• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC |OT2| 3V4 Industries

Fuchsdh

I was just playing the game like normal.

I've heard that you can leave the area and come back and fix it, otherwise you have to restart. It's caused by the Lich not properly exploding for whatever reason. There are some speed run strategies you can do to immediately board the Lich, saving some time and preventing the glitch from happening, but it was a problem in the 360 version of the game as well, it's not a MCC-unique issue.

Stoffinator

I've heard that you can leave the area and come back and fix it, otherwise you have to restart. It's caused by the Lich not properly exploding for whatever reason. There are some speed run strategies you can do to immediately board the Lich, saving some time and preventing the glitch from happening, but it was a problem in the 360 version of the game as well, it's not a MCC-unique issue.

Pretty sad this was never fixed. I tried everything but restarting the chapter.

Akai__

The Prophet of Regret boss battle is kicking my butt on legendary, even with Bandana + Scarab skulls... Darn it.

Yeah, that one is a little hard. Some tips:

Ignore all enemies and only focus on Regret. After you hit him and it forces you off, watch were the Sword Elites are and jump to one of the top floors. You can also force a checkpoint by walking outside the room, after almost every round you hit him.

Montresor

Yeah, that one is a little hard. Some tips:

Ignore all enemies and only focus on Regret. After you hit him and it forces you off, watch were the Sword Elites are and jump to one of the top floors. You can also force a checkpoint by walking outside the room, after almost every round you hit him.

Thanks! Will give this a try after work tonight.

NOKYARD

Thanks! Will give this a try after work tonight.

The reason you ignore enemies is that they will respawn a new wave after a few of them are killed. It is impossible to clear them. Only kill Grunts if they are in your way when trying to go up the side stairs, or if they are about to toss a Grenade at you. Run away from anything else.

The Regret battle has been completed without firing a shot on Legendary.

Fuchsdh

The reason you ignore enemies is that they will respawn a new wave after a few of them are killed. It is impossible to clear them. Only kill Grunts if they are in your way when trying to go up the side stairs, or if they are about to toss a Grenade at you. Run away from anything else.

The Regret battle has been completed without firing a shot on Legendary.

I found in my run-through that it was worth it to kill the plasma-rifle wielding Elites, because the replacements that spawned in had the chance of being sword Elites instead (and thus less of a chance that you get nailed in the back, easier to dodge.)

Fuchsdh

Drat. Was following Eli's speed run guide for Delta Halo, but when I get to the end there's no enemies to kill. Must've messed up a load zone, but it looks like I hit them all via the video.

Drat. Was following Eli's speed run guide for Delta Halo, but when I get to the end there's no enemies to kill. Must've messed up a load zone, but it looks like I hit them all via the video.

Yeah, you probably messed up the one with the Ghost and the valley. That one is a bitch to get right.

woodland

There was a tweet Dan Ayoub responded to about any word on MCC.

Get your hopes up for something in the works
, something that will be a disappointment.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, you probably messed up the one with the Ghost and the valley. That one is a bitch to get right.

Went through the valley and went down to where he did in the ruins (got a really bad checkpoint to survive in the process). Might still be possible to salvage, although really the ghost launch is pretty damn easy so I might just restart.

Not looking forward to Regret either. My attempts to god launch have been rather poor.

Oozer3993

6fXYyS0.jpg

I will enjoy this for the day or two it lasts until other people find out about the relatively recently discovered bridge Banshee grab.

Redownload the MCC to see what changed. I haven't played since the game first came out. It's such a tragedy that it was released in such a state as I'm having so much fun in H2A. The Relic remake is gorgeous and so is Halo 3 ODST. Halo 5 really can't compare in terms of gameplay mechanics and map set.

Montresor

I plan to have Halo 2 completed on legendary tonight. Absolutely loving it... Halo 2 was and still is my favourite ever Halo game. This anniversary remaster is impeccable.

But damn MCC... if it's not one thing it's something else with this game. For some reason my Dankey Kong achievement (kill 1000 brutes) has been completely stuck on 78%. Just finished the Gravemind mission though (first time in the campaign where you fight brutes) where I'm sure I killed at least 50 brutes... should've been good for a minimum 5% bump.

There's like a hundred little things that don't work with this game. All I can do is *shrug*

Redownload the MCC to see what changed. I haven't played since the game first came out. It's such a tragedy that it was released in such a state as I'm having so much fun in H2A. The Relic remake is gorgeous and so is Halo 3 ODST. Halo 5 really can't compare in terms of gameplay mechanics and map set.

You're right, because 5 has better gameplay mechanics. :p

Map set can go either way, while 5 has some maps I don't care for at all, there are a handful of maps I really like (Truth, Coliseum, Fathom, Stasis, Eden and Molten).

The only problems I still experience in MCC would be the low population = long search times and random crashing. I wish they'd fix the crashing, nothing they can do about population, besides games with gold or a PC release. They need to fix the technical problems before that though.

Montresor

Speaking of crashing, MCC kept crashing and quitting to dashboard when I tried to load my next Halo 2 level (Uprising). Thankfully a hard console restart fixed the problem. I don't want to pile on this game but I feel I need to post this stuff for posterity.

You're right, because 5 has better gameplay mechanics. :p

Map set can go either way, while 5 has some maps I don't care for at all, there are a handful of maps I really like (Truth, Coliseum, Fathom, Stasis, Eden and Molten).

The only problems I still experience in MCC would be the low population = long search times and random crashing. I wish they'd fix the crashing, nothing they can do about population, besides games with gold or a PC release. They need to fix the technical problems before that though.

I've played both and I just don't like the clambering, aim down sight mechanic, or the ground pounding. The maps are truly atrocious in my mind too. H2A is so much fun. I love the tweaks they made to the maps.

I've played both and I just don't like the clambering, aim down sight mechanic, or the ground pounding. The maps are truly atrocious in my mind too. H2A is so much fun. I love the tweaks they made to the maps.

Aim down sights is essentially cosmetic compared to scoped weapons of the past. As for automcatics, it reduces the spread marginally, but automatics are vastly different from Halos of past anyway, as they are actually useful.

Montresor

I'm finally finished Halo 2 on legendary. Loved the heck out of it.

It's still my favourite Halo and I'd rate them as follows:

Halo 2: 5/5
Halo Reach:4.5/5
Halo ODST: 4.5/5
Halo 5: 4.5/5
Halo 3: 4/5
Halo CE: 4/5

The Anniversary Remaster for Halo 2 is particularly exquisite. It's a masterful re-working of the graphics / cutscenes / music. Miranda Keyes looks amazing in every scene she's in.

Halo 2 is such a great sequel compared to Halo 1. The first game laid the foundation for the Halo lore, introducing you only superficially to the Covenant, and giving you a primer on the Flood, Halo installations, and Monitors like 343 Guilty Spark.

Halo 2 comes around and gives you a deep understanding of Covenant culture, especially with respect to their religious zealotry, their devotion to The Great Journey, their obsession with The Oracle. It's fascinating how their society has chosen mystical / mysterious names for ordinarily mundane items. The Library's Index is the Sacred Relic. The Halo is the Sacred Ring. Master Chief is the Demon. Etc...

One of my favourite parts of the game (one which highlights a consistent strength of the Halo franchise, from Halo CE leading all the way up to Halo 5), is the notion of conflict occurring independent of Master Chief / UNSC / humans. In Halo 1, the Flood often fight against the Covenant as you traverse through each level. And the Flood fight against the Sentinels. In Halo 2, once you start fighting on the High Charity spaceship for the first time, you witness a civil war unfolding between Brutes and other factions in the Covenant (namely against Elites, with some Grunts/Jackals/Hunters on your side, and some not).

The best ever Halo moment for me will be the very end of the Quarantine Zone level.You play as The Arbiter and you're tasked with finding the Library's Index. As you get further into the Library, you hear UNSC marine chatter. You see UNSC weapons strewn about the floor. The Flood scavenge UNSC weapons and vehicles and use them against you. A second story is unfolding in the background as you fight your way across the Flood - there's evidence throughout the level that the humans are beating you to the punch and will get to the Index before you. When that first dawned on me I was incredibly impressed. And after the end of the level my two favourite cutscenes play - first, Johnson and Miranda find the Index and are then captured, and second, the Gravemind has a fascinating conversation with the Chief, the Arbiter, a second monitor (Penitent Tangent), and the Prophet of Regret... It reminded me of the conversation with Sovereign in Mass Effect.

velociraptor

Is it odd that I am not overly thrilled with Halo 1? The level design is awful. Almost every area looks the same, and I found the flood quite annoying. Just felt like the only reason to play and complete the game was for the story. Having the same 'issue' with Halo 2 too - the level design is an improvement, I like the fact you can dual wield, environments look more interesting, as is the greater variation in foes, but I just don't find it particularly fun for some reason. The cutscenes are probably my favourite part of the game - again, the only reason I am currently going through the campaign is the story and the lore. Guess I'm just somewhat disappointed after all the great 'hype' that has been with these games since they were released.

Honestly, Halo Reach > Halo 4 (surprised me given the hate) > Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo 1

Will play Halo 5 once I complete Halo 2. I just hope the gameplay mechanics feel more fun than the first two games.

I don't think anything will ever top Halo Reach. Top credit to 343 for the remaster though. The visuals are absolutely stunning for both Halo 1 and 2.

MCC playlist update -- 7.27.2016

Hey all,
Happy to provide some details of today's update: First off, Halo 3 Grifball Throwback has been added, with a good variety of classic game types and variants from H3 MM (GrifballUpThere, Aerial Grifball, Mayan Grifball) and maps across both Foundry and Sandbox.

As a note, we're seeing that a few of the maps / variants aren't always loading properly, so we're having the team here take a look and possibly remove a few items that are causing trouble - you may see some weirdness as a result, but do know that the team is working on it as we speak. Next up, the team also removed Rumble Pit as it was the one playlist that far and away the weakest in terms of numbers.

Also, as previously mentioned, the playlist ordering has been updated to reflect which playlists are the most popular. This should give you an idea of which playlists will find matches the fastest, and which might take a bit longer. Here's the new order:

Team Slayer
Big Team Battle
Infection
Halo 3 Grifball Throwback
Halo 3
Team Doubles
Team Action Sack
Halo 4
SWAT
Team Snipers
Halo 2 Classic
Team Halo 2: Anniversary
Team Hardcore
Halo: Combat Evolved

Note that all of these playlists, even down to Halo: CE (especially because it's 2v2) and Team Hardcore (because it is open to all search ranges) are still finding a healthy number of matches - don't let the low placement on the list make you think they aren't generating games.

Lastly, we've widened the search range for a few ranked playlists just a bit. While these playlists are seeing a healthy number of matches, we want to ensure that players on all sides of the spectrum continue to find matches. The search windows for the following playlists have been increased slightly:

Team Halo 2: Anniversary
Team Doubles
Halo: CE
Halo 2 Classic
Halo 3

As a note, Halo 4 was already set to a wide search range, and Team Hardcore will remain at the "max" window, allowing all ranks to match one another (connection permitting).
The team here is keeping a close eye on playlist health and will continue to make more adjustments as necessary.

Thanks everyone - we'll continue jamming on what might be causing a few errors with a few of the Grifball Throwback variants at the moment.

Cranster

Banned
I got to Gravemind on my Halo 2 LASO run and that damn lift to the detention block screwed me with an instant death checkpoint and forced me to restart the level.

It's not getting another patch, people really need to stop asking. Outside of the (extremely random) occasional playlist update, they're not going to touch it again.

I_want_to_believe5.jpg

Montresor

Is MCC designed to give you a zero multiplier when going for par scores? At a certain point? I.E. after spending too long in a level or dying too much?

My brother and I were going for the Library Par Score achievement. We reached the last "hold your position while the monitor opens this door" room but we kept dying, dropping down from 24.5k points to 23.5k points.

Eventually we stopped losing points but we kept dying and then noticed we weren't gaining anymore points either. Multiplier in the competitive score card showed zero.

We had to give up anyway because we weren't good enough to get past that room. 60 minutes wasted.

But for my sanity I need to make sure that what I witnessed was by design and NOT another glitch.

Fuchsdh

Is MCC designed to give you a zero multiplier when going for par scores? At a certain point? I.E. after spending too long in a level or dying too much?

My brother and I were going for the Library Par Score achievement. We reached the last "hold your position while the monitor opens this door" room but we kept dying, dropping down from 24.5k points to 23.5k points.

Eventually we stopped losing points but we kept dying and then noticed we weren't gaining anymore points either. Multiplier in the competitive score card showed zero.

We had to give up anyway because we weren't good enough to get past that room. 60 minutes wasted.

But for my sanity I need to make sure that what I witnessed was by design and NOT another glitch.

This was all in one go, not a save/quit situation? And you didn't have any non-scoring skulls on?

Fuchsdh

Correct. All in one sitting. No skulls turned on at all (no scoring skulls, no non-scoring skulls).

Legendary splitscreen co-op with my brother.

Only thing I can assume is that if you don't finish the level it doesn't record scores properly. (I don't recall ever seeing scores for DNF levels in previous games.)

Karl2177

In my experience, sometimes it'll randomly decide to stop scoring. Other times in non Halo 3 missions it'll count time incorrectly and drop from the 1x modifier to 0x after double the 1x time. By that I mean if it switches to 1x at the hour mark, then it'll drop to 0x at the 2 hour mark.

Fuchsdh

In the future, I'd strongly suggest normal or heroic with a skull or two rather than Legendary if you want your Par Scores, as well :)

NOKYARD

Correct. All in one sitting. No skulls turned on at all (no scoring skulls, no non-scoring skulls).

