• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I don't read many long posts, but when they're as illuminating as henery's I had to. Good shit.

OT, but I know a few of you are graphic designers/are better at Photoshop/Illustrator than I am. Is there a way to extrude a transparent layer from an object? What I've been doing is using the eraser to a poor effect.

As an example, this is what I'm going for:

What I want to know is if there is an effect that does something like this(pardon my laziness with the curve of the P) and covers anything below it:
In PS you can make a selection on the P then go to (using CS2 here so bear with me if it's changed) select > modify > expand to do exactly what you're illustrating in that second image. Is this how you want the result to be?

zs7zncS.png

OT, but I know a few of you are graphic designers/are better at Photoshop/Illustrator than I am. Is there a way to extrude a transparent layer from an object? What I've been doing is using the eraser to a poor effect.

What I want to know is if there is an effect that does something like this(pardon my laziness with the curve of the P) and covers anything below it:

I'm actually working in illustrator right now. What I'd do is:

-Duplicate the "P" and put it behind the real one
-Go to edit -> transform -> scale and increase it to approximately 110% or so
-Lock the original "P" layer
-Select everything in that general region - the big background "P" and anything that may be going inside it
-Make sure the P is at the very bottom.
-Go to Window -> Pathfinder and open that little window up.
-With everything still selected, hit "Minus Front," which is the second option from the left on the top row.

Let me know how that goes.

Karl2177

I don't read many long posts, but when they're as illuminating as henery's I had to. Good shit.

In PS you can make a selection on the P then go to (using CS2 here so bear with me if it's changed) select > modify > expand to do exactly what you're illustrating in that second image. Is this how you want the result to be?

http://i.imgur.com/zs7zncS.png[img][/QUOTE]

Yes, yes. Thank you.

Blueblur1

So according to Halo Charts, Halo 4's population has been under 50k since March 18th. I wonder if it'll jump past 50k for a few days next week once the maps hit.

Edit: Henery got The Ghaleon Bump™.

senador

Banned
So according to Halo Charts, Halo 4's population has been under 50k since March 18th. I wonder if it'll jump past 50k for a few days next week once the maps hit.

I still haven't downloaded the previous pack even though I got the LE. :/

I dont think so, none of the other ones have and not even a free map gave a boost.

Computron

Not sure if this is what you want, but masking would be one easy way to go about doing that if you're working in Photoshop.

I screencapped a quick .GIF with LICEcap of one way I might do it, and it looks like so:

igQAUqHQS8NBX.gif

The part where I load the selection of the "P" text layer's transparency can be faster done by Ctrl+LeftClicking the text layer's icon.
But CTRL+clicking doesn't show in the .GIF, so thats another way of doing it.

Hope that makes sense.

heckfu

Banned
I think it's a good thing when when good, constructively critical posts get acknowledged. I don't really understand mocking it. That seems strange to me.

Don't understand mocking what? They sent back a pretty standard response as they do with most things like that I'm sure.

I think that we should acknowledge that while HaloGAF has subsets and players of all kind we have never unanimously agreed so much about one thing, and that is that Halo 4 is not a good Halo game and the next game needs a lot more focus.

Its not even a bad game, if it had some other name it would probably be pretty well accepted. However its not a Halo.

Karl2177

I'm using Photoshop right now, but I have Illustrator if I needed to use it, Wahrer.

Not sure if this is what you want, but masking would be one easy way to go about doing that if you're working in Photoshop.

I screencapped a quick .GIF with LICEcap of one way I might do it, and it looks like so:

http://i.minus.com/igQAUqHQS8NBX.gif[IMG]

Hope that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

This works great. Thanks! Ending was unexpected.

heckfu

Banned
They may not read it, but they replied to his tweet and they have a lot of followers that might read it as well. Good exposure.

lol what goes does it do if they (you know, the people who are in charge of decisions) don't read it? I'm not arguing how good of a post it is I'm just saying everyone here is applauding a very standard response.

If they read it and change things then more power to them, but it looked more like community relations than anything else to me.

Ramirez

lol what goes does it do if they (you know, the people who are in charge of decisions) don't read it? I'm not arguing how good of a post it is I'm just saying everyone here is applauding a very standard response.

