• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I believe Black Magic makes a shuttle for Macs (Thunderbolt required I believe).

That actually might be cutting it close. Streaming takes significantly more processing power than capturing to disk. As an example, my laptop is a few years old with similar specs that you listed and if the quality setting or codec is too high or wrong it has trouble with anything higher than 480p (streaming). But it can capture HD no problem.

Ah, OK. In that case I'll stick to capturing for the time being. Thanks for the help!

My YouTube channel is about to take off, people

Blue Ninja account has been hijacked or pigs flew. This much positivity? Something is not right.

Also, the medals looks fuck-ton-awesome.

Edit: Top of the page. I AM KING OF THE WORLD.

Meh, don't like what they've done with the multikill medals. Everything (at least till the overkill) is now black. Pretty boring design.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I think Ragnarok is small enough to be a good 5v5 map in Halo 4.

Just means that there won't be any good maps fit for MLG after the inevitable removal of sprint.
Which honestly isn't 343's problem.
I mean Midship small. I honestly can't see how sprint really could affect maps unless it's like 6v6/7v7/8v8. In competitive gametypes, once everyone has setup, they aren't moving around all that much.
Only in shit MLG gametypes like Pit Slayer where everyone stands on their respective side of the wall for nice 20-18 game.

PAX CTF was 5v5. 343 has stated several times that objective gametypes are designed for 5v5 in H4, you probably won't find any 4v4 objective in MM in the core lists.

They've had slayer 4v4 games of course though.

Also, I'm fairly certain 343 sees maps like Exile and Ragnorak as hybrid maps for 5v5 (possibly 4v4) as well as big team.

Havok

Pretty excited for tomorrow's map reveal, and for a more in-depth walkthrough of the maps we've already seen. Hopefully there won't be any "well this map is purple, so it's obviously a remake of Midship" moments like it seems every Halo has.
I think Ragnarok is small enough to be a good 5v5 map in Halo 4.
That's what I figured it was gonna be used primarily for when they announced it, I always thought Valhalla worked best in 6v6 in Halo 3 (so maybe I'm weird?). There's a lot of talk from 343 devs about playing it in Big Team, though, which I'll have to see to believe.

I hate how he bashes Thruster Pack and then proceeds to use it terribly. One zombie juked him with it and killed him. Still looks like its gunna be my favorite AA.

Thrust is REALLY good. I was loving it defensively - it also seemed pretty strong aggressively, thrusting out of cover to catch someone by surprise seems to work well - although theoretically they have the advantage if they can start getting shots off at you before you get back into first person.

I cant wait for the game to come out. It really seems like 343 nailed armour abilities. So much to experiment with.

I cant believe how excited I am by just having well balanced armour abilities to play with - they really do improve the game when they are balanced well. I hope my opinion of them remains the same when they are unleashed into the wild and people start really thinking of how to use them but im surprised how well they play. It feels really bland going back to older Halo without these 'gadgets' - I never felt that during Reach's run.

Aggrotek

Thrust is REALLY good. I was loving it defensively - it also seemed pretty strong aggressively, thrusting out of cover to catch someone by surprise seems to work well - although theoretically they have the advantage if they can start getting shots off at you before you get back into first person.

I cant wait for the game to come out. It really seems like 343 nailed armour abilities.

This was my impression. It looks like you can use it as a pseudostrafe to trick opponents like mad.

Talents

Banned
Only in shit MLG gametypes like Pit Slayer where everyone stands on their respective side of the wall for nice 20-18 game.

Really? That's odd, in H3, me and my team always did that kind of setup, we never had a game that I recall that ended with a score that low. You must be really bad at Halo to end up with a score like that.

thruster looks like my go-to AA. So many ways to use it creatively

Really? That's odd, in H3, me and my team always did that kind of setup, we never had a game that I recall that ended with a score that low. You must be really bad at Halo to end up with a score like that.
or really good. pro Pit Slayer games almost always ground to a halt for a while

lol that shit happened on the circuit events.

