• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I keep seeing people mention 4v4 when discussing maps sizes, etc.

Has 343 shown any team gametype yet that wasn't 5v5 or 8v8? I haven't seen any.

I think 4v4 is going the way of the dodo, at least in official playlists.

Yes. I fail to see how removing sprint will change that. Save your responses, I've heard the arguments against sprint and I do not agree.

As for other things, sure tweak or remove them. I could see removing some of the AA and such, but changing kill times and player traits seems unnecessary. It made sense for Reach, if it gets changed for 4 then it seems they will be changing just to be different.

I'm not actually talking about sprint. I think I won't actually mind sprint in Halo 4 if double beatdowning is as difficult as said by most people that played the game and running away from encounters isn't as easy as in Reach. The things I think that should be removed from MLG (or any really competitive gametype) are the modifications and AA's. Purely because I think people should go equally into a match. It's the same in any sports. No athlete has anything else (maybe sporting gear but that's such a small detail) besides their skill. That's how I like my competitive games/sports.

But that's my ideal playlist. We'll see what MLG will do with the game (if they're going to do anything at all with it after the pre launch tournament). I can understand that some people like to use modifications to get that little edge over another player in certain situations. It just ins't what I search in a competitive environment.

Got my Roxio Game Capture HD in today, but I'm having problems with streaming.

The video keeps stuttering, no matter what resolution or settings I have. Anyone know what would cause this? I tried using both my laptop and my brother's laptop (I don't think it's the power of the computers we're using as his is pretty powerful), and it kept doing it.

Details on bolded? Including software you're using.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I keep seeing people mention 4v4 when discussing maps sizes, etc.

Has 343 shown any gametype yet that wasn't 5v5 or 8v8? I haven't seen any.

I think 4v4 is going the way of the dodo, at least in official playlists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6J3otRavFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWRzqmFZ1ng&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJaHsHO6mQ&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULgEIR35amQ&feature=relmfu

All games at E3 and Comic Con were 4v4. PAX was 6v6 because of Exile CTF.

CyReN

People act like MLG always completely changes the game. Up until Halo Reach MLG was always relatively close to the base game. Reach has been the only game where MLG is actually a completely different game and this was for obvious reasons. If Halo 4 is competitively sound out of the box than MLG will most likely stay pretty close to vanilla.

The problem with it's game testing is they don't remove things 1 by 1, they just put DMR/Rockets/Sniper on map and go from there.

One of my favorites weapons in MLG Halo 2 was the Sword and P shooter, if we had forge then it would have been cut. We have to let the game evolve before cutting.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
And let's not forget that they actually gave vanilla Reach (or pretty darn close to it) a shot in the beginning - sprint, bloom, shield system, melee, etc. included.

Also Armor Lock. But, there were less options in previous games. Who's to say they wouldn't have changed things in the past if it were possible?

Fracas

#fuckonami

Tried streaming on twitch at 1080p, then 720p, then 480p, still stuttered. I'm just using the software provided with the capture equipment.

edit: and my brother's getting the computer specs now. Looking at the required/recommended specs for using this, his laptop seems more than adequate

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So it makes sense to make a unique map and settings for a gametype that is "not Halo really," but not for a gametype that is much closer to "real" Halo, whatever that is? Doesn't that seem odd?

But they didn't make a map in the sense that others were talking about. They used Forge to build a room and called it a Grifball arena.

My point is, the base Halo 4 maps should be fine for MLG without the need to make special maps. They are playing competitive Halo, 343 made competitive Halo maps.

I think Over is correct. If Halo 4's core is there, MLG will adapt and stay close to Vanilla. I can see the reasons for removing AAs and using consistent weapon spawns, but sprint should be just fine to leave in.

lilty

Does anyone have any experience with this capture card? I've been wanting to get into making content for awhile now, and this appears to be my only option on Mac. Just wanted to know what people thought of it before committing to a purchase.

Also, my turtle beach headset is breaking and I need a new one. I'd like to keep costs as low as possible, preferably in the $100 range. I was thinking of getting a SteelSeries set, but I'm not sure how it would work with my current set up : the ViewSonic monitor MLG used in 2008 and VGA cables. Does anyone know?

feel

Hilarity!
iQo4Bloou9d3Z.jpg

Can't wait to see that. :)

blamite

FWIW I'll have direct-feed footage of Ragnarok on IGN on Thursday with commentary from 343 Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson.

(In fact, we're doing this for all 10 maps every Tuesday and Thursday for the next five weeks, starting tomorrow with...a new map. /shamelessplug)

From the gaming side Ragnarok thread.

New map tomorrow!

I have posted the issue in the Halo Waypoint forums but the mod's answers aren't that useful...has someone else incurred in this?

I have created a new live account and changed the tag in the old profile in order to free the nickname, but now my waypoints stats on the website have somewhat merged bugging: they report that i have beat halo ODST and Halo 3, but in my new profile i have only played Reach.
Example: i have no Halo 3 in my new tag but the records are there...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/f4f8p.png/

My laptop specs aren't that great, but should be enough to stream at least 480p just fine and they're better than the requirements listed on the box. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz and I have 4GB of RAM.

Fracas tried with his worse laptop and got about the same results as me.

edit: Speedtest.net shows our upload speed at ~50 Mbps

zlatko

Banned
I used to drink Mt. Dew at about 2-3 cans a day. Last 4ish months I haven't had ANY kind of soda.

Come October 15th I will probably buy a metric shit ton of it, and attempt to have others drink it for me,but I fear I may be weak. :(

Tried streaming on twitch at 1080p, then 720p, then 480p, still stuttered. I'm just using the software provided with the capture equipment.

edit: and my brother's getting the computer specs now. Looking at the required/recommended specs for using this, his laptop seems more than adequate

Are you using a screen capture method to stream or is a direct feed from the device? Have you tried Xsplit? Wirecast? FMLE?

In the case of laptops and capture devices (I had this issue before with a dazzle device years ago), your laptop might not be providing enough power to the device through the USB port.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
I have posted the issue in the Halo Waypoint forums but the mod's answers aren't that useful...has someone else incurred in this?

I have created a new live account and changed the tag in the old profile in order to free the nickname, but now my waypoints stats on the website have somewhat merged bugging: they report that i have beat halo ODST and Halo 3, but in my new profile i have only played Reach.
Example: i have no Halo 3 in my new tag but the records are there...

f4f8p.png

It is certainly a bug. the only way to get a continuation of stats is to change your gamertag from your original tag (ie through the xbox/xboxlive.com)

I changed my gamertag between Halo 3 and Reach and it updated everything, forum tag, stats, gameplay films, and so on to the new tag.

It even updated the gamertag on my Halo 2 history even though it was all done under my original tag.

Creating a new live ID and then syncing the account causes it to start tracking from the day you created the account and then it looks for a hodge podge of history when you link that up to the old profile.

So what should i do to fix?

Haven't found a way to get it resolved as of yet. Its a Database query issue as far as I can tell but without having access to both the Live and 343 stat tracking servers I have no idea what key values they link up with. For right now... wait and see if it pulls the rest of the info over time.

Anyone hoping there will be a scarab in the campaign. I was super disappointed by reach in the lack of large scale vehicle and scarab battles. Halo 3 had the best campaign for that.

Also have we seen the falcon yet?

It is certainly a bug. the only way to get a continuation of stats is to change your gamertag from your original tag (ie through the xbox/xboxlive.com)

I changed my gamertag between Halo 3 and Reach and it updated everything, forum tag, stats, gameplay films, and so on to the new tag.

It even updated the gamertag on my Halo 2 history even though it was all done under my original tag.

Creating a new live ID and then syncing the account causes it to start tracking from the day you created the account and then it looks for a hodge podge of history when you link that up to the old profile.

So what should i do to fix?

Does anyone have any experience with this capture card? I've been wanting to get into making content for awhile now, and this appears to be my only option on Mac. Just wanted to know what people thought of it before committing to a purchase.

I believe Black Magic makes a shuttle for Macs (Thunderbolt required I believe).

My laptop specs aren't that great, but should be enough to stream at least 480p just fine and they're better than the requirements listed on the box. My processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.26GHz and I have 4GB of RAM.

Fracas tried with his worse laptop and got about the same results as me.

edit: Speedtest.net shows our upload speed at ~50 Mbps

That actually might be cutting it close. Streaming takes significantly more processing power than capturing to disk. As an example, my laptop is a few years old with similar specs that you listed and if the quality setting or codec is too high or wrong it has trouble with anything higher than 480p (streaming). But it can capture HD no problem.

Untracked

Hey HaloGAF, quick question.
Is it impossible to view recently taken Halo 3 screenshots on the web nowadays?

I'm just going through some old clips in Theater, taking some sweet shots, but can't seem to find them on bnet or waypoint, even if I put them in my File Share via the game.
I know they stopped updating bnet, but I thought File Shares may still work... possibly? Can't see any H3 section on Waypoint...
Am I wasting my time? I'm assuming yes.

Vire

I still don't get what they look like. Like Sphinxes as the name implies? Or something else?
Want to see one, want to fight one.

Warthog isn't exactly indicative of the actual vehicle, so I wouldn't give the name too much credence.

Karl2177

Hey HaloGAF, quick question.
Is it impossible to view recently taken Halo 3 screenshots on the web nowadays?

I'm just going through some old clips in Theater, taking some sweet shots, but can't seem to find them on bnet or waypoint, even if I put them in my File Share via the game.
I know they stopped updating bnet, but I thought File Shares may still work... possibly? Can't see any H3 section on Waypoint...
Am I wasting my time? I'm assuming yes.

Impossible now. Sorry :/

TheOddOne

Blue Ninja account has been hijacked or pigs flew. This much positivity? Something is not right.

Also, the medals looks fuck-ton-awesome.

Edit: Top of the page. I AM KING OF THE WORLD.

GhaleonEB

Cross posting so we have the full post here:

FWIW I'll have direct-feed footage of Ragnarok on IGN on Thursday with commentary from 343 Lead Multiplayer Level Designer Kynan Pearson.

(In fact, we're doing this for all 10 maps every Tuesday and Thursday for the next five weeks, starting tomorrow with...a new map. /shamelessplug)

So a new map tomorrow, and direct feed gameplay on maps every Tuesday/Thursday. Probably with the new maps sprinkled around.

Vire

Would be nice if 343 released some direct feed gameplay of Ragnarok. :/

These two off-screen videos sure are great.

Top Bottom