• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Akai__

So assassinations are yoink-able? Because you said you did a Ninja, which was then yoinked.

I don't like the idea of this. I was betraying people at the beginning of Halo Reach for doing a Yoink. I hope they are rare and I hope, that assassinations are not buggy, like they were in Reach...

Ps: Very good write up btw :)

nillapuddin

Yeah the lame duck rounds are a poor ambassdor for Team Objective in any respect. I can't blame people for not wanting to play them after going through that a couple of times.

Even without lame duck detection, the easiest and best fix is one round for each team in 1-sided objectives. You both get a chance, you win or you don't win, everyone moves on to another game. They did this change to H3 BTB Territories and it was great.

(with all indications of a really streamlined MM experience)

I would be surprised if it was not 1 chance per team,
Id prefer it and I really hope thats the way it works

I wasnt aware they did that in BTB on 3

Akai__

I hope you are rare. :mad:

I found it absolutely unneccessary to do them, because it's a 100% kill. Why would you waste bullets on a guarenteed kill?

Well, I don't care anymore in Reach and when I said "in the beginning" I meant the 1st week (I know it's not an apology), until I realized that Reach is bad. Took me long enough...

Edit:

Croatia, I say this very sincerely.

This is shit thing to do in a MM environment.

You know what was very frustrating? People yoinked me with rockets and killed me, too or they wanted to snipe the guy which is going to be assassinated, but sniped me instead.

Don't see a difference between me and them and like I said, I really don't care about being yoinked anymore and I don't betray people anymore, for anything.

Gametypes or game modes? Assault is the mode breh (in this sense at least), I can see them cutting the 1-flag gametype/variant/other label but them cutting CTF altogether would be a tragedy.. much like Assault. Shocked to see a few people willing to accept this just because of what Reach has done to us..

Believe.

If Assault was in the game, you'd have a giant KILL icon over your head when you pick up the bomb, slowly walking into enemy territory. It'd be like walking through Harlem with a "I HATE NIGGERS" sign like John McClane in Die Hard 3, it's fuckin' suicide.

Karl2177

Where have you been hiding lately? Mr. Scrubby McDubby, haven't seen you online in a while.

Unless it's timezone thing.

Classes suck my free time away. My classes this semester are easier, but they just consume so much time. I've been working the past couple of nights on a computer science project that has easy methods, but there's twelve fuck-tons of them.

I cannot wait for launch. The first few weeks of a new Halo game becomes stomping grounds for veterans.

UX1pg.gif

I bet even I can maintain a semblance of being good at the game for the first few weeks.

xpDIr.gif

Tawpgun

Even "I like booty"? Because that seems pretty innocent

Who doesn't like booty!?

That's not cool I know people with booties.

And I've played with Booties.

Also, seems like the show floor at NYCC opens at 10AM. Earliest Bus from Boston on Saturday gets me there at 10:15 am more or less. I might have to take a late bus on Friday and spend the early morning in NYC. Which I literally did last friday lol.

I hope Assault returns, or at least a spiritual successor to Assault returns.. there is so much potential in Assault mixed with Dominion.

A sophisticated Brute. All that's missing is a monocle and top hat.

Yeah, thats my biggest issue with the design.. it takes elements of the Forerunners and makes it look a little too much like an evolved Brute. I imagine in reality the design would look a little more sleek and other worldly but noticeably close to the art in concept.

This guy is VERY good at the game, ended up chilling with him for a bit - It was like ripping through matchmaking, it was absolutely insane how 'powerful' a good team can be against 'randoms' - some Infinity Slayer games came down to the other team only having 50 points.

I am going to just dump a uncollected bunch of thoughts rather than try and do a 'proper' write up:

• Railgun - This weapon is awesome, seems pretty balanced on small maps - but will dominate on maps like Valhalla, essentially you hold the trigger for a second and it autofires - the hold time isnt enough to make it challenging - I can see this maybe being called OP, but its extremely rare, which balances it out.
  • Incinerator - This weapon is amazing, surprisingly not as OP'd as I expected, but can be used in some pretty awesome ways - in one of my games I saw someone run to a part of the map where I couldnt see him, but could see forerunner decorations on the wall, I bounced the shot off of that which must have rained the subsplosion onto him, seeing the white text to confirm the kill was hot.
  • Spartan disintegration - loved it, saw a guy get scattershot into the back of the head... ragdoll while disintergrating from the neck down. Was brutal. I miss the Halo 3 ragdolls but im impressed with the tech behind this visual effect.
  • Jumping and movement felt like they took Halo 3 and turned it upto 10 - the movement in this game is SO good, in one of my early games I got a ninja (but was yoinked :() - in a later game I came across 3 people, was able to thrust the hell out of there, go through a mancannon, drop back down through the floor and take out all 3 of them from behind. This all happened insanely fast.
  • Didnt get a chance to use the Sniper much - got some sweet kills with it, but I cant tell if its easy like the Reach sniper - the bulky design didnt feel like it got in the way which is a plus.
  • Game winning killcams are in! - Got a frenzy In my last game but I dont think the medal showed in the killcam, which is a shame.
  • Weird menus - checking score using the back button in game stops you moving. It essentially pauses the game briefly to show you the scoreboard. Post game lobby was also awkward.
  • Earning ordnance felt wacky, you didnt really know when you where going to earn it or how far from the next one you where. The ordnance unlocked animation took a painfully long time to give you your options. After killing a guy I would like to bring it up immediately, not have to wait another 5 seconds for the animation to finish.
  • Lunge is significantly nerfed - sword guys have to be right on top of opponent to get the kill, melee lunge is also very short. This was awesome - but I fear could be a LAN 'feature' only?
  • Saw someone camp a lift with sticky detonator which sucked - he essentially shot it at the thing, and waited for someone to come up. He also had promethean vision - which was super op'd.
  • Promethean vision was a game changer - I could snipe people who I couldnt see well using it. The first time I used it I was shocked by how long it seemed to take to work, but on subsequent uses it felt fast - I dont know what to make of that.
  • Feedback was just bad - hard to read medals - white text helped here but I still really dislike what they did with the medals, perhaps when I learn the new designs I will read them a bit better, but they are tiny, all look the same and spam the screen constantly. You can get 4 medals for what seems like a simply kill. - Medals should be used as cue's and should help with readability - they currently do not - although that can be based on limited knowledge of the medals.
  • Hard-light shield is awesome - fast movement - well balanced - can strafe around teammates using it and I had a moment when I used it when I was about to lose a BR battle - a guy wasted his bullets into it - had to reload and I wasted him.
  • Regen field is weak, and when your inside it - you had slightly blurry vision - cant see this being helpful to anyone in multiplayer ever.
  • Crap nades - nades feel like ODST nades, wasnt a fan at all.
  • Super nerfed jet pack - I love it. Thing feels more like the Arkham Asylum cape hover than anything.
  • Turret cleaning up kill? - At one time I used a turret, got into a fight - died but got the kill - I thought the turret derezed once you died? perhaps it lasts a little longer? In general the turret is a great distraction, but will probably go unused compared to thrust, prom vision or hardlight shield - all 3 of those where awesome.
  • Pressing x to respawn made my use my AA too many times lol! I was jamming x to get back into the action and would see my character thrust a lot! In a way this showed me how little juice AA's have, which is awesome.
  • Ques handlers where really good - eurogamer needs to give the guys working the Halo que real life medals - or a pay rise. Loved them guys. For reference, Metal Gear Solid and Black Ops 2 had what seemed like more TV's, and somehow also had what seemed like 2 hour que's. I was playing Halo 4 within 20 minuites of queuing every single time.
  • There where 4 main areas - my first match was regicide, (which I won :p) - but the tv's had a ton of input lag. The Tv's which where playing Adrift also had a ton of input lag - so I only played that map the once, but it was awesome - really fun. Lots of potential for jumps. My main gametime was spent on Solace and Haven in Infinity Slayer - both maps aestheticaly felt similar, and I liked them both. Solace felt a little large, and even Haven felt a bit too large at times. I would love a Pit remake!

Had a long day, and ended up doing a lot of other stuff after playing - memories really fuzzy - mention random sandbox stuff and I will mention if I came across it.

Did come across the Beam Rifle, but never got to use it :(
Also I still dont like tactical and support packages, they are very fuzzy, they add barely anything to the game except for extremely rare situational advantages. Game would be better off with the advantages of some of them being built into the base gameplay.

Couldnt get on with the Light Rifle at all - BR was heaven, DMR was powerful, Carbine was sick. So much variety!

Magnum was suprisingly good - Boltshot was good as a mini shotgun, but felt less useful as a pistol for some reason. PP had decent tracking but I only tried it once, I imagine the noob combo will happen annoying more then you would think.

I will say this, the game is REALLY fun, awesome moments happen on a match by match basis - 343 has put an incredibly game together - and while I may still feel a bit like its not fully Halo... in may ways its better than Halo. Great job guys, you converted a pretty skeptical fan. I know im going to have a lot of fun with the game - the 5 shot felt good, the fun factor was there - good job guys.

Great write up! Glad to hear you enjoyed the game.. Man, I wish Pittsburgh had media events like this.

That's no excuse to cut Assault! Assault was crazy fun in Halo 2 and started flopping ever since the movement speeds slowed to a crawl and kill-times went through the roof (much like CTF).

And to your point about Grifball, maybe they used the OB so you can pass it? Assault just feels different because it's an offensive objective unlike the others ;[ - If they scrap it.. the devastation.. nono, I refuse..

Mk.V, Grenade Launcher and Assault? Overwhelming and unacceptable :]

nilla, have the gimp ready.

The point is that 343 looked at objective games from square one, but what was in the last game.

