• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a computer game ever made you cry?

mr2xxx

Banned
I don't think it's possible while actually playing a game. Sure you can add a sad written story like Lost Odyssey or a depressing cut scene but I don't think that counts. What I'm talking about is the active part of the game, what makes a game a game. Think of sports, when you're in the middle of it you are just reacting to a situation. Its not until the end of the game that the situation really hits you.

Bentles

Wind Waker. Nothing about the end was exceptionally sad and yet there I was crying rivers. Maybe it was a combination of
leaving the king to die in the old Hyrule and seeing Link set off once again leaving sister and gran behind
that got me. Who knows, honestly.

Spoiler tagged because everybody is still playing this.

Mario007

This will sound very cliched but death of Aerith in FFVII got me teared up, I was like 11 or 12 at the time. Then came the fury when I realized they killed off a character that I've been training as part of my party.

Also the ending of FFX, and got some goosebumps when Tidus finds out that Yuna has to die.

No other games bar FF have really have much of an effect on me story-wise.

Just beat Chrono Trigger for the first time last night (been meaning to get around to it for nearly 17 years), and it ALMOST made me cry. I nearly lost it during the Robo/Lucca farewell bit (in the ending where you defeat Lavos after resurrecting Chrono).

LCfiner

No, I never came close to crying during a game.

But I remember feeling genuine melancholy when I finished Grim Fandango. I was a little sad that I had to leave that world behind.

It was one of the few times I felt any emotion aside from "fuck yeah" with a game.

Garcia

Of course, although not to the point of shedding tears actually. I just usually get teary eyed with certain stories, especially on RPGs.

Out of memory I remember I got teary eyed upon beating FF8 and watching the ending cutscene. Also right before finishing Tales of Legendia, when a certain character just "dies". There's plenty more examples with touching endings, so yeah, it's usual for me to be moved by certain scenes.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well, since you especially said "computer games"... i guess when i first beated Minesweeper at Expert?

Jasoco

Banned
Beyond Good and Evil
when the lighthouse is destroyed

Ouendan 1, 2 and Elite Beat Agents in the "sad" level for each game.

XeroSauce

Katawa Shoujo on a route or two.

Uhm..Bastion got me shaky. I didn't cry but it felt some god damn strong feels.

Top Bottom