• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Plus at the bottom of the post it says they will be regular price.

Damn asterisks.

The cost of the game has gone up by like 50% or more since they moved away from adventures. The legendary dupe change helps but not by enough. I think slowly but surely there will be community pressure for them to drop the price of packs. Right now it seems like you have to drop more than WoW subscription levels of money in order to make meta decks for all the classes. That feels unsustainable.

Sheroking

They could honestly probably release Wild packs at 50% the cost, reduce the amount of Dust you need/get for enchanting/disenchanting by that same 50%.

Invested players would still purchase expansion packs at full price, new/FTP players would face a much better value proposition.

it's funny how you have to goad people into playing additional patches so they lose in fatigue when playing iceblock in brawl.

2 games to complete a play 50 quest and won both. New record.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
nah Crystal Core rogue needs to die. If it wasnt for Vanish that deck would be way less annoying and interactive. but with the way the deck is now it just needs to probably find the Exit. Cant wait to get my dust refund for Crystal core after the nerf

This isn't about Rogue so much making quest card being 0 to help out all the other classes that don't play their quest. Maybe this would make them more viable.

Fewr

I pick brawl and choose renounce darkness as my card; turn one opponent concedes, I get a free pack, fin.

EDIT: Ugh.. I was looking around twitch just yesterday for something to watch. Had I checked this thread I would have attended your post-release review. I'll check this place more often.

I'm down. Chris#110874

Why would anyone play ice block in this brawl? Do they hate fun?

At least patches is quick.

It actually was fun. I was just at a loss to how I was gonna win.

I initially wasn't gonna play it, but I got irritated by the Mind Blast Priests, so I was hoping to go against another one. Instead I faced an Unstable Portal Mage. I felt kind of bad for him because that was the original deck wanted to play. I like the Unstable Portal brawl, sue me.

Mulgrok

why is it that my opponents almost always get useful spells from elise deck. Every time i use that it gives me hot gargbage.

Hycran

Banned
I've seen streamers pick it all the time in arena, so maybe it was designed for that mode. I'm no expert, so I don't know why it isn't used in normal games.

In Arena it is a valuable weapon as minion based combat is so prevalent, and keeping minions on the board is far more crucial. Rogue is also blessed with damage on demand as well so they can always let it rip.

In constructed, rogue has absolutely no life gain whatsoever, and there are too many strong minions plus direct damage spells to make envenom weapon useful. Plus, in an aggro dominated meta, what good is using envenom weapon to kill a 3 health minion?

Fewr

Thanks for the effort guys.

I too would prefer if you let us know in advance so I can plan my schedule. I mean, if you can't do it in the end for whatever reason I'll just look for something else to do, it's not the end of the world. Not even a week in advance, if you post the day before or in the morning it's fine.

Why isn't Envenom Weapon popular?

it could be real good in a deck that could heal...unfortunately reno makes you not able to use two, and idk how well you could stay alive swinging into those things with two

i put a jeeves into my jade druid deck....this is why lol, crazy comeback from 3hp against a priest. it's pretty great when ppl get conflicted on whether to kill a 10/10 or a 1/4 lol
https://hsreplay.net/replay/jR2kYEoK72BswrNG3Yyavc

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the re-review video. I did fairly well, only got blasted once! I avoiding the On Blast-ageddon for the Marsh Queen even.

Great work as always. Makes the set releases a fun time for sure! Keep it up!

Dahbomb

8 blasts, not as bad as I thought but still not too good.

Primalfin Totem (off by 3 on this one)
Caverns Below
Lakkari Sacrifice
Living Mana
Marsh Queen
Sherazin
Emerald Reaver
Vicious Fledgling

It's actually shocking how many of the Quests ended up being 1/5 garbage tier.

it could be real good in a deck that could heal...unfortunately reno makes you not able to use two, and idk how well you could stay alive swinging into those things with two

i put a jeeves into my jade druid deck....this is why lol, crazy comeback from 3hp against a priest. it's pretty great when ppl get conflicted on whether to kill a 10/10 or a 1/4 lol
https://hsreplay.net/replay/jR2kYEoK72BswrNG3Yyavc

I love Jeeves. I used to play him in Egg Druid all the time. Dude was mvp of every game.

