• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a console just to play a single game?

Skyn3t

Banned
I did. Bought Nintendo's GameCube in 2005 to play Resident Evil 4. Sold it right after with some loss, but it was totally worth it.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I bought the Gamecube only for the REmake and even later played little else on it aside from the other Resident Evil titles. Still have all the RE titles for the Gamecube at home.

No regrets. REmake alone was worth it.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I bought consoles at launch that only had a single game I was interested in, but I always bought other games later. I did buy:
- a 32X just for Knuckles Chaotix
- a Virtual Boy just for VB Wario Land
- a Neo Geo Pocket Color just for Sonic Pocket Adventures
though.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nintendo Switch for Zelda but also knowing that we'd be getting Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing at some point too. I went months with just Zelda and it was totally worth it.

thief183

I bought a PS4 to play Bloodbourne and then I sold it, Gotta say.... I did not like Bloodbourne as much as I like _Dark Souls 2, yes I'm one of the guys that think Dark souls 2 is the best Soul game.

TLZ

Banned
PS1 for Captain Tsubasa.

I actually bought the game months before the console, lol. I stared at it day after day hoping one day I'll play it. And I eventually did. Sad but true.

pramod

Banned
PS1 for Castlevania SOTN. Now that I think back I think that and MGS were the only games I ever beat on the PS1. I later got a bunch of RPGs too but never played them.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I bought my first 3DS at launch cause of Megaman Legends 3

Yeah fuck you Capcom

It was ok cause eventually the 3DS released better revisions and games but goddamn

Filben

GC; twenty bucks for it and four controllers, just for Resident Evil.

PS3 for Uncharted 1 and 2 (okay, two games, technically). Shortly afterwards Uncharted 3 was announced and then The Last of Us and so on; the game catalogue I was interested in grew bigger so it became a good deal, the PS3.

OldBoyGamer

Banned
I bought a Switch to play BotW (although, tbf, I knew MarioO was coming too).

I bought an XboxOne to play Rise of the Tomb raider.

In both cases, I've been let down a bit.

odhin

Wii U to play Xenoblade X, just because Xenoblade is one of my all time favourite games.
So disappointed with the game though :messenger_unamused:

And now I want a Switch pretty much just for Xenoblade 2 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

DiscoJer

I bought the N64 just to play Ogre Battle 64.

And it was worth it.

Only other game I really played was Beetle Adventure Racing, which was pretty neat.

Mithos

Dreamcast for Resident Evil Code Veronica. Ended up with a handfull games total though (never planned to buy anything other then RE:CV though).
The Dreamcast was just to have something to play until Gamecube was released.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

I buy the PlayStation every gen just for GT.

It always takes that long to come out that I usually buy other games along the way.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVED Xenoblade 2 and Octopath but my biggest reason getting Switch is for this:
maxresdefault-13.jpg

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Dreamcast for Resident Evil Code Veronica. Ended up with a handfull games total though (never planned to buy anything other then RE:CV though).
The Dreamcast was just to have something to play until Gamecube was released.
My younger self is so jelly at you... God damn I was so pissed when Capcom released Code Veronica on the Dreamcast only at first but me only owning a PS2.... I was such a RE nerd. haha

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yes Japanese import SEGA Saturn for virtua fighter

Me and a mate traded in our SNES, Megadrives mega CD etc to get it. We worked out a sharing system for the console.

It worked really well.

The only down side was as soon as the shop we traded our stuff to made the trade the guy didn’t want to know us afterwards in regards to the console.

He was hyping the sale but after he basically said its import I can’t help you.

Still a great console for a while until I go the Dreamcast which was better

Ar¢tos

I bought a Vita to play Tearaway and Murasaki Baby. I still think it was worth the money.
Shame Sony released the console to die...

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was on the fence about buying a Switch until I saw how well Zelda had done, and that the WiiU version didn't run as well. Got it day one, no regrets.

Yup, Dead Rising sold me on the 360 well before the game was even out.

Something about the premise of Dead Rising just captured my imagination, even though it looked rough from the start I saw the potential and just had to play it.

My gamble paid off because not only did the game turn out to be a ton ten favorite of mine but it took a full decade for it to be ported anywhere else.

Thatkidgabara

Neo Member
I Bought a GBA day one just For Castlevania Cotm because it was Like Sotn not as good and a little to Dark but the challenge was welcomed.

octiny

Banned
Never. Though I do know a few people who literally just buy a console to play fifa, madden or COD. Never buying any other games. Seems to be quite the norm.

Sixkiller

Neo Member
I bought a Wii U just so that I'd be able to play the new Zelda when it came out. Wish I hadn't because then I'd've been able to by a Switch to play it on instead :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Nope and I doubt I ever will. For me there has to be at least a handful of games I want to play during the first year of the console’s existence.

Last edited:

S77

PS3 for Demon's Souls.
PS4 for Bloodborne.
Wii U for Breath of the Wild.

Of course I ended up playing many more games on them, but those games were the reasons I got them.

RedVIper

Banned
I only own bloodborne and the respective dlc for ps4, I've played a few other games that I borrowed from friends but yeah

Bani

Of course I bought that even twice

First time Nintendo 64, because of Mario 64
Another time, Xbox, because of Halo

Skyr

- new PS2 for GTA San Andreas -> Sold it right afterwards
- used PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4 -> kept it as it was cheap as heck

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Well, I did buy my first gaming PC just for Skyrim. Didn't own any consoles either.
Bought my PS3 basically just for The Last of Us.
Now I don't like to buy a system unless I can make a list of 20 games I'd want for it. I probably would've bought an Xbox One if Quantum Break never came to PC, though. Can't miss out on my Remedy.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nintendo Gamecube, got it for Resident Evil Remake.
Great game but probably one of my biggest gaming mistakes I made, it was just the RE machine for a very short period.

stranno

Getting another Switch (sold the last one) just for Virtua Racing.
It looks closer to the original arcade but Playstation 2's real Sega Ages featured much more polygons, 60 frames per second, much better shading/lightning, better physics. I'd say thats the way to go with VR.

bati

Briefly considered buying ps4 for Blooborne but then I had to pinch myself in the face for even entertaining such a colossaly stupid idea.

Top Bottom