• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Gui_PT

I cannae' help you. I can give you the original PSDs if you want, but I know nothing about Android theming and don't have anything to test on :)

tumblr_m1m3pnddQQ1qen6qlo2_500.gif

wwm0nkey

On the subject of SpOps 10,
could you imagine if Halsey did defect? She could start a Spartan program for Elites, Grunts with Mjolnir and just imagine what she could do with regards outfitting Storm's ships with Forerunner tech. The future looks pretty bleak if she truly has defected..

Now that would truly be the point of no return.

Karl2177

Could you care to explain why the extraction placement are garbage or why extraction itself is garbage?

Hands down extraction is the best objective in Halo 4, and extraction Haven the best gametype in this playlist.

People will complain about anything, but yours dont seem justifiable.

Alright, I'll bite. Extraction placement on Haven is bad because Red team has a disadvantage. The little ball thingy spawns on the blue side of the hexagon wall. The B placement has no cover whatsoever. It went contested for what seemed like 3 minutes before I stopped attacking the non-objective enemies and just sat back watching my idiot teammates run right into Railgun and Sniper fire.

As for Extraction itself, I have like 3 games of it and no times did I think this was fun. The Throwback one I had bad teammates, and the other two I had Sai Kun and zerofire or the Elzar squad. It tries to be Assault and it tries to be Territories, but it's successful at neither. When a player goes to capture a point, they are stuck in that arming animation until they die or they capture it. This sucks as a player, because the player mindset becomes one that they have to position themselves just perfectly or else it was completely worthless to have started "extracting".

It has to be fun attacking the objective, defending the objective, and most importantly having the objective. In Extraction, similar to Territories, the attacking and defending of the objective is simply slaying the other team. But when using the objective, Territories allows the player to move and defend themselves. In Assault, you could drop the bomb, or maybe attempt the melee. Extraction means you're still crouching pressing X hoping that they are awful at shooting a motionless target. Of course, you could stop extracting, but that means you're back at square one, assuming you survive.

First off, look at the population. If the game was intrinsically better or catered to more players, then the numbers would be better than they are. Hell they'd be better than what Reach's were in the first 6 months.

Second, don't say "something something something.... at the end of the month" as a counter to my argument. It only further proves my point.

Third, the majority population is in those gimmicky playlists because the people they want to play the game quit.

If you're going to be an asshole, at least be correct.
Nothing I said was incorrect, and I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

Is there someplace I can just watch all the Spartan Ops cut scenes? HBO must have them archived somewhere right?

Never mind it is on their front page....yikes.

What's most hilarious about taking the Spartan Ops epilogue at face value is that
Halsey, the character 343 has gone to great lengths to demonize specifically because of her willingness to go to any lengths, cross any line to ensure humanity's survival and dominance, would turn against her kind and join a zealot hell-bent on their genocide because--as far as she could possibly know--she happened to catch a stray bullet from a Spartan during an intense and sudden firefight. "Oh Palmer took a shot at Jul M'dama and hit me, therefore the UNSC has betrayed me and I'll piss away everything I've devoted my life to on a personal vendetta against them." Even if she did have actual reason to believe that the entire UNSC had turned on her (whatever that would even mean, given most of humanity thinks she's dead) she nonetheless knows, acknowledges, and accepts responsibility for the fact that she is a war criminal in Glasslands, and then almost immediately upon being let out of her cage, proceeds to hack the AI running the UNSC flagship while deep in hostile territory. I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be smart enough that a kill order coming through after all of that should elicit a reaction more along the lines of 'yeah, kind of surprised that took so long.'

What's worse is that ridiculous, unearned, poisonously bad 'twist' is basically the only thing of consequence to happen in the finale,
which is pretty incredible since Requiem is destroyed, who'd have thought that would be such a 'meh' development.
So then, if you don't take that scene as given and assume
that Halsey is 'playing' Jul
then the finale is still crap because they blew their entire narrative load on a 'fake' plot point.

Someone earlier in the thread compared the disappointment here to Mass Effect, 3, which is certainly not fair. In that game, the hack writers at Bioware got to ride off into the sunset with their last minute idiocy. 343 actually has to deal with the consequences of the crap they wrote here either in Spartan Ops Season 2 or in Halo 5, which means I get to choose between 1)hope that they'll dig themselves out of this mess somehow or 2)enjoy the schadenfreude which comes with watching them fail miserably to do so. Either way, they don't just get to leave on this ill-conceived mess.

Ugh. Throwdown is Throwup. The Extraction placements are hot garbage. Actually, Extraction itself is hot garbage. I understand that they want to remain close to the core Halo 4 settings as much as possible, but just like Reach the core settings aren't good for competitive play. Get rid of personal ordnance, give me at least a pistol, and amp up the damage settings a bit more. I can live with Sprint, I'd prefer to not have it, but whatever.

Doubles Pro was good. It could use a few slight tweaks, but otherwise it was a fairly good gametype. Why not modify that and place in the competitive playlist?

They need to just get that objective shit out of Team Throwdown. Extraction is nothing but one team camping on a single extraction. If it was like territories it might be better. PO is shit, it still introduces crap like the hardlight shield. If you must have PO why not it let it be regen or something that contributes to teams?

