm though. The only reference to the Covenant being different is when Chief says, "they're more fanatical" than before.

JHall

I would love a Halo 2 Anniversary, but if they make one, it won't include the H2 multiplayer. It'll be treated like CEA with some H2 map pack (which I would look forward too).

But wishing otherwise (H2 multiplayer in H2A) is silly to me. If Bungie was the developer, then yeah, maybe. No way 343 will do that though. That's like admitting defeat and it will actually tarnish their reputation more than help it, especially when it's compared to Halo 5. More credit will go to Bungie if the multiplayer netcode is just copy/pasted with new graphics.

Halo 2 multiplayer is gone forever on consoles. It sucks, but it has to do more with being in a new time than development. Sorry, but someone has to say it...

you know what I mean

Typical Auburn fan mentality.

the natron

Neo Member
Yeah, there is the transmission that they've been spamming for three years, and you can hear it and Cortana's musings on it in that first Reqiuem area. I don't remember anything in particular that mentions "Storm", although maybe I forgot.

Yeah, you hear "Didact...Didact" over and over. Cortana says something like the Covenant have been replaying that message for 3 years, looping it over and over. No mention of Storm though. The only reference to the Covenant being different is when Chief says, "they're more fanatical" than before.
Ah yep I remember that now. I guess I just forgot some of it and only remembered bits and pieces. Thanks, sorry for the confusion
you know what I mean
yeah I know I guess I'm still in denial :(

Kuroyume

Banned
I don't want a H2 anniversary this year. Would suck to see it out this year when I have no intention to get the next 360 this year nor next year. They should do it a few years down the line and just release sequels to H4 and Halo Wars.

Moa

Does anyone have the slightest clue how to watch the Halo 4 Terminals using the Waypoint Xbox app or website?

I literally have no clue.

Nowise10

I don't want a H2 anniversary this year. Would suck to see it out this year when I have no intention to get the next 360 this year nor next year. They should do it a few years down the line and just release sequels to H4 and Halo Wars.

Halo 2 Anniversary will never happen. 343's main focus for the next years will be Halo 5 and Halo 6.

Was randomly pondering Halo 4 last night, and how much I dislike crawlers. They're just there to take down with single headshots, as shooting them anywhere else or with anything else isn't satisfying.

I think they would have worked better if they were larger, smarter (at approaching player positions and avoiding fire), and resisted headshots but provided better hit/damage reactions to tearing into their bodies. Like giant wolves, or even Alpha Skags from BL2, rather than pestering fire ants with SMGs like they are now.

Knights would hang back and send out their wolves to flush the players from cover.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Was randomly pondering Halo 4 last night, and how much I dislike crawlers. They're just there to take down with single headshots, as shooting them anywhere else or with anything else isn't satisfying.

I think they would have worked better if they were larger, smarter (at approaching player positions and avoiding fire), and resisted headshots but provided better hit/damage reactions to tearing into their bodies. Like giant wolves, or even Alpha Skags from BL2, rather than pestering fire ants with SMGs like they are now.

Knights would hang back and send out their wolves to flush the players from cover.
I'd be open to a Crawlers revision, but I like them a lot as they are. They're somehow more satisfying to kill than Grunts. I love that leaping thing they do, too.

JB1981

wow i feel welcome already haha
And about Spartan Ops, its no firefight but its ok even if it is meh and totally forgettable aside from a couple missions. The real problem though lies in that god awful netcode. Every time I try to play it online I feel like I'm playing an interactive slideshow and sometimes I go phasing through objects or enemies pop out of nowhere. Its netcode seriously reaches Crysis 2 levels of bad.

You must not be in the US because there is just no way this is true

Playing CEA right now. Even after ten years this game feels so good. The AR feels like its an actual gun, that shoot bullets instead of foam peanuts. Same with the pistol. Shits like a hand cannon. The audio is still brilliant. The guns sound better than every Halo game that came after (Maybe except the Sniper)

I remember back when Halo came out, playing the level Halo. Right as you get out of the lifeboat and start walking across that beam to the other side of the canyon. The music playing, the visuals, everything just put you in awe of the atmosphere.

10 years on and its still the best Halo Campaign.

Tawpgun

Halo 5 will explore a Palmer-Arbiter love story. What happens when two legendary warriors share love across species?

Top Bottom