• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Since this post doesnt count and we all verbally think Andy wins.

Andy is the winner.

Thanks.
Xand always wins.
Problem is, the game didn't bomb. Next Halo though they should be worried since people will have to buy a new console to play it.

I wonder how DLC sales are.
The problem is you are assuming the majority thinks the game is a failure which is not the case. I know a lot of people who loved Halo 4's campaign, enjoying the multiplayer. Those people will buy Halo 5. And I do think those are the majority. Those people are not the people who will play the multiplayer for months afterwards.

CyReN

robert-deniro-laughing.gif

That last act was... what the hell.

Yea, that was just...yea.

Read the Snyder post.

He certainly has an over inflated sense of his own importance though it's difficult not to sound bloatedly egotistical whilst writing about yourself in the third person. He's obviously a little reckless, primarily in releasing this sort of thing at all but also to do so without proof reading it once - it's littered with spelling and grammatical errors.

The "He's shipped bigger games than this one" comment really disappointed me: There isn't a 'bigger' game than Halo 4, really, or you certainly shouldn't think so if you're a person responsible for making said Halo.

But

That blog made me more sympathetic towards 343 regarding the eventual product that is Halo 4 than anything that 343 has put out in an official capacity. Part of the frustration many had with 343 post Halo 4 launch has been their "Nothings wrong! Everything's absolutely fine and we love the community, thank you for playing our game. Less than three!" I realise 343 are in a difficult position regarding admitting their own faults and the shortcomings of their product but some peeks into the gory nuts and bolts of the development, even if it's not always pretty, goes a long way.

I think the most important thing to take away from it is that a bigger team is definitely not always better. Halo CE and 2 had teams a lot smaller than the subsequent games.

Also, I'm sure most here know about this but I've just discovered it and it's amazing

https://soundcloud.com/teamteamwork/sets/the-ocarina-of-rhyme

this Jesse Snyder guy sounds like he has a serious chip on his shoulders. I can't say I'll be sad to see him gone.

Also someone brought up that 343 wanted consistent sandboxes over single player and multiplayer. I don't really understand why. CE had inconsistent sandboxes (namely the pistol) and that was great.

Yeah, I don't know if the more closed sandbox was due to this guy or the ram limitations of the 360 but it seemed really closed in. Fight > Run to Portal > Fight > Hit this switch > Run to portal. It wasn't a terrible campaign from a game play perspective but I hope they move on from these levels built around using a specific AA.

The story wasn't great either but idk who lead that part.

Read the Snyder post.

He certainly has an over inflated sense of his own importance though it's difficult not to sound bloatedly egotistical whilst writing about yourself in the third person. He's obviously a little reckless, primarily in releasing this sort of thing at all but also to do so without proof reading it once - it's littered with spelling and grammatical errors.

The "He's shipped bigger games than this one" comment really disappointed me: There isn't a 'bigger' game than Halo 4, really, or you certainly shouldn't think so if you're a person responsible for making said Halo.

But

That blog made me more sympathetic towards 343 regarding the eventual product that is Halo 4 than anything that 343 has put out in an official capacity. Part of the frustration many had with 343 post Halo 4 launch has been their "Nothings wrong! Everything's absolutely fine and we love the community, thank you for playing our game. Less than three!" I realise 343 are in a difficult position regarding admitting their own faults and the shortcomings of their product but some peeks into the gory nuts and bolts of the development, even if it's not always pretty, goes a long way.

I think the most important thing to take away from it is that a bigger team is definitely not always better. Halo CE and 2 had teams a lot smaller than the subsequent games.

Also, I'm sure most here know about this but I've just discovered it and it's amazing

https://soundcloud.com/teamteamwork/sets/the-ocarina-of-rhyme

Yep, I have said it before. Part of what made Halo fun was Bungie. They were a blast. 343i from its inception, communication and community always felt very corporate.

idk much about this guy leaving but I remember when Ryan Payton, one of the creative directors left in 2011 that something was wrong there.

Maybe 343i's collection of talent was too big and ego's got in the way. You can almost tell each part of the game was being handled by its own dept doing their own thing.

m23

DONT POST THE XANGA BLOG DEFAMING ME.

----
Beat Lara Croft, really solid game. UC2 > LC > UC3/UC1. Onto ME3 DLC.

I'm gonna be picking up all the me3 dlc at once after I finish my current games. Going to be doing one final epic playthrough of me3 on insanity, can't wait.

Yep, I have said it before. Part of what made Halo fun was Bungie. They were a blast. 343i from its inception, communication and community always felt very corporate.

idk much about this guy leaving but I remember when Ryan Payton, one of the creative directors left in 2011 that something was wrong there.

Maybe 343i's collection of talent was too big and ego's got in the way. You can almost tell each part of the game was being handled by its own dept doing their own thing.

And still, they managed a very good game even with the fact that this was their very first attempt (as a team) at making a huge franchised game like Halo. Im hopeful for the future of Halo tbh. Sure they've made mistakes, but they've also managed to impress me more with this game than Bungie ever did on 360 with their passed three.

