• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2's peak CCU outperformed Bleeding Edge and is still climbing on Steam

SmokSmog

f105599d6e8b6fedffe1935a8d8102dd42f5ef9017a0125daf6539dc7307ac64.png

e578fda50f06115cdcf317443338b1c412704980bb643c2ec7989ad3d87e005c.gif

DavidGzz

I think it's length will dissuade Steam gamers until we see it for $30 or less. My Xbox friends both on console and PC are mostly all playing it on Game Pass. Something like Forza will do well because it's a huge game that can take a long time to finish.

Mowcno

This is one the most moronic threads iv seen. The game is on gamepass lol
Op is a complete helmet. Surprised he hasn’t been banned for warring.
You mean like these games that were on gamepass when they launched on steam?

iN8NDkM.png

Oh dear. This is not a fully comprehensive list but you get the idea. Atomic Heart is beating Hellblade 2 10:1. Steam is magnitudes more popular than gamepass on PC, which is struggling to get subscribers relative to on Xbox Consoles. Gamepass is no excuse.

In other news Hellblade 2 has now dropped to 42nd on steam top sellers just 72 hours after release and is currently only the 601st most played game on steam. Sitting level with 2013's Tomb Raider for current players.

ewFsHWt.png

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member
This is one the most moronic replies iv seen. The game is on steam too lol
Calverz is a complete helmet. Surprised he hasn’t been banned for warring.

Yeah it's not like we can directly compare it to other games that have launched on Gamepass

Must be the first game to ever launch on both gamepass and steam.

iN8NDkM.png

Oh dear. This is not a fully comprehensive list but you get the idea. Atomic Heart is beating Hellblade 2 10:1. Steam is magnitudes more popular than gamepass on PC, which is struggling to get subscribers relative to on Xbox Consoles. Gamepass is no excuse.

In other news Hellblade 2 has now dropped to 42nd on steam top sellers just 72 hours after release and is currently only the 601st most played game on steam. Sitting level with 2013's Tomb Raider for current players.

ewFsHWt.png

How do you explain Manor Lords then?
170k peak and its on gamepass since release?

So was hifi rush.........
Bored Married With Children GIF

JCreasy

iN8NDkM.png

ewFsHWt.png

It’s the Hi-Fi Rush and Redfall’s all time peak vs. Hellblade 2’s for me.

Damn.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member

iN8NDkM.png

ewFsHWt.png
Wow, Forza Motorsport was such an incredible bomb

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is one the most moronic threads iv seen. The game is on gamepass lol
Op is a complete helmet. Surprised he hasn’t been banned for warring.

Do you think Microsoft cares if this game actually sales or not?

mckmas8808

Wow, Forza Motorsport was such an incredible bomb

WTF is really happen with Xbox games man?! Out of their last 5 core games, only Starfield has a high concurrent number on Steam. Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, and now Hellblade 2 are all under 7k for their CC peaks on Steam. Even High on Life hit 11.6k

Their game of the generation got out played and outsold by Sony's Helldivers 2 game that most didn't even care about 6 months ago. Is it lack of promotion? Is Phil really this bad? Like.........what is it? People legit don't buy Xbox games much anymore. And I'd say HB2, Hi-Fi Rush, and Forza Motorsport are good games.

Flabagast

WTF is really happen with Xbox games man?! Out of their last 5 core games, only Starfield has a high concurrent number on Steam. Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, and now Hellblade 2 are all under 7k for their CC peaks on Steam. Even High on Life hit 11.6k

Their game of the generation got out played and outsold by Sony's Helldivers 2 game that most didn't even care about 6 months ago. Is it lack of promotion? Is Phil really this bad? Like.........what is it? People legit don't buy Xbox games much anymore. And I'd say HB2, Hi-Fi Rush, and Forza Motorsport are good games.
Gamepass is totally destroying value of games, this is a simple as that

DrFigs

gamepass isn't boosting sales like people were pretending it did a year ago. remember those threads?

edit: i do think gamepass is the biggest contributor here. but also none of those games were going to be big sellers. Forza is the only real unexpected flop from that list.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

gamepass isn't boosting sales like people were pretending it did a year ago. remember those threads?

edit: i do think gamepass is the biggest contributor here. but also none of those games were going to be big sellers. Forza is the only real unexpected flop from that list.

