• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Wait, are you serious?

image.php

Via theory crafting Valhalla does seem like a bad idea with the DMR, but I took some time to think about it again. Long range weapons promote more strafing and maintaining the encounter range rather than rushing forward. The DMR may actually promote more use of the sides of the map forcing a better dispersal of combat around the map. And with weapon ordnance it can only get better than H3. In the end theorycrafting will only get you so far and actually playing will tell you more than anything. Even just observation of footage can only go so far.

Just when I had given up hope for you, you gained a little respect with this post...

Regardless, Ragnarok is an awesome name. I love Norse mythology... I'm one of the few that enjoyed Too Human. lol...

...AAAAAND IT'S GONE!

Fracas

#fuckonami
Well, it's actually probably just one skin. The under-armor is probably different colors for the Alpha/Normal Flood.

Flood skin and their sword spike thingy is what I was referring to.

Wonder if the sword icon when using it is intentional, or it was just a placeholder. Doesn't really matter though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like something outta Lord of the Rings.
It is set in the same universe as Halo, after all.

Wonder if the sword icon when using it is intentional, or it was just a placeholder. Doesn't really matter though.
Realizing you're just holding a scabby looking sword kind of ruins the effect of being a scary ass Flood dude. Too bad they didn't / couldn't hide the icon.

Vire

Hyper, quick question - I was wondering if you could tell us how much was shown of the 3rd Mission with Frank today? Was there much more after they cut away?

Did they clip out the beginning?

Wait, are you serious?
Should we be surprised at this point?
Sorry that I don't know about gods/mythology in a Halo thread.

Mjolnir, Gungnir, Loki, Jotun, Sif, Valhalla, Utgard, Fenris, Vigrond, Hrunting, Ragnarok, etc.

Not to mention the Brutes are basically practitioners of beserking.

Yup, I see no reason why Norse mythology (not to mention the Bible and other religious texts and mythology) would be applicable to this thread at all.

I watched DBZ, probably why I love fighting so much...

Lies. They only stood around and screamed on that show.

Ragnarok is an event. Maps are usually named as a place Ex: Valhalla, Beaver Creek or an action the map causes ex: Lockout, Standoff. I get they are sticking with the Norse mythology theme when naming that one but it doesnt really work too well in that regard...

I dunno.

Tawpgun

Should we be surprised at this point?

Mjolnir, Gungnir, Loki, Jotun, Sif, Valhalla, Utgard, Fenris, Vigrond, Hrunting, Ragnarok, etc.

Not to mention the Brutes are basically practitioners of beserking.

Yup, I see no reason why Norse mythology (not to mention the Bible and other religious texts and mythology) would be applicable to this thread at all.

I'm pretty sure Cortana is norse also.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Late to the party I know, but that Campaign footage that Frankie demoed looked like it was constantly having frame rate issues.

That's not good.

Louis Wu

Today is a great day to celebrate as I have finally hit my 4K assassination mark in matchmaking getting me Onyx in the Rear Admiral commendation (I know... nobody cares :p). I saved the clip and below are some fun facts. :)

Onyx_Rear_Admiral.png;cid=1337392087938-923

Kills-to-Deaths Ratio [K/D]: 1.12998 K/D (17,638 Kills / 15,609 Deaths)
Wow. I have three times as many kills as you do in MP... and 1/20th the number of assassinations. :)

We have different playstyles, you and I. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I hear streaming at 20fps isn't that good either.

Yeah, but how does a 20fps stream cause a noticeable drop during gameplay? You can see it drop then go back up, then drop again several times.

We heard something similar with Halo Reach regarding frame drops, and we know now (after the fact) that the drops were very, very real.

DeadNames

Banned
I wonder how the Mammoth will be used. Map specific like the Elephant?

The maps we have now are huge, but not open enough for the Elephant to be implemented.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Yeah, but how does a 20fps stream cause a noticeable drop during gameplay? You can see it drop then go back up, then drop again several times.

We heard something similar with Halo Reach regarding frame drops, and we know now (after the fact) that the drops were very, very real.

Look, you're welcome to form your own conclusions. You're a grown man. I'm just telling you that the framerate present in that video is not representative of that mission on any of the dozens of times I've played it.

Someone should check out Frank's gameplay performance cause I was seeing frame skips during the Q&A.

Wow. I have three times as many kills as you do in MP... and 1/20th the number of assassinations. :)

We have different playstyles, you and I. ;)

lol... I'm sure we do. Isn't that what Reach and H4 are all about? Playing your way? Can't wait to use Camo/AA Efficiency/Sensor and then Camo/AA Eficiency/Stealth when I level Waterworks... I mean Wetworks. Oh the fun... :)

David Ellis direct feed playthrough incoming? :p

Turrets incoming. My body is ready...

I'm pretty sure Cortana is norse also.

Hmmm...

From wiki: 'Curtana was also, according to legend, the sword of Ogier the Dane; it bore the inscription "My name is Cortana, of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durendal." It is supposed to have originally been Tristan's sword, and gained the name "Cortana" when it was "cut down" to fit Ogier.'

Ragnarok is an event. Maps are usually named as a place Ex: Valhalla, Beaver Creek or an action the map causes ex: Lockout, Standoff. I get they are sticking with the Norse mythology theme when naming that one but it doesnt really work too well in that regard...

I dunno.

Countdown=event. Coagulation=event. Zealot=person.

You're being too picky, bruh.

