• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hannibal S3 |OT| Man Destroys God. Hannibal Eats Man. Hannibal Inherits The Earth.

It's not like Solo is alone in his dislike of the direction the first half of this season took. Even the AV Club and Sepinwall, who have given good reviews to this season, said it has strained their patience and desire for plot developments.

I'll always appreciate this show's willingness to experiment with its formal elements. Much of the time, it works and is brilliant, but it does misfire from time to time. I would never call the first half of this season "bad" but that doesn't mean I wouldn't criticize it, either. Actually, more than S1 or S2, I want to rewatch S3 to see how I feel about it in retrospect and see if it really does earn all the time it spends exploring the psycho-emotional state of the characters.

-griffy-

Banned
I think that dinner scene was the first time we've seen Hannibal actually enjoy something since the beginning of season 2. He just couldn't help but be amused by the absurdity of the whole situation at the dinner table. I think he was legitimately impressed.

The other time was the beginning of season 2, with Will imprisoned, and Hannibal is called in to assist the FBI. They just give him full access and are showing him exactly how they investigate things and he's so tickled at all the new things he's learning that will help him evade capture.

The Red Dinner I don't think he enjoyed, aside from finally revealing himself to Alana with the pantry line. He was in his element but he didn't enjoy destroying all his "friends" in that way, especially Will.

I have to say, I don't know how much this says about me rather than the show itself, but this hour, and this half season really, evoked so much sexual metaphor. I mean aside from the obvious stuff with Mason and the eel and all that. Will and Hannibal have had this kind of tender sexual relationship without any sex involved (going as far as the trippy dream three-way with the wendigo and Alana involved last season).

Both Will and Hannibal have just been experiencing this sexual frustration since the Red Dinner, with Hannibal lashing out at times and impulsively stabbing guests with an ice pick, and Will being so confused about his feelings he allows himself to be seduced by a woman who throws him off a train.

Then I keep coming back to the sawing into Will's skull, with the slow motion and the rhythmic moving of his head up and down. I mean, come on, I can't be the only one who draws this connection, right? :p

The catharsis achieved when Alana finally frees Hannibal from his shackles in the pig pen, and his rising, naked hero shot can only be described as orgasmic, and then stepping out into the night with the hammer, covered in blood is like a post-sex cig break. I'm gonna borrow these gifs posted by Anton Sugar earlier, cause look at this shit:
tumblr_nrqj5jNolB1r0g0c4o4_250.gif
tumblr_nrqj5jNolB1r0g0c4o5_250.gif

Will and Hannibal's whole (non)sexual relationship brings to mind The Americans, oddly enough. Specifically the tooth extraction scene from season 3, which likewise was a perfect encapsulation of Elizabeth and Phil's relationship with no dialog, acting as a sex scene with no sex involved.

Ashok

Banned
I feel like the only person here who loved all of Season 3 and didn't find any of it a waste. :"(

Imho, 'Digestivo' was just incredible. One of the best hours of television I've seen in a logn time, but all of its momentum would have been gutted if you removed any of the previous six hours. I felt Bryan's conclusion to Will and Hannibal's personal stories really demanded the preceding dreamy and fairytale-like stories in Florence. And it's strange but just as the detour from Italy made me start to really miss the classic and well polished FBI procedural elements from S1+S2, I have a feeling that Season 3B is going to make me miss Italy.

-griffy-

Banned
I feel like the only person here who loved all of Season 3 and didn't find any of it a waste. :"(

You're not the only one! The only thing I really didn't care for was Will and Chiyoh's train ride. It seemed like they just didn't have anything for those characters to do for that portion of the story and the plot was stretched a bit thin. Then Will is pushed from the train and there isn't any real consequence to that as he shows up at the beginning of the next episode. I think they just really loved the idea of Will having matching/mirrored facial injuries with Hannibal for their reunion, so they just contrived a way for him to get beat up :p

But I've loved the dreamy, more psychological bent the early part of the season took as the characters tried to grapple with the aftermath of the s2 finale. The heightened, more stylized elements are what has made this show so interesting and unique for me in comparison to other shows of the type, so them going all in on that stuff for a bit was perfectly okay with me.

Turin

Banned
I have to say, I don't know how much this says about me rather than the show itself, but this hour, and this half season really, evoked so much sexual metaphor.

Well, it probably says as much about you as it does about me that I haven't seen sexuality as having anything to do with their relationship.

I see it as an incredibly intimate bond between two soulmates who have no sexual interest in the other. I find it very refreshing to have a story like that(regardless of gender).

-griffy-

Banned
Well, it probably says as much about you as it does about me that I haven't seen sexuality as having anything to do with their relationship.

I see it as an incredibly intimate bond between two soulmates who have no sexual interest in the other. I find it very refreshing to have a story like that(regardless of gender).

Right, what I mean is their whole relationship reads like sexual metaphor even when they don't have any literal sexual interest in each other.

Turin

Banned
Right, what I mean is their whole relationship reads like sexual metaphor even when they don't have any literal sexual interest in each other.

Perhaps it really does.

I've just never identified it that way. I suppose I'm not made to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-griffy-

Banned
Perhaps it really does.

I've just never identified it that way. I suppose I'm not made to. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah and that's fine! It just struck me this last episode, then I made the connection to The Americans and I couldn't stop thinking about it in that way. Again, it may say more about me than anything :p

There's so much to talk about in this episode, but the cinematography was top-notch. Really nice use of color (red, especially).

I also absolutely love the Dracula-esque image of Hannibal appearing on the shadows of Alana's room.

LaneDS

There's so much to talk about in this episode, but the cinematography was top-notch. Really nice use of color (red, especially).

I also absolutely love the Dracula-esque image of Hannibal appearing on the shadows of Alana's room.

I actually find that a rare visual misstep for the show, as I think it's pretty goofy looking.

I actually find that a rare visual misstep for the show, as I think it's pretty goofy looking.

Different strokes! I loved it. Reminded me of Coppola's visuals in his adaptation.

I also loved a lot of the edits. I think my favorite was the transition from Margot + Alana holding the baby (and realizing what they must do) to the extreme closeup of Alana's eye directly into Mason waking up from surgery.

The CU on Alana's eye is her final "This is it--I can't observe anymore, I need to participate" moment. Reminded me of some of the CUs of Furiosa in Fury Road. Beautifully done.

I really, really wish we could get some lighting breakdowns for certain scenes. These dudes just know how to light Mads the perfect way based on what the scene needs.

jerry113

Banned
I started this series a week ago and just caught up today.

The stylistic shifts this series experiences through the course of the last two seasons and now has really messed with my head.

Fuller' could've easily taken his time with the material, using more episodic killer-of-the-week format like early season 1... But the last half of season 2 and season 3 almost ditched that format completely. I'm impressed.

Blader

I started this series a week ago and just caught up today.

The stylistic shifts this series experiences through the course of the last two seasons and now has really messed with my head.

Fuller' could've easily taken his time with the material, using more episodic killer-of-the-week format like early season 1... But the last half of season 2 and season 3 almost ditched that format completely. I'm impressed.

Well the original plan was for a 7-year show... either he saw the writing on the wall from the ratings or got bored of his own pacing, but I think this season will end up including about 3 years of material from that original plan.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Will spit Cordell's CHEEK out.

DOES THAT MAKE HIM A QUITTER!?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
God dammit, I was so excited when I got that my mind went back to an earlier episode.

That's ok, I don't wear pajamas anyway.

So I haven't posted at all in this thread since I binge watched the first two seasons and am only now caught up, so excuse me if this has been asked before (as I'm sure it has)

Are the novels/movies as good as the show? This show is really my first exposure to Hannibal as a character as I've never seen the movies. I never really considered them, since I just kinda figured they were standard slasher flicks where the villain happens to eat people. If the novels have a similar tone to the show then I'll for sure have to dive into those as soon as I can. These characters really are fantastically captivating, and of course the imagery is incredible.

After catching up, I dunno what's more surprising; the fact that this show ran for three seasons on NBC or the fact that it's likely not to be picked up by anyone else. It's just way too good for network television.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not alone there. i think im going to do a S3 rewatch before this Saturday.

edit:
So I haven't posted at all in this thread since I binge watched the first two seasons and am only now caught up, so excuse me if this has been asked before (as I'm sure it has)

Are the novels/movies as good as the show? This show is really my first exposure to Hannibal as a character as I've never seen the movies. I never really considered them, since I just kinda figured they were standard slasher flicks where the villain happens to eat people. If the novels have a similar tone to the show then I'll for sure have to dive into those as soon as I can. These characters really are fantastically captivating, and of course the imagery is incredible.

After catching up, I dunno what's more surprising; the fact that this show ran for three seasons on NBC or the fact that it's likely not to be picked up by anyone else. It's just way too good for network television.
Absolutely. Expect the movies to be very, very different than Hannibal though. The books are closer in line to the show but still very different from my recollection (been about 10+ years since i read my last Harris novel).

Well first off, the movies are no where near the show in terms of visuals or music or general presentation. Some of them are well made, yes, but Hannibal the show is in a completely different realm with its presentation.

As for quality, Silence of the Lambs is the most famous for a reason, it's great. To this day it is still a great film, though there are aspects of it that are clearly straight out of the 90's. As a whole though, it's very well made across the board and definitely worth watching.

Everything else is a little iffy. Red Dragon has some endearing elements, Hannibal too, but to a lesser degree. I can't speak for Manhunter (I really need to find that one). Red Dragon has Ralph Fiennes doing some good stuff, Hannibal has more Anthony Hopkins and a very well hidden Gary Oldman, but neither are anywhere near the quality or intrigue of the show or Silence of the Lambs. I'd say you should definitely watch Silence of the Lambs and then consider watching the others, if only for your own curiosity and education.

I think most here will agree though that the show is kind of the best adaptation of the source material in just about every way.

I am with you there 100%. I thought that all of season 3 has been amazing and really enjoyed the initial few episodes for the extreme surreal, dreamlike qualities (though I am glad it drifted out of that dream).

Monocle

I appreciate the nice response to my last post.

Solo driving by and Monocle elegantly ripping his axle out from the undercarriage is one of my new favorite things with this thread.
Haha, thanks.

Well first off, the movies are no where near the show in terms of visuals or music or general presentation. Some of them are well made, yes, but Hannibal the show is in a completely different realm with its presentation.

As for quality, Silence of the Lambs is the most famous for a reason, it's great. To this day it is still a great film, though there are aspects of it that are clearly straight out of the 90's. As a whole though, it's very well made across the board and definitely worth watching.

Everything else is a little iffy. Red Dragon has some endearing elements, Hannibal too, but to a lesser degree. I can't speak for Manhunter (I really need to find that one). Red Dragon has Ralph Fiennes doing some good stuff, Hannibal has more Anthony Hopkins and a very well hidden Gary Oldman, but neither are anywhere near the quality or intrigue of the show or Silence of the Lambs. I'd say you should definitely watch Silence of the Lambs and then consider watching the others, if only for your own curiosity and education.

I think most here will agree though that the show is kind of the best adaptation of the source material in just about every way.

I am with you there 100%. I thought that all of season 3 has been amazing and really enjoyed the initial few episodes for the extreme surreal, dreamlike qualities (though I am glad it drifted out of that dream).
All of this is accurate IMO.

AoM

I haven't seen Hannibal or Hannibal Rising, so I can't speak about their quality, but Manhunter and Silence are great. The 2002 Red Dragon adaption can (and should) be skipped. Red Dragon (the novel) is definitely worth reading, but don't go in expecting the type of relationship Will and Lecter have in the show. I still need to read Silence, but I just don't find the character of Clarice (and her relationship with Hannibal) interesting at all, especially compared to Will('s).

Edit: As for the show as a faithful adaption, Petersen is still the closest to Graham in the novel. Dancy's Graham is just beyond messed up, I guess for the sake of style. I do think that Fishburne is the best Crawford. I don't mind the gender change of Lounds, but Lang's portrayal is the perfect scumbag. I haven't read enough Harris to say anything about Lecter.

BBboy20

I may see Hannibal Rising anyway despite how wretched everyone describes it as.

Seen bits of Manhunter through out the years.

Never read the books.

I know what must be done.

This is my design...

:p

I haven't seen Hannibal or Hannibal Rising, so I can't speak about their quality, but Manhunter and Silence are great. The 2002 Red Dragon adaption can (and should) be skipped. Red Dragon (the novel) is definitely worth reading, but don't go in expecting the type of relationship Will and Lecter have in the show. I still need to read Silence, but I just don't find the character of Clarice (and her relationship with Hannibal) interesting at all, especially compared to Will('s).

Edit: As for the show as a faithful adaption, Petersen is still the closest to Graham in the novel. Dancy's Graham is just beyond messed up, I guess for the sake of style. I do think that Fishburne is the best Crawford. I don't mind the gender change of Lounds, but Lang's portrayal is the perfect scumbag. I haven't read enough Harris to say anything about Lecter.

