• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HATSUNE MIKU Project DIVA X |OT| Miku X Scarlett Johansson is happening!!!

yyr

I still don't understand why the notes in this game are so damn small.

The Dreamy Theater releases on PS3 set the standard. Nice, large notes with drop shadows, so you could see everything clearly even against bright backgrounds.

PD Arcade/Future Tone/FT PS4 were all based on the same engine that DT originally was, so they all have the large notes and drop shadows.

When Project Diva f came out on Vita it removed the drop shadows, but since the screen wasn't so big anyway, it didn't make a huge difference.

When PDF came out on PS3, the drop shadows stayed gone, but the notes got even smaller. As in, they took up a smaller percentage of the screen size, as compared to the same game on Vita (or the previous games). F 2nd did not fix this. That behavior, plus the fact that the game was running at 30fps as opposed to the Dreamy Theaters' 60fps, made the PS3 versions of F and F 2nd almost unplayable for me; I basically play those games exclusively on Vita, and when I felt like playing Project DIVA on my TV I went right back to Dreamy Theater 2nd or extend.

From playing the demo, it appears to me that PDX keeps the same small note size on PS4 as PDF/F2nd had on PS3, and still no drop shadows. As a result, I will never, ever buy PDX on PS4. Not to mention, I already bought Future Tone (heck, I pre-ordered).

It is just baffling to me. Why can they not fix this very simple problem?

If I play PDX at all it will be on Vita.

I don't remember there being an appreciable difference in note size between Dreamy Theater and F/F 2nd. DIVA X on PS4, on the other hand, has them really small. It really doesn't bother me though; I tended to abuse Micro Notes anyway and we finally have 60fps in a mainline DIVA game.

yyr

OK, I just compared screens and it appears I was wrong. F on PS3 doesn't have smaller notes than DT after all.

The lack of drop shadows and 60fps didn't help, though, and compared to the size of the screen overall, the notes still appear larger on Vita.

To anyone with the Vita version of X: are the notes smaller than in F/F2nd?

pariah164

After beating the Ultimate Medley the first time, do I have to wait and get five crystals before I can unlock another Ultimate module? Or can I play it any time with any character to attempt to unlock theirs?

emiliano

I've picked this game (with much difficulty since the ps store suddenly decided to not trust my paypal account anymore what the hell sony) and I'm really enjoying so far. New songs, and the changes in the game mechanics are not bad. I'm not super-engaged with the cloud stuff but whatever. The game works for me and works well. Little notes are not a concern since I do not play really far from the screen.

The only thing that really bugs me is that the game has a big black frame all around the screen, like the game it's not using the full 1080p resolution. The size options on my TV did not help. Anyone had this problem and solved it? Is it my TV fault?

Mandelbo

The only thing that really bugs me is that the game has a big black frame all around the screen, like the game it's not using the full 1080p resolution. The size options on my TV did not help. Anyone had this problem and solved it? Is it my TV fault?

It's probably your PS4's fault. Go to system settings -> display -> display area (or something) and try to match the display area to the size of your screen.

I've picked this game (with much difficulty since the ps store suddenly decided to not trust my paypal account anymore what the hell sony) and I'm really enjoying so far. New songs, and the changes in the game mechanics are not bad. I'm not super-engaged with the cloud stuff but whatever. The game works for me and works well. Little notes are not a concern since I do not play really far from the screen.

It may be a ps4 setting. Do other games not have this issue?

emiliano

Yes it was the PS4 screen setting, thank you both. My other game so far is Guilty Gear which don't have the issue. I bought my first PS4 only recently lol.

Playing Raspberry * Monster is probably the most headache inducing experience I've ever had in a Diva game. :| That background is just fuuuuuucked...Reminds me of a Kyary Pamyu Pamyu video.

Brain Revolution Girl is even worse. The cabaret stage is SO! DAMNED! SPARKLY! FLASHING! BRIGHT! that I can't even read the notes sometimes.