I need to get back to playing wild. I didn't play it at all last month. I got so absorbed into playing Midrange Paladin in Standard. It's made me feel like I'm actually playing a game that requires some thinking again. I also need some good wild decks for other classes besides Druid, Warrior, and Mage.

Is Secret Paladin still god tier?

I love Jeeves. I used to play him in Egg Druid all the time. Dude was mvp of every game.

I need to get back to playing wild. I didn't play it at all last month. I got so absorbed into playing Midrange Paladin in Standard. It's made me feel like I'm actually playing a game that requires some thinking again. I also need some good wild decks for other classes besides Druid, Warrior, and Mage.

Is Secret Paladin still god tier?

secret paladin doesn't really exist, i mean you could play it if you wanted. but murloc version is better cause can use AF. but recruits is the top one now. murloc recruits good too with AF. quartermaster is crazy. and MFB > tarim

danowat

Banned
I was doing quite well (for me at least) last season, got to rank 16 with a control mage.

Now I can't seem to win a single game, every opponent I draw is a murloc deck, which annihilates me, has something happened with the meta, or am I just getting terrible luck / I'm just a terrible player!?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I was doing quite well (for me at least) last season, got to rank 16 with a control mage.

Now I can't seem to win a single game, every opponent I draw is a murloc deck, which annihilates me, has something happened with the meta, or am I just getting terrible luck / I'm just a terrible player!?
Rank just reset and everyone got thrown in to the same are of rank

Start of the month is always tough as everyone is down at the lower ranks.

gutshot

Dahbomb and I finished our re-review. Here's the spreadsheet I used to track the scores if anybody wants to look at it or do any analytics.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QsEwVHtx5Msc7vfvH-7bCplf9LK3r_W7z9CBLrHIiAg/edit?usp=sharing

I'll take the L on Bittertide. I still think the drawback is a lot more punishing than Fel Reaver's, but apparently not enough to deter Token Druids from playing it. Funnily enough, I did correctly rate their other power card (Living Mana), giving it a 4 when the community had it at around a 2.

Humongous Razorleaf was a tricky one. I think the people who rated it highly were prob thinking of it finding a home in Handlock. I doubt Silence Priest was on anyone's radar! And most people were way off on Caverns Below, so I don't feel as bad there. Props to the few who called it though!

Fewr

I really can't get into Gwent.

All the cards look the same, I keep forgetting I can't attack the silvers/goldens, getting a moving card doesn't feel special, and there is no action at all in the actual game.

I didn't get too far (lv 3-4), but I find playing it such a chore that I'd rather turn on my laptop and catch up on emails and office work.

I feel HS is superior in many ways. For example the UI let's you know what's going on all the time e.g. I know I can't attack minions because they're hidden in smoke, or because there is a big one with a shield, as opposed to a very thin golden line around that is not intuitive (at least I think that's how it is).

Overall HS has more action; that and the RNG factor makes it more attractive to streamers and viewers from the start.

I'll spend my scant free time on HS only for now. I'm sorry, but I couldn't get into Gwent. I'd rather arrive late to HS and start from there than be a part of Gwent from beta onwards.

All the cards look the same, I keep forgetting I can't attack the silvers/goldens, getting a moving card doesn't feel special, and there is no action at all in the actual game.

I didn't get too far (lv 3-4), but I find playing it such a chore that I'd rather turn on my laptop and catch up on emails and office work.

I feel HS is superior in many ways. For example the UI let's you know what's going on all the time e.g. I know I can't attack minions because they're hidden in smoke, or because there is a big one with a shield, as opposed to a very thin golden line around that is not intuitive (at least I think that's how it is).

Overall HS has more action; that and the RNG factor makes it more attractive to streamers and viewers from the start.

I'll spend my scant free time on HS only for now. I'm sorry, but I couldn't get into Gwent. I'd rather arrive late to HS and start from there than be a part of Gwent from beta onwards.
I also dislike the low level of action in Ghent. For better or worse, HS is the best card game to get into right now.

wiibomb

I feel the same about gwent. I don't dislike it, but I find HS lots better.

Sure, gwent is a lot more competitive and "just" on how people play, but I also find it a lot more boring and lacks a lot of the personality that HS has.

