• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

CyReN

Why Halo Shouldn't Cater Solely to the Competitive Community by: Minolta1034

A pretty interesting take on this but overall good vid, I'm not going to lie the MLG/Competitive crowd does have a lot of request but the root of it is love for their game. We are not the all knowing and most popular. We just ask for features (ranks/spectator mode/game option toggles) to help enhance our community that doesn't effect casuals IMO. I could be wrong though. Trying to get him on to have a friendly debate on subjects.

TCKaos

Yup, it would be fun to have a little interaction like that, and I think the return of MC and Cortana in a new numbered Halo game is well worth it. Plus it would be a cool way to bring the game on stage us a 'surprise' since we know its going to be there.

Gonna post it directly so more can see it:

http://i.imgur.com/yeOqB.jpg[IMG]

Yeah, I like that armor.[/QUOTE]

Huh. That's not bad at all. Sort of reminds me of Security and Pilot.

It's got to be the visor.

So does this confirm that larger visors tend to look better than tiny little slit visors? Also my opinion is fact. olololol.

heckfu

Banned

A pretty interesting take on this but overall good vid, I'm not going to lie the MLG/Competitive crowd does have a lot of request but the root of it is love for their game. We are not the all knowing and most popular. We just ask for features (ranks/spectator mode/game option toggles) to help enhance our community that doesn't effect casuals IMO. I could be wrong though. Trying to get him on to have a friendly debate on subjects.
I'm excited to see the discussion this sparks. I'm mobile so I haven't seen the video so I haven't seen it, but I'm with you on your opinion.

He's generalizing and making alot of assumptions. I don't agree with most of what he's saying.

That's about it.

He's generalizing and making alot of assumptions. I don't agree with most of what he's saying.

That's about it.

Same, I actually raged a little, he doesn't realize that a large majority of the competitive community either moved to another game after Reach or just stopped playing in general for other reasons, and if Halo 4 ends up being a good competitive game, then it will most likely regain a larger competitive community.

He also doesnt realize, that it's the players who are really good at the game that see the flaws easiest because once we get into that high level of play, broken things are abused/exploited more rapidly and there is a lot more emphasis on what is actually going on, all the players have higher awareness.

For example, when I play with my more casual friends, they dont understand half the things I'm saying to them when I call out or time a weapon spawn or anything and that's fine because they're in their own little world just shooting away and having a blast when im trying to be competitive and I dont get mad at them, but the issue comes in when I want to have my version of fun and play a competitive match and things are just abused left and right for the sake of having a gimmick.

TL;DR: It's absolutely fine not to focus solely on the competitive community, but just don't completely slight them either. That is why we are so loud with this game, and it hasnt been an issue of casual vs competitive before, because this game didn't have a truly competitive offering period outside of MLG which is intimidating for a lot of players.

Arnie

Same, I actually raged a little, he doesn't realize that a large majority of the competitive community either moved to another game after Reach or just stopped playing in general for other reasons, and if Halo 4 ends up being a good competitive game, then it will most likely regain a larger competitive community.

He also doesnt realize, that it's the players who are really good at the game that see the flaws easiest because once we get into that high level of play, broken things are abused/exploited more rapidly and there is a lot more emphasis on what is actually going on, all the players have higher awareness.

For example, when I play with my more casual friends, they dont understand half the things I'm saying to them when I call out or time a weapon spawn or anything and that's fine because they're in their own little world just shooting away and having a blast when im trying to be competitive and I dont get mad at them, but the issue comes in when I want to have my version of fun and play a competitive match and things are just abused left and right for the sake of having a gimmick.

TL;DR: It's absolutely fine not to focus solely on the competitive community, but just don't completely slight them either. That is why we are so loud with this game, and it hasnt been an issue of casual vs competitive before, because this game didn't have a truly competitive offering period outside of MLG which is intimidating for a lot of players.

Great post.

Thought the video was a load of nonsense to be perfectly honest.

I've always thought that you can have a casual fun time out of a highly competitive ruleset, but you can't have a very competitive experience out of a casual one. When the mechanics and design cater to a higher skillgap then the competition is relative to the skill.

I mean look at Counter-Strike, it's been one of the most popular casual shooters for over a decade. It's highly competitive by nature, but how many people in random games are just derping around in de_dust 24 hours a day?

I consider myself very casual in how I play these games, but I still hope for the most competitive design approach to be imperative for multiplayer.

Arnie

Can't wait to get my mits on that BR.

Still crossing my fingers for a classic skin; said from the beginning that I don't like the way it looks now.

Can't wait to get my mits on that BR.

Still crossing my fingers for a classic skin; said from the beginning that I don't like the way it looks now.
I think it's the scope that makes me feel like it's boxy. Don't care for the orange stripes either but it seems like we got gun skins now so that doesn't matter.

Overdoziz

Banned
moar leakz

0UT13h.jpg

7EP0O.jpg

ZYgLDh.jpg

Yhrijh.jpg

Oy8Xxh.jpgg

N9jPeh.jpg

NVjQUh.jpg

MHDfRh.jpg

jwDKRh.jpg

7IagVh.jpg

s7f8vh.jpg

qxvyLh.jpg

UwgOTh.jpg

uVBc0h.jpg

xRndrh.jpg

cVjmth.jpg

j7TTeh.jpg

Arnie

I'm so excited for proper multiplayer footage.

It's no surprise that my unbridled optimism emerges on the day that Liverpool appoint a new manager.

Louis Wu

You're making the same sorts of generalizations (well, with different assumptions, of course) as he was.

What you call flaws, some people call benefits. The idea that awareness only comes with high skill is actually offensive. (It's a common assumption here - casuals are clueless. The concept that some people might ENJOY the parts of the game that drive you crazy is inconceivable, so you mark it down as "they have no idea what they're doing".)

I'm not defending the video - I think he's as myopic as you are, just with a different focus. I'm simply suggesting that there are more reasons than "casuals are too stupid to know what they shouldn't like" for why people play lists you hate.

Kibbles

^ I thought Call of Duty had some bullshit patent on it? Unless you mean 3rd person after-death cam like BF3, which is pretty lame. I'd rather have an actual killcam.
edit: Oh wow nevermind, I see the pic now, it is first person, sweet.

I hope we get full, direct feed multiplayer games like they did for Halo Anniversary.

Top Bottom