• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Overdoziz

Banned
I think it's safe to say these AGL Oddball settings need some work. With the distance you can throw the ball + the quick respawn time there are moments in these matches where one team is literally killing people as fast as they possibly can - but they can never catch up to where the ball is.

Ambush just had 2 more dead on Warriors for over 90 seconds and they still couldn't ever get the ball back. Frustrating to play - boring/frustrating to watch.
The endless hallways on the outer circle of Relay (Or Dispatch, whatever) don't help either.
BUT WHAT DO I KNOW IM NOT A CARTOGRAPHER

Zoolader

BTB is just kiddy pool Halo. Its players who cant swim yet so they play around in a stupid little shallow pool.
Uh huh and mlg is for players who aren't skilled enough to play real competitive games. I should say the guys playing real competitve games like starcraft 2 are losers too since they weren't good enough to join a sports team.

:l

BTB is zany fun!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Instant respawn makes it too hectic still. There's no reward for getting a kill, and they respawn so fast you may actually be rewarding your opponent by essentially teleporting them closer to the ball.

meh

IHaveIce

Banned
I think it's safe to say these AGL Oddball settings need some work. With the distance you can throw the ball + the quick respawn time there are moments in these matches where one team is literally killing people as fast as they possibly can - but they can never catch up to where the ball is.

Ambush just had 2 more dead on Warriors for over 90 seconds and they still couldn't ever get the ball back. Frustrating to play - boring/frustrating to watch.

Not one second I thought it was boring/frustrating to watch.

Uh huh and mlg is for players who aren't skilled enough to play real competitive games. I should say the guys playing real competitve games like starcraft 2 are losers too since they weren't good enough to join a sports team.

BTB is zany fun!

You realize MLG isn't Halo right? And Starcraft 2 is? BTB on H4 is total shit.

Zoolader

You realize MLG isn't Halo right? And Starcraft 2 is? BTB on H4 is total shit.

Ya but it's still the same point. Saying mlg was easier than "the current most competitive dmr only playlist in matchmaking."

edit: and isn't every playlist in H4 just about total shit when you compare them to the past halo's? (excluding reach)

BTB is zany fun!

Please rephrase this into something that makes sense.

heckfu

Banned

BTB is zany fun!

what are you saying

Fracas

#fuckonami

BTB is zany fun!

...What?

Ya but it's still the same point. Saying mlg was easier than "the current most competitive dmr only playlist in matchmaking."

edit: and isn't every playlist in H4 just about total shit when you compare them to the past halo's? (excluding reach)

So you agree, thereby negating your previous stance. And DMR only? Didn't you see the last few pages of people wondering why the competitive settings are BR starts?

BTB was shit in Reach too. How far back are we supposed to go so you can be right?

u4iX

Exactly, who the fuck plays BTB to be super competitive. It's suppose to be all about fun.

I0Svc.gif

What words were too big for you?

I dunno just your like thought process.

Did you compare video game sports to be kiddy pool of real sports? Cause they are two different things.

What does Starcraft 2 have to do with anything?

And BTB is zany? So you are agreeing with me its the kiddy pool of Halo?

Exactly, who the fuck plays BTB to be super competitive. It's suppose to be all about fun.

Believe it or not people have fun competing...

For instance look at this tournament going on right now...

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I'm all for 16-player MLG DEEZ NUTZ BTB OBJECTISKIRMISH SUPER SLAYER SUPREMO GONZALES competitive stuff but there's definitely a place for casual BTB fun alongside it.

Infinity Slayer becomes infinitely more entertaining if you don't take it seriously.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Halo 4 BTB is a downright abomination. More power weapons than Heavies ever dreamed of, with a hefty vehicle count to boot. Played a few matches around launch and never touched it again.

Tawpgun

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

I'm all for 16-player MLG DEEZ NUTZ BTB OBJECTISKIRMISH SUPER SLAYER SUPREMO GONZALES competitive stuff but there's definitely a place for casual BTB fun alongside it.

Infinity Slayer becomes infinitely more entertaining if you don't take it seriously.

I disagree. Infinity Slayer is a hot, chaotic mess, which is fun sometimes but not as the baseline experience.

This isn't about ultra competetive vs casual.

This is about fairness. You can have fun under settings that can be competetive. Even with vehicles and shit. But you can't be competetive under silly fiesta bullshit settings.

Havok

BTB being Slayer-only was a nice up-front indicator of its quality, considering BTB Slayer has always been totally mediocre. As wretched as Reach BTB could be, I'd rather play it pre-343-takeover than 4's. Once they put in some of those community Forge maps (Abridged, Lam Lam), it was all right if you had a team of 3+ (though not great - fuck Renegade, Spire, Boneyard, 15fps Wayont). Until 343 made it Heavies, that is. At that point it might as well just be H4 BTB.

A shame, because a couple of 4's big maps seem like they'd be all right with good gametypes and settings.

