• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

I wish Spartan Ops was more like Terrorist Hunt in Rainbow Six Vegas.
It is still very much a sandbox experience, but you only have one life.

It would make the gameplay less stale, add more replay value, and make more sense canonically.

To deal with griefers, implement a quit ban, no friendly fire, and make it so you gain a big EXP bonus if you live.

Oh no, thats me flying the pelican from a glitch with sitting in the seats. I think I understand what you mean though, you got in the seat of the pelican, but when you get out of it, you are in the cockpit of the pelican, and cant get out, and sense you have no grenades, you are stuck and cant die.

If the pelican has a cannon ontop, try getting into that, and then getting out of it. if it does, you can get out.

Glitch or hack?

matthieuC

Oh no, thats me flying the pelican from a glitch with sitting in the seats. I think I understand what you mean though, you got in the seat of the pelican, but when you get out of it, you are in the cockpit of the pelican, and cant get out, and sense you have no grenades, you are stuck and cant die.

If the pelican has a cannon ontop, try getting into that, and then getting out of it. if it does, you can get out.
Unfortunately, no cannon on top. Even if there was, I quit already.

That's the worst attempt at eliciting a confirmation of an epilogue ever.

It's a good length.

Hype!

Real talk, that's actually my biggest regret for this season of SpOps.

+

With Spartan Ops, we originally had a system in place where you had a shared pool of lives, but would earn more lives after completing objectives.

Unfortunately that was cut for a variety of reasons and we went with unlimited lives as it was the most obvious way of designing around the asshole conundrum of online gaming.

+

Yeah, not to beat this drum again, but enemy scaling was a casualty of production realities as well. Though, there are several missions that alter the number/frequency of enemy spawns based on difficulty and player count.

I should know since I scripted it myself. :)

Season 1.5 made me enjoy Spartan Ops a lot more. If the things above could be added into a potential Season 2, while incorporating what was learned in Season 1 I think Spartan Ops would really excel. I would like to see a stronger focus on story in the missions and maybe a team that actually exists in the cinematics as well.

I really do hope we get a Season 2 now.. I just started getting into Spartan Ops and now its gonna be over, haha.

Computer

CSR sounds like a cleaning product from the infomercial channel

Wf3AvWr.jpg

Caja 117

Deluxe settings make me scratch my head. Awareness armor mod on one of them? I thought there was no radar at all. But hey, it's a test playlist so let's test and give feedback.

Yeah, knowing there are going to be mods like shielding and mobility, or permanent AA specifically Regen, i wont vote for that, i like my halo boring everyone starting with same gun, same everything, so, im going to stick with v2 settings.

GhaleonEB

With Spartan Ops, we originally had a system in place where you had a shared pool of lives, but would earn more lives after completing objectives.

Unfortunately that was cut for a variety of reasons and we went with unlimited lives as it was the most obvious way of designing around the asshole conundrum of online gaming.

Dunno, not my mission. And you can't get out?

If that's the case, you'll probably have to restart. Apologies, I block those seats in my missions for that very reason.
I played Spartan Ops missions solo, as that's the way I wanted to first experience them, and the combination of these two cuts really hurt the experience. (They were a deciding factor in my giving the game way, to be honest.) I'm glad they were at least attempted to have been headed off and are recognized. It was good to see impressions of Spartan Ops turn more positive as the season went on, the mode had a lot of possibilities. I kind of regret not getting through the entire season first, but the unlimited lives/lack of scaling really didn't make for a good single player experience.

Deluxe settings read like a watered down Infinity mode where each person has a role that can counter someone else's role, etc., that personally I don't want. I'll be sticking to v2 settings unless Deluxe proves to be outstanding

and I'm also mystified at no secondary weapon on v2 settings. Is that normal? Why not just have a pistol secondary?

I played Spartan Ops missions solo, as that's the way I wanted to first experience them, and the combination of these two cuts really hurt the experience. (They were a deciding factor in my giving the game way, to be honest.) I'm glad they were at least attempted to have been headed off and are recognized. It was good to see impressions of Spartan Ops turn more positive as the season went on, the mode had a lot of possibilities. I kind of regret not getting through the entire season first, but the unlimited lives/lack of scaling really didn't make for a good single player experience.

Spartan Ops definitely got a lot better. If a season 2 comes along, and it incorporates some of those changes I would almost bet it would worth picking the game back up for the right price.

Oh hell yeah Deluxe looks like exactly what I've been whining for! Yyusssssss
Loadout 3

Primary Weapon – Battle Rifle
Secondary Weapon – None
Grenades – 2x Pulse
Armor Ability – Hardlight Shield
Tactical Package – Mobility
Support Upgrade – Sensor
It just gets tastier!

Super pumped for Spartan Ops!

Duji

Deluxe and v2 look pretty awful.

The Slayer Pro variant in Double Team is the best this game has to offer. I would love to see that in a 4v4 format.

Fuchsdh

Spartan Ops definitely got a lot better. If a season 2 comes along, and it incorporates some of those changes I would almost bet it would worth picking the game back up for the right price.

