• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

MrBig

Two decades of success in the gaming industry is no small feat, but after ten years of Halo, Bungie found themselves faced with a tremendous challenge: to build a whole new world, filled with even more amazing mysteries, places, creatures, and opportunities for player investment. For the first time ever, Bungie creative directors will discuss their world building techniques, from concept to production. Attendees will walk away with key insights into Bungie's battle-tested design process. They'll get a glimpse of the brave new world that has been built, a place where the next ten years of great Bungie adventures will unfold.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/14444432/Brave_New_World:_New_Bungie_IP

blamite

Whoever designed the first half of "The Guns of Infinity" is a terrible person and should feel bad about what they've done.

I am really loving the little in-engine cutscenes they started adding.
They make it feel more like a campaign mission than a firefight mission.

Yea, Grifball Pro has auto pickup disabled and has rounds, you can still pass the ball though. I still wish that there was an explosion after you score. And we should be using a bomb instead of an oddball, but oh well.

blamite

Oh my god, I can't progress any farther through chapter 5 because there's a knight stuck inside the door we need to go through and it won't open until he's dead. How was this not found?

The first three chapters of this episode were pretty decent, though.

CG is getting so good I'd be willing to pay for a second season based on that alone. Good stuff! Why was season 1 even a thing? Should have just skipped straight to 1.5, it's so much better so far - actually feels like bite-size campaign missions for once.

Omni

captureiqrn.png
How surprising.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished episode 7. I'm calling it. It doesn't get any better from here. This was probably the most intense episode of Spartan Ops.

Having failed the first chapter, it actually added a bit of challenge. Great stuff. Can't wait for next week's CG episode.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is the most people I've had on my friends list playing Halo 4 since launch week.

Tzeentch

Oh hey sweet on Victory Lap there's a Promethean stuck in the door at the very end. Cannot complete mission. Uhh ok try again. SAME DAMN PROMETHEAN STUCK IN THE DOOR.

Great testing 343.

Oh, and for as good as the first three missions are. The last are still the same terrible push button-spawn waves of dudes BS as every other week.

Toa TAK

Banned
Oh hey sweet on Victory Lap there's a Promethean stuck in the door at the very end. Cannot complete mission. Uhh ok try again. SAME DAMN PROMETHEAN STUCK IN THE DOOR.

Great testing 343.
That happened to me as well once. Everyone was spending a good 10 minutes shooting rockets, railguns, grenades, and everything at the wall and the Promethean's gun sticking out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing the campaign on Legendary for the first time, and holy shit, Scattershot Knights fucking suck. I just encountered my first one, and it killed my interest in playing more.

Biggy, Heckfu, and myself are trolling matchmaking so hard right now. Rolling with Suppressor/Storm Rifle/AR loadouts with Sentry/AC/Hardlight. This is the funniest shit!

heckfu

Banned
Rolling with YourExWife, Biggy, and Prinz Eugn right now with Suppressor starts with AR secondary rotating between auto sentry, hardlight shield, and hologram.

I think we're 5-1 so far.

Biggy, Heckfu, and myself are trolling matchmaking so hard right now. Rolling with Suppressor/Storm Rifle/AR loadouts with Sentry/AC/Hardlight. This is the funniest shit!

Beaten.

Tzeentch

That happened to me as well once. Everyone was spending a good 10 minutes shooting rockets, railguns, grenades, and everything at the wall and the Promethean's gun sticking out.
After another try and wasting double XP I just turned off my XBOX. Same thing, he's stuck literally in the door with his gun and sword sticking out (which are not part of his hitbox I'll note).