----

I just tuned in to AGL for the first time today. Ring girls at a Halo event. Why is this a thing?

Taking out the boxes from the Adrift bases is a smart move. Push it into matchmaking.

Why does the webcam they have pointed at Pistola perform like it came out of 1997 on an AOL dialup connection?

u4iX

I disagree.

This is about fairness. You can have fun under settings that can be competetive. Even with vehicles and shit.

But you can't be competetive under silly fiesta bullshit settings.

Nailed it.

Omni

I disagree. Infinity Slayer is a hot, chaotic mess, which is fun sometimes but not as the baseline experience.

This is about fairness. You can have fun under settings that can be competetive. Even with vehicles and shit. But you can't be competetive under silly fiesta bullshit settings.

Yeap. +10

Zoolader

Why?

But it's literally not fun. Like...at all.

More specifically this line "Its players who cant swim yet so they play around in a stupid little shallow pool".

It's just talking down to people who enjoy a certain playlist, and assuming they are possibly stupid and not very good at halo. We can go through every playlist currently in matchmaking and point out countless "flaws" we would like changed. Ya the tanks and gauss hogs and numerous vehicles cripple gameplay in BTB, but it's not every match it happens. I hear the same bitching about bolt shots and personal ordinance drops among other things, being said by the same people here everyday. I don't call those people out, and belittle them for their choices. BTB is the only playlist I can hop on a goose and launch myself off a mancannon while splattering somebody. I just love Halo's sandbox and BTB is where I can fully take advantage of it.

That was pretty much my original meaning when talking to Croatia,

If you make the DMR weaker, those vehicles are going to be even more OP.

The DMR is fine. Its the maps and settings that stink.

If you are in BTB and you are getting DMR'd you either need to make sure you are near something to block lines of site, or you need to be more aware.

AKA Adapt.

That was pretty much my original meaning when talking to Croatia,

If you make the DMR weaker, those vehicles are going to be even more OP.

The DMR is fine. Its the maps and settings that stink.

If you are in BTB and you are getting DMR'd you either need to make sure you are near something to block lines of site, or you need to be more aware.

AKA Adapt.

Can't tell if this is a joke btw

Like Halo 2 & 3? The vehicles in Reach & 4 have been significantly weaker. Before Reach, no one ever dodged a chance to get in the gunner of a Warthog, people betrayed for it. Now it's the complete opposite and almost half the time, they just run past because they know how quickly the Warthog can go down.

Vehicles are made to be more powerful than the players, not equal. It's the other team's job to find plasma grenades and anti-vehicles weapons (pick ups) to destroy said vehicle as a team. Give me one rock and a DMR, and I can take out any Ghost in Reach & 4.

Tawpgun

to me its rose tinted glasses crap. btb has always sucked.

I dont know what people want with that. Just make random explosions appear from ships up in the sky. That might be it.

thats zany!

BTB was the tits in Halo 2 and 3.

Shit like Heavies is what ruined it because the populace wanted LOL EXPLOSIONS BIG WWEAPONS LOOOLLLLL AC 130

I'll say, the vehicles were better balanced in H2 though. H3 vehicles were the strongest in the series, but a lot of it was because the general population wasn't aware of all the ways to take them down. I loved the strong vehicles in Halo 3. Was an interesting dynamic trying to take them down.

BTB was the tits in Halo 2 and 3.

Shit like Heavies is what ruined it because the populace wanted LOL EXPLOSIONS BIG WWEAPONS LOOOLLLLL AC 130

I'll say, the vehicles were better balanced in H2 though. H3 vehicles were the strongest in the series, but a lot of it was because the general population wasn't aware of all the ways to take them down. I loved the strong vehicles in Halo 3. Was an interesting dynamic trying to take them down.

BTB kills parties. Its like two games and everyones like "well i'm sleepy now time to get to bed"

And yea Heavies is a joke, but thats MM playlist management for you.

BTB kills parties. Its like two games and everyones like "well i'm sleepy now time to get to bed"

And yea Heavies is a joke, but thats MM playlist management for you.

The only reason parties go to BTB is when they get tired of customs, so if anything, BTB just prolongs it.

Zoolader

Amazing how much those pictures emphasize the fact that we can't look at screenshots of Halo 4 online.

Bungie finally got rid of their halo database I guess, just when my HDD with all my H3 pics and vids died. :(

Yeah it's a shame we can't do that yet in H4. I wish bungie.net could have just passed everything, EVERYTHING...over to waypoint.

Omni

There needs to be no loadouts in halo 5

I don't have a problem with loadouts. With a balanced sandbox they can work, IMO.

Why the hell do ordnance drops hurt you? Not just the ones that fall from the sky, but the ones that teleport also damage you.

I was backtracking from someone holding a boltshot under the base in Valhalla and the sniper "spawned" in my path, not only blocking me... but also taking half of my shields, which was enough to let the douche with the boltshot to kill me.

Top Bottom