SephLuis

Brain Revolution Girl is even worse. The cabaret stage is SO! DAMNED! SPARKLY! FLASHING! BRIGHT! that I can't even read the notes sometimes.

I loved the song and the background does not bother me at all.

Only urotander rangers that I cannot read the notes properly, but I am damn sure that the chart was made for that.

I loved the song and the background does not bother me at all.

Only urotander rangers that I cannot read the notes properly, but I am damn sure that the chart was made for that.

Oh, I like the song, it's just very hard for me to read. I think IA/VT had an option to dim the background; that would be really welcome here. Or maybe I just need to git gud.

Cleared the first cloud, my brain is slowly wrapping around all the things I have to pay attention to.

I feel conflicted on the story mode aspect, on the one hand I know literally nothing about the various vocaloids and the story gives me some idea of they're personality... But not enough to where I feel the scenes meaningfully add to the game and aren't just padding. I appreciate the structure and how easy the story is for a first timer like me but I can imagine series vets must have been frustrated by a lack of hard/expert? From the start.

kagamin

Cleared the first cloud, my brain is slowly wrapping around all the things I have to pay attention to.

I feel conflicted on the story mode aspect, on the one hand I know literally nothing about the various vocaloids and the story gives me some idea of they're personality... But not enough to where I feel the scenes meaningfully add to the game and aren't just padding. I appreciate the structure and how easy the story is for a first timer like me but I can imagine series vets must have been frustrated by a lack of hard/expert? From the start.

Its better than having to do both Normal and Hard for every song before being able to play them on Extreme, so I think it was an improvement in that sense.

Its better than having to do both Normal and Hard for every song before being able to play them on Extreme, so I think it was an improvement in that sense.

Just tried extreme on the first song in the game, was surprised it wasn't that insane only got standard on it but I was expecting to fail (can you fail?) or get like sub par for a rank or something. What are the ranks you can get for a free play song.

Also I need to wrap my brain around the direction and button in a circle thing (like left/square, down/x, right/circle, up/triangle in order) since every time it popped up I derped through them hard.

kagamin

Just tried extreme on the first song in the game, was surprised it wasn't that insane only got standard on it but I was expecting to fail (can you fail?) or get like sub par for a rank or something. What are the ranks you can get for a free play song.

Also I need to wrap my brain around the direction and button in a circle thing (like left/square, down/x, right/circle, up/triangle in order) since every time it popped up I derped through them hard.

You can fail, you have like a health meter thing I guess I would call it, and if it falls down all the way you can no longer continue the song and you go to the results screen, also if you don't get enough percentage of the song complete even if you finish the song with enough health left you'll fail.

You can fail, you have like a health meter thing I guess I would call it, and if it falls down all the way you can no longer continue the song and you go to the results screen, also if you don't get enough percentage of the song complete even if you finish the song with enough health left you'll fail.

I assume the heath and % things are somewhere on the screen and replace the voltage meter. I feel like I have no idea whats happening on screen in this game I'm just playing super simon says

pariah164

f5NtkP5.jpg

Not only did I survive Brain Revolution Girl on Extreme, I beat the Chance Time, maxed out the voltage gauge, AND unlocked the module for it.

I've beaten the game. Nothing can top this okay.

My thumbs have a name, and it is Pain.

ChrisD

^Nice!

I can't actually see the drop shadow everyone always talks about with FT. The small notes also don't bother me one bit, it's actually pretty easy to see exactly what's going on... I guess I'm weird. :c

Edit: Although Nano-targets on a 50" screen are... A funny thing.

Overclocked Nano-targets on Extreme Ultimate Medley are another thing entirely :x

Just downloaded the DLC (and then stayed up until 3:45AM because of said DLC...), and I had to say this now, it couldn't wait until tomorrow when it could get its own post:

Sharing The World has the BEST STAGE OMG

The lights! The colors! The visual pop! The BEAUTIFUL MIXTURE OF ALL THREE!

