• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Falagard

odst was a good game but lousy characters. reach was a bad game with even worse characters. and what was with that bullshit that reach, the planet itself, would be like a character. the invasion of reach was pretty pathetic. makes you wonder how reach was q military planet

ODST's characters were great, IMHO. If Buck was any better, he'd be a spartan.

The Super Intendent AI was awesome. The audio clips were really cool, I enjoyed that meta-story.

Dare looked like an alien, but I didn't really mind the love story in the game. Out of all the Halos, the characters in ODST were believable and vulnerable. The Chieftan fight cut-scene was incredible.

Striker

Nothing about Reach's story and campaign really stand out as amazing to me.
I felt the same as H3 and ODST's stuff; none of the later Halo games had anything that stood out in terms of story or characters. Jorge was the closest type of character they could have had to flesh out and be interesting, but they killed him off half way through. Arby in 2 was the last truly great Halo character they've produced and wrote a half-way decent storyline for.

kylej

Banned
Really wish the Halo games had anything close to competent writing. Halo could be a great space opera, but its characters and scenes are always so sloppy and boring. There are never properly defined arcs; things come and go without any emotional weight attached. People die, places get destroyed, ho hum move on to the next scripted encounter. Who was that? What happened? Why did it happen? Who knows.

Would love to see a professional writer come in and handle the story one day.

Really wish the Halo games had anything close to competent writing. Halo could be a great space opera, but its characters and scenes are always so sloppy and boring. There are never properly defined arcs; things come and go without any emotional weight attached. People die, places get destroyed, ho hum move on to the next scripted encounter. Who was that? What happened? Why did it happen? Who knows.

Fuck me, a good post for once.

While i dont complete hate on halo and im pretty deeply interested into the lore, Alot of what you said is very true. Virtually none of the deaths have ever had a impact on me and their is a distinct feeling of looseness to the story telling.

343i seem heavily invested in Halo's future as a SP game and the Lore and universe hopefully H4 is a tighter more emotional story and all the stuff we have heard so far is true and not just PR BS

Karl2177

I felt the same as H3 and ODST's stuff; none of the later Halo games had anything that stood out in terms of story or characters. Jorge was the closest type of character they could have had to flesh out and be interesting, but they killed him off half way through. Arby in 2 was the last truly great Halo character they've produced and wrote a half-way decent storyline for.

At least there was some level of memorable dialogue in those two games. Reach had maybe two good lines and a lot of "It looks like some kind of... big pylon!"

Tunavi

Banned

you didn't like the plot of the latest installment of the franchise, Halo: Push Button?

So anyways, these were uploaded today, and while Im sure we have all seen em, its nice to finally have official versions:

dgL56.jpg

ukWqF.jpg

Im surprised Assassinations use knives as we dont see them on the Spartan models.. Also, thats the best look we have got yet at the new covie weapon, I guess its the Carbine.

Id be fine with it, logical character evolution. Guy was the best of the best why wouldnt the UNSC want him in the S4 program.

Any better and he would be a Spartan.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just finished talking to a friend who might be able to hook me up with a flight to PAX for 100$ or less. If it only costs me that much, I have no problem dropped the premium to buy a 3 day pass on Ebay or whatever. That would be so amazing!!!

HaloGAF Radio coming to a PAX near you. We'll all just get in 1 hotel room, get some booze, some microphones and bam, awesome sauce.

Too negative.

What is a Halo? I still don't know.

Halo has scripted encounters now?

Halo has always had these, just in a less traditional sense. They are now taking a slightly more cinematic approach (MC climbing elevator shaft) while still allowing you more control than a typical QTE. Im not opposed as long as they are reserved for more 'low action' moments to propel story, and less pull you out of action and and force something upon you.. Ultimately what they describes so far sounds really cool.

kylej

Banned
Halo has scripted encounters now?

Yes? If you want to come at it from the "oh man nothing plays the same way twice!" angle that's fine. Most Halo counters involve fighting the same 3 or 4 enemies with the same 3 or 4 weapons. They're in the exact same place, with the exact same amount of grunts and hammer monkeys, and the exact same set-pieces every time you play the game. Something like Left 4 Dead's director system would be a significant upgrade to the campaign.