You think? You don't think Hi-Fi Rush would have sold more if it wasn't released as a surprise? And HB2 to me should have been a 10-12 hour game with deeper combat and got up to at least 10k peak CC on Steam.

The game totally bombed that is for sure, but for a game so short the CCU might not be the right metric.
I have been shitting on the game but I agree with this. Not quite fair to compare Hellblade 2 with like...any games in the list posted above since everyone is going to be done with the game in 5 hours lmao.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

Hi-Fi Rush is niche. The other games just suck.

Dazraell

Gold Member
Why people think single player games released during the week are somehow going to spike on the weekend is beyond me.

Games peak at launch, not days after launch.

Multiplayer games not included.
You say that, but Ghost of Tsushima was just released and had highest peak 6 days ago, which falls under last weekend and several days after launch. While yeah, it looks like Hellblade won't have that uptick, it's not really a rule that is set in stone that has to apply to each singleplayer game

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
In all fairness, this is a niche title at its core so these figures aren't that far from what should be expected from the beginning. What makes this release a failure is not its sales but:

- Being in development for so long. This is a 2-year development max.

- Setting unrealistic expectations.

- The lack of first-party games "forced" XBOX shills to prop this title, which is detrimental to its indie/niche nature.

I blame Ninja Theory for the first point. They can't take that long to make this game. Kojima set up a new studio from scratch and developed Death Stranding in 3 years, a game ten times bigger in everything. MS should have made reasonable development time a condition for greenlighting the project.

The first game only sold a million copies lifetime, this sequel was never going to be a success by the metrics used to compare it here. Microsoft decided to fund it this long anyway so that’s on them.

SJRB

Gold Member
In all fairness, this is a niche title at its core so these figures aren't that far from what should be expected from the beginning. What makes this release a failure is not its sales but:

- Being in development for so long. This is a 2-year development max.

- Setting unrealistic expectations.

- The lack of first-party games "forced" XBOX shills to prop this title, which is detrimental to its indie/niche nature.

I blame Ninja Theory for the first point. They can't take that long to make this game. Kojima set up a new studio from scratch and developed Death Stranding in 3 years, a game ten times bigger in everything. MS should have made reasonable development time a condition for greenlighting the project.

Ninja Theory took 5-7 years to make a 5 hour game with zero replayability that's basically "push forward" and "press A". All of that is on them.

Then there's the morons at Microsoft who have the audacity to sell this for FIFTY EUROS.

This show was over before it even began.

Why people think single player games released during the week are somehow going to spike on the weekend is beyond me.

Games peak at launch, not days after launch.

Multiplayer games not included.
Most big games peak the first weekend of release even if launch date is on a weekday which isn't that surprising for anyone who has ever had a job in their lives

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It fell to 54 spot in top sellers list...
:(

Yeah....every time I check Steam it goes down on the Top Selling chart.

Game Pass....I used to say its a gift and a curse. Its definitely not doing this games any favors as far as sales.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Jokes aside Bleeding Edge was so terrible. The character designs were so ghastly that I decided to try it out along with a friend as a laugh.

I don't know who this game was meant to target. It's ostensibly an arena shooter, but the action is so slow and stodgy that it works against itself. I've never played such a game with such wild imbalance issues - like, one didn't need to be a game designer or even an adult to see how horrifically useless some characters were.

Anyways. It was juvenile of me but I had fun trolling their subreddit for a week or two at the time.

I have somehow the feeling Microsoft knew that it will be dead on arrival even before the game came out. Their big announced marketing ended up to be a boring launch trailer and a post from the studio head. Even a lot of indie titles have more marketing than this…

If anyone wants some free entertainment, go read the equivalent thread on the purple forum.
The Hellblade 2 excuse train is fully loaded with passengers and their persecution complexes, and it's rolling straight down the tracks, full steam ahead.

PurpleHairForumPerson:
"Unfortunately Resetera sometimes decides that certain projects must fail. Sometimes it is because its a GAAS title and in this case it's because Hellblade 2 had the audacity to be published by Microsoft."

Last edited:
Top Bottom