Booties

Banned
Yeah quitting is real bad. I just had a tie game with a kid quit. People are just too used to being allowed to quit as much as they way. I'm gonna give it a week until the scrubs stop playing.

Nothing I said was incorrect, and I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

The overall population is shitty just like your logic. I'm not sensitive, I'm just right.

I remember back in Reach and Halo 3, y'all would be complaining about the quit penalties. "Quitters will always exist so punishing them is futile" was a common argument. This is why JIP is a good thing which is not to suggest that there should be no penalties for quitting.

Introduce some kind of quit ban or disable the ability to quit so easily AND still have JIP for the times when someone accepts their fate and quits anyway.

I watched Tashi's stream earlier... The amount of lopsided games was pretty sad.

DIDS

Neo Member
I think 343 should do something similar to league of legends where when you quit out you can't join another game until the game you quit out of ended, and if you do search while that game is going on you get put back in the game you left.

I think it's a good compromise for join in progress.

Ya, or just take the "leave game" option out of the menu, so you have to go to the dashboard or shut down your xbox in order to quit.

Nebula

Humans should just stop going near Forerunner installations. They all end up destroyed in the end. I have yet to touch the new season of Spops beyond the first chapter and I'm glad I didn't. 343 have lost me on all fronts and seem to be making no attempt to actually give the people what they want.

It's Reach all over again. They are afraid of changing the game entirely and are creating multiple playlists, with multiple rules that keep changing, and then they get removed a week or two later anyway. What was the point of 'simplifying' Halo when they are just going to try and force people to learn more and more variations of the Halo 4 gametypes. It's already too late to change it as well. 343 should have jumped on the communities thoughts and issues immediately with ideas and fixes.

I'm still seriously pissed that they have yet to change vehicle health and that Plasma Grenades and Plasma Pistols even exist in Loadouts in BTB. They also still have yet to put objective in BTB and have still yet to fix the abomination that is Exile. How did they think a map that small and narrow would be fantastic with a Banshee, Gauss Hog and a Tank?

BTB is all I played Halo Reach for. Invasion also scratched that itch somewhat since it gave vehicle action, but Halo 4 makes me wonder how we managed to get something worse. I'm not going back to play Reach cause it is a bad game that I barely managed to play. Halo 4 isn't even playable to me.

I honestly believe 343 are not what Halo needs and shouldn't be leading the franchise. Hell I don't think Bungie is fit to lead after they gave us Reach.

/Rant

Karl2177

I remember back in Reach and Halo 3, y'all would be complaining about the quit penalties. "Quitters will always exist so punishing them is futile" was a common argument. This is why JIP is a good thing which is not to suggest that there should be no penalties for quitting.

Introduce some kind of quit ban or disable the ability to quit so easily AND still have JIP for the times when someone accepts their fate and quits anyway.

I watched Tashi's stream earlier... The amount of lopsided games was pretty sad.

To me, it seems really simple. Include JiP for social playlists, turn that off or require it to be incredibly strict TrueSkill in order to join for ranked lists. In social, have no quitting penalties. Ranked would have harsher penalties like the quit ban. In Reach, unless you were in Arena, the system couldn't have known whether the player was getting on to shoot the shit or whether they were actively trying to play competitively. Same goes for Halo 4. It's why the social/ranked split is a fairly ideal solution.

God, 343 ruined Halsey. She made the freaking SPARTAN program which if she did not, the war would have been lost and everyone would have just died. Here comes Karen Traviss to make Halsey a fucking war criminal and everyone now hates her when she's the reason they won in the first place. Now she's going to be an enemy in SpOps 2 or Halo 5.

The reason I loved the original trilogy so much was because of the story, but now my god.

I like the Covenant and have always been interested in the religious and political stuff, but can we please stop fighting them in Halo 5? We have done it for 5 games now and I understand that it's just a faction group, but then where the hell are the Elites that are allied with the Arbiter? Where is the Arbiter? He's an awesome and significant character who should be playing a role in the games, not the books.

Introduce new Prometheans, Precursors, Flood, or hell just add some new species to the Covenant like they did with Drones and Skirmishers.

Sorry for the rant, but it's just frustrating.

Fracas

#fuckonami
TrueSkill in Halo 4 stopped working (at least for me) back around December. I suppose that's to be expected with the player count.

To me, it seems really simple. Include JiP for social playlists, turn that off or require it to be incredibly strict TrueSkill in order to join for ranked lists. In social, have no quitting penalties. Ranked would have harsher penalties like the quit ban. In Reach, unless you were in Arena, the system couldn't have known whether the player was getting on to shoot the shit or whether they were actively trying to play competitively. Same goes for Halo 4. It's why the social/ranked split is a fairly ideal solution.

Until the numbers in ranked fall off.

Sounds like a pretty nice solution from where we are. 343 are trying to walk on eggshells trying to keep everyone pleased.

Extraction placement on Haven is bad because Red team has a disadvantage.

No, they don't.

The little ball thingy spawns on the blue side of the hexagon wall.

