• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo The Series (2022) | Official Trailer 2

eNT1TY

If you were able to consume the halo story via several campaigns across multiple games there is little reason to not be to do the same with an adaptation via this show,, it's not like the source material is some paragon of heady sci-fi. Will this be some iteration of "women of color crying in space" like The Expanse or Foundation? possibly but that's not the only thing it will be. If ur skurd of "woke" the Halo games were woke before woke was in and it didn't bother anyone then. You wanna see shit blow up in space or in lower orbit or sub-atmospheric comabt and the Chief shooting shit? I'm sure this show will have you covered.

Leyasu

Banned
I will wait for all the episodes to launch then binge watch it. I am not expecting too much though.

But fucking lol, scroll down the page in any thread remotely related to Microsoft or Xbox, see the avatar and name and you just know that they are concerned or hate it before even reading their post.

I am either clairvoyant or they are just straight up trolling at every opportunity.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Listening to Grace Randolph's review, it doesn't sound like this will be the must have series that Paramount+ needed to get their own spot in the overcrowded streaming services market.

This thing about not getting the videogame's creators involved always gets me.
Must all Hollywood directors/producers be so overbearingly narcissistic that they think they must push away the source material and do their own thing instead? They don't always do this for books, so why do this for videogames?

Fbh

Looks ok.
Haven't read any reviews but for some reason I get the feeling those were most of the "money shots" and much of the show will be people in rooms talking.

This shit is going to be like a lot of those marvel / dc series. Bunch of teen crap with a big spoon of woke sprinkled on top of it. I'm not enthusiastic.

Same.
I expect it to be like Hawkeye or Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Watchable but forgettable

Lognor

Banned
Isn't that reflective of only the first two episodes? I wouldn't even consider those proper reviews, frankly.

This trailer looked good, and certainly impresses the production budget better than the first trailer. I'm keen to see what they've cooked up. If it's really, really bad, then 343 Industries can can breath easy knowing they're no longer the worst thing to happen to Halo.
Yeah, that's a good point. The Expanse started off very slowly, but it has become my favorite sci fi show ever. If reviews were only based off those first two episodes it might have scored similarly. Now my expectations for Halo are not as high. I'm just looking for something "fun" to watch

I don't think this will be good. The more I see the less interested I become. At least it looks like they tightened up the graphics on level two.

Looked like a bunch of worms in the background grabbing stuff in a scene a character was walking by a window.

That's likely the Mgalekgolo, not the flood. Hunters are actually just a big pile of worms working together as a colony.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
As much as I find the presenter's YouTube voice annoying this Beyond The Trailer review is basically how I feel about the Halo show in so many ways before even seeing it.

She always points out if there isnt enough women, lgbt, or POC in movies

CuNi

I dig the military side of the story, where we saw the UNSC, Spartans and Marines get into action etc.
I absolutely disliked the part that felt like it tried to copy Star Wars Episode 1-3 where it was focusing on random people, how hard life is in that universe and potentially politics.
CGI on the Elites looked weird but the San'Shyuum looked awesome in that one shot. Also liked that they showed the Hunter worms without the armor.

kiphalfton

Didn’t watch the whole video, but from a quick scrub it looked like a 1:5 ratio of showing Master Chief vs some rando character IDGAF about.

Also awful choice for Cortana…

gP3Ua4jndF4a8Q6n2UAfeE.jpg

Didn’t watch the whole video, but from a quick scrub it looked like a 1:5 ratio of showing Master Chief vs some rando character IDGAF about.

Also awful choice for Cortana…

gP3Ua4jndF4a8Q6n2UAfeE.jpg

That's Jen Taylor, she plays Cortana in the game (also Princess Peach and Toad in Mario games)

Unfortunately despite casting the best person for the role, the art direction seems to have dictated she looks like Data from Star Trek wearing a Romulan shirt instead of a holographic AI.

Regarding 1:5 ratio. Last time I bothered looking the rumor was Master Chief is just a supporting character and that character with the worst haircut in history is the actual protagonist who saves the day.

Polygon sucks but are in the Xbox camp so that doesn't sound good.

I pay extra for Dolby Vision/Atmos so I am ready.
To be fair to the show, nobody has seen more than just the first two episodes.

Surprised to see anyone say this looks cheap. My first thought was the VFX looked expensive. You want to see cheap, go check out some current day, Bruce Willis sci-fi movies. I'm optimistic about this.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'll wait and see, it looks like it could be good. Those shitting on it so early are being closed-minded and I'd argue, disingenuous.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Chief's armor looks really good but that's just about the only thing that inspired any confidence in me. Everything else was pretty much "I hope when I see more of this thing or character in the show it's not terrible".

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Still looks better than The Witcher show. As long as they don't stray too far from Halo, it will be entertaining enough.

She always points out if there isnt enough women, lgbt, or POC in movies

Someone didn't watch the video. She says this -

Paraphrasing - This show is all female characters, which is a weird choice given...most of the people who play Halo are male. Almost all of the main characters on this show are female. Good representation is a balancing act and this show has NO balance. Re-establish the brand in a new medium before you decide to expand the appeal of the brand. It's not like Halo doesn't have strong female characters, it certainly does. It's weird.

She is spot on. I feel this is where 343 miss so much of their core audience, the balance of the Halo audience is very male. Sure tip that balance but 343 consistently apply too much weight and pressure to the high side of the scales given their audience of the last decade plus.

Why did they even fuck with the blue team to silver team? Kelly and Linda were already part of blue team. To be further along the inclusive scale?

McCheese

What odd casting, they probably patted themselves on the back for it but having MC as the only white male ends up just reinforcing the typical white saviour trope due to lack of (actual) diversity in the rest of the cast.

I feel like they are cowboy bebopping this by not really reading the room and giving fans what they want.

Corndog

Banned
Someone didn't watch the video. She says this -

She is spot on. I feel this is where 343 miss so much of their core audience, the balance of the Halo audience is very male. Sure tip that balance but 343 consistently apply too much weight and pressure to the high side of the scales given their audience of the last decade plus.

Why did they even fuck with the blue team to silver team? Kelly and Linda were already part of blue team. To be further along the inclusive scale?
Look at where they are based. Highly liberal area. I think to many times people just surround themselves with likeminded people and create echo chambers. Then they wonder why their products don’t succeed.

McCheese

Because many modern TV shows think all the central emotional story beats should go to female characters and male characters just play derivative caricatures

The pendulum has swung too far the other way, but women had to put up with this shit for decades so can’t really complain without coming off as fragile. It’s a tricky one to discuss, but watching that trailer it immediately stands out just how unbalanced the casting is, and how little sense it makes given the context of making super Spartans

Yoboman

The pendulum has swung too far the other way, but women had to put up with this shit for decades so can’t really complain without coming off as fragile. It’s a tricky one to discuss, but watching that trailer it immediately stands out just how unbalanced the casting is, and how little sense it makes given the context of making super Spartans
Plenty of shows have had a good balance. Even shows in this genre like Battlestar Galactica

sol_bad

I'll be cancelling my Funimation sub when I get back to Oz so will probably Sub to Paramount+ to check this out. Not overly excited though, I agree the majority of the show is probably going to be people talking in small scale sets.

isual

just finished watching episode 1 with my discord friends; i was apprehensive because of all the trash talking here and on /tv/, but it is not bad, nor is it great. it is inbetween at being decent enough to be a sci fi show (or sci fi halo show) for the mainstream audience.

chief removing his helmet is understandable because the actor wants facetime. and the asian girl is for that 'human' element that the audience can follow.
i really like the violence and gore the first episode portrayed. really good

Top Bottom