Yes? If you want to come at it from the "oh man nothing plays the same way twice!" angle that's fine. Most Halo counters involve fighting the same 3 or 4 enemies with the same 3 or 4 weapons. They're in the exact same place, with the exact same amount of grunts and hammer monkeys, and the exact same set-pieces every time you play the game. Something like Left 4 Dead's director system would be a significant upgrade to the campaign.

Your on a role with smart posts now. (i like this kyle, can we keep him)

L4D style director would be great for Halo if it could build random groups to encounter at different set locations.

Obviously keep it within some sense of Hierarchy, "random leader unit + 1-3 random lieutenant tier + 3-7 random private tier" for example but varying encounters could add a tonne to halo

Ah. Didn't realize the battle in front of the Cartographer on The Ark has been repeated several times throughout all five games. Could've fooled me!

Every rule has exceptions his point remains valid.
No. Not really. He may have a point when it comes repeating elements across all Halo games – like the "storm the beach" scenario that shows up in 1 (The Silent Cartographer), 2 (Delta Halo), 3 (The Covenant), and Reach (The Long Night of Solace) – but overall? He's way off the mark.

kylej

Banned
Ah. Didn't realize the battle in front of the Cartographer on The Ark has been repeated several times throughout all five games. Could've fooled me!

First, I don't even know what you're talking about, I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point. Second, trying to use a single example as a counterpoint to a critique of repeated events across the entirety of the Halo franchise is farcical and pointless.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The real question is, why do Spartans need a knife when they can punch through a tank?

It's the number one rule of shooters:

Players think having an old/ancient weapon in a modern setting is badass.

Examples:Black Op's tomahawk and crossbow, Crysis 3's crossbow, Halo 3's katana armor

Overdoziz

Banned
Would be pretty cool if the game could cycle between a few different sets of enemies for each encounter. Keep things fresh and interesting.

No. Not really. He may have a point when it comes repeating elements across all Halo games – like the "storm the beach" scenario that shows up in 1 (The Silent Cartographer), 2 (Delta Halo), 3 (The Covenant), and Reach (The Long Night of Solace) – but overall? He's way off the mark.

His complaint was that the majority of halo encounters are always the same, your given a limited set of weapons and a limited consistent count of bad guys and given the illusion of freedom and varied encounters.

While the AI does some good job of changing up certain situations most of Halo is essentially, move to room x defeat group, more to room y defeat similar group.

The proposed Director varying up encounters both in enemy count and actually placement is a great idea.

Would be pretty cool if the game could cycle between a few different sets of enemies for each encounter. Keep things fresh and interesting.

This guy gets it.

I agree with kyle and over, this must be what Anakin felt like in RotS

First, I don't even know what you're talking about, I'm pretty sure you completely missed the point. Second, trying to use a single example as a counterpoint to a critique of repeated events across the entirety of the Halo franchise is farcical and pointless.
I didn't miss the point. Your post was so generalized and vague that I didn't even know where to begin, so I responded in a similar manner. Probably better if left alone.
most of Halo is essentially, move to room x defeat group, more to room y defeat similar group.
You can use this sentence to describe any game, really, and if you're going to go about this angle then there's no point in continuing this discussion.

.shin

Banned
Any idea when we can see these skins and avatar props? I remember that the PR for Reach's editions we got to see everything. I don't see why it would be a problem to show 4's.

I agree with kyle and over, this must be what Anakin felt like in RotS
And there goes me spitting out my beer. You bastard :)

Also, I definitely see Kyle's point. Each Halo encounter is still X enemies of this type, starting HERE, + x enemies of this type staring over HERE, with X more enemies of this type dropping in HERE after player reaches this trigger volume. It always starts the same, and provided the player gives the same inputs it will always play out the same. The larger the space and the more overlapping the enemy placements the more the battles can show their dynamism, but its a fair point most of the time. But its also a point that has more weight when leveled against every shooter out there not named Halo.

Give me a Halo director placing units and reinforcements, various AI leadership personalities that motivate their troops, and full control of loadouts/perks on mission replays and I'd think I've died and gone to shooter heaven.

Top Bottom