(That exactly number isn't right)

Karl2177

Damn... I wonder if doubles will even work in halo 4???

Why wouldn't it? I doubt they are going to have a playlist dedicated to it, but with a moderately better Forge and customs, I can't see it being screwed over completely. Or at least not as bad as the current state of Reach Dubs.

Vire

Remember a while back Wahrer compiled a list in terms of size and Frankie said that it was pretty accurate? Could anyone dig that up now that we know some more maps.

Woorloog

Banned
Warthog isn't exactly indicative of the actual vehicle, so I wouldn't give the name too much credence.

The Warthog does look a bit (a real small bit, you need to know what to look for) like a warthog. Or used to be, Halo 4's is more rectangular, less... organic-looking.
But the Sphinx... It wasn't really described well in Cryptum. So, what does it look like? It wasn't the only thing in the book i didn't quite get how it looks, nearly everything was inadequately described. Or the prose is such that i cannot remember it well.

Fracas

#fuckonami
yeah dude he's really bad

Everyone here's a total scrub lord
Does it capture well?
Haven't tried yet, but I think it will. We're capping some Halo gameplay right now, hoping it goes well.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty excited for tomorrow's map reveal, and for a more in-depth walkthrough of the maps we've already seen. Hopefully there won't be any "well this map is purple, so it's obviously a remake of Midship" moments like it seems every Halo has.
That's what I figured it was gonna be used primarily for when they announced it, I always thought Valhalla worked best in 6v6 in Halo 3 (so maybe I'm weird?). There's a lot of talk from 343 devs about playing it in Big Team, though, which I'll have to see to believe.
Yeah, it seems wayyyyy too small for 16 players.

CyReN

Tons of matches ended like that at the higher level of play at events.

B wzy

Neo Member
I think its great that 343 re-imagined infection the way they did, however, I feel like it could really shine with a little more implementation. I understand it probably came down to bandwith/time/money issues and that we are lucky they invested in it in the first place, but Flood could potentially be more than just a re-skin of infection in my opinion.

After watching some of the gameplay I imagined more Flood specific gameplay changes like Flood weapons. The Flood could get a spore grenade or have some sort of organic ranged weapon similar to Halo 3's. Maybe we will see something down the road when the Flood make an appearance again.

I missed out on this conversation over the weekend but, holy fucking shit, what a bunch of garbage. "Hey fatass, we'll reward your non-exercising jelly roll of a midsection with things that encourage more non-exercise when you buy our terrible, horrific products. At least your pulmonary embolism will be nacho flavored"

Bravo, Microsoft marketing department. Don't bother with a "train like a Spartan" stat-tracking app that rewards you with in-game bonuses for doing things like consistent exercise and eating right. Nope, let's encourage more "corn" consumption on a colossal level and not give two diabetic shits about whether you live to see Halo 6 or not.

grr

Post of the year.
Unfortunately, capitalism and ethics do not bedfellows make.

What is this about?

MLG needs to get with the times. They can't expect 343 to design maps just for people that disable mechanics. Sprint is fine in MLG.

One, forge-made map for Grifball (within a Forge environment). It is also a side gametype, not Halo really. MLG wants to be "competitive Halo." If so, they need to play competitive Halo, not "as close to Halo 2 as we can get whatever Halo game is out right now."

I love hearing people on HaloGAF who know nothing about or don't understand MLG, talk about MLG...

MLG played the entirety of Reach's first and only season with settings that were more or less default save a slight increase to the base speed and a weaker melee. Sprint enabled. They embraced AA's where they made sense (as pickups). It was the game itself that destroyed MLG Halo. The viewing figures for that season plummeted. When they finally got the option for no bloom (and removed sprint) they produced the best event Reach had had, one to rival some of the best MLG events.

