• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be interesting to play as an Elite during the Covenant formation period. Taking over the other species, etc. Or instead of FPS, another RTS that showcases all of that. Going through world by world, conquering and taking in the other species, ending with human contact at the end or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Damn you! :p

Anyways, after reading Ghosts of Onyx, there is something that is really bugging me regarding Spartan III's...

I just finished reading Ghosts of Onyx today, and i'm trying to get back into and catch up on all of the Halo lore. When reading about Spartan III's, I found out that Carter, Cat, Emile, Jun, and Noble 6 were all Spartan III's. That was something I did not realize before, and I find to be really cool.... minus one little error. Halsey knows every single Spartan II that she created. Halsey does not find out about Spartan III's until she lands on Onyx. So if Halsey does not know about Spartan III's until Onyx, and 5 out of 6 spartan's in noble squad were Spartan III's, why would she not question where they came from or how they were spartan's?

Reach retconned Halsey knowing about the Spartan III's earlier (ie, finding out about them in Reach) and one of the newer books makes mention of this earlier discovery.

So it's been changed.

Retro

It'd be interesting to play as an Elite during the Covenant formation period. Taking over the other species, etc.

Oooh, that could be interesting. Have a version of Spartan Ops ("Arbiter Ops", lulz) where instead of a single narrative told over a season, each episode is a chapter in the Covenant's lengthy history as seen from a multitude of elites who filled the role of Arbiter: "The Taming of the Hunters, the Grunt Rebellion. Were it not for the Arbiters, the Covenant would have broken long ago."

Could be a blast.

TCKaos

Damn you! :p

Anyways, after reading Ghosts of Onyx, there is something that is really bugging me regarding Spartan III's...

I just finished reading Ghosts of Onyx today, and i'm trying to get back into and catch up on all of the Halo lore. When reading about Spartan III's, I found out that Carter, Cat, Emile, Jun, and Noble 6 were all Spartan III's. That was something I did not realize before, and I find to be really cool.... minus one little error. Halsey knows every single Spartan II that she created. Halsey does not find out about Spartan III's until she lands on Onyx. So if Halsey does not know about Spartan III's until Onyx, and 5 out of 6 spartan's in noble squad were Spartan III's, why would she not question where they came from or how they were spartan's?

There's some hint that she knows what's up in First Strike.
I'm fairly certain that at one point she copies some files from Ackerson's computer/network/data-server-cloud-macguffin named things such as "S-III" and "KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN". It's possible that she saw those files before Noble Team met her at Sword Base, and was at the very least aware of their existence for a short while before meeting them.

blamite

Reach retconned Halsey knowing about the Spartan III's earlier (ie, finding out about them in Reach) and one of the newer books makes mention of this earlier discovery.

So it's been changed.

Her journal from the LE also mentions knowing of the IIIs' existence, but not of details like who was in charge of the program. I think.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Oooh, that could be interesting. Have a version of Spartan Ops ("Arbiter Ops", lulz) where instead of a single narrative told over a season, each episode is a chapter in the Covenant's lengthy history as seen from a multitude of elites who filled the role of Arbiter: "The Taming of the Hunters, the Grunt Rebellion. Were it not for the Arbiters, the Covenant would have broken long ago."

Could be a blast.

Kkijcv.jpg

Ok one thing has been REALLY bugging me.

I want an explanation.

Are these Prometheans, or are they Promethean Machines, Promethean AI, etc etc.

Because in all the media released, 343 can't seem to decide.

In cryptum, Prometheans are very few. It's a rank among the warrior-servants reserved only for the most powerful ones. The didact, for example, is a Promethean. It feels a little cheap to call these guys prometheans.
The game is not out yet. Maybe there is a secret behind them?

Retro

Fan Art-biter is not amused...

Come on though, tell me with a straight face that putting down an entire army of cowardly, rebellious Grunts wouldn't be amazing (not to mention hilarious).

senador

Banned
Treyarch wants Halo 4 to succeed. Apparently devs aren't haters. http://www.3news.co.nz/Treyarch-Bla...alo-4/tabid/418/articleID/258591/Default.aspx

Daniel Suarez said:
“I really want everybody’s game to succeed, you know. The more types of games that succeed, the better it is for our business overall.”