Clear rank hasn't changed since DIVA f. It breaks down to:

89% (Cool + Good) / Total
5% Chance Time Clear
6% Technical Zone Clear (3% each; I forget how the formula changes if there are more or less Technical Zones than two)

which is explicitly shown in the detailed results (sort of annoying you have to push a button to show them now). You need 80% for Standard, 90% for Great, 95% for Excellent, and 100% for Perfect.

Clear rank hasn't changed since DIVA f. It breaks down to:

89% (Cool + Good) / Total
5% Chance Time Clear
6% Technical Zone Clear (3% each; I forget how the formula changes if there are more or less Technical Zones than two)

which is explicitly shown in the detailed results (sort of annoying you have to push a button to show them now). You need 80% for Standard, 90% for Great, 95% for Excellent, and 100% for Perfect.

So I have to get at least 80% of the notes for the game to say I completed a song? Cool

Does chance time do anything in free mode since you can only unlock modules in story mode now right? Outside of the % bonus to your clear rate.

So I have to get at least 80% of the notes for the game to say I completed a song? Cool

Does chance time do anything in free mode since you can only unlock modules in story mode now right? Outside of the % bonus to your clear rate.

It's actually 71.2% of all notes assuming you clear all the Technical Zones and Chance Time.

You can still trigger module change animations in Free Play by picking the module you want it to change to before starting the song. The life meter is also suspended during Chance Time, so you can't fail out of the song during it (but you don't build life meter either). Beyond that, there is no other apparent effect; in all previous games there was a visible score bonus per note during Chance Time, and in the f/F series a Chance Time Success also changed the background video a bit.

(I played a song to test this since I didn't remember if the score bonus was there or not, and I ended up getting a perfect on Satisfaction (Extreme) on record finally. lol)

SimonM7

Just downloaded the DLC (and then stayed up until 3:45AM because of said DLC...), and I had to say this now, it couldn't wait until tomorrow when it could get its own post:

Sharing The World has the BEST STAGE OMG

The lights! The colors! The visual pop! The BEAUTIFUL MIXTURE OF ALL THREE!

I hear ya! My goosebumps were having goosebumps!

And it's so awesome that you can now pair any backdrop with any song, to create your perfect mix of visuals and music. It makes the change to PV's *so worth it* to me. DLC songs coming with a backdrop that mixes in with all the rest of the content is kinda crazy.

If they just get some non-Miku stuff going with the DLC - and it kkinda has to be a lot because bbboy the others are under-represented right now - this'll quickly turn into my favourite Miku game.

emiliano

It's really bugging me how little your actual grade matters in story mode. It's either a pass or nothing, which on the face of it is fine for the purposes of progression, but the fact that it doesn't seem to save what you actually got is really irritating. I've gotten perfects and almost-perfects on quite a few stages now, only to find that the score doesn't transfer over to free play mode. Getting extra diva room guff isn't really much of an incentive to play well after getting a voltage clear :/

I found a best voltage score table hidden in the results menu which is better than nothing, but I pretty much agree with you.

pariah164

I just unlocked Miku's Super Aura Training. The first song is Holy Lance Explosion Boy on Extreme.

Welp. All aboard the NOPE train to FuckThatShitVille. That event can stay undone forever.

kagamin

I just unlocked Miku's Super Aura Training. The first song is Holy Lance Explosion Boy on Extreme.

Welp. All aboard the NOPE train to FuckThatShitVille. That event can stay undone forever.

Come ooooooonnnnn, its not too hard, if you can get both technical zones at the beginning and end you should be able to pass it. In free mode that is lol

Just keep playing that song in Free Play, tbh. It's not that hard, you just need to memorise the chart and be good at dual wielding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in cloud request a clear in gold with a * means I got the rare outfit and a clear in grey/blue (colorblind :[) with an ! Means I just finished it?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My understanding is green clear with the * = you got the max amount of voltage/items you can get from the song (easy = 2, normal = 3), gray = you didn't get the max.

Man, I really wish it didn't take clearing all 5 clouds to get the Hard difficulty, playing on Normal has been kind of boring when you're a rhythm game fan & have played f & f 2nd.

