• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Oozer3993

...okay?

Has Halo 4 been released in the hour and a half I've been in class?

One of us is wrong here, but there's no way you could do that. Maybe a stray bullet, but no more. They're too far apart, the bases are too cramped, and the BR had spread.

It was absolutely possible to hit people in the base from the hill. At least lake base. I did it regularly to keep snipers at bay and to distract defenders so a team mate could grab the flag.

i've been a rear admiral for years bro

good job. rear admiral is the only commendation i've actually cared to get to onyx, but it's not happening before H4

marina_laugh.gif

lol, thanks Sai. I enjoy personal achievements. Like when Reach came out I wanted to hit Captain without playing firefight, campaign, or matchmaking... strictly forge and customs. Needless to say I didn't play matchmaking until like March of last year. So like 6ish months of customs and forge only. lol... my whole playstyle revolves around reading people, misdirecting them, and firing my weapons as infrequently as possible. :) And I try to avoid double pummels as well. Loads of fun.

Btw the camo powerup in the Anniversary Classic playlist is INSANE... like 7-9 Assassinations in a game. lol... love it.

FyreWulff

was 5 any good? I opted to play UMvC 3 and street fighter over it

Haven't played it. I played the shit out of 2 on GameCube and went straight to 4 on 360 which I liked, 5 didn't really seem to offer much and I was disinterested in buying it after I found out how rushed it was to market.

From what I heard it's basically SC4++. I'll pick up the inevitable Soul Calibur 6 with Link.

edit: it does have a MASSIVELY expanded and much more powerful custom character creator though, over 4's "lol you get to change some armor"

edit2: gaf's SC5 character thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461832

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
What I mostly hate about killcams (in COD) is that they show a different story to what I saw happening in realtime, like me shooting just once before dying like a moron when I'm pretty sure I hit the guy like 4 times at least, and that pisses me off everytime. From the reports it seems it's like that too in Halo 4.

Where's this Frankie demo you're all talking about.

Frankie Demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JylkzGSfnn4&feature=player_embedded

Check the comments for when the game play starts.

Or watch Frankie blow your mind with his master of the language of seduction... which is apparently English.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah.. I was shocked to see no footage of people jumping off ledges and Thrusting to other levels of the map (ie: jumping off top Haven to thrust back to safety underneath).

Cray.
Damnnn, seems like that could actually work. Would be awesome to pull off consistently.

Grr, 343, why did I end up playing Infinity Slayer on Haven at the Eurogamer Expo? It was fun, but not as fun as CTF on Valhalla would have been, vehicles and all, with a map that we haven't seen a billion times before.

Can't believe I'm complaining. It was fun. More fun than Reach.

Haven't played it. I played the shit out of 2 on GameCube and went straight to 4 on 360 which I liked, 5 didn't really seem to offer much and I was disinterested in buying it after I found out how rushed it was to market.

From what I heard it's basically SC4++. I'll pick up the inevitable Soul Calibur 6 with Link.

edit: it does have a MASSIVELY expanded and much more powerful custom character creator though, over 4's "lol you get to change some armor"

Played 2 on xbox, and went to 4. then got hooked on SF and MvC3

Karl2177

It was absolutely possible to hit people in the base from the hill. At least lake base. I did it regularly to keep snipers at bay and to distract defenders so a team mate could grab the flag.
Yep. In theory you could kill someone from the hill in the base even with the spread. It was also a perfect way to knock the snipers out of scope.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I dont think thats going to be a problem you can probably just pres B to skip the killcam and go straight to your dead body/teammate.

I don't know what makes you say probably. That would be nice but I'm going to stay worried until I get absolute confirmation.

And Gratz to Bravo and U4ix for commentating Dallas. Knock em dead.

