• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

DesertFox

This map comes to mind.

1760101666711766.JPG

She said the structure has 3 levels, from what I recall Relic has 1 (plus ground floor underneath)

Also BS Angel never said she was talking about the remake, just a map.

EDIT: Beaten

WATERWORKS!

PS. the central structure in Waterworks has three levels, for all those that need it to fit into the three levels mumbo jumbo.

When I read that bulletin I immediately thought of Waterworks and have been hoping for it since. Assuming she was talking about the remake.... I'd be happy with Waterworks or Containment.

Gunnerdude

Neo Member
Didn't he just say "not small". Valhalla is not small.

And didn't someone say BS Angel talked about a "tall central structure" in the remake map? That could easily be Valhalla's infamous hill.

WATERWORKS!

My Theory....

Mexican food menu....
Frankie has troubles with Mexican food....
The resulting smell drives folks to the bathroom to throw up...
Frankie has left the smell there too!
Endless vomiting ensues and the wretching causes people to cry....
Waterworks... BAM!

PS. the central structure in Waterworks has three levels, for all those that need it to fit into the three levels mumbo jumbo.

DesertFox

I think if Sandtrap never had the Elephants there would be absolutely no redeeming qualities about that map - It was a dust bowl with some giant lego blocks thrown in...

imo it's the worst BTB map in the whole series but... to each his own.

But it does have Elephants...

lol exactly what I'm getting at - I think they're the sole reason people like the map. I'll admit I had a blast with the Elephants too. I played a match on it recently (the Elephant-less variant) and it was just incredibly boring.

Omni

Completely unrelated to anything being talked about, but one thing that has always bothered me about Halo is.... the grass. Or lack thereof.

I was playing Bad Company 2 tonight and I noticed how good of a job the environment artists did of putting all the foliage everywhere around the maps. Halo's ground has always been one big flat texture with little sprouts of grass that seem like an afterthought.

It's a campaign shot, but this
bfbc2game20120911224008.png

looks so much better than this...
Halo-reach-helmet.jpg
awesome-ass sky box aside. It's just something I never understood. Tempest in Reach was a nice step, but I want more!

And that concludes my weekly rant of things that annoy me about Halo. Now to focus on the positives... I really, really want a Waterworks remake. I had so much fun playing that game in customs with my brothers.

"because he's mailing these himself, this particular giveaway is US-only. "
:(

lol exactly what I'm getting at - I think they're the sole reason people like the map. I'll admit I had a blast with the Elephants too. I played a match on it recently (the Elephant-less variant) and it was just incredibly boring.

Sandtrap without Elephants is like CTF without any flags.

GhaleonEB

Completely unrelated to anything being talked about, but one thing that has always bothered me about Halo is.... the grass. Or lack thereof.
They want you to be able to see grenades and weapons with ease. Valhalla actually had pretty dense vegetation, but they made it all very short or flat for that reason. Drop a grenade in your first pic and you'd never find it.

How is that stuff handled in the game the first pic is from?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's with people loving Sandtrap? I was not a fan. I think the color palette did it. All brown everywhere.

A remake with some color might help.

Omni

They want you to be able to see grenades and weapons with ease. Valhalla actually had pretty dense vegetation, but they made it all very short or flat for that reason. Drop a grenade in your first pic and you'd never find it.

True. But with this new HUD system that shows where weapons are spawning, plus the grenade indicator, I don't think having a decent amount of foliage would hamper anything like that. Sure that example I posted is more than I'd like in a Halo game, but at the very least there needs to be more than there is now, IMO.

I'm not saying it looks terrible... but it isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing as is.

I'd take floating grenades/weapons or some sort of indicator if it meant having proper foliage. Make it look as natural as possible then adapt, not the other way around (at least in this case). At this point it's my only real complaint about Halo 4's visuals.

Striker

They could always make the map bigger as everyone has mentioned but I just feel like that of all things would make the map faaaar less recognizable.
Making it larger would change the whole purpose, if it's a remake. A remake like Wizard to Warlock, or Blood Gulch to Coagulation. I am still in strong belief that not just the DMR would derail the hill-to-base dynamic here some people persistently love, but the addition of sprint since. Halo 3's speed was fine for it but the Spartans are a bit faster now due to sprint and with the unlimited sprint mod, it only makes getting front one spot to another that much faster, and that map was never large to begin with. And this is suppose to be 4's BTB map. Get something large.

Also: center hill, caves on the surrounding sides, symmetrical base structure - the map you should be talking about is Containment, not Valhalla. Did everything better, and somehow allowed a Scorpion to work on it. If Bungie didn't oopsy themselves and leave a hole in the roof, Banshees would have been on it.

GhaleonEB

I'd take floating grenades/weapons or some sort of indicator if it meant having proper foliage. Make it look as natural as possible then adapt, not the other way around (at least in this case). At this point it's my only real complaint about Halo 4's visuals.

Halo 4 does use those floating indicators at times, though I don't think they are on everything. It could get pretty cluttered in heavy areas where there are lots of weapons and grenades scattered around; you'd have a dozen or more indicators bunched up.

I thought the series has done a decent job of hitting the sweet spot (Valhalla, Standoff) though I agree the pic above is rather sparse.

I'm pretty sure when we went back to film halogaf radio in Seattle Duncan just filmed me drunk.

I hope and I also do not hope this is the case.
Yeah, that was a pretty terrible idea on my part. Not sure why I thought we could do a podcast after so much booze. Got a few chuckles from watching it when I got home, but it's not something I'm going to upload anywhere.

-------
Fmfaz.jpg

Wow. That edited picture hurts!

The video I have of that moment is precious. I'll only upload if I have the consent of both parties though - I'm not in the business of blackmail/embarassment.

FyreWulff

Battlefield also doesn't have to worry about splitscreen. Sure, you can just not render or render less grass on splitscreen, but now you're in a situation where a 2-man box has a notable advantage over single-screen if every weapon in the grass is clear as day to them but the single screener can't see it at all.

Risen

Go to bed last night in one OT, check forums for the first time today and we are 8 pages into the next OT... well done.

Top Bottom