This seems to be the general consensus between developers. Different story for publishers, but developers all seem pretty fair and want to try each others games. Maybe BF3 vs CoD is the exception, but that seems to be more EA than DICE.

Good games everybody. I will never forgive any of you for what happened in the Griffball playlist.

What in the actual fuck?
Not-too-spoilery stuff about Prometheus:
The movie never got me to care about any of the characters, the horror scenes weren't scary, there was very little suspense, the action was lackluster, I never felt like the stakes were very high (even though, based on the threat, they were), and at no point did I really get the feeling that I was watching a worthy follow-up/prequel to Alien.

AVP was a B movie trying to do B movie things, and it succeeded. Prometheus was trying to be an A movie while also building a grander universe around the Alien story and, from my perspective, it failed utterly. Effects were great but everything else was not (and that includes the design of the monsters). Ignoring any plot hole issues: the writing was not good. Editing was flat out bad at times (which is part of the pacing issue that the movie has), and none of the performances were particularly good aside from Idris Elba who actually felt like he was in Alien and/or Aliens.
Prometheus was a movie I wanted to like but having seen it, I cannot.
Aliens>Alien>Predator>Predator 2>AVP>Prometheus>all other alien/predator movies.

Korosenai

There's some hint that she knows what's up in First Strike.
I'm fairly certain that at one point she copies some files from Ackerson's computer/network/data-server-cloud-macguffin named things such as "S-III" and "KING UNDER THE MOUNTAIN". It's possible that she saw those files before Noble Team met her at Sword Base, and was at the very least aware of their existence for a short while before meeting them.

Doesn't First Strike take place after Halo 1 though? (I haven't read it yet. Only Halo books i've read are Fall of Reach and Ghosts of Onyx. Currently reading Glasslands.)

Tawpgun

It was my understanding that she thought they were the next generation of II's on Reach. Then in Ghosts of Onyx she's like wat.

senador

Banned

Fracas

#fuckonami
Remember how you should have used a spreadsheet? ;)

Good work. When's the tournament?

Sounds good, are there any concrete dates? I may have missed those posts.

Dates are unfortunately TBD. Here is the schedule for now.

-Tomorrow, I will rank each player from 1-66 (we have 66 entrants)
-I will select team captains and notify them
-Each team captain can pick 1 player of their choosing
-The other 2 slots will be filled by me, with fairness in mind

This way, everyone gets someone on their team that they are familiar with/like playing with, and a competitive and fair environment persists.

We do have 1 problem though. As I said, we have 66 entrants. A multiple of 4 is what we need. There's a few people on that list that I think were just lurkers, and won't actually go through with it. We'll see

Ryaaan14

Banned
Hi HaloGAF.

Been busy as hell, but listened to the Sparkast yesterday and was amused.

No more Halo related info to share though.

Love you bye.

zlsOk.gif

Not-too-spoilery stuff about Prometheus:
The movie never got me to care about any of the characters, the horror scenes weren't scary, there was very little suspense, the action was lackluster, I never felt like the stakes were very high (even though, based on the threat, they were), and at no point did I really get the feeling that I was watching a worthy follow-up/prequel to Alien.

AVP was a B movie trying to do B movie things, and it succeeded. Prometheus was trying to be an A movie while also building a grander universe around the Alien story and, from my perspective, it failed utterly. Effects were great but everything else was not (and that includes the design of the monsters). Ignoring any plot hole issues: the writing was not good. Editing was flat out bad at times (which is part of the pacing issue that the movie has), and none of the performances were particularly good aside from Idris Elba who actually felt like he was in Alien and/or Aliens.
Prometheus was a movie I wanted to like but having seen it, I cannot.
Aliens>Alien>Predator>Predator 2>AVP>Prometheus>all other alien/predator movies.

Don't want to derail into a Prometheus discussion, but I just want to state a few things:
-I made the post not because I thought that Prometheus was a terrific film, but AVP is a straight shit film from any way you look at it.
-Idris Elba the only good performance? Michael Fassbender absolutely steals the film. His character was without a doubt my favorite part of the film.
-I understand and agree with the common criticisms (in part) of Prometheus, but I hate the direct comparisons to Alien/it didn't feel like Alien or Aliens. There is a reason it isn't called Alien 0. Yes it has some tie-ins, is in the same universe, but its a significantly different style of a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom