• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Beta Update Program Announced

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
After MCC, is anyone willing to pickup Halo 5 on day one? (even with that beta going smoothly)

I am gonna buy it twice. Collector edition and also Xbox One limited edition console.

Halo 5 beta was awesome.

Ricky_R

Read the title and thought this was a necro bump. Then noticed the "Today" on OP post's date.

shockedface.gif

Kssio_Aug

After MCC, is anyone willing to pickup Halo 5 on day one? (even with that beta going smoothly)

Different opinions about this question from what I can see.

But, I won't. I won't buy Halo 5 until Halo MCC gets fixed and everyone tells me that Halo 5 is running EXACTLY how it was suppose to be.

I simply don't trust 343i, and besides I got my extra month "compensation" (that I sort of consider like a "pass" for the ODST DLC later this year), I don't think its any fair to sell this horribly broken game to anyone, and dont give them the same compensation.

So, since the game is still broken, and since I don't think 343i is being neither capable to solve it, and neither fair to their consumers and Halo fans, I won't support them giving my money to Halo 5. And that's what I would consider the right choice.

E92 M3

For all we know MS was being told by 343 everything was gonna be perfect

I think that sometimes as well, but it's hard to think that such a well structured business doesn't have checks and balances. I can't comfortably say that Microsoft was oblivious to everything because 343i said everything will be okay. It has to be a mix of things. Maybe one day we will know the truth.

NickFire

Having beta's for content updates / dlc isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, and knowing myself I'd jump at the chance to participate for some games. But this sounds like a beta of the game that should have shipped from day 1 (whenever that should have been), but didn't because the big players were more concerned with taking consumers money and proclaiming how great the one's exclusives were, than actually shipping a working game. I cannot accept that an update designed to make the game work is the functional equivalent of dlc.

So in short:

Betas of unreleased games = ok;
Betas of new content coming soon = also ok; and
Betas of the fixes for a game that shipped in a broken state = never ok.

FeD.nL

What in the hell is wrong with MS naming this a beta. I thought they learned their lesson during E3 2013 regarding messaging. Seriously of every word you can choose you choose the word you most definitly do not want this product to be associated with. It blows my mind really.

Yeah. Halo 4 was a smooth roll out. Halo 5 beta was smooth. Halo MCC was made by other companies.

Plus, the issues that were exposed in the release of the MCC would have probably been exposed by a public beta...

TomShoe

Banned
Plenty of people, which is absolutely shocking to me.

I should wait for reviews to see how it runs.

I'm probably going to preorder it though. Beta ran fine for me.

Call me stupid, but I will be definitely. Why? Because to me, Halo isn't all about the multiplayer.

I'm a lore whore, so yes.

Yeah. Halo 4 was a smooth roll out. Halo 5 beta was smooth. Halo MCC was made by other companies.

Plus, the issues that were exposed in the release of the MCC would have probably been exposed by a public beta...

Hell yeah.

I am gonna buy it twice. Collector edition and also Xbox One limited edition console.

Halo 5 beta was awesome.

lawd.gif

If you're not part of the solution...

jem0208

lawd.gif

If you're not part of the solution...
Honestly, I don't see why the state of the MCC should affect my purchase decision for Halo 5. Obviously people should be wary about buying the game without first finding out of it works. However if it turns out that the game runs fine why shouldn't I buy it?

Stormus

Hey, if that's how you want to try and rationalize it, more power to ya.

Its beta testing for a patch, to make sure it works before releasing it to the public. It sounds pretty nice and transparent to me.

Maybe because I used to play lots of MMOs which did stuff like this, idk, but it sounds good to me.
MMOs need it because a lot of patches adds new content that needs to be tested. It's not the same at all. At least this means the're putting a lot of effort to fix it. The game should've been delayed...

Kssio_Aug

Was anything I said factually incorrect?

Except the part that Halo MCC wasnt touched by 343i (I don't believe it), nothing that I'm concerned. However they sold a horribly messed game, did not recalled it, kept selling it broken and only gave the compensation for those who bought it till a certain date, even though people that buys it today still suffers from the same core issues since day one. There's also the fact that this is the major MS franchise, and should not ever be released at this state, so it baffles me how that is still that broken after more then two months from release and it doesnt seem to be completely fixed anytime soon.

Of course I won't tell anyone to not buy it. The maximum that I can do, and that I have the right to do, is to not recommend doing it. But people swallowing it all as there is nothing wrong, is what seems to justify why games such as Assassin's Creed, Battlefield 4 and DriveClub (besides new, one of the biggest Sony IP for 2014) were released that much broken. People simply don't care to pay the same price again for the same company at the next game, putting those games on the top charts again. Be it with high scores (even when the game is essentially broken) or be it with high sales, always.

dwells

Was anything I said factually incorrect?
  1. Halo 4 had a number of well-documented issues at and after its launch. Missing features, balance problems, slow update responses, massive population dropoffs, and the infamous "14 Day Buy and Play" lie.
  2. 343 did have a major role in Master Chief Collection, so trying to offload the blame to everyone else is ridiculous.
  3. Halo 5's beta wasn't without matchmaking issues either, especially for parties. Lots of people experienced slow searching, stuck lobbies, crashes, returns to menu, improper skill matching, and so on. Yes, it was a beta and things are to be expected, but it was definitely one of the rougher public betas. So saying everything went smoothly is a bit inaccurate.

Whoa, that's a crazy sounding change. Wonder why they're doing that.

Huh I wonder if they did...

