• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLDIVERS 2 launches to Mixed reviews on Steam (Up: now 'Mostly Positive')

TrebleShot

That made me feel old, ngl.
I wasn’t born in 99 I’m 35 , that’s in reference to the historic Treble Manchester United won in 99 I had to add it cos the plastic blue dickheads won a treble recently via cheating and didn’t want anyone to mistake it for their bullshit.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You fix the worst hit community first.
Also, the Steam reviews are the most public reviews out there, so it’s to their benefit to turn that around quickly so it doesn’t impact sales

Steam does not need developers to go through an auth process to push a patch out, Sony does. It's simply a difference in the level of oversight between platforms. They can literally push out a hotfix on Steam as soon as they think it's ready, for PlayStation Sony need to receive it, test it and sign it off before deployment.

Last edited:
Will this thread backfire as bad as the "Starfield launches on Steam to positive reviews"?

Most likely. Based on this language breakdown it looks like most of the negative reviews are coming from Chinese players, while English speaking players gave the game positive reviews.
image.png

yurinka

Most likely. Based on this language breakdown it looks like most of the negative reviews are coming from Chinese players, while English speaking players gave the game positive reviews.
image.png

maybe they are just mad that the rootkit prevents them cheating
Maybe all those democracy jokes 🤣

No, these percentages are basically the same than in the Steam hardware survey, meaning users and reviews are from mostly non-Chinese users like in the rest of the Steam games.

DZcqlyi3trLE.png

I assume the Chinese will find fun to see a satire making fun of USA "spreading democracy and freedom" to other countries and "defending their lifestyle" massively killing other ones.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

No, these percentages are basically the same than in the Steam hardware survey, meaning users and reviews are from mostly non-Chinese users like in the rest of the Steam games.

DZcqlyi3trLE.png

I assume the Chinese will find fun to see a satire making fun of USA "spreading democracy and freedom" to other countries and "defending their lifestyle" massively killing other ones.
The stats weren't about who was mostly making the reviews. It was that Chinese speakers have the most negative reviews proportionate to positive ones.

I Mean the numbers are there, of 3000+ negative reviews, 2000 of them are coming from China and Chinese speaking users...

Last edited:

DZcqlyi3trLE.png

That has nothing to do with what I have posted. :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Once again there is no pay to win in this, you buy points to buy cosmetics, there are no purchases against guns or equipment, its exactly like SS. In SS you need to pay something like $30 for some skins.

Where does one obtain the explosive rounds version of the assault rifle in the free-to-play track? Or the incendiary version of the shotgun? Quibble all you want about the difference between "pay-to-win" or "pay-to-power", but there are absolutely weapons (and some armors) within the premium Warbond that do not appear to be available in the free Warbond.

. . .all of this is to say is that it is not quite the same as SS, which is - at the moment - a purely cosmetic MTX situation versus this game.

TrebleShot

Where does one obtain the explosive rounds version of the assault rifle in the free-to-play track? Or the incendiary version of the shotgun? Quibble all you want about the difference between "pay-to-win" or "pay-to-power", but there are absolutely weapons (and some armors) within the premium Warbond that do not appear to be available in the free Warbond.

. . .all of this is to say is that it is not quite the same as SS, which is - at the moment - a purely cosmetic MTX situation versus this game.
How do i buy the premium warbond?

Pop

All I get out of this is Steam players(probably primary PC gamers) are very sensitive. Run to downvote immediately when the slightest inconvenience happens.

The "problems" lasted a couple of hours

TrebleShot

With money? At least in the US that's how one can pick it up.
Sorry I cant find it, I can buy points to spend on cosmetics but I cant buy points to spend on medals earned through missions which is how you unlock the premium battle pass items.

All I get out of this is Steam players(probably primary PC gamers) are very sensitive. Run to downvote immediately when the slightest inconvenience happens.

The "problems" lasted a couple of hours
As much as I love the game, the matchmaking is still fucking borked on PC. I've tried to join a bunch of different games through the mission menu and it never works. Luckily I've been grouping up with people on here, otherwise it would be almost impossible to play on anything harder than easy/medium. Also, these bad reviews get picked up on, so it's a good thing.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Sorry I cant find it, I can buy points to spend on cosmetics but I cant buy points to spend on medals earned through missions which is how you unlock the premium battle pass items.

Sure; that's how you unlock the actual items - you still have to fork over funbucks if you want to instantly get access to it (which you can do automatically or through grinding the game).

. . .the system is certainly fairer than other Battlepass systems, and given that you can bank medals and save them for when a Warbond has something interesting (as they don't expire), however - at the moment - there are most definitely items with gameplay impact in the premium Warbond that don't seem available in the base game or free Warbond.

StueyDuck

As much as I love the game, the matchmaking is still fucking borked on PC. I've tried to join a bunch of different games through the mission menu and it never works. Luckily I've been grouping up with people on here, otherwise it would be almost impossible to play on anything harder than easy/medium. Also, these bad reviews get picked up on, so it's a good thing.
I just came out of a 3 game spree with multiple crews of randoms.

Can't say in having that experience at all. In fact my biggest issue was finding how to turn match making off because we just wanna play as a small crew

TrebleShot

Sure; that's how you unlock the actual items - you still have to fork over funbucks if you want to instantly get access to it (which you can do automatically or through grinding the game).

. . .the system is certainly fairer than other Battlepass systems, and given that you can bank medals and save them for when a Warbond has something interesting (as they don't expire), however - at the moment - there are most definitely items with gameplay impact in the premium Warbond that don't seem available in the base game or free Warbond.
I still cant find where I buy the medals to unlock the premium battlepass items? am I missing something? to me it looks like you cant buy medals? so you cant unlock them in the battle pass? im just going to triple check this, feel like im going mad.

TrebleShot

Yeah just checked again, yeah you cant buy BP items.
There are premium items that looks like you can purchase, but I haven't spent a penny and had 120 fun bucks so there must be a free way of earning them.

I dunno man, seems like a lot of people just assumed there was premium items that you can buy to win, not you by the way - just in the wider scope of views and opinions.

ManaByte

Yeah just checked again, yeah you cant buy BP items.
There are premium items that looks like you can purchase, but I haven't spent a penny and had 120 fun bucks so there must be a free way of earning them.

I dunno man, seems like a lot of people just assumed there was premium items that you can buy to win, not you by the way - just in the wider scope of views and opinions.

You have to pay for the Premium battle pass to unlock it. It doesn't come with the base $40 game.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I still cant find where I buy the medals to unlock the premium battlepass items? am I missing something? to me it looks like you cant buy medals? so you cant unlock them in the battle pass? im just going to triple check this, feel like im going mad.

The premium Warbond is bought with Super Credits; you do not actually buy the medals - those you get from just playing the game. I have the Super Citizen edition so there was no option to purchase this one, but that is how the Warbond system works.

Game is awesome, and will be a hit. Some server issues are unfortunate but hopefully all ironed out by the weekend.

Now to see if the game remains just a very nice success story, or if it can cross over into more mainstream and become huge. It has a lot going for it.

TheMan

Not a single
69% now, nice.
nice

For real though, played a bit last night and it was just ok in terms of control and gun feel. That’s just a very quick first impression though. Played one mission solo. Tried to play with a team but we weren’t able to launch the mission due to a bug. I’ll put more time in tonight

Killjoy-NL

Exactly.

And some devs fix it within 24 hours and others weeks or never.

If you had plans to play opening hours with a friend and this happened , you would have been burned and pissed.

Reviews of bugs/network issues etc are the most valuable ones.
Could be me, but the main issue is with matchmaking, not with co-op.

Afaik there haven't been major issues with joining friends.

Not that it dismisses the issues, but it's not impossible to co-op at all.

Mortisfacio

If you looked at the first 10 hours or so, steam reviews largely boiled down to 3 things:

-Power locked behind warbonds, with real money routes to purchase
-Anti-cheat
-Server instability and unable to play multiplayer

3rd was a large part of the negative reviews I saw, so obviously since fixed this will trend better. 2nd will have those that remain stern on their decision and others that give in due to FOMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom