• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a console just to play a single game?

DonF

I practically got the switch just for BotW. I waited for Odyssey and now waiting for Smash.
Also, the ps4 I got it for mostly Battlefield 4. I was a hardcore fan of the franchise on xb360 (as hardcore as you can get on console) and got it day one with BF4... oh those sweet sweet blue screens of death. But right now I play everything on ps4 pro.

MayauMiao

I did. Bought Nintendo's GameCube in 2005 to play Resident Evil 4. Sold it right after with some loss, but it was totally worth it.

No because it would be a waste of money. If I wanted to play just one game I'd borrow from a friend.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Bought a PS4 only to play The Last Of Us, and I never even completed it. To make it worse I even got a PS3 and could just have gotten the game there instead.

On the other hand, I would probably just have wasted the cash on something else

Mokus

Skipped the PS2 era because the PC was enough for me. But in 2010 I bought the PlayStation 2 for God of War 1 and 2. Played them on a CRT TV. Amazing experience and a reason to return to the console gaming.

I bought a Fire Orange N64 when they were being sold off near the deathknell of the console for like £50 just to play Perfect Dark.

3qldlEW.jpg

Last edited:

JCK75

If I'm being honest I mostly bought my Xbox One S because it was the best price on an UHD Blu-ray player you could find, but Forza was the game I had in mind also.

Ozrimandias

I dunno if it counts but....

I could have bought a XB360.....but i bought a ps3 instead.........just for metal gear solid 4, problably the game that i was most excited ever.

No. That's why not many bought the Wii U, they didnt have the money for it. It still had great games. That's why Nintendo ditched the base of the Wii U, kept the touch controller, and called it a new console, its really more of a Wii U 1.5. That's why so many people are now buying the ports, the economy is better.

Dreamcast for RE: Code Veronica. Played every other fucking game in that awesome beautiful console and loved it.

Really miss those controllers and memory packs.

Orta

Banned
N64 for Mario 64. PSP for Ultimate Ghouls n' Ghosts. Ps3 for MGS4. That's all I guess.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Bought a Nintendo 64 to play Mario 64; a Dreamcast to play Soul Calibur; an Xbox to play Halo; and a GameCube to play Rogue Squadron.

petran79

Banned
Found a NintendoDS abandoned and bought Layton and Order of Ecclesia. Hadnt played a Castlevania since the NES days.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I got an N64 to play GoldenEye...but ended up playing much more than that on it as it was my only system at the time (didn't have PS1).

I bought a used Wii U last year to play BOTW....and pretty much have only used it for that...

I actually bought the original Xbox back in the day just to play Fable.

Then I ended up getting Call of Cthulhu, Ninja Gaiden, and some other games. Pretty solid system overall for its time.

pr0cs

Ps3 to play the OG Uncharted
Recently the oneX to play RDR2, even though I had a oneS and ps4 already

kunonabi

N64 for Super Mario 64 although there were other announced games that I had my eye on.

At first I bought a PS1 for FFVI but I ended up hating it. Thankfully, I had rented a PS1 to play Persona before that which ended up being my favorite game of all time so it worked out anyway.

Sonic Adventure sold me on the DC initially but the launch lineup was stellar so it wasnt the only game I bought with it. Ended up being my favorite console of all time.

Wii Sports got me to grab a Wii. Ended up being my second favorite console of all time.

Bought a DS pretty much just for Trace Memory at first.

Otherwise I wait until a system has 10 games I want before I jump in.

Wonkytonk

After playing Goldeneye 64 at a friend's house, I wanted the N64 just so I could play it too.

I vividly remember opening the console on Christmas day with Pierce Brosnan's face on the box-- good times.

Do it all the time.

Bought a PS4 to play Yakuza 0 then discovered the rest of the amazing library.
Bought an Xbox 360 to play Forza Horizon then discovered the rest of the amazing library.
Bought a Wii to play Mario Galaxy and then discovered the rest of the library.
Bought a Wii U to play Deus Ex:HR and then discovered the other three decent games.

dan76

Japanese 360 for Deathsmiles, then all the other Cave ports that followed. Launch model still going strong. You can cook an egg on it when it's been on for 15 minutes.

N64 for Shadows of the Empire. What an idiot!

Last edited:

Fbh

No.
At one point I was thinking about getting a Dreamcast just to play Shenmue. But I ended up borrowing the console and the game from a friend instead. And thank god for that because I didn't even end up liking it

Patrick S.

Banned
Mega Drive for Mortal Kombat 2
N64 for Goldeneye
Saturn for Daytona USA
PS1 for WipeOut
PS2 for GTA 3
PS3 for Killzone 2
PS4 for Driveclub

BANGS

Banned
Bought Dreamcast for lots of reasons but the main one was Shenmue. Bought PS2 for MGS 2. Bought PS3 solely for MGS4... both the game and console really sucked so I sold them a few weeks later lol. I bought PS4 mostly for the Yakuza games...

Horns

After seeing the original Halo on Xbox. I bought the console for that game. I kept it for the other games, but I had to have it soon after it launched because Halo was on another level when it came to FPS games at the time.

Yes - the original Sony PlayStation. I bought it simply because I wanted to play Final Fantasy 7, way back in 1998. It was a decision I didn't regret one bit and I've been a PlayStation gamer ever since.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Bought a Dreamcast for Resident Evil: Code Veronica, bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4 and bought a PS4 for Bloodborne. Totally worth it every time, especially Gamecube since I also got introduced to one of my all time favourite games, namely Metroid Prime.

I bought the OG Xbox just for Halo and found a bunch of other cool games like Ninja Gaiden.

I bought a PS4 to play Bloodborn, but also knew I would eventually play Uncharted and Last of Us. It's currently being used for RDR2. I say this counts, because without Bloodborn I would have waited for a price drop, but ended up paying full price for the console.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Most consoles i bought were “for a single game” during the time of purchase. However, I knew with every console purchase that other games will come.

Nintendo Switch for Mario Odysseey, haven't turned it on since I finished that game, terrible console for me especially having already owned a Wii U and not caring too much for Smash (although as a kid N64 Smash was bomb)

Last edited:

sabinfire

Neo Member
Sega Genesis for an uncensored Mortal Kombat.
Sega CD for Sonic CD.
Sega Saturn for Panzer Dragoon Saga.
PS Vita for Persona 4 Golden.
New 3DS XL for Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

theHFIC

I saved up all summer to get the core Sega Genesis and Mortal Kombat on Mortal Monday. I didn't factor in taxes and a second controller at the time and thankfully my parents helped me out with those despite not wanting me to get a video game system.

Ugh. Atari Jaguar for Alien vs Predator... stupid 12 year old. I should have listened to my mom.

edit to add: Forgot about Xbox just for Halo

Last edited:

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
I got my PS2 in 2009 just to play Persona 4. Fortunately the system was very cheap by then (I did buy one new from a retail store) and came bundled with memory card and two controllers.

I used that PS2 a fair bit for other games too, like Persona 3 and GrimGrimoire.

Traianvs

Always

I bought the first xbox while I was waiting for fable
Ps2 for champions of norrath
Xbox 360 for fable 2
Ps3 for dynasty warriors 7
Ps4 pro for dynasty warriors 9 ( fuck me)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Only one time, and that was the N64 for Super Mario 64.

Every other console I'ever owned, I was motivated to buy because of a number of games.

I'm usually not an early adopter..

ExpandKong

Banned
I bought a PS2 to play MGS2. I didn’t sell it afterwards though - rather, it was the game that made me say to myself “Okay, now it’s time to get one of these.”

Top Bottom