• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have Video Game Graphics surpassed Toy Story 1?

Hypron

You're either blind or have no idea what IQ means. Pretty sure both of your examples don't even have any form of AA.

So blurry though. I don't think that's fair.

Yeah, and Mario kart has some pretty bad anisotropic filtering; the road in front of you gets blurry real fast. IQ wise it's pretty bad.

filly

In order to get closer to a categorically correctly answer to this question you need to break it down more. What make a game/movie look good from a graphical perspective is broken down into many elements. Toy story wins in IQ, no question. However in pretty much every other graphical technique, games have far surpassed Toy Story. The true question is, would you put IQ over all the new graphical bells and whissels that we have now.

Personally I prefer the later and if you are one who prefers IQ to the degree of a CGI film then your out of luck because we won't come closed to that in realtime for a very long time by the looks of things.

I'm not sure that those pre-release materials really count as a game. Not that I care about final image quality (the final product is beautiful regardless, with a few exceptions like Colonial Marines), but it will likely not look this good in motion on an actual console.
The first screen is a .png from gameplay and it's the same model as the other two pictures. I would also say that the final product will look even better and not even that....the ps4k version! I just can't...

what if they released a 60FPS remaster

LOL. Good one.
Got a chuckle from me.
Cut scenes are certainly up there with it, but actual gameplay....maybe only a handful of titles.
Higher graphics quality is becoming more commonplace and is getting there this gen though, if not the next.

I'd say absolutely.

Uncharted4AThiefsEnd.png

7b0Uncharted4AThiefsEnd.png

Pif

Banned
Can someone explain exactly what one means with "image quality" abd why is toy story 1 above [insert new hip videogame here]

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Good point.

No, there is still plenty of shader aliasing and other issues, even at 4K. Toy Story has a perfectly stable image that we still haven't reached in real time.

At native 4K shader aliasing and other shimmer like artifacts are so rare they may as well be non existent.

At 8K downsampled to 4K. IQ is as perfect as one could dream of.

Can someone explain exactly what one means with "image quality" abd why is toy story 1 above [insert new hip videogame here]

They mean stuff like resolution

It will still be time before real time graphics exceed the quality of prerendered video even from years ago but the the tech in modern games, as well as the general quality of animation is definitely better looking than Toy Story 1. Pixar has even talked about how CG at the time of Toy Story 1 was only capable of making things that looked fake and plastic-like, which is why they made the movie about toys and don't spend too much time focusing on the humans etc.

Dunkley

I have to say Overwatch is the first game that made me feel like we did.

But comparing the two I feel at least in the texture department gaming still has a bit to go to be there. Not long, just a bit more memory and texture res and I'd say we're there.

In stills I'd say definitely in pretty much every aspect. But as soon as you put a game in motion you could see through the tricks like all the baked in stuff to simulate more geometric complexity while Toy Story would resort to actual geometry. Lighting and shadow quality is also a very far apart. Games just have really rough rudimentary lighting compared to anything like ray-tracing or whatever they were doing on Toy Story back then. In regards to IQ the difference is there as well but I believe is not as prominent as lighting and geometry for me.

The Toy Story screen shot is a bit deceiving. It looks a lot less real and more plastic-like when you actually see it in motion.

Anyway I think Ratchet and Clank reached early Pixar level last-gen.

well the no it never will. To have that IQ you need to have a server farm. Everything has basically 50x SSAA in cg movies probably. I'm just comparing character models and Kratos is eerily close.

Kratos model is way lower poly though. You can see polygon edges on his clothes, there are many things that should be modelled and are just textured.

Shading and lighting is getting really close though, perhaps when gpus finally get good at tesselation we will break the last barrier? (Save for IQ which will take years i would bet)

I would add geometry as well, even though Toy Story 1 models are rather simple, when it's supposed to be round it is round.

Another thing that Toy Story does better is motion blur. Games are still pretty primitive in that regard. Less important at high frame rates though.

Still, material shading and post processing quality has much improved over TS even in real-time rendering, and it can't be overstated how important that is. Most people will say games have surpassed TS, and that's the main reason why.
Rerender TS with the exact same models and texture resolution but with modern shading and it will hold up very well.

I think people over-extimate the IQ of the original ToyStory. I think it is probably pretty hard to judge it now becaus the recent release of it in BR have been re-rendered, not only in higher resolution but with tweks to the rendering process. The original Toy Story was rendered at a mere 1,536 by 922 pixels. (I don't mean to say that Original TS didn't have a superior IQ to today games, just puntualize that, for example, the image in OT is misguiding on the real IQ of ToyStory

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I wish I could remember where I read the quote, but they downsampled Toy Story from a rediculous resolution, and it took almost a day to render each frame. Imagine the image quality of a game if it had 1 frame every 20 hours.

That can't be right. If it took that long to render a single frame than it would take months (hell, YEARS) for the movie to just finish that process.

HTupolev

Rerender TS with the exact same models and texture resolution but with modern shading and it will hold up very well.
Pixar did an excellent job designing things to work well within the limited materials and lighting; the big standout issue the film has is with how human characters are modeled and animated.