No, it doesn't. It "spawns" wherever the first team to capture it is located at the time of capture. It allows for strategic captures where you specifically arm it on the side where your team has better sight lines or setups. Or you can purposely arm it in the most open/vulnerable location to make it harder to convert.

The B placement has no cover whatsoever. It went contested for what seemed like 3 minutes before I stopped attacking the non-objective enemies and just sat back watching my idiot teammates run right into Railgun and Sniper fire.
So, instead of killing some people and taking advantage of the respawn delay to safely convert or whatever, you and your "idiot teammates" (which is likely why you enjoyed it less) just kept running in 1 at a time going for objective? OK, got it.

When a player goes to capture a point, they are stuck in that arming animation until they die or they capture it.
This is also incorrect. It seems you need to play the gametype earnestly instead of just joining the complain train this time.

It has to be fun attacking the objective, defending the objective, and most importantly having the objective. In Extraction, similar to Territories, the attacking and defending of the objective is simply slaying the other team. But when using the objective, Territories allows the player to move and defend themselves.

So, it seems that your biggest complaint is that it takes a coordinated effort to get the extraction point. I'm sorry, but I don't see the issue here. If teammates/coordination or knowledge of the gametype is the problem, how is that the gametype's fault?

I know you're one of the good guys, but I genuinely think you could not be more subjectively wrong and factually incorrect in this case.

Havok

They need to just get that objective shit out of Team Throwdown. Extraction is nothing but one team camping on a single extraction. If it was like territories it might be better. PO is shit, it still introduces crap like the hardlight shield. If you must have PO why not it let it be regen or something that contributes to teams?
Yeah, 'cause the thing Halo has always needed was more Slayer-only playlists.

The objectives in Throwdown are the primary reason I like it so much. It's the only place in the game where the objective gametype settings actually make sense.

Nebula

Also how did the whole capturing process get through testing? You normally end up stuck on the spot if you interrupt the capture for a good second or two, and sometimes you end up stuck for a good second or two once it has done capturing.

It just feels like a barely tested unrefined feature they threw in.

Caja 117

Alright, I'll bite. Extraction placement on Haven is bad because Red team has a disadvantage. The little ball thingy spawns on the blue side of the hexagon wall. The B placement has no cover whatsoever. It went contested for what seemed like 3 minutes before I stopped attacking the non-objective enemies and just sat back watching my idiot teammates run right into Railgun and Sniper fire.

As for Extraction itself, I have like 3 games of it and no times did I think this was fun. The Throwback one I had bad teammates, and the other two I had Sai Kun and zerofire or the Elzar squad. It tries to be Assault and it tries to be Territories, but it's successful at neither. When a player goes to capture a point, they are stuck in that arming animation until they die or they capture it. This sucks as a player, because the player mindset becomes one that they have to position themselves just perfectly or else it was completely worthless to have started "extracting".

It has to be fun attacking the objective, defending the objective, and most importantly having the objective. In Extraction, similar to Territories, the attacking and defending of the objective is simply slaying the other team. But when using the objective, Territories allows the player to move and defend themselves. In Assault, you could drop the bomb, or maybe attempt the melee. Extraction means you're still crouching pressing X hoping that they are awful at shooting a motionless target. Of course, you could stop extracting, but that means you're back at square one, assuming you survive.

First, the top mid extraction point can be extracted from either point in top mid, if you armed on red side, then you need to make a set up in red side to protect that point, but you can do the extraction eithrr on blue or red side.

Second, the point of extraction B is pure set up beforeand aftet extracting, having a person watching on top red, bottom red and if possible top mawkawk.

Extraction requieres the most teamwork as you need to know exactly when to extract, if you go and extract blindly, your experience is going to be awful.

First, the top mid extraction point can be extracted from either point in top mid, if you armed on red side, then you need to make a set up in red side to protect that point, but you can do the extraction eithrr on blue or red side.

Second, the point of extraction B is pure set up beforeand aftet extracting, having a person watching on top red, bottom red and if possible top mawkawk.

Extraction requieres the most teamwork as you need to know exactly when to extract, if you go and extract blindly, your experience is going to be awful.
image.php

Fracas

#fuckonami
Not leaving GAF, Halo lol. Spartan Ops shitty conclusion, still can't get into MP, it doesn't matter how good these new maps are if the gameplay still doesn't appeal to me.

I think all of us save for like 3 people did that. Or at least to some extent.

I play when gaffers play, that's about it. Throwdown's leagues ahead of vanilla Halo 4, but it's only a baby step in the right direction.

Just played Throwdown. Got stuck in a game with loadouts. Horrible. Also sprint + sword and no red x's.

Just kill off loadouts and sprint. I would rather play Team ARs then deal with this randomness.

Woorloog

Banned
You don't just leave HaloGAF.

Unless you get banned or something.

What do you mean by that?
Does not-ever-playing-with-HaloGAF count as leaving HaloGAF? Like me. No Live Gold, not getting it anymore. Though i still seem to be hanging here so i guess i didn't leave HaloGAF. Halo is afterall more than just the games...

EDIT miss playing with you guys, really. Regret not playing Halo 4 more with HaloGAF last year, i think i played it like twice...

Top Bottom