• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Pairing flag settings to the size of the map is the sort of common sense that has been missing from objective MM management for years.

It will be initially confusing because there's no place on the UI to impart the settings but it's a step in the right direction when we don't have to put up with 30 second return timers on small maps.

New forge playlist is mostly good.

NOKYARD

The only way that should be acceptable in a 2v2 is if the ordnance drop comes with extremely limited ammo. 4 Binary Rifle bullets and 2 rockets maximum, otherwise it is extremely unfair for one team. Throw in the ammo perk and give the Binary Rifle maybe 6 shots and the rockets 4. In regular matchmaking, because I use the ammo perk, I can snag up to 6 (8?) Binary Rifle shots on any given pick-up. In a 4v4/5v5/8v8 situation, this is acceptable (although it might be a tad ridiculous), however I couldn't even possibly begin to see how this would work in a 2v2 setting. I'd feel like rage quitting if it happened to me.

Ideally, I'd like to see set spawns with 2:30-3:00 minute timers for power weapons, such as the sniper, binary rifle, incineration cannon, and rocket launcher with extremely limited ammo. I'd still keep personal ordnance around as well, however limit it to smaller power weapons, such as the concussion rifle (two clips), shotgun (one clip), scattershot (one clip), sticky detonator (4 shots), needler (two clips), etc. Speed boost, damage boost, and overshield would also be personal ordnance options, however each would only last thirty seconds (maybe a one minute maximum).

That's my ideal settings for 2v2 anyways.

They have not yet defined the Team Doubles game variant. Post this in the map threads at Waypoint where the proper personnel can see it.

I don't have my H4 at the moment. What weapons spawn?

And hey, it's a step in the right direction :p

From what I can tell power weapons spawn through ordnance drops, and regular weapons like the DMR, needler, etc. are just there the way they've always been in Halo. Not a fan of mixing it up this way.

Also, this kind of lack of consistency in matchmaking since 343 took over Reach is frustrating.

Havok

So all the forge maps have static ordnance? No global nonsense?
Global Ordnance is there in limited capacity. For example, Garrotte will spawn a weapon either on the left or right side of the map every two minutes. They are basically neutral locations. For the most part, weapons are either initial ordnance resupplies or weapons placed on the map.

It is good.
From what I can tell power weapons spawn through ordnance drops, and regular weapons like the DMR, needler, etc. are just there the way they've always been in Halo. Not a fan of mixing it up this way.

Also, this kind of lack of consistency in matchmaking since 343 took over Reach is frustrating.
It's a test playlist. Test is right in the name. If the reception is good enough, I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear in general matchmaking. In a pipe dream that I would love to become reality, maybe it'd even go global outside of BK Bonanza Infinity Slayer.

Fuchsdh

Global Ordnance is there in limited capacity. For example, Garrotte will spawn a weapon either on the left or right side of the map every two minutes. They are basically neutral locations. For the most part, weapons are either initial ordnance resupplies or weapons placed on the map.

It is good.
That's kind of what I was hoping global ordnance would be in the first place. Random locations or random weapons, but not both at the same time.

Havok

That's kind of what I was hoping global ordnance would be in the first place. Random locations or random weapons, but not both at the same time.
Same. Limiting it like they are allows for variation in how a match plays out without throwing all semblance of predictability out the window. On the map I've been building in ten minute bursts over the course of two months, I've got initial ordnance resupplies for all the weapons except for a single Random Drop point that will either spawn a Railgun, Sticky Detonator, or Undecided Weapon #3. I like the idea, the execution just stunk.

Toa TAK

Banned
Just finished the episode. This is the best one yet. It's better than the entire first half of the season. This is what Spartan Ops should've been like during its first half. Much better. And I'm glad they kept the Legendary Matchmaking, it's a lot more fun and rewarding (especially XP wise). This was awesome and I can't wait for next week.

Not entirely sure why the Elite detonated the bomb, killing all of other those Elites... but then seemed annoyed that the one Elite had been shot beforehand....
The Elites have conveniently become complete idiots in Spartan Ops despite being a very smart species in everything in the Halo universe prior to this.
Halo 4.

Ordnance, cool.

But then...

That spot is covered with a hard kill zone. I found out the hard way.

Why would it do that.

Is there something in place in Forge that would prevent personal ordnance from dropping off the play space?

RoKKeR

Just fired up my H4 disc, haven't played in a while. Going to jump into the Forge playlist first.

These population numbers are depressing. 518 in your newest DLC playlist? Weak.

Blueblur1

Just fired up my H4 disc, haven't played in a while. Going to jump into the Forge playlist first.

These population numbers are depressing. 518 in your newest DLC playlist? Weak.
That's what happens when the code fan base is alienated and the first map pack is a collection of large maps nobody wanted.

ElRenoRaven

The Elites have conveniently become complete idiots in Spartan Ops despite being a very smart species in everything in the Halo universe prior to this.

While it was still stupid he didn't know the explosive vest was ripped off the Egghead. As far as he knew it was still on him. So he thought he was blowing up the geek and not the Elites chasing him. So it wasn't as stupid as it could be but yea was still pretty stupid.

Speaking of my post did we notice the only utterance of one of those two words was just in the recap. That was a nice improvement too I thought. I'm sure it won't last though.

Havok

Is there something in place in Forge that would prevent personal ordnance from dropping off the play space?
I honestly don't know. The system is so weird about where it will and won't drop stuff. Sometimes it'll refuse to work on inclines and put stuff behind me, sometimes it'll work just fine.