They've made mistakes, but i have no doubt that they will listen to the community, learn and help make 4 and future products that much better. The franchise is in good hands that i have no doubt. And if people like that who've apparently worked on something bigger than Halo (like it was nothing) don't wanna be a part of that, then good riddance is all i gotta say to that.

The people who are part of the team should want to be there. If they dont, then leave. Negative shit and excuses wont help the process.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
why won't ranks be in the game?
Probably because they promote and encourage quitting more than they do anything positive.

The direct negative effects on gameplay for everyone > satisfying a subset of the population's superiority complex.

Havok

How are the initial spawns on Haven 1-Site Extraction still not fixed? It's been well over a week now and blue still spawns in a shitty corner of the map while red spawns at the normal closed ramp because there are no initial spawns for blue team set up on that variant. How does this happen?

Cow

Probably because they promote and encourage quitting more than they do anything positive.

The direct negative effects on gameplay for everyone > satisfying a subset of the population's superiority complex.

It would be easy enough to stop boosting, wouldn't just making players play with players with skill levels +/- 10 fix it. stop parties that exceed this limit from playing? Wouldn't that do the trick or am I not understanding how boosting worked.

Ghazi

And still, they managed a very good game even with the fact that this was their very first attempt (as a team) at making a huge franchised game like Halo. Im hopeful for the future of Halo tbh. Sure they've made mistakes, but they've also managed to impress me more with this game than Bungie ever did on 360 with their passed three.

They've made mistakes, but i have no doubt that they will listen to the community, learn and help make 4 and future products that much better. The franchise is in good hands that i have no doubt. And if people like that who've apparently worked on something bigger than Halo (like it was nothing) don't wanna be a part of that, then good riddance is all i gotta say to that.

And normally I'd be fine with that, but I'd rather not buy a whole new console to see if the next one is good especially since their "first" game has completely soured me on a whole franchise. If Halo 5 were on the 360 (which it won't, 720's aren't going to just sell themselves with that casual stuff going on), I'd be willing to give it a chance. They haven't impressed me so far, especially with all this outsourcing business. There shouldn't have been any reason for it to happen with 4, and there sure as hell shouldn't be any reason for it to be happening with Halo 5 (since it hasn't been announced yet and they aren't under pressure to finish it by a certain date).

Though Halo 4 launch was a valuable lesson for me, never buying that pre-release hype again. It's taught me that either even the mightiest can fall/fail or I need to stop going on media blackouts for launches (I had seen barely any footage or info for H4 before launch, so needless to say I was surprised as fuck to discover ordnance).

heckfu

Banned

I know this forum is about to get into a lengthy discussion about the implications of ranks via boosters, etc, but I will never buy into that being too much of a direct impact.

I think I would personally have a lot more fun with this game (read: more. I already play this game every night) if they added them in-game. Something to work for, attain, strive for, whatever other than armor pieces is what makes me want to play better.

IHaveIce

Banned
On Waypoint there is another sneak peak for Silentium, everything sounds interesting but keeps confusing me.

Seems like they lift the secret of the Precursors? I would like to know more about the Primordial and the UrFlood than about the Precursors

And normally I'd be fine with that, but I'd rather not buy a whole new console to see if the next one is good especially since their "first" game has completely soured me on a whole franchise. If Halo 5 were on the 360 (which it won't, 720's aren't going to just sell themselves with that casual stuff going on), I'd be willing to give it a chance. They haven't impressed me so far, especially with all this outsourcing business. There shouldn't have been any reason for it to happen with 4, and there sure as hell shouldn't be any reason for it to be happening with Halo 5 (since it hasn't been announced yet and they aren't under pressure to finish it by a certain date).

Though Halo 4 launch was a valuable lesson for me, never buying that pre-release hype again. It's taught me that either even the mightiest can fall/fail or I need to stop going on media blackouts for launches (I had seen barely any footage or info for H4 before launch, so needless to say I was surprised as fuck to discover ordnance).

Didn't Bungie outsource shit for Halo3 and Reach? I remember their being a company in Montreal doing some shit for them on 3 and Certain affinity doing a lot of those dlc maps. Its no different and its certainly not an excuse. 343 have made Halo look absolutely amazing on 360, something Bungie imo could never do, they also completely outdid Bungie in the story telling department of the single player campaign. As for the MP, not liking ordinances is a matter of options. Bungie never sold me on their story telling (which to me was always very average and sometimes confusing) or their hand made character animations and graphics that never seemed to live up to expectations.

So you know what, pick your poison. I prefer having superior story telling and graphics right off the bat, and have 343 learn and listen to the community for the rest. The rest can be improved just by listening to what people want. You cant teach how to tell a story or make good graphics. You either have that or you dont and Bungie, unfortunately, did not have it when it comes to those (imo).

