• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Would love to see a snowy remake of Valhalla, just for the nice visuals.

b49824e7.jpg

That makes me miss the snow effects in halo 3 on snowbound.

Computron

While visiting the thing the young people call twitter, I noticed this:

343 media day?

Wow, I just spent the last few minutes trying to pronounce that name.

Still got no clue.

Via the E3 and PAX footage all of the foliage is completely static :/
It was one of my biggest complaints when I saw the E3 demo because it made the forest look absolutely lifeless

Huge ass tanks gon get caught in dem twig-ass trees.

Snow maps might as well be untextured geometry. So damn boring and lifeless.

Lol. I was just looking over a siggraph presentation on how they rendered the sand in that PS3 game Journey.

You would be surprised how much detail there is in the seemingly most simple of things. Snow and sand are pretty hard to get right though.

Sand in Halo 3 was done pretty well, but there is room for improvement. I did think their Snow was pretty boring though.
I liked how they approached animating wind.

feel

Guys, Frankie pretty much outright said it's going to be Valhalla on the Yelp review section for the restaurant. :lol

Screencapped just in case.
For those wondering, this pretty lady is adult video star Bianca Freire, image search her with safesearch off.

Huge ass tanks gon get caught in dem twigs-ass trees.
That's gon be fun.

Lol. I was just looking over a siggraph presentation on how they rendered the sand in that PS3 game Journey.

You would be surprised how much detail there is in the seemingly most simple things. Snow and sand are pretty hard to get right though.

Sand in Halo 3 was done pretty well, but there is room for improvement. I did think their Snow was pretty boring though.

That's interesting, I found something different.

ENHANCE:

iVmXlAtbn8Msz.gif

RATS, it's not Valhalla!

They hid it just above the sliced onions man, where no one would look.
This animation looks sweet.

senador

Banned

I don't think so. We've seen the Watcher do that, but we didn't know what I don't think. So the magic dust is them reviving a Knight. Crazy.

I thought that was already widely known. It's definitely not new to me.

Well you know everything Halo related. :p

I just remember it being talked about not too long ago and people were wonder what the magic dust was. I thought I was staying up to date, but I must have missed someone saying what it was.

Haha thats pretty funny, I saw that from a different video and POV of the same match a few days ago. You could hear him asking about it in the background. :lol

I know they officially revealed this in the latest GI, but it does make me have hope that there will be some stuff we just don't know about yet when it comes to the new enemies.

I really love how the Prometheans are completely different from the Covenant. Knights can spawn Watchers, Watchers can spawn Crawlers and revive Knights, Crawlers can walk on walls and ceilings. It's all very cool. So far the only thing that really disappoints me about the Prometheans is some artistic stuff and the fact that they have a VERY small weapon sandbox.

Doh, I hate it when enemies can revive eachother, new to me!

What spawned a the remake discussion? I had a quick look but can't see the post/ update that people are speculating from.

I really love how the Prometheans are completely different from the Covenant. Knights can spawn Watchers, Watchers can spawn Crawlers and revive Knights, Crawlers can walk on walls and ceilings. It's all very cool. So far the only thing that really disappoints me about the Prometheans is some artistic stuff and the fact that they have a VERY small weapon sandbox.

Definitely agree with everything about how cool and unique they are, but disagree with the weapon sandbox. I mean sure, it's small compared to the UNSC and Covenant in Halo 4, but they've had how many games already full of their weaponry to expand?

I'm sure in Halo 5 we'll have more Forerunner tech. I mean if you think about it, Halo 1 had a Sniper, Pistol, Rocket, AR and Shotgun for the UNSC while the Covenant had a Needler, Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol lol

Definitely agree with everything about how cool and unique they are, but disagree with the weapon sandbox. I mean sure, it's small compared to the UNSC and Covenant in Halo 4, but they've had how many games already full of their arsenal to expand?

I'm sure in Halo 5 we'll have more Forerunner tech at our disposal. I mean if you think about it, Halo 1 had a Sniper, Pistol, Rocket, AR and Shotgun for the UNSC while the Covenant had a Needler, Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol lol

True, but it all feels so normal. None of the weapons really stand out like the Needler or the Spartan Laser, it's all so ordinary. Also why get rid of the Sentinel Beam? Even if regular Aggressor Sentinels aren't in the game why not let the Watcher use it? Of course I may be jumping the gun and Aggressor Sentinels might be in the game. If they aren't I hope they make a comeback in Halo 5 along with the Enforcer.

EDIT: Also the Covies had the Fuel Rod Gun and the Energy Sword in Halo CE, you just couldn't use them. Just felt like pointing that out.

Haha thats pretty funny, I saw that from a different video and POV of the same match a few days ago. You could hear him asking about it in the background. :lol

I know they officially revealed this in the latest GI, but it does make me have hope that there will be some stuff we just don't know about yet when it comes to the new enemies.
Yeah I was not sure if it was or wasn't the same match that CyReN had posted a few days ago, but ironically it is lol. Cool effects from both POVs, imo.

Kibbles

So is this going to be one of those media things where we see things even a day after, or is it going to be embargoed for weeks :S

Havok

So is this going to be one of those media things where we see things even a day after, or is it going to be embargoed for weeks :S
In a video Giant Bomb put up today, they mentioned that the content from the trip to 343 wouldn't be up for a couple weeks due to embargoes. Dunno if that's the case for all outlets.

In Giant Bomb's "I Love Mondays" video they mention information from the media day will be released the week after next.

Edit: Need to refresh :p

Purplemage

Neo Member
A snowy Valhalla remake sounds amazing honestly. I understand the issue with the DMR and how the map would need to be adjusted accordingly but my concern is that Exile seems to be a bit small for a BTB map and it doesn't seem much smaller than Valleyhoo. So with sprint and the normal vehicles would the original map even feel that big? Or would it really be better as a 5v5 map as someone already mentioned?

They could always make the map bigger as everyone has mentioned but I just feel like that of all things would make the map faaaar less recognizable.

Not to overanalyze the clues that Frank has given, but he has emphasized that the map is very large. I just don't see that being Vahalla, as it's not that big, and really won't be very big in Halo 4.

Containment. Ship it.

Also that middle hill is DOMINATED by the Halo 3 BR, which shoots rolls of toilet paper at people. Halo 4 has weapons for men, significant changes would have to be made or whoever controls that hill in the first 30 seconds auto-wins the game.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Not to overanalyze the clues that Frank has given, but he has emphasized that the map is very large. I just don't see that being Vahalla, as it's not that big, and really won't be very big in Halo 4.

Containment. Ship it.

Also that middle hill is DOMINATED by the Halo 3 BR, which shoots rolls of toilet paper at people. Halo 4 has weapons for men, significant changes would have to be made or whoever controls that hill in the first 30 seconds auto-wins the game.

Didn't he just say "not small". Valhalla is not small.

And didn't someone say BS Angel talked about a "tall central structure" in the remake map? That could easily be Valhalla's infamous hill.

And didn't someone say BS Angel talked about a "tall central structure" in the remake map? That could easily be Valhalla's infamous hill.

BS Angel referenced a tall central structure on a map in one of the bulletins, but she never said it was or was not on the remake. That bulletin actually predates Frankie's original tweet about the remake.

CaptainFalconYes.jpg

tall central structure

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
BS Angel referenced a tall central structure on a map in one of the bulletins, but she never said it was or was not on the remake. That bulletin actually predates Frankie's original tweet about the remake.

Ah, wasn't sure where that quote came from.

We need moar reveals, and less guessing.

GhaleonEB

Part of me wants it to be Relic, but that map was totally based on the idea that you can't quite reach the flag and had to take the long way around; now you can just jetpack up and snag the flag. It's a good illustration of the kind of map designs you can't do any longer in Halo, placing the flag tantalizingly out of reach.

In conclusion, death to jetpacks.

Honestly, rather than getting a remake of Valhalla I would rather Halo 4 have its own canyon BTB map, a spiritual successor to Valhalla as Valhalla was to Blood Gulch. But when it comes to down to it, it really seems most evidence is pointing to Valhalla being the remake map..But hey, it may be Waterworks or something... I can see it now, blue side could have flowing dripping water feeding into the center, red side could have some lava flows.. Give it some crazy colorful cave lighting and boom, epic looking epic map.

Basically this, with some lava:

GEtYI.jpg

I believe he said "NOT small" at one point, not being all caps. Could be a coincidence, but I take that as very large map.

Containment/Waterworks/Sandtrap (shudders) confirmed.
Contact everyone for the exclusive story!

Purplemage

Neo Member
We need moar reveals, and less guessing.

Ain't that the truth.

I've got an odd question for those who have played the game. I remember someone mentioning they pulled a sword spree on one of the demos. Has anyone been able to tell if the sword will still be able to give you that double jump style lunge? As in jumping off of an edge and using the sword lunge to kill a jet packer above your head.

FyreWulff

Part of me wants it to be Relic, but that map was totally based on the idea that you can't quite reach the flag and had to take the long way around; now you can just jetpack up and snag the flag. It's a good illustration of the kind of map designs you can't do any longer in Halo, placing the flag tantalizingly out of reach.

Solution: vertically scale the Relic base so it's out of the reach of jetpackers.

Then make the map not so damn open otherwise it's going to be a bloodbath

Ain't that the truth.

I've got an odd question for those who have played the game. I remember someone mentioning they pulled a sword spree on one of the demos. Has anyone been able to tell if the sword will still be able to give you that double jump style lunge? As in jumping off of an edge and using the sword lunge to kill a jet packer above your head.

Couldn't say for sure, but I would assume so. The lunge of the sword appears to act pretty much the same as in past games, so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Purplemage

Neo Member
Couldn't say for sure, but I would assume so. The lunge of the sword appears to act pretty much the same as in past games, so I don't see why that wouldn't work.

Fantastic. I love love love jumping off an edge only to turn around and lunge right back at my attacker. Most people don't see that coming when you're running away from them with the sword.

I loved Relic too, but it was a one-sided objective map, and we don't currently know for sure that H4 is going to have any one-sided objective gametypes, do we?

Also, I second the death to jetpacks sentiment.

Top Bottom