I love both portrayals but I've been waiting until we get to Manhunter on the show before I compare the two completely. Obviously, it is problematic to compare them at all because they such different beasts but for the sake of funsies, yeah, I think, atm, I'd have to say Petersen is still the King. Such a brilliant, understated performance. My man. Oh, but Fishburne is the best Crawford by a long way. So so glad to finally see him get a chance to
kick Hannibal's ass a few epps back.
. One of the best Crawford moments in all Hannibal fiction thus far.

No sleight on Dancy, btw. He's had to go through some pretty extreme shit over 2 and a half seasons and he's done it marvellously.

Blader

Very lttp on this but I only recently learned Hugh Dancy and Claire Danes are married, which made me laugh. What a perfectly (fictional) dysfunctional pair.

It was his cheek.

No pyjama party for you En Ex.

For some reason I read this in Verger's voice.

Very lttp on this but I only recently learned Hugh Dancy and Claire Danes are married, which made me laugh. What a perfectly (fictional) dysfunctional pair.

For some reason I read this in Verger's voice.

Imagine if they ever took their work home with them. I fear for their kid lol.

carlsojo

Episode 7 was great, but I feel like you could have cut down so much of this season into a solid two hour season premiere and then moved on directly to Red Dragon. First hour: Eurotrip, Second hour: Digestivo. You could probably cut out Chiyoh entirely.

Monocle

Anyone know why elucipher no longer writes on Hannibal? Loved her/his examinations.
I think she was disappointed that Abigail and Beverly were ultimately victims. From her writings, she seemed invested in Abigail's agency in particular. I remember her commenting on her Tumblr that Hannibal was still a good show, but not the one she wanted.

I wish she hadn't destroyed all of her episode writeups and meta comments. (Maybe they're just private now?) They were the best Hannibal analyses I've ever read. I can't even find the damn things archived anywhere. A real loss.

I think she was disappointed that Abigail and Beverly were ultimately victims. From her writings, she seemed invested in Abigail's agency in particular.

I wish she hadn't destroyed all of her episode writeups and meta comments. They were the best Hannibal analyses I've ever read. I can't even find the damn things archived anywhere. Very disappointing.

I figured it had to be something related to some of the women of Hannibal.

That's a shame. Pretty childish to completely remove ALL write-ups.

Monocle

I figured it had to be something related to some of the women of Hannibal.

That's a shame. Pretty childish to completely remove ALL write-ups.
Yeah, I mean, I can understand feeling alienated by a show. I believe an artist should have control over their work to a reasonable extent. All she really did was prune her personal blog. It's just such a shame to deprive the fan community of her insight. She saw layers in Hannibal that I didn't know existed, and the way she articulated the symbolism and themes was really second to none. Her appreciation of the show massively increased mine.

Maybe I should message her sometime and see if there's some possibility of recovering those writings and hosting them somewhere. I doubt she'd be receptive to that idea though.

T.O.P

Banned
Waited a bit before starting this and i just watched the first two episodes

I forgot how fucking beautiful this show looks, mesmerized....also, i was expecting a threesome, dude was cute

Why must you torture me Hannibal

I'm also slapping myself because in trying to avoid any possible spoilers i missed the chance to catch the shootings in Florence (2 hours drive, i'm sad)

I think she was disappointed that Abigail and Beverly were ultimately victims. From her writings, she seemed invested in Abigail's agency in particular. I remember her commenting on her Tumblr that Hannibal was still a good show, but not the one she wanted.

I wish she hadn't destroyed all of her episode writeups and meta comments. (Maybe they're just private now?) They were the best Hannibal analyses I've ever read. I can't even find the damn things archived anywhere. A real loss.

How unfortunate and kind of immature.

I wonder what she thinks of Season 3 after witnessing the actions of Bedelia, Alana, Chiyoh, and Margot.

Kuroyume

Banned
Just wanted to mention how much I loved that Baltimore was still in winter when the show returned.

tumblr_nrpsvhwXFv1qlsjvgo2_540.gif

tumblr_nrr8coWcoN1tp1njco2_500.gif

tumblr_nrpsvhwXFv1qlsjvgo1_540.gif

To me, snow, dreariness, gloominesss, are what I equate with Hannibal. Seeing it on the show again was pleasing to me. :)

Top Bottom