• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Head count: Do you own an AMD or NVIDIA GPU?

What brand of discrete GPU do you use in your primary gaming computer?

Results are only viewable after voting.

suikodan

Currently have three PCs, two with Nvidia (660 being the latest one) and one with AMD.

Nvidia won me with all the features (gamestream, ShadowPlay) that are easy to access. Don't know if AMD made any progress but I'm on the green team for now.

CMDBob

Got a nearly 4 year old nvidia MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III with factory OC and 2GB of VRAM. Waiting until AMD release the new Fiji cards to get something new, be it a 970 or an AMD card.

EDIT: lol 192bit memory bus making it a 1.5GB card.

Kiru

Nvidia 250 GTS

tumblr_m56u5oWvJa1qht847.gif

Seik

Banned
Rocking a 270X instead of my older 480GTX.

Honestly, I don't know when I'll change again, I don't see a need so far since all I'm running on PC are emulators, so as long as it supports Dolphin/pcsx2/etc. I'm all good.

I have two machines with nVidia 970s (my wife and I's main gaming PCs) and a third with a AMD 7950 over in the living room. nVidia's software suite has really pulled ahead of AMD in a serious way and AMD would need to do a lot more than just make better cards/better prices for me to go back to Team Red again.

nvidia gtx 970
bought it because i've never had any problem with nvidia cards till now ( still enjoy the card, but 3.5 ram thingy was disappointing, and my brother also has pc with a 970 in it and some while ago it became ridiculously loud, like it's not an exaggeration to say thzt it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner. I can hear it running even if a i am a floor below)

After alternating between ati/amd and nvidia for years, on my current system I've gone amd 6950 -->gtx 670 --> gtx 970. My first time going nvidia twice in a row. Left amd mostly over driver and software annoyances.

kejigoto

Banned
Desktop used to be a Radeon 6950 but just recently upgraded to a GTX 970 which has been pretty awesome.

My laptop has an NVIDIA 560m which I've rather enjoyed but I don't do much gaming on my laptop these days since I have my desktop.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
7970. Very happy with the performance (and I got it quite cheap to boot), but really annoyed at some of the driver problems I've had with it.

T.O.P

Banned
Had a Vapor X 290, awful optimization for some games, late drivers and meh build quality since mine died after about 2 months of use

Now rocking a MSI 970 and couldn't be happier

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M.

Still runs most games pretty well at 1080p considering its credentials as a lowest-end GTX part that is mobile-oriented and of Kepler.

(There's also the Intel HD Graphics 4600, but that usually lies dormant in most current-generation games.)

Robaperas

Second hand MSI R7 260x, the only problem I've had was with it's memory, I had to underclock it to get rid of a checkered rectangle of artifacts. Aside from that, it works really well.

You may not vote on this poll :(

Justinh

I have 2 970s in my desktop (and 2 760s just sitting in my closet).

I got a 560 as a gift, and just went with the 760 at the time. Got used to messing with shadowplay so I just stuck with Nvidia when I got my first 970 (plus, the media was going nuts for the 970 iirc when it was released).

Oh, I just remembered that I wanted an R9290 so much when it came out, then it was like...impossible to find for a good price for the longest time. While that happened, I lost all interest in getting a new Radeon until the prices stopped being crazy.

Devildoll

I have a 290X, because i got it for free.

I'm not sure if such a thing is possible. This thread will also be used as reference for my future gpu.

picking a graphics card soley on what other consumers have picked in the past is probably not the best idea, maybe as a tiebreaker, but otherwise i would tend to listen more to the professional reviewers.

spicy cho

Amd hd 6970 with their garbage reference cooler. Will replace it next month but not sure with what yet, waiting for benchmarks and load temps etc.

I'm not sure if my GPU is discreet. I think I heard it insulting the CPU behind its back.

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

I didn't even know they were spelled differently.

hodgy100

my PC has a R9-290 4GB i got it mainly because it was the best perf / price at the time for my budget.

before that i had a GTX560ti for the same reasons and before that and a HD4850 for again the same reasons.

price / perf really does control which card i buy :p

my laptop has a GTX765m its pretty good actually and seems like a console equivalent gpu good for running most games at 30fps

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Also, why did you decide on AMD/NVIDIA?

I used a X1900 XT from 2006-2009.

In 2008 I got a new motherboard and Q9450 but used the same GPU. In 2009 I disassembled my PC to move to Asia. In 2011 I rebuilt it with 8GB RAM and a 550 Ti. Last year I decided on a 750 Ti because of low power requirements and the fact it's the perfect fit to keep an older CPU like this relevant.

I will build a completely new PC probably next year. I'm still on the fence on whether it will be an ATI or Nvidia card. But it's an interesting time for graphics cards.

Barzul

Nvidia GTX 970. I've only ever owned Nvidia cards, they seemed to the market leaders when I first bought in so I went with them.

Moongazer

Nvidia with currently a GTX 760. Mostly went with them due to their cards running cooler for me. I had issues with my ati cards overheating in the past and switched to Nvidia and since stuck with them so far.

Team green, 980. 780 before, 680 before that. Did have a 5770 back in the day though.

NVIDIA seems to offer pretty great performance for my setup and I don't like the horror stories I hear about day one AMD drivers

Joey Ravn

Banned
x2 GTX 680 in SLI.

I only bought an AMD card in my life (9790), and I had such a bad experience that I, eh, "donated" it to a friend. He loves it, but I can't leave Team Green another time.

Running on slightly old nVidia on laptop and seriously old AMD on desktop.

Not writing off AMD for future so far, it works pretty well and the prices are more reasonable around here.

Top Bottom