Gordon

Machine of Wahrer.
Worlhd of Wahrcraft

It would be easy enough to stop boosting, wouldn't just making players play with players with skill levels +/- 10 fix it. stop parties that exceed this limit from playing? Wouldn't that do the trick or am I not understanding how boosting worked.
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems at first. Mis-matched parties are going to want to play together. Personally I'd like to see a super-strict quitting rule that makes you wait for the game you quit to end. Might be annoying when everybody quits if one AFK/stubborn twit sticks around or something, but plenty of stuff is annoying regardless what you do, so you might as well do something that's going to get the job done.

Cow

I played Halo 3 yesterday although my skill in Team Slayer was only 38, and had 3 of the best games I've had for a long time. It was so much more exciting, everyone had mics in talking, much more fun than any game I've played on 4. It made me realise how much is wrong with Halo 4, how easy Halo 4 is. Will be playing more Halo 3 for now.

Why can't 343 just trial in game ranks for say a week or two in team throwdown?

Worlhd of Wahrcraft

Nothing is ever as simple as it seems at first. Mis-matched parties are going to want to play together. Personally I'd like to see a super-strict quitting rule that makes you wait for the game you quit to end. Might be annoying when everybody quits if one AFK/stubborn twit sticks around or something, but plenty of stuff is annoying regardless what you do, so you might as well do something that's going to get the job done.

Yeah, I suppose haha that was just something off the top of my head, I'm sure theres a lot of people who have put a lot more thought into this that myself. There has to be a solution though, really. I want to/hope to see Halo return to it's former competitiveness, with people actually needing to communicate.

m23

I would appreciate it if no one talks about Silentium unless they are spoiler tagged. Even if the excerpts are available, I'm waiting for the actual book to arrive. Thanks in advance.

Worlhd of Wahrcraft

It means "Wall-Builder" in German, you dope. Or more literally "truer." I guess my ancestors were Builders?

I'm on a creative kick with these SkullGaffers concepts and couldn't resist.

cTpu8rn.png

A mysterious enemy adorned in Kanye Shades and fairy wings, this fighter goes by the alias 'Kneel Diamond.' Using shattered compact discs as brass knuckles and kunai, his intentions are unknown.

Didn't Bungie outsource shit for Halo3 and Reach? I remember their being a company in Montreal doing some shit for them on 3 and Certain affinity doing a lot of those dlc maps. Its no different and its certainly not an excuse. 343 have made Halo look absolutely amazing on 360, something Bungie imo could never do, they also completely outdid Bungie in the story telling department of the single player campaign. As for the MP, not liking ordinances is a matter of options. Bungie never sold me on their story telling (which to me was always very average and sometimes confusing) or their hand made character animations and graphics that never seemed to live up to expectations.

So you know what, pick your poison. I prefer having superior story telling and graphics right off the bat, and have 343 learn and listen to the community for the rest. The rest can be improved just by listening to what people want. You cant teach how to tell a story or make good graphics. You either have that or you dont and Bungie, unfortunately, did not have it when it comes to those (imo).

Seeing how Halo got to where it was with its multiplayer, having "superior" storytelling is nearly inconsequential. And that's also a matter of opinion.

I played Halo 3 yesterday although my skill in Team Slayer was only 38, and had 3 of the best games I've had for a long time. It was so much more exciting, everyone had mics in talking, much more fun than any game I've played on 4. It made me realise how much is wrong with Halo 4, how easy Halo 4 is. Will be playing more Halo 3 for now.

Why can't 343 just trial in game ranks for say a week or two in team throwdown?

I had a huge smile on my face going back to Halo 3. Every time I play, I get new friend requests and invites to custom games.
Even with community aside, Halo 3 is a much better game.

Seeing how Halo got to where it was with its multiplayer, having "superior" storytelling is nearly inconsequential. And that's also a matter of opinion.

And like i said, mp options can eventually be added by listening to the community. How to tell stories and making the game look amazing requires a certain skill that cant be communicated through opinions on a forum.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I'm loving Action sack at the moment. Binary slayer is really fun with unlimited thrust and sword. Something like infinite thrust has been my fantasy since using evade in Reach Infection. Literally just kept tapping thrust and snaked all around two Binary users, got em both and thrusted away. And amazingly I've got the girlfriend playing fiesta. Certainly it's not a gametype to be taken seriously but it gives her the opportunity to play around with all the weapons. Plus having overshield speedboost is just insane. It's like infinity on steroids.

Ghazi

I think Bungie outsourced stuff only for Halo: Reach (which was after release afaik because CA only did the later map packs, not the base maps). Never did I complain about the campaign in my post, I think it's alright. Also, "OMG THE GRAPHIX ARE SO NICE!" aren't going to make people enjoy a game and keep them around for current MP & future releases, the game's structure ( i.e gameplay, maps, framework/options). MP got Halo where it is (as said earlier) and Bungie's story telling wasn't that bad. Ordnance imo is an issue but I referred to only myself in my post and my personal opinions but I wasn't referring only to it.

Top Bottom