Objective gametypes as a whole in matchmaking for the past two games has been failure. 343 has responded to this by rethinking objective gametypes, designing them specifically for matchmaking with a specific matchmaking setup in mind. This is going to lead to a smaller set of gametypes that 343 has a lot of confidence in.

I love assault, and I fucking love the grenade launcher, but this is 343's game. They are going to make a game that they think is great, not make a game being confined by a tiny portion of us hardcore players that are going to cry bloody murder because something from a previous game that they didn't even make isn't in the their game.

I'm considering this extra life fundraiser. Anyone interested in joining me? Preferably people who cans stream their feeds.

I'm thinking 4-player co-op Halo (so H3 and ODST), but with challenges created by the community (only needlers on one level and only melee on the next etc etc).

Just an idea.

Fuchsdh

And Bobs brings the hype. Time capsule please?

I counted 35 bans. One for the ages, goddamn. (Ever one, deserved.)

I laughed, I cried, I reread it to figure out if the person has mental issues: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42626500&postcount=53

I'm considering this extra life fundraiser. Anyone interested in joining me? Preferably people who cans stream their feeds.

I'm thinking 4-player co-op Halo (so H3 and ODST), but with challenges created by the community (only needlers on one level and only melee on the next etc etc).

Just an idea.

I pretty much go around bruising people all the time in my campaign runs. Sadly my cap card is toast, and I'm not getting another one until I've got the new comp to go with it.

Gui_PT

Just an idea.

I have no way of streaming but would like to halp

PooBone

Anyone still play Halo 3 over Reach's multiplayer? Hopped into Reach for a few games and played games with really good K/D rations (good for me anyway), but had very little fun. After having seen what 343 has in store and then playing on either the ugly ass Reach maps or Beaver Creek over and over, I'm officially done with Reach/Anniversary's multiplayer. Can't wait for Election Day.

Striker

That's no excuse to cut Assault! Assault was crazy fun in Halo 2 and started flopping ever since the movement speeds slowed to a crawl and kill-times went through the roof (much like CTF).
It went to shit because they went away from actually arming and planting, along with it exploding as you planted. No "defense this spot for 10 secs." BS, or no instant arm crap. Sticky arming and the HUD did a great job of assisting players of what's going and how close you were to winning/losing, as well.

Map design also was big for it. Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Midship, Ivory Tower, Warlock, Terminal, etc. - I can't think of a great Assault map in Reach or H3.

As long as they have massive amounts of 1 or 2 flag & bomb then they've made this hardcore objective guy happy.

In my opinion I'm happy if they ditch the crappy game types like KOTH, crazy king, stockpile, oddball etc. Just go flag and bomb balls out!

Sure I have concerns with carrier waypoint and no dropping but I'll learn to accept it if the objective population responds and sticks around thanks to 343i changes.

If not 343i better deliver rapid playlist/setting changes or potentially lose the objective crowd once again for another Halo title.

So the embargo goes up pretty soon right? 12 EST or PST?

If I had to guess it would be 3am EST as that is the time the others have ended and we got media drops. Blah, Im torn.. I have class tomorrow AND my car is in the shop which means Im gonna have to take a bunch of buses and get up early.. But I still wanna have fun when the media hits. What to do..

For those who aren't aware I am pretty sure the amount to fill the personal ordnance bar is 60 points; special stuff is worth 15 points, kills worth 10, and minor stuff worth 5 points. Someone getting an assassination at the beginning of the game got 15 points and filled the bar to a quarter exactly. :)

I wonder if the quicker ordnance perk reduces the requirement to 45 or 40 points rather than 50. :) 45 points would mean 5 kills or 4 kills plus an assist. Actually 40 might be all sorts of broken. Especially with re-rolling ordnance.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"player does not have the recommended downloadable content"

Is this a fucking joke? I literally just put out the points for anniversary, and i've had defiant/noble since their respective release dates.
Redownloaded all three. Still getting this message.

I am NOT going to have my DLC cockblocked. >:OOOOO

Just an idea.

Wood, get some dates and some facts and hopefully I'm available.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
They're probably sub-power weapons. SAW might be a power weapon idk.

Nowhere near as powerful as a sniper or rocket
I define power weapons as a tool of destruction that is capable of killing with a single shot. By their very nature, the needler and SAW do not fit that definition. However, as you noted, both are very deadly.

Pretty sure that's a buddy of mine from Lionhead that's talking in the background. Small freaking world.

EDIT: Changed "we" to "I."

The idea of a "sub-power" weapon in H4 isn't really there anymore.
We define power weapons as a tool of destruction that is capable of killing with a single shot. By their very nature, the needler and SAW do not fit that definition. However, as you noted, both are very deadly.

Semantics IMO. Case in point, the Boltshot. SAW for future loadouts confirmed.

Assault?

Oh and seriously thank you for helping to make Halo 4 (here comes the epic (pun intended) GoW2 slogan) BIGGER, better and more badass!

Top Bottom