My understanding is green clear with the * = you got the max amount of voltage/items you can get from the song (easy = 2, normal = 3), gray = you didn't get the max.

Man, I really wish it didn't take clearing all 5 clouds to get the Hard difficulty, playing on Normal has been kind of boring when you're a rhythm game fan & have played f & f 2nd.

So I just didn't score high enough gotca

Went back and got all the clear *'s I missed

Also I just unlocked gifts, is they any logic to which vocaloid likes what thing or just trial and error?

Edit: *blinks* what where are these notes coming from in deep sea lily

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've been using this guide that someone linked to, maybe check the guide for f 2nd as well for some additional help.

Actually, holy crap, that guide got a nice update detailing the food & slowly including which items include events. Still incomplete, but a lot more helpful now.

ChrisD

I hear ya! My goosebumps were having goosebumps!

And it's so awesome that you can now pair any backdrop with any song, to create your perfect mix of visuals and music. It makes the change to PV's *so worth it* to me. DLC songs coming with a backdrop that mixes in with all the rest of the content is kinda crazy.

If they just get some non-Miku stuff going with the DLC - and it kkinda has to be a lot because bbboy the others are under-represented right now - this'll quickly turn into my favourite Miku game.

I didn't think anything could beat Satisfaction's pretty light-show, but it certainly does imo. Would be lying if I didn't say that it also adds to the song, I can't hate on the English soundbank when the accompanying background animations are so awesome!

I actually don't like pairing different songs with the stages, I sort of see them as one whole package deal. But the system is great regardless! If it's not to the detriment of the game, the ability to customize anything is always a boon.

Poor Kaito needs a solo song before anyone else, if DLC is to be continued. The sucker has a single appearance in X (okay, two with Neutral Medley, but does that count?), and it's not even his own song, but a trio... Also it's alongside Miku, ahaha.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, if you restart a song from the pause menu, you can try again for a new module. I just figured you were stuck with just one particular one each time you played the song, but guess I'll keep that in mind when I'm closer to getting them all.

pariah164

Huh, if you restart a song from the pause menu, you can try again for a new module. I just figured you were stuck with just one particular one each time you played the song, but guess I'll keep that in mind when I'm closer to getting them all.
You are both the hero we need and deserve. Thanks for this info.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, retried a song since I failed the technical zone, & noticed that while both were repeats, & got a completely different one. Now it's a matter of figuring out which song's chance time appears the earliest.

NOOOOOOOO, damn it, there's still randomized events of items like the calligraphy paper!??! So on top of RANDOMLY getting it, I have to hope for the game to RANDOMLY give me the ones I still need. I swear, if this is the same crap with that sketchbook....

SimonM7

I actually don't like pairing different songs with the stages, I sort of see them as one whole package deal.

I know exactly what you mean. It used to be that way for me, too, especially with the modules, since they're often derived from the original music video or accompanying art. I think the fact that I'm listening to a lot of the music outside/before the game, as well as watching the concerts, makes me less precious about the background the makers of the game chose. I just feel that some backgrounds go really well with a certain type of song, and it's so cool how well they blend with all the songs in terms of animations and effects, too.

I will say that the "stages" sometimes feel a little too apropo of the song for me, as well, though. The Urotander base for instance. Not really gonna suit many of the other songs. :D

But yeah, I totally see your perspective. Even though the notion of a certain module for a certain song has been somewhat broken by seeing more concerts and games change those things up, I still have memories of when I first experienced some songs, and if that was with a certain module I still kinda firmly associate the two. The Mirai 2013 concert created a whole lot of nigh-unbreakable module/song pairings in my mind. :D

I feel weird using any vocaloid at the lead in a song they don't actually sing the mouth doesn't match the vocals and the dancing usually doesn't feel like something said vocaloid should be doing.

Is there a good source for what the vocaloids personalities are supposed to be like? I thought the story would served to introduce people like me to the non Miku vocaloids, but they all seem fairly generic and samey in cloud request.