Striker

Valhalla was already ruined with BR starts. Just learn to reflexively veto it away like Uncaged after everyone figures out to select their DMR / BR loadout when it comes up.
It needed those rifle starts since it was built the way it was. An AR user couldn't traverse one side to another safely without getting shot, or killed. No safe haven like the teleporter bridge or tunnels in Waterworks. Open plains on the bubble shield side or dip yourself into the middle.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you shoot people the couple times we've played. That puts you streets ahead of that guy. Just a little more aware during OBJ and slightly less wasted in general and we're ok.

lmfao Yeah after that one game you were trying to sneakily put the blame on me, I decided to BEASTMODE a couple games and do the whole "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!" Gladiator shit to prove it <3

OH and for that Swordbase OB game you're talking about, I was using the radar jammer for the team as the Camo guy the. entire. time. I was doing my part ;'[

I just don't rage when I lose like some of YOU nerds! That being said, getting on now and I promise to at least shoot people with you :]

Cant wait for this.

RIP Halo.

Out of curiosity, shouldn't Halo have RIP'd to you like 8 years ago?

Quick question for anyone in the new Xbox Dashboard Beta

Does this shit go completely slow for anyone else? I'm thinking it's either that this is sluggish at times or my 360 is hitting that age..

v Everything that takes loading so anything from the dashboard first loading to apps loading, etc.

DeadNames

Banned
Oh man, when Frankie shoots those fusion coils...

The frames...

Unknown, what do you mean by slow? Like connection? Or the dashboard itself?

FyreWulff

It needed those rifle starts since it was built the way it was. An AR user couldn't traverse one side to another safely without getting shot, or killed. No safe haven like the teleporter bridge or tunnels in Waterworks. Open plains on the bubble shield side or dip yourself into the middle.

The map's apparent design is 3 gates. Pelican side of the hill, the hill itself, and the forerunner wall plain.

The issue is a few months into H3 BTB's objective run, they just slapped BR starts into all of it. Before, to be a good team you had to pick which two gates you were going to defend and either thin your defends on one to cover the third or patrol the remaining two gates. You could use misdirection to kite a team to one side of Valhalla, then push a rush team through the other side and punish for the team being stupid enough to break their ranks. They had limited BR ammo so they had to pick and choose which rush teams to engage and let their base players deal with it.

Giving everyone a BR in objective destroyed the gating and all you needed to do was stay on top of the middle hill. Every time you killed people, they dropped BRs and gave you more ammo to stay on top of the hill. Then new BRs respawned on the hill itself.

Objective went from rewarding planning and cleverness to teams just trying to rush through the wall of bullets since you no longer had to care about your ammo supply while holding middle hill, there was never a reason to leave middle hill and push into the other side of the map and run out of your BR ammo. Then every 2 minutes, you got rewarded with a bonus laser. Shit was decided in the opening exchange a lot of the time.

Map was way too open to deal with the 100% BR start change. Now people will be able to start with a DMR, won't be knocked out of scope on the hill, and get a laser.

Valhalla breaks the following rules:

* If BR start, the BR's sightlines must be controlled (Valhalla only controls base to base sightlines, but not much else)
* Don't put precision weapons on the upper vertical parts of the map (in this case, the middle hill)
* Have weapon loops (Valhalla has none)

and was never changed or Forged to accomodate the 100% BR start change.

GhaleonEB

I've played AR starts on Valhalla. It's terrible. The map played very well with BR starts, as the effective range of that weapon worked well with the sight lines and distances between key control points. Not long enough to connect base to hill, or hill to sides. Any longer would have created stalemates, and much shorter (AR starts) becomes comic.

Hm. Looks like I need to get some more games in on that map (hint, hint, Elzar and crew). I don't remember it being too effective, though. You weren't really in too much danger. BRs were mild threat at that range &#8211; it seems to me DMRs would be lethal.

Vire

I've played AR starts on Valhalla. It's terrible. The map played very well with BR starts, as the effective range of that weapon worked well with the sight lines and distances between key control points. Not long enough to connect base to hill, or hill to sides. Any longer would have created stalemates, and much shorter (AR starts) becomes comic.

This man speaks the truth.

AR starts with the Gametype VIP on Valhalla makes me want to kill myself.

FyreWulff is on crack.

wwm0nkey

Does this shit go completely slow for anyone else? I'm thinking it's either that this is sluggish at times or my 360 is hitting that age..

v Everything that takes loading so anything from the dashboard first loading to apps loading, etc.
Reformat your HDD, worked wonders for me.

FyreWulff

Uh, the BR could easily hit hill to base and hill to the sides. The sides were well within the range, hence the problems 100% starts created in objective.. The base could still be pinged.