Bsigg12

I wonder how the Mammoth will be used. Map specific like the Elephant?

The maps we have now are huge, but not open enough for the Elephant to be implemented.

Every multiplayer match takes place inside an elephant as it drives around Requiem. Just saying, constant training is a beast.

But in all seriousness, I think we'll only see it utilized on the 3 forge environments since they sound large enough to actually make the thing viable.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Look, you're welcome to form your own conclusions. You're a grown man. I'm just telling you that the framerate present in that video is not representative of that mission on any of the dozens of times I've played it.

Someone should check out Frank's gameplay performance cause I was seeing frame skips during the Q&A.

i would be skipping frames too if someone asked me about recon

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Well, that's good to hear, although you're not saying there aren't frame drops during gameplay either.

All I can do is make deductions based on what I'm seeing and what we know to have happened before. What I saw didn't seem like a 20fps stream as much as a frame rate that was bouncing around during gameplay. Then, like I said before (kind of like with other things) we've heard 'this song and dance' before (about more things than just this).

At this point it's better to expect frame drops, and some pretty severe ones while hoping that we are wrong.

Of course, if you could say "there are no severe frame drops" that would fix everything, but I doubt you would say that, nor could you.

Also, there's first hand experience from HaloGAF that Spartan ops has frame drops, so from that we can most definitely assume campaign will be rife with them .

Still getting the game day 1 mind you, I love me some Halo. I just really am not a fan of frame drops (especially "glacier" type drops). ;)

DeadNames

Banned
From wiki: 'Curtana was also, according to legend, the sword of Ogier the Dane; it bore the inscription "My name is Cortana, of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durendal." It is supposed to have originally been Tristan's sword, and gained the name "Cortana" when it was "cut down" to fit

"I am your sword, I am your shield".

What a trailer.

All else being equal, if you project at a certain framerate - say, 24 FPS - and record it at 12 FPS, your video is going to look slower. If you project at 24 FPS but record it at 30 FPS, the video is going to look faster.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
All else being equal, if you project at a certain framerate - say, 24 FPS - and record it at 12 FPS, your video is going to look slower. If you project at 24 FPS but record it at 30 FPS, the video is going to look faster.

Yeah, I know, that's my point. "All things being equal" that framerate would still be "steady" even at the "faster/slower" appearance.

I took "Intro to film" too.

Remember though, the E3 Spartan Ops build is terribly old. Nobody except the press and 343 have played ANY finished/polished builds of Spartan Ops yet.

True, but that's only a "piece' of the puzzle.

Lets be honest here, do you really expect this game to have no severe drops, looking the way it does?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Also, there's first hand experience from HaloGAF that Spartan ops has frame drops, so from that we can most definitely assume campaign will be rife with them .

Remember though, the E3 Spartan Ops build is terribly old. Nobody except the press and 343 have played ANY finished/polished builds of Spartan Ops yet.

Gui_PT

What he's saying is - and I'm not defending him because I didn't pay attention to it in the video - that there are framedrops, the framerate isn't constant.

Yeah, I know, that's my point. "All things being equal" that framerate would still be "steady" even at the "faster/slower" appearance.

Oh, well, excuse me. I said "all things being equal" as a baseline. You gotta consider other stuff like stream quality too. One of many factors that could be at play.

Bsigg12

What do you expect on 512mb of RAM and 7-8 year old hardware? If this was a PC game it would be blowing everything thing else out of the water because what they have achieved on the limited resources they have on a 360 are astounding.

This is essentially a send off for the 360. It shows that the console has aged and Microsoft has done a tremendous job at getting it to last this long. I'm not trying to join team SLRP here but seriously, with what they were given, 343 has done an outstanding job with the visuals and gameplay from what I've seen.

Top of page, lets start this off right

best-reaction.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
True but those events aren't specific they can occur at anytime, Ragnarok is a specific event.

I'm just saying Elysium Fields would have been a better name.
I think just 'Elysium' would have been awesome. I'm okay with Ragnarok, though.

From wiki: 'Curtana was also, according to legend, the sword of Ogier the Dane; it bore the inscription "My name is Cortana, of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durendal." It is supposed to have originally been Tristan's sword, and gained the name "Cortana" when it was "cut down" to fit Ogier.'

"I am your sword, I am your shield".

What a trailer.

I love when stuff you didn't realize or miss at the time gets stored away in your memory only to be unlocked later :eek:

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If you watch the QA portion it's pretty apparent that there's stuff going on in the video that isn't apparent in real life.

Frank stutters, has aliasing and dithering.

Although, I've never met Frankie in real life so maybe he does these things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JylkzGSfnn4

Didn't have time to watch the whole thing, if that's the case, that's good news.

Oh, well, excuse me, Mr. Expert. I said "all things being equal" as a baseline. You gotta consider the stream quality too.

Lol, u mad.

Go read a star trek fanfic or something.

Edit: Lol, caught you before your edit. Simmah down brah.

What do you expect on 512mb of RAM and 7-8 year old hardware? If this was a PC game it would be blowing everything thing else out of the water because what they have achieved on the limited resources they have on a 360 are astounding.

This is essentially a send off for the 360. It shows that the console has aged and Microsoft has done a tremendous job at getting it to last this long. I'm not trying to join team SLRP here but seriously, with what they were given, 343 has done an outstanding job with the visuals and gameplay from what I've seen.

I would expect the game to be scaled back to avoid those issues. Is that asking too much?

Top Bottom