• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Head count: Do you own an AMD or NVIDIA GPU?

What brand of discrete GPU do you use in your primary gaming computer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
GTX 970

Been on NVidia for many years mainly due to just being used to the drivers, NVidia inspector and they've had better downsampling and driver tweaks over the years.

Second reason is I join in Beta or WIP software and they tend to use NVidia and performance is always better in this early stage. AMD need the game out then do a driver update to catch up. Sometimes this works the other way but mostly it's NVidia they use.

Nothing I can do to help that. I'd love there to be more 50/50 and to go for AMD.

edit, nvm

Nvidia are bad on vram though. The 690 2GB is awful as is the 780ti costing $700 in late 2013 with only 3GB of vram. AMD offer a 7950 in Jan 2012 with 3GB of vram for much less. I tried to warn people over the 780ti on PC forums.

Lkr

my best windows laptop is amd, but i don't use it anymore
my desktop is an amd hd 7850
before both of these machines, i only had nvidia cards dating back to 2005(I think i upgraded 3 or 4 times in the span from 2005 until 2012 when i built the computer with the 7850)

I will always go AMD for my gaming pcs. 7950 with AMD cpu
rMBP has a Intel CPU and nvidia 750m
Server has Intel cpu with Intel gpu. (APU?)

Pooya

currently
970 GTX desktop
860m Alienware Alpha
650m Macbook Pro Retina 15
I have a old 460 GTX around too, using it as a PhysX card sometimes though it seems pointless these days.

before then I had a 660GTX, 260 GTX, 9800GT, 6600, 5700 FX and 4 MX. Before then I had Voodoo and Trident cards (they were horrible).

Hattori

Banned
4cN58UO.png

dmr87

Nvidia GTX 780ti at the moment, looking to get the 980ti when it comes out. I've had both AMD and Nvidia in the past but in the end I prefer Nvidia's software and drivers.

mtodavk

Sitting firmly on team green due to vastly superior software support.

Have a GTX 780, and trying to talk myself out of getting a 980ti when it drops.

exoddus21

Neo Member
Currently rocking an AMD 280X, so far so good.

Expecting to upgrade next year, depending on how's the market I'll stay with AMD or switch to Nvidia, whatever is the best within my budget at the moment.

Phazon

SAPPHIRE HD 7950 3GB with Boost

Performs very well in The Witcher 3 and hope to see good results for Batman: AK and GW2: HoT too. Later this year, I'll probably upgrade to either Pascal or a 3xx GPU

NV

Titan X

I decided on NV primarily due to the current performance profile (nothing beats the TItan X) and due to driver features like MFAA, SGSSAA, Adaptive Sync, and inject-able HBAO+ (as long as it works). Also NV has better legacy support from personal experience and I play a number of older DX and OGL titles.
When you get a Titan X? Also what resolution monitor do you use?

gelf

I've owned only 4 GPUs in my life. Right now I'm getting by fine with a GTX 660, only two years ago I was still using a GTS 250 and I can't remember what the two before that where. They were in prebuilt retail systems and I didn't really pay attention to the innards but I know they were Nvidia because I remember installing the drivers. I've never owned an AMD GPU.

I was team green up until 2 years ago, but then I got a 7870XT for $250. At the time that was +$50 cheaper than the equivalent Nvidia card. Hell a few months later the 7950 was the same price as my card or lower and Nvidia cards still hadn't really dropped in price.

I don't know if I will stick with AMD though. Lack of legacy VSR support is really disappointing. I would assume their cards will have it going forward, but they pulled support for it a few years ago, so who's to say. That's not to say Nvidia doesn't have issues. I'm still pretty happy with my 7870. I was able to get near 60fps on GTA5 a game which I think benefitted from it and I'm getting 30fps with a mix of high and Ultra on Witcher 3.

GTX 970. Before this the previous Nvidia GPU I had was a 270 GTX. With the 3.5 GB debacle, the current Witcher 3 drivers crashing all the time while browsing, and this Inno3d card cooler being absolutely horrible and whining like nobody's business during load, I'm not impressed. I'll probably upgrade to a 390X if it's good enough and better value than 980 Ti.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Currently have a AMD R290. Picked up a used one after the mining craze crashed. Otherwise, I just get the best card I can afford at the time. No real brand loyalty.

Amey

gt730 1GB.
It performs somewhere between gts450 & gtx550.
Played Metro Redux, DeadRising3, FarCry4 on this shit. Planning to torture it with Witcher3.

galaxy-geforce-gt-730-gc-400x400-imadxdhd4fgtevwz.jpeg

Radeon 7000, then a GTX 285, then an R9 290.

If I followed the pattern, my next card would be an Nvidia one when the 290 can't keep up anymore. I usually aim to buy one solid card as SLI and Crossfire horror stories keep me away, though I imagine those have improved quite a bit.

Sijil

Nvidia 770 here, always bought Nvidia cards before then it was always 3dfx cards, Voodoo 1 and 2.

Only went once with AMD, HD4670, served me well and can't complain.

OmegaDL50

HD7950 currently.

I'm holding out until Pascal comes out though and will probably pick up a 1080 GTX when it releases.

Syf

Banned
Nvidia GTX 680. Will be time to upgrade when the next round of hardware comes out, and I'll be going with Nvidia again unless they somehow drop the ball. Been very happy with their stuff for a long time.

MLH

Owned ATI GPUs for years but switched to Nvidia when the GTX 970 released.
So currently own a Nvidia GTX 970

Top Bottom