JordanN

Banned
In stills I'd say definitely in pretty much every aspect. But as soon as you put a game in motion you could see through the tricks like all the baked in stuff to simulate more geometric complexity while Toy Story would resort to actual geometry. Lighting and shadow quality is also a very far apart. Games just have really rough rudimentary lighting compared to anything like ray-tracing or whatever they were doing on Toy Story back then. In regards to IQ the difference is there as well but I believe is not as prominent as lighting and geometry for me.

Pixar didn't use ray tracing until Cars (2006). Everything before was done through scanline rendering using techniques also available to games. Just done so at much higher resolution.

On topic though, I'd say the first Toy Story has been beat. As a shameless plug, I made this scene in UE4 that pushes the engine in both geometry and lighting.

P4vBtI8.jpg

7p9rDnD.jpg

Kratos model is way lower poly though. You can see polygon edges on his clothes, there are many things that should be modelled and are just textured.

Shading and lighting is getting really close though, perhaps when gpus finally get good at tesselation we will break the last barrier? (Save for IQ which will take years i would bet)
yup i agree but at the moment Kratos is the only character model in realtime gameplay that is the closest to cg imo.

qF9mzX.png

This is incredibly believable, they could put him in the world of warcraft movie and he wouldn't even look out of place.

vIkh7U.png

jxaaUh.png

close...but not quite there yet.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Why are we comparing in-engine to prerendered? Isn't that like saying "Have real Burger pictures of fastfood restaurants surpassed McDonald's Burger ads"!

LQX

I can't believe so many are saying yes. Have some of you seen Toy Story? No damn game looks like it outside of CGI cut scenes. Have games come a a long way and can have glorious texture work? Yes, but hell fucking no does any game I have played look on par with any CGI movie I have seen from Pixar, even one as old as Toy Story.

A-V-B

It's better than Toy Story in some aspects, but we still can't match the insane levels of anti-aliasing, cleanness of image, and ray traced lighting.

Other than raw polycount, yes, many years ago.

yup i agree but at the moment Kratos is the only character model in realtime gameplay that is the closest to cg imo.

qF9mzX.png

This is incredibly believable, they could put him in the world of warcraft movie and he wouldn't even look out of place.

vIkh7U.png

jxaaUh.png

This is an insult to whoever did the CGI for Warcraft. Kratos isn't even that impressive, and doesn't come close to actual GCI.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
IIRC nothing was changed apart from the resolution.
I am almost sure that this is not true. There was some article where someone from pixar was explaining how dated the movies looked compared to the newer works, and how they went and changed quite a lot in terms of lighting and shaders to make them look better. The movies were also re-rendered in 3D which involved placing a second virtual camera in every scene.

Hell yes. Exhibit A:

5_metro_ship.jpg

edit: Ratchet & Clank for those unaware :)

No.

The character models are worse than toy story, without a doubt. The shortcuts are very obvious.

Posting a busy (and highly faked) background is weird considering you can definitely do that for TS.

The materials and shaders are better, but are very much 'real time'.

Yes

18_rage2.png

both.jpg

kratoslow.jpg

t9detQ.png

God of war 4 as of now has almost the same fidelity as Beowulf to me.

Almost...

Compare what Kratos is wearing to what the Beowulf characters are wearing. Compare the way his hair/fur is done and how little there is to all of their hair. The kids face texture is not very comprehensive around his chin at all and the fuzz part of his hair is a texture.

No vs Beowulf.

lol

I believe it has.

Toy story still has a higher poly count by at least 2x-3x. IQ is way, way worse. Low AF on everything a few feet out.

Not really for IQ, polys and overall texture comprehensiveness. Art style, sure.

I'd say absolutely.

Nate's head is great. Everything else is lower quality, with a load of apparently obvious shortcuts to the rest of his model and the environment (low texture res, low AF).

vs TS, it depends on what you're comparing. Overall, UC4 is shortcut city.

BTW, anything posted using screen space reflections is a hell no. Even for the older stuff Pixar faked before ray tracing.

qF9mzX.png

vIkh7U.png

jxaaUh.png

Extremely detailed facial hair on both characters. Fluid simulation. Modifiers for the hair to display wetness. No polygonal edges. The SSS on the skin at a much higher quality. The light passing through the facial hair naturally.

This further example exacerbates and highlights the superiority of the movie even more.

noooooooooo vs Beowulf

We've got a few more years, guys. Not until we've hit TFs in the 24s and above (for TS1 at least. TS2 is like 1.5-2x that).

JordanN

Banned
I can't believe so many are saying yes. Have some of you seen Toy Story? No damn game looks like it outside of CGI cut scenes. Have games come a a long way and can have glorious texture work? Yes, but hell fucking no does any game I have played look on par with any CGI movie I have seen from Pixar, even one as old as Toy Story.

Toy Story has good art going for it but it's clearly a product of the 90s.

1ZhIKfe.jpg

Iv6V1HE.jpg

G4agE3b.jpg

This would never pass today.

Guess Who

Banned
Toy Story has good art going for it but it's clearly a product of the 90s.

1ZhIKfe.jpg

Iv6V1HE.jpg

G4agE3b.jpg

This would never pass today.

Yeah, I can't honestly imagine how anyone could think this stuff holds a candle to the best games of the past few years. Or look how barren and shitty the yard in this shot posted earlier in the thread looks:

hodgy100

games have beat many 2000 and before cgi games in effects and art, just not in IQ and polygons. Id argue that irrelevant now though and overall yes games now do look better than older cgi movies.

Top Bottom