The general idea here is you take the BR -in the base- and use that to engage people -on the hill- that have BRs from their base. Instead of blindly jumping off the mancannon, you set up and push them off the hill. They can't hang out there forever since they aren't having BR ammo rain on top of them every time they kill someone. They can't burn their ammo taking potshots at everything that moves.

Then they made no changes to accomodate the 100% BR starts, which made the problem even worse. This is why I didn't want Valhalla to come back, the map is just straight up too open, especially with how many precision weapons people can start with now. If you think it's going to be problematic with the DMR, I don't understand the mental gymnatics required to retroactively make BR start workable on the map.

BigShow36

The map's apparent design is 3 gates. Pelican side of the hill, the hill itself, and the forerunner wall plain.

The issue is a few months into H3 BTB's objective run, they just slapped BR starts into all of it. Before, to be a good team you had to pick which two gates you were going to defend and either thin your defends on one to cover the third or patrol the remaining two gates. You could use misdirection to kite a team to one side of Valhalla, then push a rush team through the other side and punish for the team being stupid enough to break their ranks. They had limited BR ammo so they had to pick and choose which rush teams to engage and let their base players deal with it.

Giving everyone a BR in objective destroyed the gating and all you needed to do was stay on top of the middle hill. Every time you killed people, they dropped BRs and gave you more ammo to stay on top of the hill. Then new BRs respawned on the hill itself.

Objective went from rewarding planning and cleverness to teams just trying to rush through the wall of bullets since you no longer had to care about your ammo supply while holding middle hill, there was never a reason to leave middle hill and push into the other side of the map and run out of your BR ammo. Then every 2 minutes, you got rewarded with a bonus laser. Shit was decided in the opening exchange a lot of the time.

Map was way too open to deal with the 100% BR start change. Now people will be able to start with a DMR, won't be knocked out of scope on the hill, and get a laser.

Valhalla breaks the following rules:

* If BR start, the BR's sightlines must be controlled (Valhalla only controls base to base sightlines, but not much else)
* Don't put precision weapons on the upper vertical parts of the map (in this case, the middle hill)
* Have weapon loops (Valhalla has none)

and was never changed or Forged to accomodate the 100% BR start change.

This is a perfect example of something that sounds reasonable on paper but is completely broken in practice. You have some great theory-crafing going on there, but it simply doesn't work in reality. AR starts on big maps are inherently broken.

All this talk of strategy, sneaking and clever map movement and coordination simply doesn't pan out in the actual gameplay.

FyreWulff

All this talk of strategy, sneaking and clever map movement and coordination simply doesn't pan out in the actual gameplay.

Not my fault the map wasn't made to accomodate the change. Could have been done, easily.

Pinged rarely. I cannot think of a single time I've ever felt threatened in any way from base other than by a sniper on the hill. Likewise bubble to hill.

That would be the case if you didn't have flanking opportunities on both sides, other options to push them off the hill (a power drain scatters the roaches quite nicely), a sniper spawning in the safety of bottom level of the base, and safe vehicle spawns. Players had an abundance of options to push attackers off the hill. Sometimes it took coordination, but it was always possible. The BR was not an issue. Engagement options abounded.

So.. the same options they have to get people off the hill in AR starts. Got it.

GhaleonEB

Uh, the BR could easily hit hill to base and hill to the sides. The sides were well within the range, hence the problems 100% starts created in objective.. The base could still be pinged.
Pinged rarely. I cannot think of a single time I've ever felt threatened in any way from base other than by a sniper on the hill. Likewise bubble to hill.

The general idea here is you take the BR -in the base- and use that to engage people -on the hill- that have BRs from their base. Instead of blindly jumping off the mancannon, you set up and push them off the hill. They can't hang out there forever since they aren't having BR ammo rain on top of them every time they kill someone. They can't burn their ammo taking potshots at everything that moves.

