• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
If they really wanna make a dent at e3 they should just have Cortana interrupt the briefing during some meaningless Kinect/PR stuff (after they do talk about the things they really wanted to talk about). Have a distress call or something outta nowhere which leads into a small trailer, and then boom stage demo. Everyone goes wild, MS acknowledges gamers haven't enjoyed the e3 Kinect stuff so they win points there also.

Would be cool, kind of like the Halo 2 demo where Sarge talked to the Bungie dude doing the demo.

Edit: I do miss the theatrics of E3 pressers. We need more of the above instead of "hey, here's this guy going to talk about this game." Make it exciting again!

If they really wanna make a dent at e3 they should just have Cortana interrupt the briefing during some meaningless Kinect/PR stuff (after they do talk about the things they really wanted to talk about). Have a distress call or something outta nowhere which leads into a small trailer, and then boom stage demo. Everyone goes wild, MS acknowledges gamers haven't enjoyed the e3 Kinect stuff so they win points there also.

Or a dude dressed as the Chief runs on stage, kicks the Kinect, then t-bags it.

Risen

COD is absolutely glorious as a full team. Having a constant Blackbird + chopper gunner + dogs running around on maps like like Summit or Jungle while forcing spawns was absolutely hysterical and super relaxing.

And you wonder how I have fun in MW3? I've taken to literally ONLY sniping or using a pistol just to spice it up... and still kids get run out while I laugh hysterically.

So pumped for E3, even though I'm almost on the other side of the world, and it falls right during exams. Still going to live stream it.

lol @ the 1-50 thing. Would it really matter if they brought it back under a different name though? (Like 1-30, 1-100, etc) I feel people are so tied to the whole name "One to Fifty" that they forget how it works, what it actually means, and the flaws it had.

I wrote up a bit of an analysis a while back, here, if you want to give it read. In essence, I think a 'combined' Ranking system that isolates skill and experience, portrayed independently, would be a strong system. Take for example each player who has played a certain amount of games will have a "Class" and a "Rank".
- Rank = Experience, a la Reach's cR, a progression system.
- Class = Skill, for example "Gold" may represent an equivalence to Halo 3's 30-40 range. This would be global, but only displayed in Competitive (or 'Ranked', in this sense) modes/playlists.
A representation example could be in a pre-game lobby, the logo to the left of your name, Rank [Private, Major, Captain, General,...]; the right, class [Bronze, Silver, Gold, Onyx, ...].

I can't see a flaw with such a system.

Arnie

I thought some of you guys would enjoy this from SamRambles:

Frankie's E3 Announcement

This is the greatest post on GAF ever. Ever.

The system has it's problems but it's infinitely better than having nothing at all.

So pumped for E3, even though I'm almost on the other side of the world, and it falls right during exams. Still going to live stream it.

lol @ the 1-50 thing. Would it really matter if they brought it back under a different name though? (Like 1-30, 1-100, etc) I feel people are so tied to the whole name "One to Fifty" that they forget how it works, what it actually means, and the flaws it had.

I wrote up a bit of an analysis a while back, here, if you want to give it read. In essence, I think a 'combined' Ranking system that isolates skill and experience, portrayed independently, would be a strong system. Take for example each player who has played a certain amount of games will have a "Class" and a "Rank".
- Rank = Experience, a la Reach's cR, a progression system.
- Class = Skill, for example "Gold" may represent an equivalence to Halo 3's 30-40 range. This would be global, but only displayed in Competitive (or 'Ranked', in this sense) modes/playlists.

I can't see a flaw with such a system.
You're underestimating the micro gains and losses in the previous system. Just knowing you're in gold isn't enough, it's the thought of playing games and seeing immediate quantifiable results.

If I could create the ranking system in Halo 4 I would do it like this.

EXP based military ranks, Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc.

Skill based 1-50 ranks like in Halo 3

Numbered ranks are obtained based on performance in ranked matches. EXP is unlocked by just playing, commendations, challenges, and that stuff.

Your military rank would always show in the lobby and stuff, and you could see someone's highest number rank by going to their GT. Although in ranked lobbies/matches the numbered rank would appear next to the military rank. One other addition I would have is giving the military ranks, grades based on the number rank.

So 1-9 would be grade 1, and you would get a bar underneath your military rank, 10-19 would be grade 2, and would add a second bar, 20-29 would be grade 3, and add a third bar, 30-39 would be grade 4 and would give you one gold bar under your military rank, and 40-50 would be grade 5 and would give you a gold bar with a star.