If they read it and change things then more power to them, but it looked more like community relations than anything else to me.

tumblr_lz3gd4LugV1r6i3cdo1_500.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Gotta agree with Heckfu but I do know that a lot of feedback, including this very fucking thread (sorry) is read by 343. Jess or whoever behind that Twitter account replying to Ghaleon's tweet isn't a, "OMG 343 is listening to us now!" moment.

AKA make your criticisms readable.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Gotta agree with Heckfu but I do know that a lot of feedback, including this very fucking thread (sorry) is read by 343. Jess or whoever behind that Twitter account replying to Ghaleon's tweet isn't a, "OMG 343 is listening to us now!" moment.

AKA make your criticisms readable.

Like was said before, I think most of us here have written a post or few like that. I know I started posting in HaloGAF right after I did one about how loadouts and ordnance ruin balance in a gaming side Halo 4 thread and Karl backed me up.

I've done at least one other one in one of these OTs about Reach vs. 4. We've all had our moments but it gets tiring when you wait months for progress and get none.

I think I said before, it was very revealing that it took hiring an MLG player for us to get a gametype that vaguely resembled what we like about Halo.

Booties

Banned
It's a reply to make us feel good and leave them alone. It takes over six months to see real change as they've made painfully apparent to us already. By then we will all have ps4 and gaming rigs.

People who bought or rented Halo 4 to see if it was normal again have disappeared. They won't be back five months from launch when it's announced in a corner of an internet forum that Team Throwdown, a normal-ish Halo playlist is coming to Halo 4! After that opening week they've made their mind up and you've lost them forever.

This describes me perfectly and that was an all-time greatest post.

Computron

LICEcap is officially the best thing ever.

PXksgtF.gif

Well, something like that would actually probably be easier to do in photoshop entirely and would result in better compression, less dropped frames (Non of that jerky motion) and better color retention.

On the other hand, when I am semi-often tasked with helping people with software or bug write-ups, (Which often have very little motion, very few colors and a handful of other ".GIF compression convenient" aspects) I find its much faster to just screencap the a .GIF than to write up all the specifics.

But yea, LICEcap is amazing. It does a great job with compression (Which I sometimes can't even match in PS) and its really lightweight.

OK, lets not go crazy now...

Well, something like that would actually probably be easier to do in photoshop entirely and would result in better compression, less dropped frames (Non of that jerky motion) and better color retention.

On the other hand, when I am semi-often tasked with helping people with software or bug write-ups, (Which often have very little motion, very few colors and a handful of other ".GIF compression convenient" aspects) I find its much faster to just screencap the a .GIF than to write up all the specifics.

But yea, LICEcap is amazing. It does a great job with compression (Which I sometimes can't even match in PS) and its really lightweight.

Well yeah, I have enough experience keyframing to know it'd look better, it was just a quick test. The fact that it's live means that it's amazing for something like capturing youtube videos, though. For example:

No one at 343i is paying any attention to that post by Henery. Its going to be read and shelved straight away. They have had months to make significant changes to Halo 4 and the most we have is a flat forge map and a couple of gametypes that are half way to want people want.

Vast majority of the maps still blow and this can't change. No legacy map pack is going to come and even if it did no one is buying it so they can play infinity slayer on lockout.
Sprint is staying and for some its seen as a lesser evil but personally I think its one of the main problems at this point

Its not that Henery's post is going to fall on deaf ears its that its falling on ears that simply don't want to implement the changes that the community wants because its clearly not inline with the vision of 343i.

Core Halo 4 is great. stripe away the garbage intended to bring in a new crowd and you have possibly the best Halo game to date. Play one of those modded zero sprint gametypes with actual respawn times and weapons on map on haven and its amazing.

Nothing is saving Halo 4 at this point Id rather they just said "fuck it we goofed" worked on bringing Halo 2 MP out with snazzy HD content for the 10th anniversary and built Halo 5 to be the definitive Halo title.

In reality the most likely scenario is we get a Halo 2 map pack for Halo 4. HD Halo 2 campaign and Halo 5 that basically Halo 4 with some new guns and AA's

Karl2177

Computron

^Fuck yea, JDownloader.

Well yeah, I have enough experience keyframing to know it'd look better, it was just a quick test. The fact that it's live means that it's amazing for something like capturing youtube videos, though. For example:[/URL]

Youtube downloader extension (Or ^JD) + Custom Photoshop Droplet + "Send-to webhost/min.us" shell extension = .GIF Machine

Core Halo 4 is great. stripe away the garbage intended to bring in a new crowd and you have possibly the best Halo game to date. Play one of those modded zero sprint gametypes with actual respawn times and weapons on map on haven and its amazing.

