• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hard times for Kansas and its schools as economic 'experiment' creates gaping budget

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Kansas/Gov Brownback fuckery continues

In February 2015, three years into the supply-side economics experiment that would upend a once steady Midwestern economy, a hole appeared in Kansas’ finances.

To fill it, Gov. Sam Brownback took $45 million in public education funding. By April of this year, with the hole at $290 million, Brownback took highway money to plug it. A month later, state money for Medicaid coverage went into the hole, but the gap continued to grow.

Today, the state’s budget hole is $345 million and threatens the foundation of this state, which was supposed to be the setting for a grand economic expansion but now more closely resembles a battleground, with accusations and lawsuits flying over how to get the state’s finances in order.

The yawning deficits were caused by huge tax cuts, championed by Brownback and the Republican-dominated Legislature, that were supposed set the economy roaring. They didn’t.

The budget shortfalls have been felt across the state, particularly by public schools, and have embroiled the Kansas Supreme Court along with state lawmakers and the governor.

Through it all, Brownback has repeatedly pledged his faith in the free market.

“We’re going to continue to grow the economy,” Brownback has said in response to questions about each new revenue shortfall.

His opponents in the Legislature say Brownback’s mantra has failed the state and carries a stern lesson in theory versus reality to other states contemplating the same free-market ideas.

“It’s estimate and pray on the income taxes,” said state Sen. Laura Kelly, ranking Democrat on the Ways and Means Committee. “Even with significant changes, we won’t see personal income receipts [increase] until 2019.”

An ideological war over the way Kansas collects and spends money has erupted in the capital of Topeka and spilled into every corner of the state. After five years of an economic crusade that has left its originator, Brownback, as the least popular governor in the nation, Kansas has been forced to use the settlement from a national tobacco lawsuit to cover the hole in its general fund budget — money that was supposed to go to an early childhood education endowment.

It was a risk Brownback ran when he overhauled the state budget based on an interpretation of fiscal conservatism that dramatically cut personal income taxes.

The state would thrive, he pledged, because the tax cuts would help keep businesses and smart, young Kansans in the state, not fleeing “to Houston, or Dallas, or Chicago or somewhere else.”

“It will pave the way to the creation of tens of thousands of new jobs, bring tens of thousands of people to Kansas, and help make our state the best place in America to start and grow a small business,” Brownback wrote in 2012. “It will leave more than a billion dollars in the hands of Kansans. An expanding economy and growing population will directly benefit our schools and local governments.”

It hasn’t worked out that way.

Revenue from income tax collections plummeted 22%. A separate repeal of taxes on partnerships and limited liability companies meant the surrender of 30% of state revenue.

A projection issued Nov. 11 puts Kansas in a bind next fiscal year, when state revenue estimators project receipts to amount to $5.5 billion, down 7.4% from this year’s estimate.

Unwilling to scale back the income tax cuts, the state did increase the sales tax. Now Kansas has the second-highest sales tax in the nation, and such reliance on sales taxes has saddled the state with additional problems: Deflation is dropping the prices of goods and the taxes the state collects on them.

Tired of the bleating horn of bad news, in September Brownback silenced a quarterly economic evaluation of the state that counted employment, unemployment, personal income and energy production, and consistently illustrated the state’s plunging revenues. He had done so before, in August 2015, when he ordered a halt to a semiannual economic report.

“A lot of people were confused” by the reports, said Nicole Randall, a spokeswoman for the Kansas Department of Commerce.

Brownback’s ultraconservative allies in the Legislature paid the price for their loyalty in the August primaries — when moderate Republicans won while running against Brownback and for increases in school funding — and again on election day, when Democrats picked up 12 seats in the House.

“It's been disastrous,” said Burdett Loomis, professor of political science at the University of Kansas. “Brownback has said he will work with [new, moderate] legislators, but I don't know if anyone believes him.”

The budget battles have also brought in the state Supreme Court. In 2014 the court ruled that disparities in public funding of education violated the state constitution and ordered a lower court to evaluate how much the state should invest in public schools.

Conservative groups supporting Brownback responded by pushing five Supreme Court justices into brutal, expensive retention races to keep their seats. The targeted justices were retained by voters and are expected to rule this month on the adequacy and fairness of the public education system in a landmark case, Gannon vs. Kansas, filed by four of the state’s poorest school districts.

Should the Supreme Court rule against the state and the adequacy of its $6-billion yearly expenditures on education, it will force Kansas to pay $500 million or more for school upgrades across the state, including in economically depressed areas.

Places like Columbus.

Here in the state’s southeast corner, the poorest area in Kansas, coal mines died and gave way to paper mills, which shuttered as American business went paperless. Today, nearly 30% of families with children in the region receive food stamps. In Pittsburg, the largest city in the area, with about 20,000 residents, the downtown is pocked by shuttered storefronts.
more:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-kansas-hard-times-snap-20161121-story.html

ezrarh

So let me guess - Democrats are going to take over briefly at some point, forced to raise taxes and solve problems, then everybody gets pissed and boots them out because the problems aren't fixed quickly enough and taxes got raised? Although the more likely option is they keep voting in Republicans.

