• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a console just to play a single game?

zenspider

OP: Wasn't Gamecube 99 bucks then? I don't think it's the craziest thing, but skipping Metroid Prime and Eternal Darkness while you had the hardware seems like a mistake.

Personally I haven't, but single games have acted as a tipping point: Bayonetta 2, Bloodborne, Lumines Electric Symphony, and Splatoon 2 are examples that come to mind.

Switch was probably the only system that didn't have at least 4 other titles released or announced that I really wanted, but it was obviously inevitable.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Initially bought a game cube just for metroid prime... kept it and enjoyed the shit out of it for years to come.

I didn't come from money so I made sure I made good use out of things.

molasar

Banned
Atari Jaguar in 1995 for Alien vs Predator
PS1 in 1996 for Alien Trilogy
N64 in 1997 for Killer Instinct Gold
PC rig in 1999 for Aliens versus Predator
Dreamcast in 2000 for Resident Evil – Code: Veronica
another PC rig in 2001 for Aliens versus Predator 2
PS2 in 2002 for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
another PS2 in 2004 for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Xbox in 2005 for Predator: Concrete Jungle
PS2 slim in 2006 for Final Fight: Streetwise
GameCube in 2006 for Resident Evil 4
PS3 in 2008 for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
PSP in 2011 for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
DSi XL in 2011 for Aliens Infestation
Vita in 2013 for Hotline Miami
WiiU in 2015 for Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Xbox One in 2015 for Forza Motorsport 6
Megadrive in 2017 for Paprium

but of course with most of them I ended up playing more games.

TacosNSalsa

Atari Jaguar in 1995 for Alien vs Predator
PS1 in 1996 for Alien Trilogy
N64 in 1997 for Killer Instinct Gold
PC rig in 1999 for Aliens versus Predator
Dreamcast in 2000 for Resident Evil – Code: Veronica
another PC rig in 2001 for Aliens versus Predator 2
PS2 in 2002 for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
another PS2 in 2004 for Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Xbox in 2005 for Predator: Concrete Jungle
PS2 slim in 2006 for Final Fight: Streetwise
GameCube in 2006 for Resident Evil 4
PS3 in 2008 for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
PSP in 2011 for Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
DSi XL in 2011 for Aliens Infestation
Vita in 2013 for Hotline Miami
WiiU in 2015 for Stealth Inc 2: A Game of Clones
Xbox One in 2015 for Forza Motorsport 6
Megadrive in 2017 for Paprium

but of course with most of them I ended up playing more games.
Just a hunch but I'm kind of getting the feeling that you like Aliens and Predator ..I could be wrong though ..

OT: SNES for Street Fighter 2 , well my dad bought it for me ..I didn't even know what a SNES was just knew that Street fighter was coming out for it and I wouldn't have to go to those shady/grimy ass corner stores and video shops around Brooklyn to play anymore .Turned out to be one of my favorite systems ever

ebevan91

PS4 for RDR2 since the system is a bit more powerful than the Xbox One. Then of course the game got delayed so I ended up playing several other games on the PS4 in the meantime. As soon as I finish RDR2 probably in the next couple of days, I'm back to PC gaming for the foreseeable future.

Vlaphor

I grabbed the original Xbox just for Jet Set Radio Future. I liked the system quite a bit, but JSRF is what made me get it right away.

-MD-

I bought a PS3 in 2008 for Twisted Metal, years before Twisted Metal was announced.

N64 for Goldeneye, PS2 for GTA3.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Nope. I was really tempted to buy an Xbox for Mass Effect when it was announced, but ultimately I resisted. Not opposed to consoles, but my PC backlog is formidable, to say the least, so it's a case of working through what I've got. I have thought occasionally about getting a PS4 given the exclusives, but my game time is limited so its not really a goer on top of the PC.

Rodolink

Got the PS4 initially just for Kingdom Hearts 3 and God of War. Sadly the console sat gathering dust until Bloodborne came. Afterwards is still gathering dust since KH3 is still not out!
SHould have waited until the Pro came out.

Cobenzl

Megadrive for Sonic.
N64 for Super Mario 64.
PS1 for Gran Tourismo.
PS3 (again - after a 2 year break) for the last of us
PS4 for PSVR
Switch for BOTW.

Akuza89

Wonder how many people said switch for botw... Should have made a poll.

I mean I got botw on Wii u... So I held off getting a switch.... since that was really it's only game at the time....

However!

Mine would be a gameboy colour! Just to play Pokemon blue :messenger_beaming:

phyrlord

Wow I'm really surprised this hasn't come up yet....

PS4 for Destiny. The hype for that game was insane, I knew at least 3-4 PC gamers who bought a PS4 just for Destiny. We only played for a bout 4 months haha.

We loved Destiny 2 on PC, but the first raid sorta killed it for people, I just got back into Destiny 2 with forsaken.

Last edited:

ThaPhantom

Pretty much any console I buy is for a single game. I don't understand why people make that seem like a bad proposition. If you are interested in many types of games something will definitely come along that you want to play later. I bought Switch for Zelda and proceeded to pick up Mario, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Bomberman R, and Xenoblade 2 after. I bought Xbox One for Titanfall way back when and proceeded to get Halo 5, Destiny, etc... PS4 was for Ratchet & Clank and then I bought Persona 5, Nier Automata, Digimon Cyber Sleuth, etc... There will always be something to pick up later so buying a console for one game is perfectly acceptable.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I bought a PS3 explicitly for MGSIV and I hated that game. The Sony first party games from ND and Sony SM made up for it though.

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and it was worth every penny.

Andee

Gamecube for Super Monkey Ball. Played it at a friends house and was amazed by how precise you could be on the controllers.

And it pretty much remained a 1 game (well, plus the sequel) machine for me despite getting about 10 years of use. Nothing could beat some 2 player Monkey Target. And the later versions on other machines never got close to the same quality,

TheShocker

PlayStation for FF7. N64 after I watched my friend play Quest 64. PS2 for Madden 2001. Xbox for Halo. PS3/4 for MLB The Show.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Wii U to play Xenoblade X, just because Xenoblade is one of my all time favourite games.
So disappointed with the game though :messenger_unamused:

And now I want a Switch pretty much just for Xenoblade 2 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yep, I picked up a Switch recently just for Xenoblade 2!

Hinedorf

Banned
Though I already had the console, it would've been an automatic buy at the time. Sega Dreamcast was the only place you could play Marvel vs Capcom 2

I will always consider the Dreamcast the most unappreciated and ahead of it's time console.

Ryūtō

I'm buying a PS4 Pro for KH3 and DMCV. It was initially for the former, but the latter was a pleasant bonus. Before then I felt no reason to own one.

dirthead

Banned
Did it quite a few times for Nintendo games. You couldn't really be a gamer and not day 1 Mario 64 or Metroid Prime, for example.

This almost happened when I went to buy P5 and a PS4. It was the day RDR2 came out and a bundle was available, so I bought that with Persona instead.

Last edited:
xbox for halo
my friend's modded ps2 for a bunch of japanese games, like SRW
x360 for halo 3
Ps3 for mgs4
WiiU for Bayonetta 2
xb1 for halo 5
Will buy switch for Bayonetta 3.

Klondyke

Banned
Yes,
Xbox One X for Sea Of Thieves
Xbox 360 for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
PS3 God Of War 3
Ps2 MGS2

Of course i bought More Games on the systems, but those pushed me over.

Muffdraul

Sort of. I was actively disinterested in the Xbox and had absolutely zero plans to buy one. Then Panzer Dragoon was announced an Xbox exclusive,, and I thought "OK, guess I'll be buying an Xbox after all." Then I found out PDO was not being developed by Team Andromeda, but by a new studio called Smilebit. "Oh, too bad. Guess I won't need an Xbox after all." Then I heard Smilebit was mostly ex-Team Andromeda staff... so I ran out and bought an Xbox. I knew I'd be buying other games for it, and I did. PDO wasn't going to be out for months when I bought my Xbox, so it wasn't long before I bought a copy of Halo... and that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time, whereas PDO turned out to be a very forgettable minor blip on my gaming career.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Ps4 just to play the exclusives and I'm thinking of getting a switch for smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom