• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I really don't see DMR's being as big of a problem on Valhalla as most of you are making it out to be.

Blood Gulch had literally no cover for the entire field part of the map. Valhalla has multiple rocks/side entrants/man cannons/etc. to break up sight lines. Add in the fact that you don't get knocked out of scope, and it will make it much easier to fight back from your base. Not to mention this isn't Reach, your Spartan doesn't move like a snail and has no hops.

Add in the fact that the laser will probably still be at the top of the hill, forcing players out of their bases if they hope to have any kind of vehicle action.

I think it'll play fine. Couldn't be any worse than Reach BTB, that's for sure.
Even if this proves to be the case, that's not the only factor to consider. I'm not going to type up everything again, but to brief, I think the map is simply too small for Halo 4's sandbox. It wasn't designed for any of Halo 4's changes, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would work well in Halo 4. At the very least, I find it more likely that I won't get as much enjoyment out of it in Halo 4 as I did in Halo 3.

But this is all assuming that it's indeed a remake and not a reimagining. A reimagining I would more open to, and less worried about.

You know it's going to be Valhalla just because you don't want it to be.

I don't want it to be Valhalla either. Neither does Ghaleon.

So it's going to be Valhalla on that basis alone.
:(

Ghal, this should be in the OP.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Also, La Carta de Oaxaca translates to "The Letter from Oaxaca". Although Carta can mean map, it is almost never used that way and it's almost always used as letter. Not that it means anything, I'm just translating.

How does he stumble upon Oaxaca though? Is he that versed in Mexican geography and culture? Something is fishy

senador

Banned
I think you anti-Valhalla people are being too uptight and taking Halo 3's and putting Halo 4's gameplay in it. They can make Halo 4's version bigger and do other things I've already mentioned. If Valhalla, my hype will go through the roof. I want it.

According the last weeks bulletin, yes this week. The last sentence says,"So, until next week, my friends, when you’ll be seeing a brand new vid…oops. I should probably stop talking now. Until then." Get hyped.

Doesn't mean we get part 2 of the Vidoc this week, we might get a Covie or Promethean weapon vid, or something else entirely.

Even if this proves to be the case, that's not the only factor to consider. I'm not going to type up everything again, but to brief, I think the map is simply too small for Halo 4's sandbox. It wasn't designed for any of Halo 4's changes, so I'm having a hard time figuring out how it would work well in Halo 4. At the very least, I find it more likely that I won't get as much enjoyment out of it in Halo 4 as I did in Halo 3.

But this is all assuming that it's indeed a remake and not a reimagining. A reimagining I would more open to, and less worried about.

Obviously they are going to add in some cave tunnels on the sides to accommodate for Halo 4's sandbox additions.
RIP BATTLE CREEK

kylej

Banned
no. no don't let my beautiful child valhalla have to experience care packages and killstreaks and perks. please lord no

Tunavi

Banned
untitled-51.jpg

Congrats winners.
aren't we supposed to hate IE?

FyreWulff

I think you anti-Valhalla people are being too uptight and taking Halo 3's and putting Halo 4's gameplay in it. They can make Halo 4's version bigger and do other things I've already mentioned. If Valhalla, my hype will go through the roof. I want it.

I'd rather have a map that plays like Coag/Valhalla but isn't them, and evolves the design.

Coag - too open
Valhalla - fixed that, but then the problem of the middle hill showed itself
Hem - literal remake of Coag, way too open
Tempest - fixed the middle hill problem by carving it out and making it a dangerous canyon to hang out in, but had the issue of campable bases (not enough protected back spawns) and limited vehicle paths

You'd want the elements that worked from each successor but a straight up remake of Valhalla sounds pretty eh to me, especially if people have the ability to disable them being knocked out of scope once they take the the middle hill.

Fuchsdh

I'd rather have a map that plays like Coag/Valhalla but isn't them, and evolves the design.

Coag - too open
Tempest - fixed the middle hill problem by carving it out and making it a dangerous canyon to hang out in, but had the issue of campable bases (not enough protected back spawns) and limited vehicle paths

You'd want the elements that worked from each successor but a straight up remake of Valhalla sounds pretty eh to me, especially if people have the ability to disable them being knocked out of scope once they take the the middle hill.

Tempest's issues to me stem from the fact that the bases sort of sprawl across the map and don't seem to have much flow--they've got some protruding walkways to the man cannons, and the center area is a hodgepodge of openings rather than just a room, etc.

Also, a team can get early kills and then hide in the shallows, half-hidden by the rocks behind the (blue?) base. Found that out the hard way in an HBO game.

senador

Banned

Coag - too open

Sure, that'd be cool. Why couldn't they do something like that and still have it be a remake? It just wouldn't be identical, but its not going to be anyway.

I thought the "problem of the hill" was like, what made Valhalla fun. You had to fight to get it, and there were multiple paths there, and your base spawned a Sniper and vehicles. Its not like you were helpless if you lost it.

FyreWulff

Sure, that'd be cool. Why couldn't they do something like that and still have it be a remake? It just wouldn't be identical, but its not going to be anyway.

I thought the "problem of the hill" was like, what made Valhalla fun. You had to fight to get it, and there were multiple paths there, and your base spawned a Sniper and vehicles. Its not like you were helpless if you lost it.

Eh. I'm just tired of remakes, really. Especially after how most of Reach's maps ended up being remakes.

edit: that is to say, I'm sure this is a remake in the vein of Avalanche, and not Heretic, where there will be some flow changes. But I prefer it when people go "what elements did we like from each of these maps? Let's use those but build a new experience around them, and cut out the parts that didn't work"

nillapuddin

Eh. I'm just tired of remakes, really. Especially after how most of Reach's maps ended up being remakes.

now you know..

nobody likes remakes more than me.

but they should stay in forge, with me :)

brilliant minds at 343 should do all the innovative designs they can dream up

FyreWulff

now you know..

nobody likes remakes more than me.

but they should stay in forge, with me :)

brilliant minds at 343 should do all the innovative designs they can dream up

Yup, exactly. Let the community remake the maps for you in Forge. Which they did do, until the Anniversary disc, when we lost all of those remakes for Anniversary Classic :(

nillapuddin

Yup, exactly. Let the community remake the maps for you in Forge. Which they did do, until the Anniversary disc, when we lost all of those remakes for Anniversary Classic :(

i expect the remake group to be absolutely flooded with submissions

idk how ill help organize it all, when all im gunna want to do is make my own lol

but your right

let (the community) do our job, get these things all polished up

give it (x amount of time) and throw up a remake playlist or something, oh yeah, and actually implement it properly

RIP Team Classic
youpieceofshit

willow ve

In other news are they going to let the boys from Rooster Teeth do any map overviews/flythroughs/jokes to introduce Halo 4? Bungie kinda went out of their way to include machinma folk (and larger community folk too) in their games/events. Just wondering if we'll see Grif and Caboose show us where to camp on Map #7
Vahallalanche

Top Bottom