• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Striker

I'm gonna miss it too, but actual weapon design looked awful to me. Looked like a walrus mustache or something. I guess aesthetics alone are enough to turn me away from a weapon, even if its function works pretty damn well. Plasma launcher was pretty key, nobody I played with ever used it though.
It's used in all maps it's on (same thing with the Grenade Launcher). Thing is, it's not on many maps. Hemorrhage is its most popular map for it, and there's always people gunning for it to take out Wraiths and Warthogs. It is in Abridged as well and works pretty nice there. Basically, it is placed on maps where vehicles are vital and works intended. It got nerfed from the beta which was good, since it locked on too strong for infantry. It is still a viable weapon for infantry if your shot is off fast enough.

Your first part of your post reminds me of how people were upset of the Needle Rifle being a primary weapon in Reach's Team Classic playlist because it was "that pink gun." People need slapped.

also, plasma launcher >>> splazer.
Say this until your face turns blue, nothing changes. The fact that they think the Laser and Fuel Rod Gun is better for vehicle combat speaks hard on how strong certain ones can, and probably will be. (hi, Banshee)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'm gonna miss it too, but actual weapon design looked awful to me. Looked like a walrus mustache or something. I guess aesthetics alone are enough to turn me away from a weapon, even if its function works pretty damn well. Plasma launcher was pretty key, nobody I played with ever used it though.

heh. i just feel there is nothing to set the carbine apart. its always been very blah to me, even if i found it a very useful weapon.

Your first part of your post reminds me of how people were upset of the Needle Rifle being a primary weapon in Reach's Team Classic playlist because it was "that pink gun." People need slapped.

Well thats just like, my opinion, man. You go ahead and shoot a pink walrus mustache penis gun and feel good about it. I'll stick with the dmr in reach. Aesthetics were of utmost importance in Ancient Greece, and those dudes were pretty badass.

We get 10 maps and 3 forge environments, right?

1. Haven
2. Adrift
3. Longbow
4. Exile
10. (Remake map)

1. Forge environment from RTX demo.
2. Forge environment containing the Grifball court. (Assuming it's a different level.)

I hope we'll see a new map at NYCC in three weeks. I never got to try Longbow during PAX, although I really enjoyed all the other maps.

I think it was confirmed that the Grifball area is it's own space - and not a Forge or map variant. (No source on that, I just think I remember that being said at some point).

DesertFox

Well thats just like, my opinion, man. You go ahead and shoot a pink walrus mustache penis gun and feel good about it. I'll stick with the dmr in reach. Aesthetics were of utmost importance in Ancient Greece, and those dudes were pretty badass.

Uhm... I think you're reaching a little bit too far with that description.

1CNym.jpg

Nothing about the map was said. Griffball has its own space in the menu.

From the Sep 6th Bulletin:

Was the entire Grifball arena built in Forge or is it one of the 3 Forge pallets? -N Y K R Y L L

Grifball, regardless of “where” it lives, was created independently and specifically as its own thing. The environment is somewhat moot. Frankly, it had WAY too much time and effort poured into it, but we loved it.

I take that to mean it's not a Forge map, and, rather, it's own space specific for the mode. I guess that's not exactly cut and dry, though.

--

It's a forge map.

Ok.

I thought this weapon was going to be my favorite when Reach came out.
didn't work out that way...

0.jpg

Uhm... I think you're reaching a little bit too far with that description.

1CNym.jpg

Sorry, I'm in a very Freudian mood today. Sometimes a needle rifle is just a needle rifle. I think the carbine and light rifle more than make up for it though and they look cool so I'm happy.

I was gonna post a gif, but I'm typing this from my xbox.

Yeah, think I'll stick to the PC for browsing.

Thedudedoingsomethingcool.gif I hope

I was gonna post a gif, but I'm typing this from my xbox.

Yeah, think I'll stick to the PC for browsing.