Legendary splitscreen co-op with my brother.

I believe that once you reach a certain time the score stops counting in MCC scoring missions.

Also, there are tonnes of 2-player-only shortcuts like partner jumping through doors before they fully open. Battles in the large circular area surrounding the Index Platform Chamber can be avoided. Look them up.

Also, Pistol/Shotgun are the only weapons you need on The Library.

I got to Gravemind on my Halo 2 LASO run and that damn lift to the detention block screwed me with an instant death checkpoint and forced me to restart the level.

I think Halo has a system that if you die again and again almost instantly after restarting a checkpoint then it'll revert to the previous checkpoint. I've had that happen to me in several Halo games but I can't remember if it definitely happens in Halo 2.

Cranster

Banned
I think Halo has a system that if you die again and again almost instantly after restarting a checkpoint then it'll revert to the previous checkpoint. I've had that happen to me in several Halo games but I can't remember if it definitely happens in Halo 2.
It won't help in the LASO (Legendary All Skulls On) playlst though as the Iron Skull is enabled which restarts the level when you die.

Montresor

Only thing I can assume is that if you don't finish the level it doesn't record scores properly. (I don't recall ever seeing scores for DNF levels in previous games.)

In my experience, sometimes it'll randomly decide to stop scoring. Other times in non Halo 3 missions it'll count time incorrectly and drop from the 1x modifier to 0x after double the 1x time. By that I mean if it switches to 1x at the hour mark, then it'll drop to 0x at the 2 hour mark.

I believe that once you reach a certain time the score stops counting in MCC scoring missions.

Seems like it's by design and I'm glad to hear it - honestly. I really wanted it to be by design because my brother and I felt pretty defeated once we saw that multiplier go down to zero. We didn't want it to be because of a glitch.

In the future, I'd strongly suggest normal or heroic with a skull or two rather than Legendary if you want your Par Scores, as well :)

I've actually given up on Library Par Score, haha. I've completely exhausted all the achievements I want to get from Halo CE now. I finished off my Keyes par time and finished 3 Halo CE Playlists. Phew! Finally done.

For Halo 2 I only have to do an Uprising Par Time and 3 Halo 2 Playlists and I'll be done! For Halo 4 just three or four misc. achievements.

Halo 3 and ODST... I still need to do full legendary playthroughs for those games. But I'm feeling close to being able to retire the game. It's been a huge journey heh. I hope it won't take more than 2 months of on and off play.

One of my bigger issues with this game is the people that play it in matchmaking, I run into so many idle players or players that just quit the game. :(

Montresor

I sat down at 3pm today and loaded up Sierra 117 (first level of Halo 3) on Legendary with another neogaffer (online co-op).

We played for seven and a half fucking hours. At 10:30pm we finished Halo (final level in Halo 3). It felt amazing. I think the last time I played that long consecutively was September 2009... when Arkham Asylum came out. I played that 12 hours and gave my 360 a red ring. I remember that being right before the fall semester at my university started. Since starting work full time I haven't done that and god damn it feels good to have done it today!

We ended up getting a bunch of achievements we weren't expecting:

Crow's Nest Par Score
Floodgate Par Time and Par Score
The Covenant Par Score

It took us 2 hours and 10 minutes to beat The Ark without using a vehicle. We lost 30 mins because of a forced preview program update/restart. And a work thing on my end made me step away from my controller for a bit too during The Ark. But we ended up getting the achievement. Good stuff.

IbukiLordSA

Is now a good time to jump into this collection? I can get it for pretty damn cheap and I am not interested in online at all. Never played Halo before and was wondering if now would be a good time to go through the games.

Fuchsdh

Is now a good time to jump into this collection? I can get it for pretty damn cheap and I am not interested in online at all. Never played Halo before and was wondering if now would be a good time to go through the games.

Yep. The campaigns are absolutely worth the money and there's few major glitches left.

Akai__

Congrats! Did you do the LASO achievements legitimately?

Nice Akai! Congrats!

Thanks. <3

Nope. We were stuck on Cortana for Halo 3 and just completed Shutdown for Halo 4, but then the famous patch came and deleted all the progress. That same patch glitched the Checkpoints for others and that's where the Checkpoint distribution began and we said fuck it. Still had to complete the last missions of CE and 2, which was brutal enough. I honestly wouldn't have done those two otherwise, if it weren't for the Checkpoints.

Fake Edit: We completed ODST on 4 player LASO, though. That was by far the easist LASO achievement.

Top Bottom