• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever bought a console just to play a single game?

ILLtown

A game can act as a tipping point, but I don't think I've ever bought a console just because there was one game on it that I wanted to play.

I got a Wii U just for Mario Kart 8. It was on sale, and that was the only game I ever bought for that system. A good deal in the end since I sold the console eventually for the same price I got it in the first place.

Technically I also got PS3 just for Demon's Souls, but I did end up playing more games on it. As a primarily PC gamer all my consoles are there for exclusives exclusively.

Codes 208

I got a ps4 for cheap to play bloodborne. Didnt last. Very long though. Down the line i would buy another for better reasons.

The closest I can probably come to the spirit of this thread is wanting a Sega CD just for Sonic CD, but there was always the built-in notion that with such fabulous technology there'd absolutely be more amazing titles for the add-on (snark aside, I really enjoyed my Sega CD).

Beyond that, when I somewhat reluctantly bought a Switch, the eventuality of Shin Megami Tensei V was mainly used to justify the purchase.

xviper

bought Wii for Twilight princess
bought 3ds for ocarina of time 3d
bought wii u for Wind waker HD

and i would have bought the switch if BOTW wasn't on the wii u

TheUsual

Gold Member
Switch for Breath of the Wild. Worth every penny to me.
Haven't owned a Nintendo home console since Gamecube.

Meowzers

I bought Xbox X to play Far Cry 5 initially. Solid investment as I knew RDR2 was coming and I play multiplats way more than exclusives.

It wasn't entirely for one game but the original Titanfall was a the deciding factor in me grabbing my Xbox One, I always really enjoy the RTS type games on Xbox and this gen I've also really loved Cuphead and Sea Of Thieves as well.

ChuyMasta

NES Super Mario Bros
Skipped snes
N64 Ocarina of time
GAMECUBE Smash
WII Twilight Princess
Wii U.... Smash
SWITCH Breath of the Wild

jadedm17

Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and Advance SP for Pokemon. Admittedly I played more on the latter two but for the OG was just many hours of Pokemon Blue.

I did. Bought Nintendo's GameCube in 2005 to play Resident Evil 4. Sold it right after with some loss, but it was totally worth it.
GameCube for Smash Bros, I was obsessed, even had a $130 7 inch monitor made for it so I could play while camping. I didn't even have a memory card for a year or even knew Mewtwo was in the game. So. Much. Smash.

WiiU was similar but Mario Kart ended up being the goto among my friends.

Briefly considered buying ps4 for Blooborne but then I had to pinch myself in the face for even entertaining such a colossaly stupid idea.

Value proposition my friend. My day one PS4 was $400 and Destiny 1 $100. I moved to Florida and in with my mom to save money when that released and it - and frisbee golf - lasted me 5.5 months of not spending. The over 1000 hours in D1 and if it was my only game ever equates to 50 cents an hour. If I threw my PS4 off the roof that would have still been well worth it.

Last edited:

MetalRain

I bought PS2 to play Mercenaries in 2017, it wasn't that well aged. Actually purchased two used PS2s since first one could not boot game disc anymore.

Last edited:

Catphish

My purchase of the PS4 was primarily so I could play MLB The Show, but I've played a lot more than that on it over the years.

MP!

ps1 for ff7 ... WORTH IT

yes PS4 for destiny... worst decision of my life

Last edited:

Dvidus

I bought a 3DS because there were rumors Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII was being remade for it.

Although I don't regret buying it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dreamcast for Soul Calibur.

PS2Slim (well after owning the OG) for MLB06: The Show because the 360 baseball offering was hot garbage.

PS3PhatBC (that I still have) for MLB08: The Show.

Most recent, PS3SuperSlim for Demon's Souls. (My phat is hairdryer loud and starting to heat up. Needs a reflow soon.)

Setzer

Last time I bought a console just to play a game was the original Xbox and the game was Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
3DO for Road Rash and a PC for Doom 2. (Pentium 60) but i did end up buying a lot more games for it.

Melo0nFarm3r

Neo Member
Yep. I bought the PlayStaion to play Resident Evil 2.

Up until that game I had stuck by my SNES and N64 but the magazine hype at the time for Resi pushed me over the edge to buy my first non-Nintendo console. It turned out to be my second favourite console ever (well, so far).

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
PS3 to buy Demon's Souls

i have a friend who was doing location work for Vampire Diaries and later Dynasty, and he would go to thrift stores all the time while scouting locations. i told him to look out for any PS3s and he found out in a week. it was $80 and came with two controllers and a few games. first thing i did was walk to GameStop and buy a copy of Demon's Souls. it was beautiful.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I didn't do it on purpose, but apparently I bought Xbox One just for Cuphead. Thanks a lot Microsoft.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I bought a Wii U just for zelda. I ended up getting tons of other games for it but I dont think I would have bought it, if not for zelda.

I was pretty pissed that version got gimped for the switch version.

-hadouken

It looks closer to the original arcade but Playstation 2's real Sega Ages featured much more polygons, 60 frames per second, much better shading/lightning, better physics. I'd say thats the way to go with VR.
I have the PS2 version, and despite the advantages you've noted, the game sound (the tire noise particularly) and physics are way off. Also bizarre they left the polygon draw distances from the arcade release. Hoping the Switch version is 60fps, 1080p with original sound, physics and polys.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Basically every console I've ever bought. Only exceptions are iterative consoles like the PS4 Pro or New 3DS, where I already had a huge library of games that would mostly play better on the new hardware, that prompted me to want to replay a bunch of stuff I already had in addition to making new games look nicer.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I bought my friend's Wii U for Bayonetta 2... And for the VC.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Didn’t we just have this thread?!!

Wii U, Breath of the Wild.

No way I’m paying $300+ for a single game.

Top Bottom