Aside from this:
Cutscene: This weeks CGI story was a lot better than last weeks, and is (IMO) the best one this entire season so far. They appear to have some balls with regard to the story, but it's pretty obvious that the ship and main characters were never in any danger despite the massacre of the crew (which will never be mentioned I bet). Only irksome note is that the Marines and crew are laughably incompetent in these episodes.
Missions: First mission was shockingly good, although it had more then a few janky moments with the dueling Phantoms (that kept running into each other) and a guaranteed trolling source with the single mech (e.g. 'teammates' shooting it with plasma pistols and the like). Second mission was also very good. I honestly thought the entire thing was going to take place in the landing bay (that section was pretty terrible), but nope we actually move on! The engine room mission was ... ok but I immediately noticed the return of "button-waves-button" gameplay. Fourth mission just sucked, one of the worst so far this season. Fifth was boring as hell too, but easy, until the bugged Promethean in the door.
Environments: Was actually shocked that none of these were actually Campaign environments. Was shocked because you barely see the work that went into the Infinity cargo bay and landing area and this would have been a great time to get some use from that work. That said, the pallet of geometry wasn't that extensive and the layout didn't make a lot of sense, but it still looked pretty good. The engine in particular looked cool. BTW there are some spots in these missions where the bloom was OUT OF CONTROL. I chuckled because I had just read the recent thread on that.
Enemies: Still dumb as rocks. Still just massive waves of dudes with power weapons (this week is the return of the fuel rod spam). Even worse, now we also have enemies literally dropping in from the roof. Yeah, super fun. There are some parts in Mission 4 and 5 where a door opens and it's just a SEA of enemies rushing in from the other side but there's no challenge since you just spam your stolen fuel rods or headshot 90% of the enemies before they even get five feet.

Overall: Excellent story progress in the CGI. Spartan Ops missions still largely built by whatever D-listers they have sitting around the studio that are not trusted to work on the next project. Big progress in first missions towards fun factor and fairness. Last missions are usual button pressing spamfests.

Seriously, Grifball is a blast! They should experiment with some different kind of maps too set in a huge box.

Also, why aren't more Forge maps experimenting with that large coliseum? Looks like a nicely closed-in space with a flat surface.

Toa TAK

Banned
After another try and wasting double XP I just turned off my XBOX. Same thing, he's stuck literally in the door with his gun and sword sticking out (which are not part of his hitbox I'll note).

Yup. When we figured that out, my teammates (randoms) quit one by one.

Until I was alone.

FyreWulff

Seriously, Grifball is a blast! They should experiment with some different kind of maps too set in a huge box.

Also, why aren't more Forge maps experimenting with that large coliseum? Looks like a nicely closed-in space with a flat surface.

The lighting in it is terrible

wwm0nkey

Just beat episode 7, first mission was a blast and I like how your team was already in an op. 2nd mission was pretty good and the rest after that were ok, At least they were smart and made an environment that made sense to revisit for 4 chapters.

Overall it was pretty good. CGI was still amazing though.

Homeboyd

The erosion piece colors don't go to well with that room.

blamite

Just beat episode 7, first mission was a blast and I like how your team was already in an op. 2nd mission was pretty good and the rest after that were ok, At least they were smart and made an environment that made sense to revisit for 4 chapters.

Overall it was pretty good. CGI was still amazing though.

Yeah, I actually really liked that part, and not only the fact that you were already in an op, but that it actually got interrupted like halfway through. It made it seem like Crimson actually does stuff other than when you're controlling them. I imagine we'll be returning to that area later to finish the mission that got cut short.

FyreWulff

I don't think the Grifball community will ever actually use the 'official' court made by Bungie/343 on a permanent basis.

Sandbox Crypt? Nope. Forge World Coliseum? Nope. Halo 4 warehouse? Nope.

As an aside.. given the popularity of the mode, I'm a bit surprised there still hasn't been an official map designed entirely around Infection.

I don't think the Grifball community will ever actually use the 'official' court made by Bungie/343 on a permanent basis.

Sandbox Crypt? Nope. Forge World Coliseum? Nope. Halo 4 warehouse? Nope.

As an aside.. given the popularity of the mode, I'm a bit surprised there still hasn't been an official map designed entirely around Infection.

That's true. A multi-leveled haunted mansion with interactive elements would be very interesting ;] They could make the Forge palette all spooky versions of the pieces too. Free Halloween DLC to bring Halo 4 back from the grave?! No pun intended as Halo's population will probably be much less by then, although hopefully not lol

Side thought, I wonder how people would respond to two Action Sack playlists: FFA (8-12 players, Infection as a voting option) and Teams (4v4, Grifball as a voting option).

Enfinit

Side thought, I wonder how people would respond to two Action Sack playlists: FFA (8-12 players, Infection as a voting option) and Teams (4v4, Grifball as a voting option).

Action Sack's always been one of my favorite playlists. I'm really hoping it's brought back for Halo 4. I thought there was a chance when that Binary Slayer video came out...

Top Bottom