Generally I solve this problem by not playing bad gametypes like Infinity Slayer.

For those who have played it, how is Lockout?
The map itself is fine. People camoing, jetpacking, instantly respawning, and boltshotting on it is decidedly less than fine.

While it was still stupid he didn't know the explosive vest was ripped off the Egghead. As far as he knew it was still on him. So he thought he was blowing up the geek and not the Elites chasing him. So it wasn't as stupid as it could be but yea was still pretty stupid.

Speaking of my post did we notice the only utterance of one of those two words was just in the recap. That was a nice improvement too I thought. I'm sure it won't last though.

That whole scene was silly. He just turns and walks away with 10 elites standing there and no one notices? Comeon.gif

mhi

No it shouldn't, because it is terrible with Armor Abilities

Disagree. I think it lends itself well to the faster pace of Halo 4. Reminds me of the duel-wield fests of yesteryear.

Could you use more Library and BR2 spwans tho.

ElRenoRaven

That whole scene was silly. He just turns and walks away with 10 elites standing there and no one notices? Comeon.gif

Now that part I'll agree to let him get away in the first place was stupid as hell. You can certainly tell these Elites aren't trained Military units because I don't see that happening with the Elites we fought in Halo and Halo 2.

Korosenai

Just played the first Chapter of Episode 6 of SpOps, and i've gotta say.... I'm a believer now.

No lag, epic moments, and the game actually put it on Legendary instead of Heroic (finally) so it was more of a challenge. I loved it.

The fact alone that I didn't get lag was all it took for me (This makes the second lag free game of SpOps i've played out of about 40).

RoKKeR

The map itself is fine. People camoing, jetpacking, instantly respawning, and boltshotting on it is decidedly less than fine.
My first impression is similar. The maps themselves are pretty good and are enjoyable to play on, but the AA abuse just ruins any hope if them feeling like "classic" Halo. I wish they'd just ban AA's from this playlist.

Also, is it just me or are the textures on these maps really muddy? Walls and floors look like the game is still trying to load them. Not to mention the color pallet is abhorrent.

Anyone else getting crazy long matchmaking times? NAT is open, but I'm having to wait several minutes for a match.
Nope. I'm on open NAT too (my last day of it sadly, I go back to college tomorrow) and I'm finding games pretty quickly.

Just played the first Chapter of Episode 6 of SpOps, and i've gotta say.... I'm a believer now.

No lag, epic moments, and the game actually put it on Legendary instead of Heroic (finally) so it was more of a challenge. I loved it.

The fact alone that I didn't get lag was all it took for me (This makes the second lag free game of SpOps i've played out of about 40).
No way.... I've gotta try this out.

Moa

Hopefully someone can pass this along to the appropriate people.

You can Jetpack on top of a pillar at red base on Simplex, typing this on mobile so no image or anything.

Rev3rb

I wonder how Uncaged would work with Halo 4 (without instant respawn and ordnance mind you).

tumblr_md38qf3gfZ1rack1jo1_400.jpg

I'd laugh my ass off at personal ordnance on The Cage. Just imagine how many people would call in Binary Rifles or Damage Boosts only to have it fly right past them off a rail and into the ocean or something.

I think I'm about halfway through the first part of Episode 6 but these environments already feel more like Halo(lol) than the rest of SpOps. Feels more like a big sandbox to play in.

RoKKeR

forge maps are so ugly and hard on the eyes in halo 4. never would have thought id prefer the grey from reach.
Yeah they are god awful. It makes the game look old. Bad textures, muddy colors, poor frame rates, it's hard to believe this is the alleged 360 graphics king when playing Forge maps.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Sooooooo thoughts?

Garrotte (probably spelled that wrong) plays well, especially with CTF. Maybe a bit small.

Lockout remake is really bad. Doesn't work with 4's mechanics at all. Camo around corridors all day.

Simplex is my favorite, great flow. Return spots for the flags don't need to be on platforms though.

Not sure if I've played the others. Overall, impressions are pretty good. Aside from the Lockout remake, the maps are better than Halo 4 vanilla, aside from Haven.

edit: Also, JiP has been cruel today. Finished several entire games down a man and lost.

DeadNames

Banned
forge maps are so ugly and hard on the eyes in halo 4. never would have thought id prefer the grey from reach.

I think they look quite good as a matter of fact.

I'd laugh my ass off at personal ordnance on The Cage. Just imagine how many people would call in Binary Rifles or Damage Boosts only to have it fly right past them off a rail and into the ocean or something.

I was talking about no spint/instaspawn/ordnance :p

To be honest, I didn't mind Uncaged in Reach. It could be great in 4 with static spawns and BR starts.

rakka

yeah Garrotte and simplex work well for ctf

scythe swat isn't too bad.

shutout runs like crap in heated battle.

camp/boltshot and AAs / ordnance in general still suck and ruin the maps especially the remake, doesn't feel the same.

all the maps look like shit though as I mentioned in a previous post. reach forge maps are nicer to look at by far.

DeadNames

Banned
It's still in matchmaking in Reach. I think that was "experiment" enough for UnCaged - if you want purgatory just put that disc back in your Xbox.

Yeah but see my post above. No sprint, instant spawn, or ordnance in any form. Static weapons and BRs. Could be awesome.

H4s core gameplay is much better than Reach's. Especially the grenades.

Top Bottom