• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Madness

They doubled down on equipment between Halo 3 and Reach.

Unless Reach was just trolling, I doubt Destiny is going to be any good.

What the fuck does that have to do with Destiny? This is precisely why they left Halo, why they made a new IP, new universe etc. So they aren't shoehorned into making the same game over and over.

It wasn't just Reach, people gave them successive shit for every new release. The fans of CE, hated Halo 2, the fans of Halo 2 used to shit on Halo 3 etc.

Why wouldn't Destiny be good? They're not making a Halo game. They no longer care about arena shooter, equal starts, competitive play as the base of multiplayer.

Yes they wanted to get away from Microsoft. But mostly they wanted to make a new game. No studio wants to work on the same IP, same game that hardly changes for a decade.

With Reach, they tried something new. They wanted to see how new abilities would play out, different types of levels like Spire etc.

Granted it didn't sit too well with the existing fans of the series, but they didn't care. They're not making Halo anymore. It's 343 that has to live with it.

Whether you enjoyed it or not, Bungie packed Reach with a ton of stuff for everyone. They craft communities that go beyond straight competitive multiplayer.

Seriously, the only thing that's going to dampen the Destiny threads are morons who think because Reach wasn't a good Halo game, it means Bungie will fail forever.

Do you really, really, think they didnt notice the feedback?

It's not really that, but Reach has been suffering from the good 'ol "remember the good, forget the bad" syndrome lately.

Really? Everyone seems to be giving it a lot of shit. Or at least when I come into this thread.

I've seen a few people in this thread that will justify the Reach support to no end and act as if 343 are the ones that engraved Armor Abilities into Halo. Halo 4 isn't the game I want it to be, but that doesn't mean the previous installment was better. Seems like many don't think disliking both titles is an option. One has to be better than the other and so-on.

J10

Banned
If you stop and actually take an objective look at it, he's right. They haven't been the best since the original xbox.

And what Halo fan is going to say with a straight face that Reach and 3 were better than CE and 2?

A WILD DIFFERENCE OF OPINION APPEARS!

Halo 3 and Reach were better than Halo CE & 2.

ElRenoRaven

As soon as a few people praise the game here, they are dismissed by saying they're just on a nostalgia trip.

I'm used to that. Reach wasn't perfect. Hell I hate AAs with a passion. I hate the way vehicles were paper thin and easy to destroy but campaign wise yes I loved the game. Even the multiplayer was fun. It wasn't perfect but it was fun. I think the reason more are starting to see how good it was is due to the alternatives which 343 put into Halo 4. I'll take bloom over freaking flinch any damn day of the week. Course bloom honestly never bothered me. I could have taken or left it.

Keep in mind I've grown to like Halo 4's singleplayer and even though I dislike everything about the multiplayer other then the base gun play I'm not going to say that Halo 4 is an awful game.

Halo fans are likened to crack heads, they're always in denial about their habit. Just no getting through to them. I do however appreciate code red and the blast of citrus cherry Mountain Dew. They go great when playing other games.

Haven't tried Halo 4 yet sadly, but it looks like 343 did some great graphical work.

Holyshit. OMG. That destiny thread is getting even better. I can't stop laughing. He's at this point pretty much calling all Halo fans crackheads. HAHAHAHAHA

Toa TAK

Banned
I know once I hit SR130, I'm heading back to Reach to rank up some more. I spent more time in Campaign and Firefight then the actual multiplayer. Plus, I need more credits to get armor I need.

Toa TAK

Banned
The only Halo campaign I think is a little on the bad side is Halo 2. I've really come to dislike the back half of the game.

I really loved it for developing the Arbiter and the Covenant a lot more.
Yet it still told the best story in the entire trilogy.
Well, yes.

Even with that cliffhanger, for me, it's one of my favorite campaigns in Halo. All the more reason why I'd like to see a Halo 2 Anniversary.

Madness

I don't think it works like that.

What do you mean? Bonnie is the general manager for 343 Industries and Frankie is the franchise development director. 343 Industries overseas all halo related multimedia content.

Now I'm not saying that the employees work on the content or that they have any hand in the making of it, just that it's made in conjunction with 343.

This way, 343 is in reality the caretaker of the franchise and allows for more cohesiveness between the books, movies, games.