DesertFox

Sorry, I'm in a very Freudian mood today. Sometimes a needle rifle is just a needle rifle. I think the carbine and light rifle more than make up for it though and they look cool so I'm happy.

Yep - Halo 4 is definitely not lacking in terms of diverse weapon set. I just wish (even if they did a complete redesign of the needle rifle's look) that they would have kept the headshot-capable supercombine rifle in the game.

It took the guys who did it about an hour or so and they did it in their downtime post-crunch. It didn't detract from any actual work on the project because their portion had already locked.

But go right ahead, keep complaining.

I have to stick to my strengths.

I can't get mad at you and Frankie because you all are too charismatic.

Nothing about the map was said. Griffball has its own space in the menu.

Actually there was something said about the map. You can hear it better in the full panel video, but the on at IGN where it was cut to just the Griffball segment they say this:

... big world outside in addition to this empty...

I'm assuming it is actually "There's a big world outside in addition to this empty space". And in the full panel vid I'm sure they say it is a forge map, but that is more than likely wrong.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/01/grifball-on-forge-halo-4-panel-demo-pax-2012

I didn't mean to say that in a pessimistic/matter-of-fact tone, not sure how it came across on the internet.

During the panel, Kevin said something like "There's a whole world out there", pretty heavily implying it was built/part of a forge canvas.

Nah, man, I didn't take it that way. I just realized it's a silly thing to even discuss. I trust you guys to be crazier than I am when it comes to Halo info, hence the "ok" ;)

Should I buy Borderlands 2 this weekend? I loved the first one but i'm not sure about this one. Could it hold me out for 48 days until Halo 4 comes out?

I played the first one and all the expansions too, I will buy it when the GOTY edition is announced or buy it when the game become cheaper in like 1 month. coop is still simple and not very rewarding like the first one and enemies still not rescaled their lvl when you become overpowered with weapons unless they released another expansion like they did with Claptrap Expansion. It will keep you busy for 3 weeks maybe.

I played the first one and all the expansions too, I will buy it when the GOTY edition is announced or buy it when the game become cheaper in like 1 month.

I bought it for $36 for PC. $22.50 for the season pass. GOTY edition, basically. (Green Man Gaming sale)

Played the game for about 3 hours last night. It's VERY good. VERY VERY good. Probably the best game I've played so far this year. (With the caveat that it's not nearly as fun without friends)

Pennybags

Anyone remember how some people thought the Needle Rifle would be some kind of anti-tank monster needler?

That initial Reach leak was so crazy.

Watching sports is boring. Even though I suck at athletics playing is the only way to go.

(Feel the same way about Halo.)

With you on that one. Televised sports are lame.

Although I do enjoy some Halo montages. Usually the ones where goofy crap happens though. I could care less about no-scope after no-scope. So. Boring.

Fuchsdh

With you on that one. Televised sports are lame.

Although I do enjoy some Halo montages. Usually the ones where goofy crap happens though. I could care less about no-scope after no-scope. So. Boring.
Yeah at least a (good) montage is concentrated cool in just a few minutes.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone remember how some people thought the Needle Rifle would be some kind of anti-tank monster needler?

That initial Reach leak was so crazy.

The irony is that the DMR can flip vehicles, making it kind of an anti-tank monster... needler... (didn't someone compare the DMR to needle while the BR was something else?)

I think that initial Reach leak was when i first learned of GAF, someone somewhere linked to that NeoGAF post. Tom Morello lol.

These Storm Covies Elites aren't stealthy like in previous games. I had expectations that they'd be camouflaged in corridor, heavy jungle, forerunner structure levels but Frankie said they're more "Tactical". Interesting. Assuming by E3 trailer and Part 2 ViDoc Prometheans have taken that advantage (Cutscenes) but not ruling out that we won't see any active camo enemy A.I.

Kuroyume

Banned
Needle Rifle is great. Essentially a DMR with super combine and even auto fire (although I prefer to shoot manual.) Prefer it over carbin because I like the feel of it and super combine is nice.

Top Bottom