I've been arguing for weeks that this was the issue. Frankie said that everything was related and I've been theorizing that is what went wrong. MCC is based off of the new 2015 Multiplayer system. They rolled it out and it didn't work. The system worked in testing but not in use. This new multiplayer system is why the H5 Beta was planned in the first place. H5 will use this new system, and it makes no sense to run a beta on a multiplayer with the 2014 system when it will need to use the 2015 system. MS asked them to migrate to the 2015 system late in MCC and it did not work. H5 Beta used a tweaked version, but it still had some growing pains. Things learned from H5 Beta are now going to be rolled into MCC.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146233040&postcount=128

The fact they are doing this Beta setup makes me even more suspicious that I'm correct.

I also put up a Reddit thread on it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rl1qa/sdk_leak_and_thoughts_around_mcc_issues/

I've been arguing for weeks that this was the issue. Frankie said that everything was related and I've been theorizing that is what went wrong. MCC is based off of the new 2015 Multiplayer system. They rolled it out and it didn't work. The system worked in testing but not in use. This new multiplayer system is why the H5 Beta was planned in the first place. H5 will use this new system, and it makes no sense to run a beta on a multiplayer with the 2014 system when it will need to use the 2015 system. MS asked them to migrate to the 2015 system late in MCC and it did not work. H5 Beta used a tweaked version, but it still had some growing pains.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146233040&postcount=128

The fact they are doing this Beta setup makes me even more suspicious that I'm correct.

I also put up a Reddit thread on it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/2rl1qa/sdk_leak_and_thoughts_around_mcc_issues/

Which if that is true than Microsoft still pushed a broken product out the door to sell consoles and succeeded. At the expense of the fans who helped get them where they are using the franchise that got them there as a prop.

Which if that is true than Microsoft still pushed a broken product out the door to sell consoles and succeeded. At the expense of the fans who helped get them where they are using the franchise that got them there as a prop.

Completely agree. I think the most mind boggling part is that they didn't run a test out in the wild. Frankie has even hinted that it worked in internal testing which is not a test in the wild.

Except the part that Halo MCC wasnt touched by 343i (I don't believe it), nothing that I'm concerned. However they sold a horribly messed game, did not recalled it, kept selling it broken and only gave the compensation for those who bought it till a certain date, even though people that buys it today still suffers from the same core issues since day one. There's also the fact that this is the major MS franchise, and should not ever be released at this state, so it baffles me how that is still that broken after more then two months from release and it doesnt seem to be completely fixed anytime soon.

Of course I won't tell anyone to not buy it. The maximum that I can do, and that I have the right to do, is to not recommend doing it. But people swallowing it all as there is nothing wrong, is what seems to justify why games such as Assassin's Creed, Battlefield 4 and DriveClub (besides new, one of the biggest Sony IP for 2014) were released that much broken. People simply don't care to pay the same price again for the same company at the next game, putting those games on the top charts again. Be it with high scores (even when the game is essentially broken) or be it with high sales, always.

Thats why we cant have nice things anymore. Nobody cares about broken games since the market is saturated with them. I bet if people bought a TV that didnt work properly for 3 months they would think twice about buying from that manufacturer again. But I dont really care what other do with their money. To each there own i guess.

1. Halo 4 had a number of well-documented issues at and after its launch. Missing features, balance problems, slow update responses, massive population dropoffs, and the infamous "14 Day Buy and Play" lie.
  2. 343 did have a major role in Master Chief Collection, so trying to offload the blame to everyone else is ridiculous.
  3. Halo 5's beta wasn't without matchmaking issues either, especially for parties. Lots of people experienced slow searching, stuck lobbies, crashes, returns to menu, improper skill matching, and so on. Yes, it was a beta and things are to be expected, but it was definitely one of the rougher public betas. So saying everything went smoothly is a bit inaccurate.

1. Halo 4, despite that thread, worked and got people in and out of games and kept party members together.

2. 343 was more of an overseer for MCC. As I've said before, they should have done a public beta.

3. Halo 5 Beta worked a whole hell of a lot better than the MCC and 343 has 11 months to work out the kinks. It would take a disaster for the game to come out and be as broken as the MCC.

watership

1. Halo 4, despite that thread, worked and got people in and out of games and kept party members together.

2. 343 was more of an overseer for MCC. As I've said before, they should have done a public beta.

3. Halo 5 Beta worked a whole hell of a lot better than the MCC and 343 has 11 months to work out the kinks. It would take a disaster for the game to come out and be as broken as the MCC.

This.

I dont agree with that at all. I still had issues entering games with my friends, in fact everytime we tried, we gave up after restartibg the build several times and went back to MCC. You couldnt back out of searching when your party member randomly disappeared, and it took 5 minutes or more to find a match. The only thing that seemed functional was the ranking system.

I dont agree with that at all. I still had issues entering games with my friends, in fact everytime we tried, we gave up after restartibg the build several times and went back to MCC. You couldnt back out of searching when your party member randomly disappeared, and it took 5 minutes or more to find a match. The only thing that seemed functional was the ranking system.

Like I said. Both are using the 2015 system which is why they had similar issues. The beta had information from MCC to help make tweaks but it still isn't right

mcfrank

Halo 5 was anything but a smooth beta if you were joining as a group. Or cared about the rankings working properly or being an accurate reflection of skill.

dwells

1. So the bar for Halo 4 is just that the matchmaking worked? I'm not sure that counts for a whole lot when there was almost no one who wanted to play it. Your original argument was that Halo 4 was a "smooth" rollout, which, as explained by that thread, was not really the case.
  2. 343 was responsible for managing the project, coordination, and the online matchmaking system (arguably the most broken of everything). They clearly failed in development, testing, and over two months of patching.
  3. Once again, that's a pretty low bar to set, and not consistent with your original argument.

Cdoogs

Neo Member
I feel like this was a great chance to put Halo back into the spotlight and they've already completely blown it past the point of repair. Sucks...

Top Bottom