Havok

I spent this morning playing a few levels from Reach. Elites are so much fun to fight in that game. Seeing enemies that actually react to shots instead of just standing there and being mowed down was really refreshing.
Best story and every level through Delta Halo is great.
Oracle is not a good level, much less a great level. That fucking Flood elevator is atrocious.

Oracle, Sacred Icon, and Quarantine Zone are definitely some of the weakest levels in the series. I don't know that any of them are on the level of, say, Cortana, but they drag on and on and on. I do think that the game starts out pretty well, has a nice middle with Delta Halo and Regret, and the end of that game picks up nicely (sans High Charity) with Gravemind, Uprising and The Great Journey.

The only Halo campaign I think is a little on the bad side is Halo 2. I've really come to dislike the back half of the game.

This is how I look at it.

Halo CE, best exploration/mysterious feel, best atmosphere, best splitscreen
Halo 2, best storytelling, but not necessarily best story/campaign
Halo 3, best overall encounter design, sandbox, epic feel

Halo reach and odst are separate as spinoffs, but halo reach would have best featureset, skyboxes, and best ui. Odst with best campaign mechanic, the hub world/timeline of the game with flashbacks and best firefight.

Not sure where I'll place 4 once 5 comes along.

ElRenoRaven

I spent this morning playing a few levels from Reach. Elites are so much fun to fight in that game. Seeing enemies that actually react to shots instead of just standing there and being mowed down was really refreshing.

Oracle is not a good level, much less a great level. That fucking Flood elevator is atrocious.

Oracle, Sacred Icon, and Quarantine Zone are definitely some of the weakest levels in the series. I don't know that any of them are on the level of, say, Cortana, but they drag on and on and on. I do think that the game starts out pretty well, has a nice middle with Delta Halo and Regret, and the end of that game picks up nicely (sans High Charity) with Gravemind, Uprising and The Great Journey.

Really? I loved the Halo 2 flood levels. They were actually some of my most favorite flood levels from all the games.

Madness

I've loved every Halo campaign. Never seen too much hate on any campaign tbh.

Yeah, I was going to say Halo 2 may have gotten the most hate, but even with it's flaws, it was still generally liked.

For me, the ending kills it. It's like mass effect 3. Doesn't matter how enjoyable some parts were. Some parts were so rushed, others tedious. They completely effed up Chief's ending.

Campaign wise, and I base this on a variety of factors including how I personally felt, it's CE>3>Reach>ODST>4>2

Multiplayer for me is CE=2>3>Reach>4 and it's because while I despised bloom and Armor lock, I enjoyed things like squad slayer, vanilla BTB before the heavies and cragmire shit. Plus the anniversary playlist was also fun.

If throw down is anything like doubles pro and the TU fixes a lot of problems, I could see Halo 4 besting Reach in multiplayer for me.

I've only enjoyed multiplayer a few times on xbox live. Nothing came close to the magic of Halo 2 on xbl, until Gears 1 shipped.

ElRenoRaven

For me, the ending kills it. It's like mass effect 3. Doesn't matter how enjoyable some parts were. Some parts were so rushed, others tedious. They completely effed up Chief's ending.

Campaign wise, and I base this on a variety of factors including how I personally felt, it's CE>3>Reach>ODST>4>2

Multiplayer for me is CE=2>3>Reach>4 and it's because while I despised bloom and Armor lock, I enjoyed things like squad slayer, vanilla BTB before the heavies and cragmire shit. Plus the anniversary playlist was also fun.

If throw down is anything like doubles pro and the TU fixes a lot of problems, I could see Halo 4 besting Reach in multiplayer for me.

I've only enjoyed multiplayer a few times on xbox live. Nothing came close to the magic of Halo 2 on xbl, until Gears 1 shipped.

Honestly Halo 2 grew on me through the years. The end sucked at the time but even back then I always thought it was an easy fix. If they had just ended with the Arbiter and them asking where the ark was and maybe show earth or the Forerunner ship flying through space I'd have been 100 percent ok with that ending. It was the cock tease of Chief saying he was going to finish the fight that pissed me off.

