• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Arnie

I'd be pretty pumped too if I was saving Halo.

I have to admit, despite an initial wave of (seemingly unplaced) skepticism, Bravo's done really well since joining 343. Community Test playlist was by far the most enjoyment I've had from the game, even if it was a temporary fixture and arbitrarily pulled after such a limited period.

Fuchsdh

I have to admit, despite an initial wave of (seemingly unplaced) skepticism, Bravo's done really well since joining 343. Community Test playlist was by far the most enjoyment I've had from the game, even if it was a temporary fixture and arbitrarily pulled after such a limited period.
Why should the playlist exist when it's not explicitly testing for something? It sounds like it'll be coming back whenever they want to demo maps for matchmaking, as it should.

Arnie

Why should the playlist exist when it's not explicitly testing for something? It sounds like it'll be coming back whenever they want to demo maps for matchmaking, as it should.

Seems odd to remove something so distinct within the overall pantheon of playlists when there's literally nothing else that caters to such a specific experience. It's not like we can default to another playlist in its absence, it's like one minute I've got something that's fun, then I haven't.

I get that they were testing for something, and perhaps they extracted all the data they needed, but what's the harm in leaving the playlist in the game? Taking it out took my motivation to boot the game up with it.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I wonder if Risen can control flinch in Team Snipes?

Played one game of the new and 'improved' snipes playlist yesterday. They may have made it better but I wouldn't know because I played shotty snipes on Complex. Went plus 18 or something and still had no desire to play another game in the list. Flinch doesn't help but I'm also starting to think the Halo 4 sniper is just plain un-fun to use. I initially thought that about the Reach sniper after Halo 3's but eventually came round to it. 4 has been out for months now and it still feels a bit boring to use. It desperately needs a headshot medal, its model needs to revert back to the traditional sniper aesthetic and the zoomed in scope vision needs to change too.

Also bring back Cage for Team Snipers.

Also Abandon is rapidly becoming an insta-quit map choice in any playlist, any gametype.

I know what you mean about the sniper. I think the problem is mainly that each new game they have made the sniper easier to use. The Reach sniper was significantly easier to use due to increased aim assist and hitscan and then the Halo 4 sniper has even more aim assist, even when no scoping.

The sniper rifle in Halo 4 on a difficulty scale in my opinion would be a 3 or 4 on a scale of 10 if the Halo 3 sniper is a 10.

I don't enjoy sniping at all in Halo 4, its not satisfying as its not really an achievment to be good at sniping anymore. In Halo 3 being good at sniping felt good because it was challenging and required lots of practice.

This to me is the single worst thing about the modern military shooter (spunkgargleweewee) trend. The level of challenge and individual skill in games has been drastically reduced and for me and I think a lot of other people it removes the satisfaction of playing those games.

FyreWulff

It was always going to be around for that short period. It's intention is to dump maps into the hellish pit of retail Xbox Live to see what the playerbase does to them before promoting them to the rest of matchmaking.

Fuchsdh

Seems odd to remove something so distinct within the overall pantheon of playlists when there's literally nothing else that caters to such a specific experience. It's not like we can default to another playlist in its absence, it's like one minute I've got something that's fun, then I haven't.

I get that they were testing for something, and perhaps they extracted all the data they needed, but what's the harm in leaving the playlist in the game? Taking it out took my motivation to boot the game up with it.

Well the problem is you can say that about any playlist. Infection, Grifball, Action Sack, even more "core" types like Team Snipers. It's just a matter of how big each playlist's constituency is.

I think that rotating out playlists weekly is an improvement over Bungie's method of monthly updates, outside the basic Slayer/BTB/Objective lists that should always be there.

(Yeah a custom game browser would offer at least te option to play some of this stuff off-week, and I guess it would be nice as an option although I don't think it would ever work as well as people here hope, and would require a complete overhaul of the maps system.)

Arnie

It was always going to be around for that short period. It's intention is to dump maps into the hellish pit of retail Xbox Live before promoting them to the rest of matchmaking.

I don't really understand what you mean.

What prohibited them from keeping the test playlist around, even if it's served its purpose, considering there's literally nothing that offers a comparable pure experience? So to speak.

Well the problem is you can say that about any playlist. Infection, Grifball, Action Sack, even more "core" types like Team Snipers. It's just a matter of how big each playlist's constituency is.

I think that rotating out playlists weekly is an improvement over Bungie's method of monthly updates, outside the basic Slayer/BTB/Objective lists that should always be there.

(Yeah a custom game browser would offer at least te option to play some of this stuff off-week, and I guess it would be nice as an option although I don't think it would ever work as well as people here hope, and would require a complete overhaul of the maps system.)
I don't really believe that 343 are in the privileged position to start hooking playlists that are so well received without a decent alternative already in place.

The game's population is already terminally low, and considering I've not played the game since the playlist got nuked (because the vanilla experience they shipped with doesn't cater to the Halo fan that I am), it doesn't seem like a smart move in terms of serving their consumers, their fans, extensions of themselves, or so they purport.

FyreWulff

I don't really understand what you mean.

What prohibited them from keeping the test playlist around, even if it's served its purpose, considering there's literally nothing that offers a comparable pure experience. So to speak.

Because it's configuration will be different each time it shows up. It could be FFA, doubles, BTB, Race, upside-down Extraction maps. Since maps might be a bit fresh out of the oven, even if they have an obvious flaw they won't be around for long.

This is what Bungie was doing with Reach before the handoff, where they had weeklong Community Slayer / BTB Forge playlists to test maps in. This is what the CCs and lots of Forgers wanted to happen again.

Since the playlist can morph so dramatically, it's best to take it off once the maps have been updated and promoted elsewhere so people don't get used to it's configuration then load it up one day and suddenly they're playing Flood Race.

What you should be asking for is a mainline playlist with the settings you like. CFT is a feeder hopper that can provide content for any other playlist in the game, not a permanent or consistent experience on it's own.

Hopefully the secret project is about pc ports, but I don't see why that would be 'top secret'.
If they remade Halo 2 without multiplayer, I'd have no desire to buy it at all. The campaign is honestly one of the worst I played on the original xbox. It probably wasn't even that bad to be fair, it was just so disappointing.

Arnie

Because it's configuration will be different each time it shows up. It could be FFA, doubles, BTB, Race, upside-down Extraction maps. Since maps might be a bit fresh out of the oven, even if they have an obvious flaw they won't be around for long.

This is what Bungie was doing with Reach before the handoff, where they had weeklong Community Slayer / BTB Forge playlists to test maps in. This is what the CCs and lots of Forgers wanted to happen again.

Since the playlist can morph so dramatically, it's best to take it off once the maps have been updated and promoted elsewhere so people don't get used to it's configuration then load it up one day and suddenly they're playing Flood Race.

What you should be asking for is a mainline playlist with the settings you like. CFT is a feeder hopper that can provide content for any other playlist in the game, not a permanent or consistent experience on it's own.
Thanks, I understand now.

So, to clarify, the Community Test playlist is a testbed for community made maps (not necessarily settings) that changes depending on the settings that best serve the maps being tested at any particular time? If that makes sense.

Well then I'd agree with your later assertion that they should've enabled the previous Community Test settings to be available elsewhere. Because my motivation to go and play Infinity Slayer on Haven was already criminally low prior to 2013, let alone now, after I've seen how good the game can be, given some actual input from the community.

Tawpgun

what the crap is aas

American Association of Suicidology
American Astronomical Society
Association for Asian Studies

Its dutch for ass

New Ass in Halo 4

Halsey Swimsuit Skin confirmed

After Reach and CEA, I am not open to this idea at all.
This.

DMR already fucks up a ton of remakes. If they stayed in classic playlists they could be good but then its a waste.

IHaveIce

Banned
Just add Halo 2 maps to Halo 4 and disable AAs/drops on them for a Halo 2 playlist. Done.

Yeah if you wnat to halfass it and doesn't want it to feel like Halo 2 then yep, you are done.

EDIT: guys you are forgetting to say no sprint.. Sprint on a same scale Midship would ruin it for sure :/

DMR already fucks up a ton of remakes. If they stayed in classic playlists they could be good but then its a waste.
Perhaps if they adjusted the scope of the DMR to match that of every other rifle in the game*, it would be a little bit better for just about everyone.

* - with a DLC "Hawkeye" perk that allows you to change every 2x scope in the game to 3x. I fully expect shit like this in the next Halo game, judging by past practices from Reach to Halo 4.

wwm0nkey

No AA's. No ordnance. BR as the only preset loadout. Add all of this in the Team Throwdown gametype. Ship H2A.

Made this with the no sprint gametype and someone edited the damage settings a bit to be like Halo 2....it was amazing. I still have it if anyone wants to do Halo 2-ish customs tonight.

No AA's. No ordnance. BR as the only preset loadout. Add all of this in the Team Throwdown gametype. Ship H2A.

Hey now, come on.

BR 4-shot kill
Carbine 6-7 shot kill (would need testing)
Light Rifle remains the same

I for one would welcome getting to use a Light Rifle on some Halo 2 maps with open arms.

Trey

DMR still vilified I see. Make it harder to shoot, or stop designing maps with ridiculous sightlines.

If you can see it you should be able to shoot it.

CyReN

IaA03L3.png

DMR still vilified I see. Make it harder to shoot, or stop designing maps with ridiculous sightlines.

I say make it an initial on-map pickup alongside the Needle Rifle so that true marksmen can go after them even if someone's already taken your Sniper while standard primaries aren't stuck getting pinged like in Reach - that, and it would finally allow for some open maps like Sandtrap again. Take a look at Meltdown if you don't believe me.

The single-shot role is already occupied by the Carbine and Light Rifle, and if you really need the closure of a human single-shot weapon, the damn Magnum's a secondary available at no charge.

Tawpgun

This is literally the same bullshit response by jetpack sympathizers. "Just design maps with no long sight lines" just like "Design maps with jetpack in mind."

No, not only is that near impossible, especially for the bigger BTB maps, but it creates an added restriction to map design.

The only way to possibly make it not that bad is to reduce its red reticle range and auto aim at range.

Madness

Uh what? Ridiculous sight lines have nothing to do with. The fact is, the gun can accurately shoot across 80% of the map. Only the sniper rifles should ever be able to shoot that far accurately. Now you have a weapon that is a mini-sniper, you almost have unlimited ammo since everyone uses it or you can die and re spawn quick enough etc.

Add in jetpack or camo and you can get the drop on almost anyone. Has nothing to do with sightlines but all to do with the fact the gun zooms too far, shoots too accurately. Pair it with stability and you basically take down people from a distance at will. You want to make a map where every 10 feet is a corner? Fine, I won't use the DMR that level, I'll use BR or I'll pick an area of the map that's large enough for me to just stay and watch. With infinity personal ordnance, I don't even need to move, get a few kills or assists and I can rain down rocket launchers right near me.

Some of the best maps in Halo are open sightline maps. The very fact you have a map that played great in Halo 3 with a BR (Valhalla), play like shit with the DMR shows how it's bad for overall gun play. If you want to keep it, fine use it for campaign where you can use it to pick off grunts or elites, but it doesn't work in multiplayer. Very little map play, very little player movement, just both sides donging each other from a distance.

I think I'm now at a +1550 with the DMR in terms of kills/deaths and almost 400+ with the boltshot. I use them precisely because I know how broken and deadly they are.

Jetpack needs to be changed to a pull-start motor that has to be activated by a teammate, or a lengthier third person animation of you starting it like a lawn mower, then hoisting it on your back like a kid with a really thick winter coat.

DMR needs to be a weapon that uses experimental rounds that causes the barrel to explode when fired too fast. Has 4x scope.

Armor Lock needs to be brought back, but as a personal EMP-troll device that immobilizes everyone within a 30ft radius, including yourself, for 15 seconds. The resultant loss of power to your armor also adds the temporary fogging of your helmet due to Spartan Breath and/or Farts.

Halo 5, hire squidhands

Top Bottom