What happened to duelyst?

just PM me if you do no want out of topic
The Duelyst devs started making some horrible balance decisions. For example, imagine a turn 3 Jaraxxus that doesn't lower your health and gives you two 5/5s each turn for 1 mana. And being hit by 10/10 charge minions in an aggro deck. Plus they added Ragnaros, and in a game where minions can run away to stay safe it's just insanely OP. The game became more about who drew massive burst combos to set these up instead of strategy, and the dev team got their heads up their ass and refused to the entire competitive community.

Basically, the game was loved by its fans because it had deep strategy, little to no RNG, and the better player usually won. It would never have been the #1 card game like that, but it had a fan base. One dude even put $5000 per expansion in.

Instead, they tried to become Hearthstone on a board with mostly RNG combos winning the game, and draws decide everything. They lost most of the competitive base and weren't able to gain the casual base they thought they could.

The game has lost about 15% of its playerbase month over month for the last year. It is down to about 200 concurrent monthly players, so it will die in a few years. I say a few years because the mobile version is coming out soon, and I am sure they will extend its life in that way.

Meanwhile, Hearthstone has, IMO, been on a better path. It still lacks the depth Duelyst had, but the breadth is fantastic.

Infinity Wars is actually the best card game, but no one plays it because the devs are so bad at advancing the game. Simultaneous turns, real strategic combat, and the GUARANTEE that you never get into a top deck situation. I can't express how much people should just spend a few days playing Infinity Wars to see what the digital format could offer us.

Hearthstone is the best choice because other devs keep killing their games through shitty decisions, basically. Design-wise, I wish they would add more fundamental features. My top 2 are the Infinity Wars Trading Post and Duelyst Replace.

I haven't played it, but watched lifecoach's stream few times and I still have no idea what's the game about.
Each guy has attack power. You want the most attack power on your side at the end of each round. Best of 3 rounds wins. Some cards can lower the attack of other cards.

It's a fun side game like Triple Triad in FF8, but it lacks depth and breadth.

Fewr

Infinity Wars is actually the best card game, but no one plays it because the devs are so bad at advancing the game. Simultaneous turns, real strategic combat, and the GUARANTEE that you never get into a top deck situation. I can't express how much people should just spend a few days playing Infinity Wars to see what the digital format could offer us.

Ok, I'll give that a go.

What are your thoughts on Eternal and Elder Scrolls? I'm curious whether they're worth a try.

Szadek

It's a really same what happend to duelyst, since there was so much potional for greatness.
Shadowverse isn't looking too hot right now either, since the last expansion sucks and the new one looks ever worse, because now the most crafts play almost exactly the same.

The thing is, most other CCG wouldn't have surrived a lot of the stupid stuff that HS did, like for instace the 6 months of undertaker meta.
HS is in the luck postion of being unkillable, so it can recover easily from bad expanstion as long as it gets a good one evey once in a while.

wiibomb

Alright, this one actually wasn't as bad as the other. Took me less hours to make the 500 gold.

Also, no, paladin, a light's justice won't cut it for this brawl.
ufOBd83h.jpg

Ok, I'll give that a go.

What are your thoughts on Eternal and Elder Scrolls? I'm curious whether they're worth a try.
Eternal is a straight up MtG clone. If you like MtG, you will like Eternal. While I like the existence of instants for counterspells, Eternal fails to evolve from MtGs shortcomings, like having to draw lands. 75 card decks sucks for deck consistency.

Elder Scrolls failed to grip my attention. It felt like a low polish Hearthstone with slight twists that aren't particularly meaningful. I think it can be enjoyable to go through all of the card games on Steam and try them out. Just don't put money down! Solforge is a good but ultimately shallow experience. Card Hunter has good features. Most of what is out there isnt very good.

It's a really same what happend to duelyst, since there was so much potional for greatness.
Shadowverse isn't looking too hot right now either, since the last expansion sucks and the new one looks ever worse, because now the most crafts play almost exactly the same.

The thing is, most other CCG wouldn't have surrived a lot of the stupid stuff that HS did, like for instace the 6 months of undertaker meta.
HS is in the luck postion of being unkillable, so it can recover easily from bad expanstion as long as it gets a good one evey once in a while.
Shadowverse just didn't seem different enough from Hearthstone for me to get involved. Evolve is a bad mechanic.

Blizzard gets away with a lot of shit no one else does. Lol

Top Bottom