I think that be a great way to combine the ranks.

Would be cool, kind of like the Halo 2 demo where Sarge talked to the Bungie dude doing the demo.

Edit: I do miss the theatrics of E3 pressers. We need more of the above instead of "hey, here's this guy going to talk about this game." Make it exciting again!

Yup, it would be fun to have a little interaction like that, and I think the return of MC and Cortana in a new numbered Halo game is well worth it. Plus it would be a cool way to bring the game on stage us a 'surprise' since we know its going to be there.

That Walmart armor looks like a mini Big Daddy. So wild.

Gonna post it directly so more can see it:

yeOqB.jpg

Yeah, I like that armor.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Why is there underwater armour? I mean, canonically, these suits are stupid expensive to make and would be designed for a specific purpose. Under water?

I wonder if we'll see in-game shots of the preorder skins before launch. I imagine screenshots will look better than what we're seeing now...

The more skins/armor variants we see in these preorder pieces, the more convinced I become that they will all be unlockable in-game at some point. The preorder bonus is simply that you get them before anyone else can.

Kibbles

Any other Australians? EB is giving away double sided Halo 4 posters as a pre-order bonus.
http://www.ebgames.com.au/xbox360-157737-Halo-4-Limited-Edition-Xbox-360

However I think this means no skins.

Thanks to Hedgemony for the heads up
ffffffuuuuuuu I want this

I find the idea of a two-sided poster to be nearly offensive. I mean... what if I like both sides?

(I suppose you can tape it on a window...)
Tell them to give you two. Some may do it.

The more skins/armor variants we see in these preorder pieces, the more convinced I become that they will all be unlockable in-game at some point. The preorder bonus is simply that you get them before anyone else can.

I think the armor will be unlockable but probably not the skins. Not that it matters, I like most of the armors they've shown but the skins look like garbage.

You're underestimating the micro gains and losses in the previous system. Just knowing you're in gold isn't enough, it's the thought of playing games and seeing immediate quantifiable results.
I never said that you couldn't access a more precise quotient, in my suggestion (link) I said to push it to the service record or incorporate it much like [Spartan Points -> Rank], [Skill Points - > Class]. In Reach, cR was obviously only in the pause menu. The same could be applied to skill, without cluttering things up with numbers.
But I do like this idea:

If I could create the ranking system in Halo 4 I would do it like this.

EXP based military ranks, Private, Corporal, Sergeant, etc.

Skill based 1-50 ranks like in Halo 3

Numbered ranks are obtained based on performance in ranked matches. EXP is unlocked by just playing, commendations, challenges, and that stuff.

Your military rank would always show in the lobby and stuff, and you could see someone's highest number rank by going to their GT. Although in ranked lobbies/matches the numbered rank would appear next to the military rank. One other addition I would have is giving the military ranks, grades based on the number rank.

So 1-9 would be grade 1, and you would get a bar underneath your military rank, 10-19 would be grade 2, and would add a second bar, 20-29 would be grade 3, and add a third bar, 30-39 would be grade 4 and would give you one gold bar under your military rank, and 40-50 would be grade 5 and would give you a gold bar with a star.

I think that be a great way to combine the ranks.
Pretty much a more elaborate version of what I said, and I completely agree. If this was implemented in Halo 4, I would be very happy.

Ken

Why is there underwater armour? I mean, canonically, these suits are stupid expensive to make and would be designed for a specific purpose. Under water?

To fight the new enemies that sit in the water 20 feet from the shore, safely away from regular old Chief who drowns in any body of water deeper than 8 feet.

I'm sure canonically there is a point where they had underwater ops, and further Im sure suits like this would be designed/protyped as 'just in case' measures'.

Now I want to go underwater on Requiem.

I wonder if we'll see in-game shots of the preorder skins before launch. I imagine screenshots will look better than what we're seeing now...
Yup, I can't wait to see em in game.

Yeah, there are too many at this point to have em all locked out, I really hope they explain what the deal is soon.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Same reason why sea diving gear has them - structural support for the helmets to protect it from the pressure in the deep sea environment.

Yeah, but that far in the future you'd think they'd have better ways of doing this. Just looks odd to me to have a helmet from the 2500's look like a diving helmet from 1950. :p

Top Bottom