It's going to suck for a few years, but who knows, maybe the people who voted Trump into office will learn from their mistake and vote against him and his party in the future.

If they were that smart they wouldn't have voted for Trump in the first place.

They'll continue to blame others while voting for whoever tells them what they want to hear.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
So let me guess - Democrats are going to take over briefly at some point, forced to raise taxes and solve problems, then everybody gets pissed and boots them out because the problems aren't fixed quickly enough and taxes got raised? Although the more likely option is they keep voting in Republicans.
MODERATE Republicans, yes. The 2nd major party (after Mega Republicans) in our 2 party system.

Classic economic anxiety cycle, am I right?

pompidu

If you live in Kansas, I'd start getting out and move to a blue state. GOP gonna continue fucking you over. Or maybe the people want to keep getting fucked over.

Only hope they have is a conservative Democrat managing to win. Louisiana was saved at least for a short while from the brink of disaster.

Kansas is probably fucked for a while.

Dineren

Banned
One of the few bright spots of this past election was that we retained those judges. Still doesn't change the fact that this state was stupid enough to reelect Brownback. I really wish I could afford to leave this state.

DJ_Lae

Yep.

That's what's going on here in Alberta at the moment, borders can't disrupt that sort of cycle.

It's going to suck for a few decades, but who knows, maybe the people who voted Trump into office our children will learn from our mistake and never let these people in office again.

ftfy

Too bad by then climate change will really be fucking things up so it won't matter.

pompidu

How do people let this happen. Dude is basically trying to kill people in his own state. How the fuck do you not get angry at this dude.

Eidan

Are there term limits for governor in Kansas? Are these people dumb enough to actually re-elect this man again? I mean, how utterly does one have to fail before these idiots just stop shooting themselves in the foot?

Alucrid

Banned
The Laffer curve will kick in any minute now.

Any... minute...

Sorry, you misheard. They said laughter curve

QV8fC0K.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
Imtnot getting these posts.

Kansas has been a red state for a while. Brownback and his heavily red legislature decided to make Kansas an economic science experiment--and it failed.

This not comparable to the national election.

As noted in the article, they voted in Democrats and moderate Republicans only when stuff is really dire, long past the point when it was obvious this was a terrible way to go.

Those politicians are the ones that get stuck with the wreckage when the architects of the failure finally get booted out. But then the same people tasked with fixing problems get blamed for not doing enough because they had to climb out of a deep dark hole.

Im not getting these posts.

Kansas has been a red state for a while. Brownback and his heavily red legislature decided to make Kansas an economic science experiment--and it failed.

This not comparable to the national election.

In national elections, yes. But Kansas has regularly elected Democratic governors. The two governors who preceded Brownback were Dems (Parkinson took over for Sebilius when she was named Secretary of HHS). And if you go back in history, Kansas has alternated from Republican governors to Democratic governors since 1965.

Tugatrix

Why do people think that to have great economy you just need taxes tweaks? For economic growth other thinks are much more important like knowledge, skilled labor, resources, technology and infrastructures like roads and rails. Don't fall for politicians that spend their time aiming at taxes

not when messes with people pockets, see how people pretty quickly turned against them

People I know that support him for the reason I stated above still support him and refuse to believe the actual evidence that he took a big ol' dump on the Kansas economy.

It is good to hear that many in Kansas are getting wise to this nonsense.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember reading about his fuckwit proposals 4 years ago and I feel bad for the individual residents, well, not the ones still supporting Brownback. This is pretty much the climate change struggle on a smaller scale. People in denial about the reality of the world make poor decisions and slowly kill themselves, and not realizing their mistake until it's staring them in the face.

And maybe not even then.

A very vindictive part of me wants more states to copy Kansas and fail spectacularly since that's the only way they learn, apparently.

I know people who think that the reason the Kansas experiment has/is failing is that he didn't cut spending enough.

This shit is never going away. They'll elect a Democrat or moderate Republican, who will stabilize things, then get booted out for someone even worse than Brownback. That's how it goes.

Tired of the bleating horn of bad news, in September Brownback silenced a quarterly economic evaluation of the state that counted employment, unemployment, personal income and energy production, and consistently illustrated the state’s plunging revenues. He had done so before, in August 2015, when he ordered a halt to a semiannual economic report.
Cunt

Keasar

It's going to suck for a few years, but who knows, maybe the people who voted Trump into office will learn from their mistake and vote against him and his party in the future.
You think they have the capacity to learn? :p

Rejecting facts, deny reality and believing in blind faith is how they got there in the first place. Republicans are the oil spill in the vast sea of intellectualism, they can't mix and when they do get in there it just causes another ecological disaster.

They've been thinking that Trickle Down economics is gonna work for over 30 years with no pay-off!

mackattk

If it doesn't work the first, second, third,etc. time, try and try again.

Tax cuts for the rich is bound to work sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom