• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Make maps and send them to me! And make them good too! Overdoz buy Halo 4 again and make some maps you goon!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Haven't touched this game in a long while. More than likely won't until the TU rolls out that fixes things.

That's set for late february, right?

I will agree that Gears is the last big MS exclusive on the 360. If there is a title this year, it will be a launch 720 title, an HD remake of Halo 2 makes sense for that. Lost cost outsourced project that will be a good title for MS to market with their new console.

This is of course based on two assumptions. First, that Halo 5 comes out in 2014 and second, that MS wants to release a game this year.

As for 343 and Halo 5, I think that they've known going in that they are releasing their core games every two years, and we know that some of their best engineers have been working on Bungie's engine for a while prior to Halo 4, assumingly in part to prepare and plan for development of Halo 4, 5, and 6. I do not think that they will build a completely new engine, very few developers do this and it's not the trend in the industry. With major franchises coming out with games more often, it makes more sense to have your engine adaptable and work on improvements to your engine with each game instead of tearing it all down with each game.
Do you think Microsoft will launch Halo 2: Anniversary on a limited target group? It would be better to release Halo 2:A on Xbox 360 if it came out this year. Another argument against H2:A is it will steal the show of new IPs. A console launch is the perfect opportunity to drop new IPs. And we know there are several first party studio who have not released any titles the last few years. Or just small games. (Rare, MGSV etc.)

Do you think Microsoft will launch Halo 2: Anniversary on a limited target group? It will be better to release Halo 2:A on Xbox 360 if it comes out this year. Another argument against H2:A is it will steal the show of new IPs. A console launch is the perfect opportunity to drop new IPs. And we know there are several first party studio who have not released any titles the last few years. Or just small games. (Rare, MGSV etc.)

Why would a game celebrating halo 2 10th anniversary come out in 2013?

Gazzawa

Haven't touched this game in a long while. More than likely won't until the TU rolls out that fixes things.

That's set for late february, right?
If I've learnt anything this gen it's that patches will only break your heart.
RIP Battlefield 3

TheOddOne

I’m still surprised that the Halo 4 Terminals have so many new assets created for it. They are for most part not even in the actual game.

Omni

Halo 2 HD with multiplayer included as a xbla2.0 title with all Xbox 720's at launch

Believe

I'd hate to say it, but I'd probably buy the next Xbox just for that... though revamped visuals like CEA would be nice.

Make it happen, 343i

So I've been trying to come up with a way to properly consolidate Halo 3's playlist while keeping all maps and most gametypes in while still allowing people to acquire all achievements. I've probably missed some stuff, but this is what I've got at the moment:
Remove Narrows and Construct and put in Ghost Town and Cold Storage.
My answer would be to make splatters a bit harder to get, and let the vehicles take more damage.

Tie vehicle health to player health like in Halo 2 or Halo 3.

Master_JO

Banned
Question to all Halo fans:

I've been wondering lately... Where would Halo 4 be today if it went the Halo 3 direction and not Reach/COD.
I mean would it also be the third most played game on xbox live?
Will it have more players/ activites on Xbox live?

Think about a revamp Halo 1-3 gameplay wise.

On more thing, Why don't we have a MP map at night? Think about all the shit that will go down at night. Plasma/Needler/Bullets/explosions/Light/vehicles light :p

FyreWulff

Question to all Halo fans:

I've been wondering lately... Where would Halo 4 be today if it went the Halo 3 direction and not Reach/COD.
I mean would it also be the third most played game on xbox live?
Will it have more players/ activites on Xbox live?

Think about a revamp Halo 1-3 gameplay wise.

On more thing, Why don't we have a MP map at night? Think about all the shit that will go down at night. Plasma/Needler/Bullets/explosions/Light/vehicles light :p

See Halo 3's current population numbers for an answer.

It doesn't matter, people will change over to the latest Halo no matter what.

FyreWulff

?

How is that an answer to my question?

The answer was that people will update to the latest Halo. If Halo 3's gameplay was supposedly so great and Reach's so not great, everyone would have stayed on 3(or H2) and Reach would have been a ghost town. 3 decimated 2's population. Reach decimated 3's population. 4 decimated Reach. 5 will decimate 4.

Halo, as a series, has done pretty well at getting people to move forward to the next game.

Master_JO

Banned
The answer was that people will update to the latest Halo. If Halo 3's gameplay was supposedly so great and Reach's so not great, everyone would have stayed on 3(or H2) and Reach would have been a ghost town. 3 decimated 2's population. Reach decimated 3's population. 4 decimated Reach. 5 will decimate 4.

Halo, as a series, has done pretty well at getting people to move forward to the next game.

That was well put! :)

I kinda wish Halo stayed true to Halo 1-3 formula with some invitations.

I think Reach/COD had bad influence on Halo.

Alchemical

Neo Member
Problem is a lot of the games design problems emerged because of other bad design decisions.

[...] Halo 4's system doesn't help you tailor something to your playstyle, it restricts you to a certain playstyle per loadout. I've heard a pro of the custom classes is more player freedom but it did the exact opposite, it created PLAYER RESTRICTIONS per loadout. Why do this? Because CoD did it? Because it is a TERRIBLE idea for Halo. [...]

Great post. Even though I'm yet to buy or play the game, I agree based on everything I've seen of it. In essence I think a great deal of the design decisions in this game amount to restriction, rather than greater freedom. It certainly could be said of the changes to CTF. Where there were previously multiple strategies for capturing the flag, there is now just one.

To say it's a dumbing down would be an understatement. It's outright patronizing, as are so many elements of the in-game UI. Whilst paradoxically, the UI outside of gameplay is counter-intuitive and scant on useful information.

Although I appreciate this point, it should surely be taken into account that such things as improved netcode and graphic work were a huge contributing factor in drawing players from 3 to Reach. Although there were so many gameplay elements/mechanics of Reach that I detested in comparison with 3, after a few days of playing Reach, returning to 3 felt jarring for me, to put it lightly. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this.

Ghosts and Banshees are made out of paper.

Hogs are made out of cardboard. They need to feel much heavier and not flip out at the slightest bump in your path. That would help a great deal.

There are no maps where the Scorpion is remotely useful. Wraith is only slightly better. Actually the Mantis is probably the least problematic in the vehicle sandbox. Well that and the Mongoose is still pretty much unchanged.

At least you can actually drive them in 4. In reach it was impossible to get around at any speed without flipping the hog.

Havok

Anyone thinking of doing this week's campaign challenges solo: don't. The Prometheans offer, as expected, little more feedback than a brick wall when shooting magazine after magazine of shitty Forerunner weapon ammo at them. All of our Knight kills were via backsmack. If you don't know how to speedrun the level, learn. It makes that Banshee segment slightly less of a fucking disaster, though it is still horrible, and the rest of the level is relatively simple to get through if you've got 2 people.

Also, that end-of-level Ghost section is still totally lame.

Moa

a8o7v.png

So, you can get more XP from a challenge for killing Hunters this week than you do for winning 45 Glued to the Flag games.

EDIT: Damn phone, 20 Hunter kills gives 5000 XP which can take literally less than an hour, 45 CTF wins gives you 4500 XP :/

Blueblur1

Anyone thinking of doing this week's campaign challenges solo: don't. The Prometheans offer, as expected, little more feedback than a brick wall when shooting magazine after magazine of shitty Forerunner weapon ammo at them. All of our Knight kills were via backsmack. If you don't know how to speedrun the level, learn. It makes that Banshee segment slightly less of a fucking disaster, though it is still horrible, and the rest of the level is relatively simple to get through if you've got 2 people.

Reading this reminds me of how underwhelming campaign was. How did this happen to Halo? :/

Petrichor

And yet somehow despite all of these problems it was still one of the most entertaining levels in the game. Speaks volumes about the rest of the campaign.

Gui_PT

a8o7v.png

So, you can get more XP from a challenge for killing Hunters this week than you do for winning 45 Glued to the Flag games.

EDIT: Damn phone, 20 Hunter kills gives 5000 XP which can take literally less than an hour, 45 CTF wins gives you 4500 XP :/

343 do u even lift?

Havok

And yet somehow despite all of these problems it was still one of the most entertaining levels in the game. Speaks volumes about the rest of the campaign.
In terms of visuals and atmosphere, it is easily my favorite level (probably not overall, I think Composer probably takes that award - the actual gameplay of the Forerunner level isn't anything to write home about.). Not coincidentally, it is one of the few that has scale on the level of previous Halo games and doesn't look like the sky is exploding from all the bloom lighting.

-----------

From here on out, these challenges are going to start being more difficult as the levels going forward aren't nearly as skippable, with more grinding to a halt for Firefight sections, locked doors, gondolas, whatever.

willow ve

My brother, the biggest and most long term Halo nerd that I know (even his gamertag is based off the ending of Halo CE), told me that the changes to Halo are "interesting" and he has essentially switched over to playing COD.

Broke my heart last night when I saw him on my friends list playing Spec Ops levels in MW2.

Moa

My brother, the biggest and most long term Halo nerd that I know (even his gamertag is based off the ending of Halo CE), told me that the changes to Halo are "interesting" and he has essentially switched over to playing COD.

Broke my heart last night when I saw him on my friends list playing Spec Ops levels in MW2.

"This is it baby, hold me."

Tawpgun

They knew their changes would be controversial, they admitted that. I'm just disappointing they did little to try and please the people they'd be alienating. We got a sloppy slayer pro playlist, closest thing to base halo, and it got removed. The custom options don't allow some classic halo features to return either by glitch or omission.

I'm looking forward to the Slayer Pro playlist coming back, hopefully they listened to some feedback and fixed it. Infinity challenge ends in like a week so the playlist updates coming after should be interesting.

If 343 put in set loadout, static weapon playlist it would be like the Squad Slayer of Halo 4. I know I would come back to play it.

willow ve

343 lands at #25 on Edge's 50 greatest developers.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508016

EDIT: Bungie at 7. Fitting number.

So Certain Affinity can now say they're the 25th best developer of all time?

They knew their changes would be controversial, they admitted that. I'm just disappointing they did little to try and please the people they'd be alienating. We got a sloppy slayer pro playlist, closest thing to base halo, and it got removed. The custom options don't allow some classic halo features to return either by glitch or omission.

I'm looking forward to the Slayer Pro playlist coming back, hopefully they listened to some feedback and fixed it. Infinity challenge ends in like a week so the playlist updates coming after should be interesting.

If 343 put in set loadout, static weapon playlist it would be like the Squad Slayer of Halo 4. I know I would come back to play it.

They knew their changes would be controversial, I don't think they ever thought their changes would be so universally alienating.

Top Bottom