Players having BR ammo on the hill really isn't an issue, since they don't own the map from there, and could be pushed off in a number of ways. It woudl be a problem if you didn't have flanking opportunities on both sides, other options to push them off the hill (a power drain scatters the roaches quite nicely), a sniper spawning in the safety of bottom level of the base, and safe vehicle spawns. Players had an abundance of options to push attackers off the hill. Sometimes it took coordination, but it was always possible. The BR was not an issue. Engagement options abounded.

feel

Finished watching that campaign demo, started a bit weak, but by the end I was loving it!! Totally old-school Halo, but with some fresh touches. Hype!

Vire

I think I've seen it all.

Is FyreWulff trying to troll us?

Is someone actually arguing for AR starts on Valhalla? My head hurts.

It'd be cool if the Flood in Flood (lol) were "thin" or flimsy enough that you could go through multiple zombies with single shots. Picture a Railgun round tearing an infected dude in half only to blain another one behind him right in the face.

i've been a rear admiral for years bro

good job. rear admiral is the only commendation i've actually cared to get to onyx, but it's not happening before H4

marina_laugh.gif

you maxed that one out long before reach babe

So we know 7 maps so far if I remember correctly,

Haven
Adrift
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnarok

I think there are 10 maps right? So are the last 3 the Forge environments Frankie talked about or are those separate from the 10?

GhaleonEB

That's long been his position. I agree with him that some maps play better without BR starts in Halo 3; Valhalla is BTB through and through and simply wasn't one of them.

Haven
Adrift
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnarok

I think there are 10 maps right? So are the last 3 the Forge environments Frankie talked about or are those separate from the 10?

10 + 3
They're separate. You could say we're getting 13 maps, but I'm not sure if the Forge environments are coming with a "default" layout.

Vire

That's long been his position. I agree with him that some maps play better without BR starts in Halo 3; Valhalla is BTB through and through and simply wasn't one of them.

Yeah I mean, I don't mind AR starts on something like Foundry, Cold Storage or Ghost Town, but not... Valhalla.

FyreWulff

LOL. I'm arguing against a map designed and launched with AR starts, then was given BR starts and was not redesigned to accomodate this change, leading to an amplification effect of the map's flaws. And at this time, it appears to be the same exact map, coming back with the same weapons PLUS the DMR. None of the videos shows any new paths, cover, or acknowledgement that the laser was a bad idea.

Valhalla wasn't a bad choice, it was a safe choice, and they seem to be playing it safe and not touching the map much. How this is going to shake out, I don't know.

Haven
Adrift
Longbow
Exile
Solace
Complex
Ragnarok

I'm seriously loving this map selection.. 343 is seriously coming strong with these maps and imagine if they also hit us with some legit Forge remakes on launch??

-Le faint-

Me and Poland on Reach right now if anyone wants to join. I'm on fiyaaa ;]

I still have an average of 10 kills per game though so I'm not useless. :p

It's how you get the kills that tells me everything I need to know.

lmfao Yeah after that one game you were trying to sneakily put the blame on me, I decided to BEASTMODE a couple games and do the whole "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!" Gladiator shit to prove it <3

OH and for that Swordbase OB game you're talking about, I was using the radar jammer for the team as the Camo guy the. entire. time. I was doing my part ;'[

It was swordbase. Oddball. Red team. All camo does is make you slower and occasionally jam our radar too. That wasn't even the complaint really. It was positioning where you weren't much help to the ball carrier, because you went camo. It was annoying because we'd spawn somewhere with you when we died and the other team could overrun normally solid Dongball Slurpbase setups because of travel time.

I just don't rage when I lose like some of YOU nerds! That being said, getting on now and I promise to at least shoot people with you :]

It wasn't rage because we lost, it was rage because of *why* we lost :) Much like herp derp melee Mcgee up there would cause issues (although much faster and more consistently).

When the top two people for ball time also had the most kills and assists, and least deaths, there's something wrong if you think camo with no ball time is a more beneficial strat. We tried to make that point and you got crazy defensive (fueling the flames I suppose). Running flag on Zealot uncontested because the next team we played had mental deficiencies isn't exactly the bees nees, although slightly more useful :)

In any case, I'm at work but I'll be on tonight (probably after Borderlands) if you're on later.

Running really slick for me. Apps take like 1/2 of the time they did on the previous dash on the same box. Same for the dash itself. The only thing that occassionally runs a little off for me is the new guide.

Top Bottom