I get where you're coming from... but Halo has no divine right to be on the MLG circuit. If the base game isn't up to scratch competitively (as in, random elements are deciding outcomes of 100,000 dollar games or the skill gap is too narrow) then it will have to be tweaked in custom settings. If it's tweaked too much and it deviates from the base game to the point that 'casuals' can't identify with it and therefore don't tune in to watch then the game will fail on the circuit and it will be removed. You can't just throw the default game on because that attracts the most players. The base game has to be right for that to happen. Otherwise you could end up with a situation where, say, default Mario Kart is put on the circuit; the best racer is first for the entirety of the first two and a half laps, gets blue shelled 50 yards from the finish line and comes forth. Competitive players (or teams in Halo's case) will not pay the MLG participants fee if they feel like they have no discernible control over the game (not saying Halo 4 will be as imbalanced as Mario Kart, I'm using that as an extreme example).

Personally, I found the over reliance on Forge maps the biggest turn off in regards to MLG Reach, and I'd venture that'd be a lot of other viewers opinion too. I loved Halo 3 MLG tourneys but I'd groan every time Oddball on a Forge map came up (can't remember its name, was around the second season settings). Amplified wasn't especially easy on the eye either. Onslaught was passable because the swiftness of the flag capping and the numerous back-from-the-brink comebacks always made for a riveting watch. Now consider the fact that MLG Reach was mostly Forge maps and it's a terrible time for the viewer. They're bad enough to play on, let alone watch. Again though, MLG was forced into that situation because the shipping maps with Reach just weren't good enough and didn't facilitate competitive gameplay, sprint or no sprint.

Thankfully, Halo 4's maps already look a lot more promising than Reach's launch offerings.

Seance

Banned
MLG needs to get with the times. They can't expect 343 to design maps just for people that disable mechanics. Sprint is fine in MLG.

For Halo4 i agree. But to say that removing all AAs in Reach wasn't the right decision is just wrong. No AA didn't have a detriment to competitive play, especially given the slow pace and long killtimes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Henery i think you've got what I was trying to say a bit off. I have no qualm with MLG adjusting settings to make better competitive gameplay or gain more viewers, I just think sprint is something that is simple enough and base enough to be left in the game now. I was noting that I don't think 343 should have to go out of their way to make like 5 maps just for MLG, because Halo isn't made for MLG, MLG uses Halo.

My qualm wasn't with how MLG works as a whole, nor was it saying it has a "right" to be on the circuit. More that there shouldn't be maps being made on the sole basis that MLG can use them without sprint, etc.

I just don't like that at times (not all the time or for everyone) it seems like MLG feels entitled to have developers bend to their will because they have the game on their circuit, when in reality it should be both ways. Devs should do what they can to lend a hand, but MLG should also attempt to fit their circuit to the newest additions.

I have no issue with turning off AAs or random gun drops, I was just confused at why people think 343 should develop maps just for MLG to not use sprint, when sprint is something that Halo 4 is now based on.

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense...

I just posted something about this on the gaming side thread: Do you guys think they'll have a community playlist with popular player-created forge maps? I like what Bungie was onto in Reach, but I feel like they could've implemented a better system for adding more maps without too much work from the developers side. Win win.

Overdoziz

Banned
Henery i think you've got what I was trying to say a bit off. I have no qualm with MLG adjusting settings to make better competitive gameplay or gain more viewers, I just think sprint is something that is simple enough and base enough to be left in the game now. I was noting that I don't think 343 should have to go out of their way to make like 5 maps just for MLG, because Halo isn't made for MLG, MLG uses Halo.

My qualm wasn't with how MLG works as a whole, nor was it saying it has a "right" to be on the circuit. More that there shouldn't be maps being made on the sole basis that MLG can use them without sprint, etc.

I just don't like that at times (not all the time or for everyone) it seems like MLG feels entitled to have developers bend to their will because they have the game on their circuit, when in reality it should be both ways. Devs should do what they can to lend a hand, but MLG should also attempt to fit their circuit to the newest additions.

I have no issue with turning off AAs or random gun drops, I was just confused at why people think 343 should develop maps just for MLG to not use sprint, when sprint is something that Halo 4 is now based on.