This is what frustrates me to no end. The problems in Halo 4 are much easier to fix than the ones in Reach, yet here we are.

Well yeah, I have enough experience keyframing to know it'd look better, it was just a quick test. The fact that it's live means that it's amazing for something like capturing youtube videos, though. For example:

Time to make more reaction gifs.

No one at 343i is paying any attention to that post by Henery. Its going to be read and shelved straight away. They have had months to make significant changes to Halo 4 and the most we have is a flat forge map and a couple of gametypes that are half way to want people want.

Vast majority of the maps still blow and this can't change. No legacy map pack is going to come and even if it did no one is buying it so they can play infinity slayer on lockout.
Sprint is staying and for some its seen as a lesser evil but personally I think its one of the main problems at this point

Its not that Henery's post is going to fall on deaf ears its that its falling on ears that simply don't want to implement the changes that the community wants because its clearly not inline with the vision of 343i.

Nothing is saving Halo 4 at this point Id rather they just said "fuck it we goofed" worked on bringing Halo 2 MP out with snazzy HD content for the 10th anniversary and built Halo 5 to be the definitive Halo title.

In reality the most likely scenario is we get a Halo 2 map pack for Halo 4. HD Halo 2 campaign and Halo 5 that basically Halo 4 with some new guns and AA's

This is what frustrates me to no end. The problems in Halo 4 are much easier to fix than the ones in Reach, yet here we are.

Pride is the greatest sin.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Like was said before, I think most of us here have written a post or few like that. I know I started posting in HaloGAF right after I did one about how loadouts and ordnance ruin balance in a gaming side Halo 4 thread and Karl backed me up.

I've done at least one other one in one of these OTs about Reach vs. 4. We've all had our moments but it gets tiring when you wait months for progress and get none.

I think I said before, it was very revealing that it took hiring an MLG player for us to get a gametype that vaguely resembled what we like about Halo.

Well you have to be realistic about it all. HaloGAF is just a fraction of all feedback 343 gets. And feedback includes forum posts, tweets, articles, videos, podcasts, live streams and then data they get in game. And just because they see it, that doesn't mean they will or even can act on it. Also, these things don't happen overnight.

And if when Halo 5 is announced and 343 says, "we listened to all the feedback and here's Halo 5" and it's actually based on the feedback that was gathered, then what?

GrizzNKev

Banned

This much would satisfy me. As long as they could convince me they were going in the right direction.

As of right now I've given up XBL and Xbox gaming in general because Halo was pretty much my only reason to have the console. Halo 4 was the first Xbox 360 game I bought since Halo Reach and once I was done with that I let my Live expire. I have no intention to buy the new Xbox until I find an exclusive I'm actually excited about, and being free from the shackles of XBL Gold sure is nice. Makes PS+ look pretty compelling.

Well you have to be realistic about it all. HaloGAF is just a fraction of all feedback 343 gets. And feedback includes forum posts, tweets, articles, videos, podcasts, live streams and then data they get in game. And just because they see it, that doesn't mean they will or even can act on it. Also, these things don't happen overnight.

And if when Halo 5 is announced and 343 says, "we listened to all the feedback and here's Halo 5" and it's actually based on the feedback that was gathered, then what?

Pretty much what I just said. I'm a Halo fanboy through and through, and even though I'm incredibly excited about what Destiny might bring I'm not just going to ignore what the future of Halo holds. If Destiny doesn't end up on PC, Halo 5 the deciding factor in whether I'm getting a PS4 or Xbox 720.

If it's anything like Halo 4, I'm not interested.

GhaleonEB

It's my nature to be a cynical bastard, but I also have a pretty wide reasonable streak. I see the exchange as going like this:

The Henery: *great post*

Ghaleon: Hey 343, please read this. *links great post from The Henery*

343: Okay, thanks.

Ghaleon: Cool, thanks.

Heckfu: lol *flings poo*

I'm not expecting anything other than someone at 343 to read it. That's all I was hoping for. I think that's all you can reasonably expect from a forum post. I'm glad they acknowledged the post and replied in a public way that put a lot of eyes from the community on it. I didn't expect a fucking miracle from it. Geez.

Top Bottom