SimonM7

I feel weird using any vocaloid at the lead in a song they don't actually sing

Yeah, this might as well be attempted OCD murder as far as I'm concerned.

As for personalities; since all songs are written by mere mortals like you and me, it's completely up to which vocaloid someone has bought and what music they decide to make for them. Their voices and appearances do tend to factor in a liittttle bit into what songs people make, though, so if someone is squeaky and cute, their songs tend to trend a little towards that.

But different modules for the vocaloids also kinda paint them in a different light, and someone like Rin can be bouncy and happy and cute, or, well, "Lost One's Weeping" in the game is obviously not happy and cute. :)

So their only really consistent distinctive traits is definitely base appearance and pitch/style of voice.

Yeah, this might as well be attempted OCD murder as far as I'm concerned.

As for personalities; since all songs are written by mere mortals like you and me, it's completely up to which vocaloid someone has bought and what music they decide to make for them. Their voices and appearances do tend to factor in a liittttle bit into what songs people make, though, so if someone is squeaky and cute, their songs tend to trend a little towards that.

But different modules for the vocaloids also kinda paint them in a different light, and someone like Rin can be bouncy and happy and cute, or, well, "Lost One's Weeping" in the game is obviously not happy and cute. :)

So their only really consistent distinctive traits is definitely base appearance and pitch/style of voice.

So then I guess the next stupid question is in these other miku games where voltage wasn't a thing but the gift giving, accessories, and modules were... What was the point of gift giving and modules? Was it purely for playing dress or the custom concert modes?

SimonM7

So then I guess the next stupid question is in these other miku games where voltage wasn't a thing but the gift giving, accessories, and modules were... What was the point of gift giving and modules? Was it purely for playing dress or the custom concert modes?

Yeah that's part of what I think is infinitely more successful about this game. It's all more cohesive and each mode feeds into the other modes in some fashion. To me the gift giving stuff was so remote and walled off in the other games, I literally never bothered with it at all.

Yeah that's part of what I think is infinitely more successful about this game. It's all more cohesive and each mode feeds into the other modes in some fashion. To me the gift giving stuff was so remote and walled off in the other games, I literally never bothered with it at all.

Right but because of that your high scores are only saved in the free play mode which kinda doubles your play time bouncing between cloud request and free play mode. Thats fine for someone like me who isn't too concerned with uploading high scores online but for long time fans I can see why that division could be really annoying.

SimonM7

Right but because of that your high scores are only saved in the free play mode which kinda doubles your play time bouncing between cloud request and free play mode. Thats fine for someone like me who isn't too concerned with uploading high scores online but for long time fans I can see why that division could be really annoying.

Well, you get better at a song regardless of where you play it, so you shhhouldn't have to rely on luck to then go into free play and get that lovely score based on your developed skills. The modules have effects and boosts in cloud mode that would make a leaderboard kind of a hairy proposition anyway.

Mandelbo

I still haven't been bothering with gift giving and diva room stuff despite how much more it's forced on you. But then again I have been skipping all the VN sections.

SimonM7

I still haven't been bothering with gift giving and diva room stuff despite how much more it's forced on you. But then again I have been skipping all the VN sections.

Makes sense. They essentially tell you what they want you to give them as gifts in the quick dialogue scenes.

hamchan

So I'm assuming they moved to concert style for all the songs due to this medley stuff and maybe also to save some budget.

Why I think that's a bummer is because I love the story based music videos. I love that they helped convey the meaning behind the song that I wouldn't have understood unless I went and googled it. I loved that they could actually make me feel emotional. Songs like Monochrome Blue Sky and Time Machine I'll never ever forget thanks to the music videos in these games.

So here's hoping they come back in future games.

I imagine the next full miku ps4 game that isn't just a song dump will have a mix of music videos and concert stuff. At the mike concert in new york they could only ever have 2 vocaloids on screen iirc at a time and it felt weird to not have that and I like that the game does have a few medleys that give everyone a chance to shine.

Top Bottom