• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS 2 launches to Mixed reviews on Steam (Up: now 'Mostly Positive')

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Everytime I check the Steam review...and it goes up.....

giphy.webp

Seems like Little Chicken Little Chicken is running around with his head cut off.

Who agrees with me?

Lesson here is never count your chickens before they hatch.
heart-love.gif

I'm happy to see that the moderately successful launch of GaaS title HELLDIVERS 2 has managed to turn around, delivering fun co-op experiences to roughly 350k people across Steam and PS5, despite the probability of sales and engagement starting to taper off over the next week or so x

NonPhixion

heart-love.gif

I'm happy to see that the moderately successful launch of GaaS title HELLDIVERS 2 has managed to turn around, delivering fun co-op experiences to roughly 350k people across Steam and PS5, despite the probability of sales and engagement starting to taper off over the next week or so x
It’s roughly a million actually. I think you’re quoting the concurrent players number.

Haha taper off? Well chicken has confirmed sales will continue to be strong over the next week or so.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
heart-love.gif
"moderately successful" 🤣

Mortisfacio

Everytime I check the Steam review...and it goes up.....

giphy.webp

Anyone who actually read the first 24 hours of negative Steam reviews should have known it would go up over time. The largest batch of complaints was inability to play multiplayer due to server issues. That's since been fixed.

is the PC performance better? I might buy three Steam copies (myself and two of my kids). Some in here were complaining about monetization and progression but I can’t find any info anywhere, are they actually bad?

is the PC performance better? I might buy three Steam copies (myself and two of my kids). Some in here were complaining about monetization and progression but I can’t find any info anywhere, are they actually bad?
You cant really p2w in this game. You can pay to unlock additional warbonds( battle passes) but the unlock in them are tied to game progress. You cant just buy it to advance you need to play to earn the items in the warbond. And the paid warbond can be unlocked by play too so it really just saves you about 20 hours or so of play but thats it. Also the default warbond that everyone has access to is better anyway. The way they balanced warbonds is how all these types of games should work imo.

Timestamp 6:45

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
heart-love.gif

Well good thing they sold the game for $40 then.

eerik9000

Sony’s not always that smart. Maybe decades of partnership before they buy them like Insomniac
Incomniac did not wanted to get acquired. They had a phase where they wanted to work on new IP that they owned. They had to get burned by EA (Overstirke/Fuse), flop with Microsoft (Sunset Overdrive), scale down to small indie budgets with GameStop (Song of the Deep) before they crawled back to Sony and did Ratchet and Spider-Man.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
When can we expect the tweet in which PlayStation welcomes Arrowhead to the family?

I'm not so sure this happens.

I think the Helldivers concept and IP is valuable to PlayStation but I'm not certain they loved working with Arrowhead for almost 9 years to get a buggy PS4 feeling game out.

This kind of feels like the opposite of Housemarque. Returnal (likely) bombed but the studio got the game out in 4 short years and looked + played like a modern AAA effort. Helldivers 2 is a huge success but Arrowhead may not have the chops.

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not so sure this happens.

I think the Helldivers concept and IP is valuable to PlayStation but I'm not certain they loved working with Arrowhead for almost 9 years to get a buggy PS4 feeling game out.

This kind of feels like the opposite of Housemarque. Returnal (likely) bombed but the studio got the game out in 4 short years and looked + played like a modern AAA effort. Helldivers 2 is a huge success but Arrowhead may not have the chops.
This all sounds like treason to me!
Ps5 Wow GIF by PlayStation

Video Games Explosion GIF by PlayStation

7lYFzmG.jpg

Almost 80% now.

Also, it's pacing ahead of the previous CCU. We may see a new record peak today.
For a game that has sold around 1M, it will have over 500k CCU during this weekend, if not more. Incredible results for a game that seemed like nowhere to be seen before release.

This shows how old-school promo doesn't make sense right now: E3 demos, multiple trailers for years...and for what? Games just come out and if they are good, they smash. It's that simple.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
For a game that has sold around 1M, it will have over 500k CCU during this weekend, if not more. Incredible results for a game that seemed like nowhere to be seen before release.

This shows how old-school promo doesn't make sense right now: E3 demos, multiple trailers for years...and for what? Games just come out and if they are good, they smash. It's that simple.
By my estimates, the game has sold ~2.5 million copies by now across PC and PS5. 🔥

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So for now, GT7 and Helldivers 2 are incredible results for Sony (even if for some reason Sony doesn't consider GT7 as a live game lmao)
+ MLB, which has been consistently performing very well. And Sony does count that as a live-service game.

Excellent start so far. If other live-service games are even half as good and fun as Helldivers 2, we're in for a treat. 🔥

Top Bottom