• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Nowise10

That's how the rules have been for years, lol. Before a game is out, we generally move from news thread to news thread.

Why? Why not just have one thread where the fanbase can discuss the game? What is the difference from discussing the game 6 months before its out, too one week before its out, to after its out? Discussing a game is discussing a game.

Sai-kun

Banned
Alright, I'm caught up on the gaming side on Destiny. It's confirmed to be an MMO. No gameplay will be shown. The IGN leaks were all of it. It's no different from Halo (RIP Halo), and no PC means no buy.

jt26M0C.gif

Why? Why not just have one thread where the fanbase can discuss the game? What is the difference from discussing the game 6 months before its out, two one week before its out, to after its out? Discussing a game is discussing a game.

lmao don't ask me, I don't make the rules. As far as I know, it's to keep new news from getting buried in megathreads.

ElRenoRaven

I actually would've wanted to watch that spectacular fireball.

Yea I can't deny It would have been interesting from a train wreck prospective.

http://i.imgur.com/jt26M0C.gif[img]

lmao don't ask me, I don't make the rules. As far as I know, it's to keep new news from getting buried in megathreads.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why they did too. I personally agree that I wouldn't mind the thread being allowed earlier but as Sai here said Evilore's house Evilore's rules. So we abide by those wishes and just patiently wait. Some of the news threads actually become kind of like an unofficial OT. Usually the reveal threads do. So there will be someplace to discuss the game for a long while. Don't worry about that.

TCKaos

Since Eric Nylund, the writer of Fall of Reach, wrote that retcon into the Halsey Journal. As we know, 343 has now directly used this ability in the final act of Halo 4, so it's entirely canon now.

I think it actually showed up in First Strike, with Cortana segmenting herself to handle the separate Covenant systems while further analyzing the data from Halo, if I remember correctly.

I always felt that the inclusion of S-IIIs in Reach was bullshit for various reasons. I hate but at least understand the asspulls Bungie made with Kurt slowly pulling select forces from their ranks over time to compose highly skilled kill-teams (this was in one of the briefing packets that was on B.Net leading up to Reach, with Kurt discussing this with Ackerson), but giving them MJOLNIR still makes no sense.

S-IIIs don't have the proper augmentations to use MJOLNIR. That and the use of SPI in place of MJOLNIR cut down on costs. I guess the excuse is that they were using a privatized variant, Mark V , as opposed to the official variant issued to S-IIs, but at no point in time in any literature are we told this. It's a best guess at best.

Omni

1. It didn't need a TU that wasn't going to fix actual glitches that it had (although it did enable more options for users lacking the HDD, to its credit).
2. It is fun (totally subjective).
3. There are flaws with the game, and valid critical points that have been discussed here, but this is different than

"Reach was shit. Bungie needs to know they fucked up."

If that's your attitude, fuck you and your arrogant bullshit. You're a whiny kid on a forum that knows not even an inkling of what it takes to make a pong clone, let alone a game like Reach.

What I am saying is, you don't have to like Reach, you can hate it for all I care, but shove this fucking bullshit about it being a poorly made game and Bungie being a poor developer up your ass.

And Ross, just an aside, it wasn't anything you said that prompted my post.
1/2/3: I always held the opinion that the game needed a TU to deal with bloom. Vanilla bloom was just too random. Of course, my post was just my opinion and isn't supposed to be interpreted as me spouting out uncited facts.

In terms of the game as a whole, I've always thought "It's an okay game, just not a great Halo game" and I'm sure that others share my sentiment (though honestly, it seems like people are already being effected by nostalgia in regards to Reach. Before Halo 4 the bitching about the game was all over the place... now it seems that most consider it to be amazing). Nothing against Bungie at all (they gave us one hell of a trilogy and have some of the best community interaction I've ever experienced)

I've made a pong clone before.
Not entirely sure where that hostility came from. Even if I did think Bungie was a crap developer
which I DON'T
, an opinion is an opinion, and the argument of "you don't understand what's involved in making said game" is a terrible one; I don't work in the video game industry and I don't plan to. People at Bungie do. And so is it so unreasonable to expect a product that meets your needs as a Halo fan from the people who get paid to do so for a living?

Okay, that's good to know. :)

Madness

Rosso, the problem is Bungie is a game studio and 343 Industries is now an in house entertainment studio that oversees ALL Halo related aspects.

Meaning Frankie, Kiki, Bonnie also decide what happens in the books, movies, comics etc.

Like I said, J.J. Abrams and Disney are now in charge of Episode VII, do you think they really care at all about some established canon by a bunch of writers who wrote stories years ago? They care about their movie and taking the franchise forward. Bungie tried to throw fans a bone by trying to incorporate some accepted Reach canon, but ultimately wanted to tell their own story. For them it was the definite Halo. It tied their series of games together and ended their attachment to the franchise. The delivery of Cortana, the Chief in cryosleep, the last playable level and then the cut scene of the pillar of autumn escaping tied into CE perfectly, which is what they wanted.

You didn't need to watch terminals on YouTube, you didn't need to read the books, the story was pretty explanatory. This is what 343 failed at with Halo 4. You shouldn't need outside sources to play or understand the game.

The games are always going to be the primary medium. And while you may not appreciate the multiplayer for being competitive enough, new introductions that changed how you played, or that you expected the story to be different, you can't say they didn't give it their all. They release Halo 3 in 2007, developed all their map packs, then released ODST, and by 2010 Reach was shipped. It was polished, it had great art direction, great sound, level design. Sure they couldn't hit the highs of Halo 3, but they were somewhat creatively exhausted and tired of Halo.

That's why I'm excited for Destiny. To see a game they haven't been this excited for since Halo:CE. I'm not expecting the second coming of halo, all in expecting is a veteran studio that has spent years to come out with a great new game and universe. I'd fully expect it to play like Gears/CoD than Halo. They didn't leave one of the most successful IP's in modern gaming and proven sales just to make more of the same.

J10

Banned
Since Eric Nylund, the writer of Fall of Reach, wrote that retcon into the Halsey Journal. As we know, 343 has now directly used this ability in the final act of Halo 4, so it's entirely canon now.

Cortana did the same thing when Master Chief and his team took down the Unyielding Heirophant in the novel First Strike. Long time ago.

Dirtbag

Everyone keeps saying they didnt leave Halo to make more of the same.

I actually disagree, they left Halo so they weren't controlled by MS.
I don't see them making a game that is more like COD/Gears at all, we already see vehicles at play.. and nothing about this looks like a 3rd person cover shooter at all.

It seems more like Shadowrun/Halo/Diablo to me.

Mix

I'm so excited for this game.
The odds of us getting gameplay today are slim in my opinion but that it perfectly oaky. Bungie knows what they're doing. If they don't think gameplay today is a good idea then it's not.
I haven't been this excited for something since getting Halo 3 back at Christmas in '07. I want this now more than ever. Listening to this music and anticipating what the game could be and will be has me all different sorts of giddy. I cannot wait to see what Bungie's vision for the future of the genre and the gaming industry as a whole is. Only two hours left guys, lets welcome the light together.

That IGN leak isn't all we're getting today, right?

Imagine the look on all those journalists faces that, after a year and a half of silence, and after inviting them all to fly to their studio for a media bonanza, Bungie hands them 10 concept art pics.

I fully expect more. This is Bungie, lol

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I would PM a mod and see if this coming week someone can make a Destiny Hype thread. Then everyone can take the Destiny talks in there. New news = new threads though.

Computer

They made a console MMO. I'm sure it'll be great, they always are. Who isn't still playing PSO?

PSU is not labeled a mmo but it really is. It is an amazing game that took 2 years of my life. I have a love hate issue with mmo's they are fun as shit to play with friends but, you will have to have no life to get anywhere in the game or give up your job, GF, school work, ect. because of being addicted to the game that never ends.

ElRenoRaven

Yea that guy has me laughing. I mean ok how good a game looks is subjective but I don't know anyone that will say the games were total shit. Also we've now seen the other way with what 343 did and while good looking in some ways 4 wasn't in others. So I myself would have prefered Bungie's way graphics wise if it meant more open levels, weapons remaining for more then 10 seconds, etc. Anyway even those that dislike Reach will say it was a good game but just not a good Halo game. Not that I agree because I did like Reach mind you.

Then anyone who says Bungie wasn't ahead of the game features wise and packing them with content is delusional. They were always ahead of the game there. Then throw in the output which was not bad. Microsoft let them take time to make the game they wanted.

If you stop and actually take an objective look at it, he's right. They haven't been the best since the original xbox.

And what Halo fan is going to say with a straight face that Reach and 3 were better than CE and 2?

How can you take an objective look at it when it's concerning the opinions of Halo games?

This Halo fan will say that Halo 3 is a better game than Halo: Combat Evolved. Halo 3 is, in almost every way, a culmination of Halo's sandbox expanded and pushed to the limits in ways that no Halo game did before it or after. Overall, Halo 3 is the best designed Halo game.

And what Halo fan is going to say with a straight face that Reach and 3 were better than CE and 2?

It's one thing to say 3 and Reach weren't as good as CE and 2, but this clown called the entire franchise a "series of smoking crack rocks". That goes beyond reasonable criticism into the realm of pathetic trolling.

Mix

Nice avatar ;)

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Top Bottom