You can get it for $40 by now I expect, like most games 3+ months after release. But would a Spartan Ops Season 2 really require Halo 4, or would it be released in a separate chunk? I imagine there are dependency and support issues that would have to be considered, in addition to financial considerations.

Booties

Banned
You can get it for $40 by now I expect, like most games 3+ months after release. But would a Spartan Ops Season 2 really require Halo 4, or would it be released in a separate chunk? I imagine there are dependency and support issues that would have to be considered, in addition to financial considerations.
Maybe it's better to wait for a games on demand version.

I'd be on board if they released a two-disc set with:
Halo 4 ODST
Firefight 3.0

Halo 4 Campaign (slight edits for compatability)
Spartan Ops Seasons 1 and 2
Theater for all of it!

DeadNames

Banned
Throwdown seems like a step in the right direction. I don't see why 343 didn't use the pro settings for dubs though. Oh well, still can't wait. I hope the dlc will integrate well.

Edit: speaking of dlc does anyone here have the pictures?

I'd be on board if they released a two-disc set with:
Halo 4 ODST
Firefight 3.0

Halo 4 Campaign (slight edits for compatability)
Spartan Ops Seasons 1 and 2
Theater for all of it!

In all seriousness I do wonder if Halo 4 will get a sort of mid-life bump like ODST did for Halo 3 or to a lesser extent CE: A for Reach.

Also: will we ever see another BTS video?

Ghazi

In all seriousness I do wonder if Halo 4 will get a sort of mid-life bump like ODST did for Halo 3 or to a lesser extent CE: A for Reach.

Also: will we ever see another BTS video?

Mid-Life? It's only been a little over 3 months since release, a re-release at this point would be way to early. At Halo 4's "mid-life" Halo 5 will probably be nearing completion of pre-production and 343i will be on its way to making that!

I'd be surprised if Halo 4 was still getting any support at all 6 months after release.

Duji

Care to explain why they're awful?

There is barely any clarity behind AAs.

If you could see what AA everyone was using with a quick press of the back button (similar as to how you can see everyone's spells in League of Legends with the tab button), I wouldn't be against AAs. That and/or if there were better visual cues, like a hardlight shield user always glowing blue even with the shield put away. Something like that. The only AAs that have visual cues are the jetpack and thruster, and only when viewed from behind. Just no clarity at all.

Yes, you can say that "PV makes a sound when used" Key words: when used. There should be a way to figure out what the player has without waiting for them to use it. In short, this lack of clarity leads to a less predictable and more random game -- something not fit for a competitive gametype. Slayer Pro in Double Team is good because there are no AAs in sight.

That's why.

BravoHalo

In short, this lack of clarity leads to a less predictable and more random game -- something not fit for a competitive gametype. Slayer Pro in Double Team is good because there are no AAs in sight.

That's why.

I totally understand your thinking, and you make a very good point. However, the "3 BR options" doesn't lead to anything random, does it? It leads to uncertainty, and as you said, a lack of clarity, but nothing is random - someone picked a BR loadout, you just dont know which. I'm not saying this ideal, just not random.

But, I agree that it may need to be addressed.

Blueblur1

Yeah, not to beat this drum again, but enemy scaling was a casualty of production realities as well. Though, there are several missions that alter the number/frequency of enemy spawns based on difficulty and player count.

That's good to hear. Though if enemy scaling can't be global then I hope in the future everyone on the team is would go through the trouble of altering enemy frequency and counts like you did. It would make the experience so much better when playing solo or when players drop out (dunno if dropped players can be accounted for though).

There is barely any clarity behind AAs.

If you could see what AA everyone was using with a quick press of the back button (similar as to how you can see everyone's spells in League of Legends with the tab button), I wouldn't be against AAs. That and/or if there were better visual cues, like a hardlight shield user always glowing blue even with the shield put away. Something like that. The only AAs that have visual cues are the jetpack and thruster, and only when viewed from behind. Just no clarity at all.

Yes, you can say that "PV makes a sound when used" Key words: when used. There should be a way to figure out what the player has without waiting for them to use it. In short, this lack of clarity leads to a less predictable and more random game -- something not fit for a competitive gametype. Slayer Pro in Double Team is good because there are no AAs in sight.

That's why.

Dude. It's ok! They took out the powerup-tier AAs. No ProVis, Invis, Jetpack. Also no AutoSentry. Deluxe mode even tries to balance it out by not giving the DMR class an AA. For regular BR modes, the AAs are only unlocked when you get your Personal Ordnance, and so it gets dropped when you die.

I wonder if ProVis/Invis/Jetpack were ever tested as being powerup-tier AAs as map pick ups instead of in the loadouts, or Ordnance-tier for Deluxe.

I wonder if Promethean Vision would be acceptable if, instead of an Armor Ability, it just showed up while scoping in with one or two Promethean precision weapons with the visual indicator still intact.

Prepare to be surprised.
+
That really wouldn't surprise me all too much.

=)

I think I recall 343 saying they would handle TU's differently than past games- Not just as a way to fix things, but as a way to change and add new things. Is that still the plan, where TU's might play out as micro DLC in some ways?

Cause I would kill for 1-sided objective. And maybe something new to Halo.

I like the way BF3 has added not only new maps, but new vehicles, gametypes, weapons, etc. in their DLC + TU's.

exYle

I seem to recall a couple of weeks ago that a Spartan Ops came out early, on Sunday evening. Was that just a mishap or a timezone thing?

DIDS

Neo Member
Random thought while watching this tourney stream - what if instant respawn put you back in without shields? You could either wait the ~5 seconds and spawn with full shields, or mash x and spawn with no shields.

Not saying I like instant respawn - but this would at least make it a risk/reward scenario.

This is a great idea. I always thought AA's would be better with this mechanic in place as well. The "energy" utilized by AA's would be your shields.

Buntabox

I seem to recall a couple of weeks ago that a Spartan Ops came out early, on Sunday evening. Was that just a mishap or a timezone thing?

It was a mishap. BS Angel said something about releasing it "6 hours early" on the Bulletin the following week.

I think AA's would've been more accepted if they were integrated as powerups in Halo 3+, with Thrusters being a natural evolution to movement.

Jet Pack: Pick up the glowing, floating Jet Pack (instead of an Orb like OS/Camo) and for 30 secs/until death your jump button allows to use the Jet Pack if you hold it.

PV: Pick up the glowing! goggles! and for 15 secs/until death you have PV activated.

etc.

Equipment was stored/wasted and AA's are abused. Timed powerups make the most sense in Halo's sandbox.

So can Hardlight work with Active Camo? I mean, think about it. It's pure light. And Active Camo... bends light around the user. Would it bend the light that's there or... bend light around the light?

I'd laugh my ass off if we got Elites given Hardlight staves by the Prometheans, try to cloak themselves to fight Chief... and they just completely turn off.

I wonder if Promethean Vision would be acceptable if, instead of an Armor Ability, it just showed up while scoping in with one or two Promethean precision weapons with the visual indicator still intact.
Wall Hacking Rifles? In 2013?
Honestly I say no. Why?

1) There wouldn't be a limitation like the AA counterpart.
2) What if players prefer not to use PV while scoping?

It's easier to tweak the AA itself instead of the PV scoped rifles.

Duji

I totally understand your thinking, and you make a very good point. However, the "3 BR options" doesn't lead to anything random, does it? It leads to uncertainty, and as you said, a lack of clarity, but nothing is random - someone picked a BR loadout, you just dont know which. I'm not saying this ideal, just not random.

But, I agree that it may need to be addressed.

Wouldn't a game with less predictability consequently be a more random game? Anyway, that's not important.

What is important is that a player -- no matter how skilled -- can never be sure what AA an opposing player has. This leads to a dumbing down on the player's decision-making process because it reduces the reliability of many tactics.

For example, just say Player A knows that he can stick Player B. He runs up to Player B and quickly throws a stick. To his surprise, Player B quickly whips out the Hardlight shield, bouncing the nade off and following up with a kill on Player A. How was Player A supposed to know that Player B had a Hardlight shield? Was he stupid for trying to get the stick? Does this mean that the best way to play is to completely avoid going for head-on sticks due to the chance that players might have the Hardlight shield?

All of the above also applies to support upgrades and tactical packages. If I see that the rocket guy is no shields and is reloading, I'm probably going to rush him. Oh wait, he had Dexterity and just blew me up. With only one of the four loadouts having the Dexterity perk within the Deluxe settings, I would say that I had a pretty good chance of taking out the rocket guy. Am I dumb for taking that risk? Should we all just stop taking risks altogether just like the sticky situation mentioned earlier? Imagine this is a 49-49 game in an MLG event. Are we truly confident in these settings?

Knowing whether or not someone has a perk is the difference between life and death. Therefore they, too, should not have a place in competitive settings unless everyone has the exact same configuration.

And thanks for listening.

Dude. It's ok! They took out the powerup-tier AAs. No ProVis, Invis, Jetpack. Also no AutoSentry. Deluxe mode even tries to balance it out by not giving the DMR class an AA. For regular BR modes, the AAs are only unlocked when you get your Personal Ordnance, and so it gets dropped when you die.

I wonder if ProVis/Invis/Jetpack were ever tested as being powerup-tier AAs as map pick ups instead of in the loadouts, or Ordnance-tier for Deluxe.
Powerup-tier AAs are only a small part of the bigger picture. My problem is that there is no clarity with AAs. Read above.

CyReN

Thanks to all those who tweeted/watched/donated to G4G.

Running Halo 4 on lan is something I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy. So many issues that don't have any logical reasons behind it are amazing. CoD took 1/10th of the time to setup.

What happened to "your armor abilities and mods effect your armor and the way you look"? It sounded like a neat way to give more predictability to the enemies gear, etc.

TheOddOne

Thanks man, we definitely learned a lot as we went a long.

Regarding the LIVE thing. That's the way we were able to avoid charging outright for Spartan Ops. That portion of the game came via a separate P&L. I actually thought it was a good compromise, but understand your point.

Thanks for the insight, Ellis.

Glad to hear most of this news to be honest. I can at least cross out the thought that you guys didn’t think about those aspects. Hope to see how you guys handle another season (if it’s happening!?).

Top Bottom