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense...
I was just joking about Halo 4 MLG not having sprint. Reach not having sprint made sense though. The way Reach's sprint worked made it so people could run away from death to often slowing down the game tremendously, especially when combined with bloom. Playing Countdown with sprint can be annoying as fuck at times when people keep running away around corner before you can finish 'em off.

iQo4Bloou9d3Z.jpg

Can't wait to see that. :)

Halo 4 install screen confirmed.

blamite

I just posted something about this on the gaming side thread: Do you guys think they'll have a community playlist with popular player-created forge maps? I like what Bungie was onto in Reach, but I feel like they could've implemented a better system for adding more maps without too much work from the developers side. Win win.

Definitely. I think 343 already said that forged maps won't be used in standard playlists, at least not initially. That should be good for avoiding a repeat of Reach where community maps shit up Team Slayer/Super Slayer/BTB. I'm hoping we'll get something like the community playlists Bungie rotated through in Reach, or the Bungie Day playlist in H3. Rotating through Community Slayer, Community Objective, and Community BTB, either as weekend or monthly playlists would be pretty great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was just joking about Halo 4 MLG not having sprint. Reach not having sprint made sense though. The way Reach's sprint worked made it so people could run away from death to often slowing down the game tremendously, especially when combined with bloom. Playing Countdown with sprint can be annoying as fuck at times when people keep running away around corner before you can finish 'em off.

Yeah, for Reach the ability to pick an AA of your choosing is something that went against what MLG does, and I'm fine with that. With sprint being a base trait in Halo 4 it makes much more sense to leave in. My note wasn't about you, more Talents, as he (sort of) brought up that there should be maps made for no sprint, which I found odd.

I like to watch MLG, it's fun. It's just that I get this odd "change your game or we'll drop you" vibe from some (note: some, not all) MLG types. Halo helped to make MLG what it is, not the other way around. I think a balance can be struck where MLG gets the competitive gameplay they need, while still incorporating some of Halo 4's new mechanics and features. Disable AA's, fix the weapon locations, disable drops and "perks," etc. It can work (much better than Reach did) I think.

It's in the interest of both parties to do what they can to have a popular AND competitive game on their circuit. I don't get what you're trying to say that the "MLG supporters" aren't also saying, other than your apparent obsession with Sprint (which, as has been said, they had for an entire season). If you had a grasp on their concerns, you'd know the perks/ordnance/etc are a much bigger issue than sprint.

Apparently we're both saying the same thing. I was more on about what Talents noted about sprint being kept out and maps should be designed for that. :)

TCKaos

I missed out on this conversation over the weekend but, holy fucking shit, what a bunch of garbage. "Hey fatass, we'll reward your non-exercising jelly roll of a midsection with things that encourage more non-exercise when you buy our terrible, horrific products. At least your pulmonary embolism will be nacho flavored"

Bravo, Microsoft marketing department. Don't bother with a "train like a Spartan" stat-tracking app that rewards you with in-game bonuses for doing things like consistent exercise and eating right. Nope, let's encourage more "corn" consumption on a colossal level and not give two diabetic shits about whether you live to see Halo 6 or not.

grr

Push-ups and body weight squats while searching for matches.

But yeah, I get you bro. Microsoft certainly isn't helping the fatties out. Maybe if there were double XP codes for protein bars and apples. Especially Granny Smith. That shit is fucking delicious.

Or a triple XP weekend for every time you re-up a gym membership or something.

Who are these developers? What are these games? You realize that Halo is the only game for which MLG was the biggest tourney/circuit right? SC2? nope. Fighting games? nope. LoL? nope.

It's in the interest of both parties to do what they can to have a popular AND competitive game on their circuit. I don't get what you're trying to say that the "MLG supporters" aren't also saying, other than your apparent obsession with Sprint (which, as has been said, they had for an entire season). If you had a grasp on their concerns, you'd know the perks/ordnance/etc are a much bigger issue than sprint.

Top Bottom