Havok

Really? I loved the Halo 2 flood levels. They were actually some of my most favorite flood levels from all the games.
I really don't like Halo 2 Flood combat. I enjoy fighting combat forms in both CE and 3 quite a bit (not Pure Forms, mind you), but something about either the way the magnetism interferes with their behaviors or the way they react and take hits in 2 doesn't do it for me, despite there being some obvious improvements like the headshot hitbox (shielded Flood can die in a fire, though). Plus, the reduced popcorn effect on the infection forms killed one of my favorite things about CE Flood.

The levels themselves are just way too long and labyrinthine for me to ever want to go back to them.

SpudBud

Brutes are a big reason why I dislike a lot of the last third of Halo 2. Rushed and totally uninteresting to fight. Halo 3 redeemed them though.

Omni

Ross, "you" isn't you. Sorry about the confusion, it could have been written better.
Haha, okay! :)

*snip*
You didn't need to watch terminals on YouTube, you didn't need to read the books, the story was pretty explanatory. This is what 343 failed at with Halo 4. You shouldn't need outside sources to play or understand the game.
Oh for sure. Saying that, there's definitely a balance to be had.

On one side, you've got Bungie's sentiment of "games >>> books", which was pretty frustrating for people who invested their time into reading them as quite often anomalies appeared. On the other end of the scale, you've got 343i and their idea that the books are just as important as the games. As someone who reads the books, I prefer this over Bungie's sentiment, but I can understand how new players can get lost.

343i need to make the books less necessary to understanding the plot of Halo 5... but they should still offer 'extended fiction'

That's why I'm excited for Destiny. To see a game they haven't been this excited for since Halo:CE. I'm not expecting the second coming of halo, all in expecting is a veteran studio that has spent years to come out with a great new game and universe. I'd fully expect it to play like Gears/CoD than Halo. They didn't leave one of the most successful IP's in modern gaming and proven sales just to make more of the same.

I concur. I'm really excited to see what happens with Destiny. I have no doubt that the freedom they got by splitting will lead to some amazing things - though ironically, in 10 years they'll be in the same situation as they were with Microsoft, only this time with Activision.

Halo 2 is my favourite campaign. The atmosphere of the game is... different. Not so much in the 'higher purpose' feels that Halo 3 gives off, but in an ambiguous 'how will this unfold/end' kind of feeling. The MC levels are the stand outs in the game. I still regard Delta Halo and Regret to be the best levels in the series.

Toa TAK

Banned
But the thing is, Halo 2 wasn't about just The Master Chief. Halo 2's story was split between the Arbiter and his redemption story, and 117 doing his thing by discovering the Covenant's plans and putting a stop to them.

And even after all that, The Arbiter ended up being the more interesting character because of his journey/character growth in the game.

Those levels always scared the crap out of me when I was younger. Still kinda do.

Quarantine Zone was actually my favorite flood level in the franchise. You're in a fucking tank blowing up Enforcers and Flood and shit, I mean come on!

The DMR scope looked like this along? How did I never notice...

iniQMVUNxvAh7.jpg

Omni

I made an account on that stream site just so I could spout my nonsensical comments in the chat box.

My body is ready Bungie. When does it start?

Madness

But the thing is, Halo 2 wasn't about just The Master Chief. Halo 2's story was split between the Arbiter and his redemption story, and 117 doing his thing by discovering the Covenant's plans and putting a stop to them.

And even after all that, The Arbiter ended up being the more interesting character because of his journey/character growth in the game.

Those levels always scared the crap out of me when I was younger. Still kinda do.

The problem was that Arbiter was meant to be more of a side story to Master Chief. His fued with the prophets and uncovering the REAL truth was ancillary to the main campaign. And so what happened? Instead of Chief having a great final level, you get a rushed sequence through high charity, leave Cortana behind and just say you'll finish the fight. Arbiter on the other hand got a great level and a final fight with Tartarus.

But I agree, were I to go back and play halo 2, maybe my teenage hate at the game will have worn off.

I judge campaigns on how they played, how I felt, did they have me excited for the future or frustrated, were they memorable etc. It's why I love CE so much. I was blown away by the game.

Halo 2 multiplayer was one of those once in a generation type events. You just had to experience it. I still talk with people I met online with that game. I'm not even close to how good I was then, but that was some of the most fun I've had with multiplayer ever. It wasn't until Gears released in 06 that anything came close.

All this talk about Halo 2 makes me want to go through campaign again though.

Top Bottom